How many of you got over your fear of spiders?????

SallyKay

I have been to Australia (all over) 4 times for probably about 18 months in total. Ive seen loads of spiders, but no funnel webs and only one huntsman. I am petrified of spiders, however when i was on the WHV I did seem to get marginally better and not scream and panic when i saw them. The huntsman i saw was in a childcare centre staffroom on the wall in sydney. It was huge (like a tarantula). They put a pot over it and its legs moved out coz it was scared, but they put it in garden and never saw it again.

I must admit i will be out there again in 2weeks, and I am having nightmares about huntsmans. It is just there size. When i was out there in April to validate I think I saw one run across the train track in Altona, and spent the next 5 minutes waiting for the train and worrying that it was going to come up on the platform.

I dont know that I will ever get used to the big ones, but am definitely going to spray, and hope for the best. When we find a permanent place the first thing im going to do is introduce myself to the neighbours, so i can call on them if ever i need one removed. Hehe!

'before we move', Have I missed something?

I don't know. You may not have read all my posts. Its ok, my eyes would glaze over also at the thought of having to do that.

In my posting history I talk about where we currently are and where we plan to be next year. Hubby has some serious bike riding in various parts of the UK and Europe and a few other things he wants to do. I've also got some loose ends to tie up before we all head back to Aus :)

Guest Trueblue22

I don't mind spiders as long as they're not massive, but my ultimate paralysing fear is cockroaches........eurghhhhhhhhh fast and crunchy!!!! :shocked:

Guest lisa crowe

LOL...Love this post...So many people back home think Aus is crawling with killer insects/spiders...Truth? Yes there are spiders that will give you a nip if they feel threatened, but their not hanging out on street corners with base ball bats ready to attack you!...In NSW/Sydney the funnel web is one of the worst (5 months never seen one)....I have seen 1 hunts man, in a house I went to view, it minded its own business, didnt jump off the ceiling to attack me!!...Please don't let the scary crawly thoughts put you off, it really aint that bad..Now cockroaches!!!!!! ewwwwww

I don't know. You may not have read all my posts. Its ok, my eyes would glaze over also at the thought of having to do that.

In my posting history I talk about where we currently are and where we plan to be next year. Hubby has some serious bike riding in various parts of the UK and Europe and a few other things he wants to do. I've also got some loose ends to tie up before we all head back to Aus :)

Missed that. Too much posted daily to see everything

I defo don't like spiders, I have watched some vids on Youtube and seen some monsters on ere, but I wouldn't let it stop me from moving to Oz. We lived in Sydney and never saw one spider. Only spider we saw was in Katherine, a red back outside Woolies on the pavement and it was dead.

I live in Spain and thought the place would be crawling with them, it's not (I hope I have not just jinxed myself and see a whoppa later). I have just returned from the UK and I could not believe how many spiders I saw there. Even had one in my Mum's lounge, I leapt onto the sofa screaming like a banshee and nearly gave my Dad a heart attack screaming until he dealt with it.

I would do as the Yocals do, get the bomb things for inside and some hob nail boots:biggrin:. It always make me smile when people stay they stamped on the spiders when I think of the size of them:err:

good thread!! Ive been to Aus twice, once for 6 months, once for 3 weeks. Saw one huntsman the time i was there for 6 months, and saw one white tail and one huntsman when i was there for 3 weeks!!

but have to say, despite knowing there arent creatures EVERYWHERE, I still worry about what I would do if there was one in my house, should we eventually make the move! horrible things!!

Only been here 6 weeks but haven't seen any spiders yet (nor on either of my Recce trips). The one weird thing I did see the other day (and did freak me out a little) was a huge pile of caterpillars on the pavement. No idea what that was about - maybe it's normal in Australia?

Thanks so much for all your replies! I know I have tortured myself by watching too much on you tube but I wanted to be prepared for what I may face as my biggest fear was seeing one of the buggers whilst my husband is at work and trying to get it out the house!!! I know for sure that I'd definitely need some kind of therapy if we went as it would ruin my initial months as I'd be checking everywhere!! Crazy huh?!! I have seen some people use a Hoover to suck them up with the larger ones and release it outside unharmed. Anyone tried this? Although I don't like them I don't think I could squish them!! Wouldn't be able to get close enough even if I wanted to!! The Hoover idea sounds the easiest method although I'd probably struggle to even do that especially if they were on the ceiling!!! Oh my god I can feel myself getting anxious already and I'm not even there yet!!!!!!!!!

Hello SallyKay

Yes, we use the vacuum trick if there is a spider which cannot be sprayed or not within reach of a rolled up newspaper. It works, not sure if they survive, you can spray insect killer in the suction end after the spider has been trapped as long as you do not breathe in the exhaust coming from the outlet of the vacuum. But seriously in the suburbs and in a modern house regularly sprayed insects are just not a problem. In fact the insect situation in Australian homes is much better than in most homes in the UK because all modern homes generally have fly screen on all windows and doors so the windows can be left open at night without blessed flies and mossies getting in. I wish the UK would move to fly screens because they are so sensible.

When looking for a house in Australia it is best to avoid houses where the garden comes right up to the house walls. Anywhere north of Sydney is prone to white ant (termite) problems. Now these little critters are something worth worrying about. Ideally a house should be surrounded by a narrow strip of concrete separating the walls from the garden which keeps out garden pest and also makes it obvious if termites are trying to enter the building. Always get a house inspection when buying just in case the woodwork has termite damage.

Only been here 6 weeks but haven't seen any spiders yet (nor on either of my Recce trips). The one weird thing I did see the other day (and did freak me out a little) was a huge pile of caterpillars on the pavement. No idea what that was about - maybe it's normal in Australia?

If black and hairy then probably Spitfires. Keep well away.

I got used to them. I loved them in the UK and often rescued them out of the bath. However, here, because I didn't know if they were safe it was kill them quick. I had nightmares for months about being bitten and was really scared at night.

over the years I have got used to them, no longer fear them, but are aware and cautious at times.

I visited the Gold Coast for almost two months and saw a few spiders in the garden and out and about, but only about five in total in the house. One was this bad boy...

164534_474159970949_5023388_n.jpg

On the way home from the airport I heard Mark telling his mum he had removed a tissue box in the room we were sleeping in, that contained a whole brood of redbacks. And we found a white tail in the bath. But other than that, didn't see any others. Didn't see a single snake for the whole visit!

I did get a couple bites I think, but they must have been in my sleep.

I thought they were harmless too until a friend of mine got bit by a huntsman in her washing basket. She has been very ill and back to the hospital/doctors 3 x now! she is finally getting better, more than a week later.

I never kill huntsman. Just place a glass over them - they move into the bottom of the glass - then place a plate over the top and let them loose outside. They are harmless.

Alot of people here seem to use the word 'Harmless' if it cant kill you...lol. There are alot of spiders out there that give a very painful bite and make you really ill.. Rules in my house are if it has more legs than me then its being squashed..lol

x

That sounds like a plan and I'm with you totally lol

I know they are a bit more serious than a bee string, (You do swell up a bit) but I didn't think they were that bad. Did she have an allergic reaction?

I thought they were harmless too until a friend of mine got bit by a huntsman in her washing basket. She has been very ill and back to the hospital/doctors 3 x now! she is finally getting better, more than a week later.

Archived