I want to go home so much... Husband wont.

Guest moonwalker

Yes the UK economy is finished don't believe people who tell you otherwise. Look at the prediction for Europe, 20 graduates for every job vacancy. Australia is still growing and the standard of living is much higher.

As for education, yes it's much different in Australia but not in a bad way. Kids don't grow up as fast and a lot of emphasis is placed on social skills rather than on the academia, at least in the early years.

So, when will you be starting your new job as head of the world bank? Afterall, you are saying you can forecast better than anybody else what the economies are going to be like in a year or two.

Nobody knows what the Oz economy is going to do, but you can expect some big changes. If mining continues to slow the WA and QLD economies are stuffed and they have been paying for the rest of Oz for the last few years. The goverments mythical surplus has now long disapeared and sweeping cuts will have to happen to make up for it as it isnt going to get much from the Mining Tax.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate it when people go on about the education systems between the UK and Oz.

Me too. It's almost impossible for any one of us to really know how they differ because any one of us only sees a tiny piece of each system and not the whole deal. And yet people feel qualified to make sweeping statements about the relative merits of one system vs the other from that tiny experience, more than they feel qualified to do so on many other subjects

If that was so important, keep the $30k+ the move will cost and send little Johnny to a good private school in the UK

Agree in principle, sadly that $30K will only cover the fees for one child for one year so it's not as simple as that....

To the OP,

Have you thought about going to see your GP or a counsellor and talking to them about your stresses and situation? I can't help but wonder if there are some coping / management techniques that a professional might be able to help you with so you can work through things and make the right decision.

Whatever that decision might be!

I think you truly need to look deeply within yourself, to ask yourself why you really want to go home. Set aside any reasons associated with the children and their schooling. Just focus on you. Do you miss your family? Do you miss places and landscapes in the UK? What is it precisely that you feel is missing here?

Then once you have the answers to those questions, ask yourself that can any of these things be rectified without moving permanently back? For example if you miss family, why not plan a 3-4 week holiday back next year, and take the whole family. If you miss places and landscapes, a holiday will also help but you must remember that these places will be there in 5, 10 or 15 years too.

I personally find that as you become more familiar with somewhere, you tend to get on with living a bit better and focus more on the present. I sense that you probably came over here with the intention of staying permanently. That tends to contribute to a sense of unsettledness as you feel trapped. Try to give yourselves a time limit to reassess your position here, maybe another 6 months, maybe 10 months or so. Once your husband is over his 'honeymoon' period with Australia he may one day envisage going back to the UK again. My OH always said he never wanted to live in the UK again. This made me pretty sad as I've always wanted to move back. But nowadays, as he finds more things he dislikes about Australia, he has softened in his view and would go back, providing we can achieve what we want to there. He has even been looking on Right Move keeping an eye on property prices in Devon!

The best thing to do, when feeling as you are right now, is to persuade your heart that you are here for a big adventure as a whole family. Get the maximum out of life here, and whilst you still may feel like you don't belong here, you're actually having a really good time and the experience will give you and your family some great memories and experiences.

I occasionally get down and long to be in green countryside, down on the beach in Cornwall or on Dartmoor on a high tor. But then I remind myself that there's still so much of Australasia that I want to see, I'm not done with this continent yet!

Guest chris955

There are some amazing generalisations being made in this thread and ridiculous statements like the UK economy is finished dont help. I understand people living happily here want to see the place they left as struggling and beyond hope, that unfortunately is human nature. Australia is set to go through some very painful times and anyone who cant see it is kidding themselves.

This of course doesnt help the OP in what is an incredibly difficult situation.

So, when will you be starting your new job as head of the world bank? Afterall, you are saying you can forecast better than anybody else what the economies are going to be like in a year or two.

Nobody knows what the Oz economy is going to do, but you can expect some big changes. If mining continues to slow the WA and QLD economies are stuffed and they have been paying for the rest of Oz for the last few years. The goverments mythical surplus has now long disapeared and sweeping cuts will have to happen to make up for it as it isnt going to get much from the Mining Tax.

Hi,

I haven't emigrated (yet!!) so I can't give you any advice from a personal point of view, BUT, my parents live in Aus and because of my Dad's job have moved about a bit, all over the world. One time, the company he worked for, apid for all emigrating employee's and their families to have a session with a psychologist to talk about the emotional rollercoaster that is emigration.

They have told me that you should expect to have 2 highs and 2 lows during the process (not everyone experiences 2, but this is generally the norm). When you first arrive, you are on a high, as it is an exciting new experience, after things settle you will experience a low as you settle into what becomes normality in your new life, you may miss friends family etc. As you start to meet more people and do more, you go back up on a high to some degree and most stay there.

Anyway to cut a long story short, the psychologist said, that this happens over a 2 year period for most, so going on that basis, I would say, try and stick it out for that time-frame, I know you are struggling, but there must be reasons why you left the UK, and would splitting your family up help your feelings once back in the UK?

Maybe book a holiday back to the UK in a years time, and see how you feel about it then??

Hope this helps,

Melissa x

Hi Moonwalker,

I've read all the posts & sensed your anguish - there is some good balanced advice in here (& a few little sparky bits - hey - it's a forum - it goes with the territory!)

I can't relate to your homesickness & therefore (as another poster put very well) can't walk in your shoes....in that anyway....

But I am a Mum of two, now grown up sons.

They, because of my life experience at the time, had a very broken education - moved several times & family life was strained & that's putting it mildly....

Son No.1 was 'academically' the one who found school easier....although home life interrupted his concentration - often.

Son No.2 struggled at school & was also asthmatic - often brought on by stress of circumstances....he left school with only one GCE....in Computer Studies.

When children are young, the mother - in particular - is the strongest educator - & the father if there is one still present.....

From what you have said, you are already doing everything you can to get over, or at least reduce your own homesickness....but I guess what I am saying is don't worry too much about your son's perceived position in the 'education system'....with one strong & loving parent - let alone two, which I'm sure is the case in your family - he - in fact all children can achieve great heights.

Son No.1 later went to University & now, many years on is a lecturer in English at a Korean University - & is happily married to a beautiful Korean interpreter...

Son No.2 used his one GCE to get a great job (with computers) rose to become CEO, moved companies several times, (was even 'head-hunted') became very respected for his expertise & has now 'retired' in his mid forties to run his own business & has absolute financial security. Plus beautiful home, wife & child.....

All I am saying is that keeping your family together (unless there's violence or cruelty) is soooooo important....the rest can wait....perhaps not go away for ever - but wait.

With strong parent/s children can reach for the stars - where-ever they've received their education....

Edited by Galahad
typo

Hi,

I haven't emigrated (yet!!) so I can't give you any advice from a personal point of view, BUT, my parents live in Aus and because of my Dad's job have moved about a bit, all over the world. One time, the company he worked for, apid for all emigrating employee's and their families to have a session with a psychologist to talk about the emotional rollercoaster that is emigration.

They have told me that you should expect to have 2 highs and 2 lows during the process (not everyone experiences 2, but this is generally the norm). When you first arrive, you are on a high, as it is an exciting new experience, after things settle you will experience a low as you settle into what becomes normality in your new life, you may miss friends family etc. As you start to meet more people and do more, you go back up on a high to some degree and most stay there.

Anyway to cut a long story short, the psychologist said, that this happens over a 2 year period for most, so going on that basis, I would say, try and stick it out for that time-frame, I know you are struggling, but there must be reasons why you left the UK, and would splitting your family up help your feelings once back in the UK?

Maybe book a holiday back to the UK in a years time, and see how you feel about it then??

Hope this helps,

Melissa x

What is the 2nd low?

Well said Galahad. I am also like Meljayg. We are in the process of moving to Perth. I have 2 boys 14 and 10, my eldest is very academically minded whereas my youngest does not and probably will never like school. I have several friends living allover Australia. They all say that younger children are taught in a very different way, however they all stipulate this is not a bad thing and all leave school with the education and social skills that they need.

It is very hard for anyone to advise you what to do. Go with your gut instinct, however one thing I do believe is that a happy child is more fortunate than an academic genius. I feel splitting your family could be more detrimental than a different teaching method at school.

I truely hope whatever decision you make is right for both you and your family, good luck xx

Oh, and as for the worries with schooling, I emigrated with my parents (obviously) to New Zealand when I was 5 where we lived for 5 years before coming back to the UK, I never really had any probs getting back into it, kids are very resiliant........look where I am now :cute:.

Living out there gave me the knowledge that the world is out there to be experienced and I want the same for mine, we already have a very well travelled 6 year old and the baby is off to Aus with us on his first hol next year!!

Right - for the people who keep saying the UK is finished, would you mind at least expressing why and give tangible evidence where we can all see it for ourselves instead of just typing gibberish on a forum? I'd like to know myself how Oz is better (economically - if that's what you mean) than the UK or any other country that is supposedly going to the dogs for that matter

Thats the question I was asking too!!!

Thousands of mining jobs have been axed in WA in the last 2 weeks alone since the price of iron ore dropped to $90 a tonne. All the money floating around providing mortgages and finance for new cars etc (which is unbelievably easy to access here) is all credit provided by banks from the money taken in from the mining industry. Its a bubble waiting to burst. Price of commodities drops, jobs go, mortgages go into arrears, we all know the rest cos it has been happening worldwide for the last 4 years!

I can totally understand how you want to go home and Im in the same position myself. I hope you and your husband can come to some kind of amicable agreement, he may surprise you and return with you if its what you really want!

Thousands of mining jobs have been axed in WA in the last 2 weeks alone since the price of iron ore dropped to $90 a tonne. All the money floating around providing mortgages and finance for new cars etc (which is unbelievably easy to access here) is all credit provided by banks from the money taken in from the mining industry. Its a bubble waiting to burst. Price of commodities drops, jobs go, mortgages go into arrears, we all know the rest cos it has been happening worldwide for the last 4 years!

I can totally understand how you want to go home and Im in the same position myself. I hope you and your husband can come to some kind of amicable agreement, he may surprise you and return with you if its what you really want!

Im not just saying this because Im a miserable git getting ready to go home but you can almost feel the economy catching up with the disasters back home.

Back in February we were looking at buying a house. It would probably have been a good thing in the short term for our mental states (to get away from real estate agents) but the banks want around $20k in insurance to add to the mortage if you only have a 5% deposit (so basically well and truly wiping out the 5%). And stamp duty is about another 5%.

All it will take is the market to dip by 5-10% and all these people will be in negative equity. People will run from that surely, especially the overseas residents here, if people want to move country they wont wait 5 years for the market to recover, they will just leg it......

The housing market is already being described as good for buyers and houses are taking quite a while to sell.

Its coming. The downturn is coming!

Im not just saying this because Im a miserable git getting ready to go home but you can almost feel the economy catching up with the disasters back home.

Back in February we were looking at buying a house. It would probably have been a good thing in the short term for our mental states (to get away from real estate agents) but the banks want around $20k in insurance to add to the mortage if you only have a 5% deposit (so basically well and truly wiping out the 5%). And stamp duty is about another 5%.

All it will take is the market to dip by 5-10% and all these people will be in negative equity. People will run from that surely, especially the overseas residents here, if people want to move country they wont wait 5 years for the market to recover, they will just leg it......

The housing market is already being described as good for buyers and houses are taking quite a while to sell.

Its coming. The downturn is coming!

Blobby I totally hear you. This is one of my reasons for not wanting to stay.

Im not knocking anyone that wants to live here. But gone are the days when you could sell your house in the UK that had increased in value, take your 100,000 pounds turn into into $290,000 a live mortgage free in paradise working a couple of days a week.

Nowerdays the equity in the UK has gone. And you need around $500,000 for that dream home. Thats a mortgage of around $30,000 a year interest only.

This is only one factor for us. Im sure there are cheaper areas to live in but its still not cheap anymore.

well here's some -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/dec/07/world-education-rankings-maths-science-reading

Aus way ahead of the UK. the problem is lots of Poms leave their nice neighborhoods and move to Perth and because the rents are so high, they settle in the new estates in the poorer suburbs. You check out all the primary schools around SecretHarbour/Rockingham/Butler etc and most are performing below the National average - some significantly so. The my school website http://www.myschool.edu.au/ will give you the socio economic stats of each area and it's a sad fact of life that poorer suburbs have poorer schools. So then the new person gets the warped impression that the whole education system is down the pan and they were better off in the UK. They may well have been but don't presume that it is the whole education that is bad. The stats show that Oz is doing well in terms of educational outcomes - but you're not going to get that impression if your kids go to some of the poorer schools in WA.

Sorry but I was only talking to my husband two day ago about this. The education all over Oz is a total let down. I thought I had stepped into a 3rd world counrty, The work my kids where given when we arrived was a joke, they had all done it 2 years before in the UK. My kids found it very hard to settle in school because the work was so old.

I have a Aussie friend whos kids all went to private school and she told me that the private schools are just like our public schools in the UK that are free.

This lady has said shes a teacher so knows what shes talking about..

I feel for you Im not settled in OZ I live in Sydney been here 4 years, if it was'nt for my kids I would go home, I had a good life there aswell... I really hope that you and ur husband can sort this out, but I would also do what my heart is telling me. Once your kids are settled it makes life impossible to move