Is the grass greener?

Westward Ho

Hi all.

So,in a nutshell,with no property anymore,a declining maufacturing environment,Would i sell up,go back to the U.K?Thats what im looking at,it could be no worse over there than here?I think globally were all in for bad times.

Whats on offer,you may ask?

Family,job offers are promissing- even this early.Oh,plus a wonderful partner..I believe you need to change things before you turn say,50.

*I can just return on a British Passport,i dont need a RRV for this do i.?

Thoughts anyone?Some may say im mad......like i said i want to change my life before i turn 50.

Thanks

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a British citizen, yes you can go back to your home country without any problems.

A Residents Return Visa is an Australian concept, which would be applicable if you are on a PR visa in Australia and think you might want to come back into Australia once your 5yrs multiple entry on the PR visa has expired.

Guest roaminnomore

The question, what would you be returning to? I ask myself that one everyday single second of every single day... I'm just numb here and just when you think it can't get any worse.

Things are going to get very bad here in the UK and Europe for a very long time. The PM has admitted at least another 10 years of very hard times (AKA Austerity). Remember, the Austerity cuts have barley begun here. My advice would be to look at whether your family in the UK is your priority rather than jobs etc as you like everyone will need them and they will no doubt need you.

I am heading to Australia to ride out the storm coming, at least with all its issues, Australia hasn't got anywhere near the debt problems of the UK. I am doing it for my son, I don't want him owing £40,000 pounds or £20,000 of government debt at the age of 2...sorry, whish I could be more positive for you. Best of luck

Hi all.

So,in a nutshell,with no property anymore,a declining maufacturing environment,Would i sell up,go back to the U.K?Thats what im looking at,it could be no worse over there than here?I think globally were all in for bad times.

Whats on offer,you may ask?

Family,job offers are promissing- even this early.Oh,plus a wonderful partner..I believe you need to change things before you turn say,50.

Thoughts anyone?Some may say im mad......like i said i want to change my life before i turn 50.

Thanks

Not many jobs in the uk but being in a country that overall is a better quality of life is a bonus for me and many others, oz is starting to see a downturn but uk can now only go upwards, oz is starting to slip down that road especially with the bad news coming out of Asia...I think coming home is a good bet to be honest

Not many jobs in the uk but being in a country that overall is a better quality of life is a bonus for me and many others, oz is starting to see a downturn but uk can now only go upwards, oz is starting to slip down that road especially with the bad news coming out of Asia...I think coming home is a good bet to be honest

UK not even in the Top 10 for Quality of Life......can you guess Number 1?

http://www.businessinsider.com/oecd-better-life-index-2011-5?op=1

We are in UK, North Wales and it's going no where, we both currently have jobs but that will not be for long, my partner has worked for MoD for 22 years - a job for life so he thought - well that has turned into a bit of a laugh. I am a teacher in what is refered to a low socio economic area, trying to inspire kids that have no aspiration and lets face it little chance of a future. A lot of the the children I teach do not know anyone who works and have no intention of as 'whats the point miss', a single mum who has moved in a few door away from my mum boasts how housing benefit are paying her 460 GBP rent per month, she does not pay council tax as she is on benefit, her kids have new clothes all the times, their teeth are disgusting as all you every see them eating are sweets, their speech is lazy, they have no issues in approaching stangers as they are allowed at the age of 6 and 4 to roam the streets. She swans out around 11 each morning looking immaculate, while this is not a life I would want, to maintain that life I would think I would need to earn 14k per year. I am 42 with lots of experience I have a degree, a teaching qualification lots of admin experience (pre teaching) I have applied for numerous jobs as I am tired of being abused on a daily basis, working 60 hour weeks and during 'the amazing amount of school holidays' , I been unsuccessful or I am not interested in the jobs available. I have looked what's available and it's not good, there are jobs for 14k but after 4 years of studying I would expect to earn more. In my opinion this country is messed up, more and more people are being caught in the benefits trap, kids are being brought up with no moral compass. Bankers are receiving massive salaries yet the rest of us have experienced pay freezes and are made to feel lucky to have a job, 3 years ago when when our pay freeze started it cost me 100 GBP to get to work , it now costs 220 GBP (I have to travel 1 hour each way to work as no jobs locally) our weekly shop has increased our 'gold plated' pension contribution have increased so in real terms I am at least 200 GBP per month worse off than I was 3 years ago, it's a joke when you consider we are fortunate to have jobs, cars and a home. Therefore we are willing to see if the grass is greener in oz because in our opinion it's a weird shade here !!! I know some people think its ok in the UK but there are plenty of people who are disillusioned. I would tjink long and hard about what you are coming back to, if you have a decent job and lots of money to buy a house then happy days.

Rant over .......

Hi Westward Ho and welcome to PIO.

When people think about returning to the UK, the advice is usually to take a holiday here first, get a feel for the place and a new appreciation for the changeable weather, the transport system, the houses, the social life. Day to day living is probably not as you remember it as things, and people, change and move on. Just as you are not the person you were when you first left for Australia, the UK has not stayed still either.

It is still possible though to live a good and happy life here, and millions of people do. For such a small island it is amazingly diverse with a rich and varied culture and landscape, but lifestyles are very different depending upon which city, town or county you decide to put down roots.

The other obvious factor is the economic problems facing the UK. They are deep and everyone is likely to feel the repercussions for years to come. I'm not sure if that is reason enough to tell people to leave or not return to the UK. A lot of people think it is, but if you are reasonably secure (have an income, a home, family, friends) that's a pretty good start to a new future. I guess it ultimately depends on what you are looking for and how much you are prepared to gamble. Just my thoughts. Tx

Interesting thoughts people......

I would be returning to the West Country,similar to here,but rains all the time,lol.

I honestly believe in doing this,as if you want a job-you go and get one,simple as that.Have noticed here that the vacancies for my type of work are skeletal now,as opposed to page after page only 12 mnths ago,thats how much manufacturing has slumped here in Vic.Its the mining boom,thats masking the unemployment here in Aussie,which is growing at an alarming rate.Jump ship before its too late i reckon!

I think the UK has a lot further to fall before it can go upwards, but it all depends where you live, how you live, your skill set and what your expectations of life are. I think the squeezed middle will become a lot more squeezed - will it ever become as bad a the UK of the late 70's - lets hope not !

There are jobs here but it depends on how little you are prepared to work for, the thing that I find strange is why have the Oz govt lowered the points required for immigration to encourage more people to apply to fill the skills shortage if unemployment is rising ?

Guest Guest63690

Westward Ho, I get the feeling you have already made up your mind. I think your right about the mining boom being a mask for the true situation. As growth has just been downgraded in china, even that may not last forever. At the end of the day, you can always go back to oz if you change your mind. I wish you the best of luck. I think the UK is a wonderful amazing country, and I am sure you will be very happy here!

problem with many people in the UK presently saying how awful it is, is that in reality there are a few more people out of work but it tends to hit areas which arent the best developed anyway such as Wales and the North.

The South East is going pretty good as it always was. I dont know anyone struggling more than they were. People who are struggling are mostly enduring their struggles as they dont want to go where the work is and cant find something on their doorstep or arent prepaired to stay away during the week.

What lots of people dont realise is that Oz is also struggling outside of heavy industry, the ozzies just dont advertise it though - everything is overly positive there as it is overly pesemistic in the UK.

Many of these mining jobs are FIFO so a move to Perth would actually mean the man only being there a third of the time at best.

If thats the case why would a couple want to move somewhere and sit alone the whole time? No wonder loads come back to the UK.

All these pictures of rolling hills in the UK are complete tosh - there's no work in these parts of the country so the grass isnt greener and is what you make of it on either side of the globe!

oh and this mining boom isnt just mining - half of it is Oil & Gas

Martync,travel for jobs in Oz is no drama,you get used to it.I drive about 700 kms a week to work & back.

FIFO,yeah outback WA or Qld ,great $$$$,no life!Anyone who's ever spent days underground on a "Widowmaker' Air leg will know what im saying.

What im saying in my opening post is ,ive given it 30 years here,hasnt worked out,have a fantastic chance to settle down in the W/country ...so im going for it mate!

*Rant.....$287 for a Biometric Passport!!!! $300 for a RRV...........Ill make that a one way thanks!!!

There are jobs here but it depends on how little you are prepared to work for, the thing that I find strange is why have the Oz govt lowered the points required for immigration to encourage more people to apply to fill the skills shortage if unemployment is rising ?

Business pushing hard for lower labour costs for one thing. With the Corporate influence over government they tend to get what they want. Usually not the best outcome for the people as a whole.

Good luck with your move back. I hope it all works out for you in the West Country. You should be able to get a property at rock bottom price because the market has completely bottomed out down there! If as your user name suggests you are heading for North Devon please make sure the 'job' you are going to is something with a future. My inlaws buisness has gone to the dogs and they have just had their house repo'd. No money in the area at all! Lots of petty crime in the area too. Nicer in the summer not great during the winter months. I seriously hope it all goes well for you, good luck.

I've been living in Somerset the past eight years and the job market and general economy here is the worst I've ever seen it. Where I work wages in real terms have been cut every year for at least the past four years. Amongst my work colleagues there is real dissatisfaction and a desire to change employment but there are no jobs, and those advertised attract often 10+ times as many applicants as positions available, even for minimum wage employment.

I'm not returning to Australia solely because of the state of the labour market here in the UK, but it is a huge factor.

Having said that if you have a job lined up before you arrive that suits your requirements then you will probably find it is a good time to buy a property, especially given the strength of the Aussie dollar if you are bringing funds back with you.

Archived