Is the grass greener?

Westward Ho

Guest The Ropey HOFF

There's no comparison between both countries at present, the UK has been in recession or a flat lined no growth economy for over 3 years, Australia has been booming, plus unemployment is not far off half in Australia to the UK, wages are going up, up, up in Australia, they are either stagnating or going down in the UK. The UK is a great country if you have good jobs, it has huggings to offer, but it's lagging way behind Australia financially at present.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are jobs here but it depends on how little you are prepared to work for, the thing that I find strange is why have the Oz govt lowered the points required for immigration to encourage more people to apply to fill the skills shortage if unemployment is rising ?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/business/manufacturing-activity-plummets-in-july/story-fn7j19iv-1226440142349

Thanks

There are jobs here but it depends on how little you are prepared to work for, the thing that I find strange is why have the Oz govt lowered the points required for immigration to encourage more people to apply to fill the skills shortage if unemployment is rising ?

You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned skill shortage mate. It's not the lack of people it's the lack of skills in certain areas. The companies and government keep talking about re-training but it takes time to train people up and the people with the skills are needed now to get the projects going.

If you have the skills you're wanted yesterday, at really good rates of pay too usually. My son is an electrician and has been applying for jobs in the mining or oil and gas sector and looks like he has landed a FIFO job. He's been trying a while though and got the job through someone he met on a course. He's still got a couple of irons in the fire with more jobs and got through to interview stage on a couple, so he may have a choice to make in the end. To get this though he paid to go on HV switching, project management, and instrumentation courses. Cost him a fair bit but he can claim some back on his tax rebate. You have to be prepared to go the extra yard if you're serious.

Guest BethanyCampbell

Hey I've not long moved here from the u.k. and yeah i will admit that, i wish i could go back for the little thing i miss. but i moved here as there was no work going... its very tough to find a well paid job over there.. and even when you do, its pretty difficult to try get the place. I mean, the interviews are pretty tough, and they are always looking for better staff. and making people redundant. But thats just my opinion. Good Luck with What ever you decide to do. :)

Guest fallguy

Hi there all,

New to PIO as I used to be on Poms in Perth which seems to have died a death!!

My wife & I have been in Perth for just over 6 yrs & have been feeling the grass is greener over the last year or so. When we first arrived we were over the moon with the place in everyway possible. We both got decent jobs, bought a large block, renovated the house, subdivided the land & built a dream home. Good incomes, no mortgage & living in paradise.....what more could you wish for!!

I will tell you what....

1) Your parents (especially when your folks are getting on a bit & may need a bit of help with things) plus losing them without seeing them for maybe months/years.

2) The friends that have taken a lifetime to make & everything that goes with it...births, weddings,parties etc.

3) Just being able to walk down the street & feel as though you 100 percent belong there (i presume this is a spiritual thing, but i am not exactly a mystic meg type person!!)

4) All the little things you dont realise you will miss at all like a good curry, Autumn, long daylight hours, being able to get a taxi, the misty morning after bommie night, carling black label, chippy tea , long weekends away in different countries, predictable drivers, country walks without the need to lookout for snakes,hills, curves in the road....the list is endless.

5) Having Seasons.... Perth is fantastic for sunshine, pretty much every day of the year, all you could possibly want....but, believe it or not, you can have too much!! you get to the point where you wish it was overcast (especially Dec-March when it can be too warm to do anything but hug the air con or swim!) You know you are in summer when you get up for work at 6am & its over 20 deg C & the sun is about to rise any minute!!The other thing you dont expect is once the summer goes into winter, it can be colder than the UK when the sun goes down as the homes are not really designed for cold/heat loss.

I am sure to get a little stick for my comments but I am just offering my opinion. I dont want people to think I hate or dislike OZ in any way as it is a fab, clean, beautiful, laid back & culturally tolerant paradise that I hope to return to one day. It is just this pull to make sure my folks are ok in their twilight years & the friends I have shared so much with. I know we should maybe try another State (my brother lives in Coolangatta) but at this time I am not feeling it.

Good luck to everyone either moving to or from Australia, & thanks to all the posters for their views on many subjects on PIO.

Good post, I lived in Florida for 8 years and missed many of the things you have mentioned, I so understand where you are coming from, when I left for Florida in 1994 the UK was starting to be on the up, but the UK I left I did not like very much, negative attitudes, a can't do attitude, ok job prospects but not great, a little bit grimey but trying to improve. The UK I returned to in 2002 ( seperated from my American husband ) was peppy, positive, clean, shiney lots of regeneration in cities - I loved it and decided to stay to spend time with my family and friends, re train to become a teacher , loved bonfire night, buses everywhere and not to mention gorgeous curry- it was great I came home in Oct lived with my parents got my own flat in Feb, I thought the UK was great , then I saw less and less of friends as they became more and more involved with their own families, once a week went to once a month, I too became too busy studying and working to put myself through uni. You can't eat too much curry as you become fat, the economy began to change in the 4 years it took me to train to become a teacher the job market changed significantly with 40 -50 people applying for each job, cuts in school budgets meant cut backs in staff and resources making it difficult to do your job, where I live the buses were full of a certain type of person who did not know the meaning of the word respect. The price of fuel soared as did the price of food it now costs us 300 GBP per more to live now than 3 years ago yet both of us are on a pay freeze, people are negative, those who work are resentful of those who have always claimed benefits, due to cut backs the services the NHS offer are shocking yet we still pay the same % national insurance. So being totally disillusioned we have decided to see if the grass is greener or a slightly better shade in OZ than it is here. This country is great if you earn in excess of 70k, live in a good area, own your home and are in perfect health. Of course this is just my tainted opinion but in the last 12 months 3 teachers from my school have gone to OZ, this year, 10 kids from my school and their families have moved to OZ. The concerning thing, if skilled Brits are going to OZ what is going to be left here? I was shocked when we went for our medicals, we met a young couple (mid 20's) he was a chemist she was a geneologist they were moving to OZ because they could not find work here, I think its a disgrace the way this country is going. I really hope it turns around soon as this could be a great country x

Hi there all,

New to PIO as I used to be on Poms in Perth which seems to have died a death!!

My wife & I have been in Perth for just over 6 yrs & have been feeling the grass is greener over the last year or so. When we first arrived we were over the moon with the place in everyway possible. We both got decent jobs, bought a large block, renovated the house, subdivided the land & built a dream home. Good incomes, no mortgage & living in paradise.....what more could you wish for!!

I will tell you what....

1) Your parents (especially when your folks are getting on a bit & may need a bit of help with things) plus losing them without seeing them for maybe months/years.

2) The friends that have taken a lifetime to make & everything that goes with it...births, weddings,parties etc.

3) Just being able to walk down the street & feel as though you 100 percent belong there (i presume this is a spiritual thing, but i am not exactly a mystic meg type person!!)

4) All the little things you dont realise you will miss at all like a good curry, Autumn, long daylight hours, being able to get a taxi, the misty morning after bommie night, carling black label, chippy tea , long weekends away in different countries, predictable drivers, country walks without the need to lookout for snakes,hills, curves in the road....the list is endless.

5) Having Seasons.... Perth is fantastic for sunshine, pretty much every day of the year, all you could possibly want....but, believe it or not, you can have too much!! you get to the point where you wish it was overcast (especially Dec-March when it can be too warm to do anything but hug the air con or swim!) You know you are in summer when you get up for work at 6am & its over 20 deg C & the sun is about to rise any minute!!The other thing you dont expect is once the summer goes into winter, it can be colder than the UK when the sun goes down as the homes are not really designed for cold/heat loss.

I am sure to get a little stick for my comments but I am just offering my opinion. I dont want people to think I hate or dislike OZ in any way as it is a fab, clean, beautiful, laid back & culturally tolerant paradise that I hope to return to one day. It is just this pull to make sure my folks are ok in their twilight years & the friends I have shared so much with. I know we should maybe try another State (my brother lives in Coolangatta) but at this time I am not feeling it.

Good luck to everyone either moving to or from Australia, & thanks to all the posters for their views on many subjects on PIO.

Good post, I lived in Florida for 8 years and missed many of the things you have mentioned, I so understand where you are coming from, when I left for Florida in 1994 the UK was starting to be on the up, but the UK I left I did not like very much, negative attitudes, a can't do attitude, ok job prospects but not great, a little bit grimey but trying to improve. The UK I returned to in 2002 ( seperated from my American husband ) was peppy, positive, clean, shiney lots of regeneration in cities - I loved it and decided to stay to spend time with my family and friends, re train to become a teacher , loved bonfire night, buses everywhere and not to mention gorgeous curry- it was great I came home in Oct lived with my parents got my own flat in Feb, I thought the UK was great , then I saw less and less of friends as they became more and more involved with their own families, once a week went to once a month, I too became too busy studying and working to put myself through uni. You can't eat too much curry as you become fat, the economy began to change in the 4 years it took me to train to become a teacher the job market changed significantly with 40 -50 people applying for each job, cuts in school budgets meant cut backs in staff and resources making it difficult to do your job, where I live the buses were full of a certain type of person who did not know the meaning of the word respect. The price of fuel soared as did the price of food it now costs us 300 GBP per more to live now than 3 years ago yet both of us are on a pay freeze, people are negative, those who work are resentful of those who have always claimed benefits, due to cut backs the services the NHS offer are shocking yet we still pay the same % national insurance. So being totally disillusioned we have decided to see if the grass is greener or a slightly better shade in OZ than it is here. This country is great if you earn in excess of 70k, live in a good area, own your home and are in perfect health. Of course this is just my tainted opinion but in the last 12 months 3 teachers from my school have gone to OZ, this year, 10 kids from my school and their families have moved to OZ. The concerning thing, if skilled Brits are going to OZ what is going to be left here? I was shocked when we went for our medicals, we met a young couple (mid 20's) he was a chemist she was a geneologist they were moving to OZ because they could not find work here, I think its a disgrace the way this country is going. I really hope it turns around soon as this could be a great country x

Hiya JohnAli,

I think it might have been myself and Dan you met at the medicals!! was it at Bridgewater on the 20th July?! If it was we got our grant a week later on the 27th! good to see you got yours as well!! great feeling isnt it...although now i am more preoccupied than ever looking at things i need to get sorted! did you tell your parents yet?? keep reading bad things about Perth though and then feeling apprehensive and then i'll read something great about Perth! Your post pretty much sums it up though...there is nothing for the majority of people in the UK at the moment so definitely worth giving it a go in oz!

Hi Rachel

Good to hear from you, I have read some mixed reports about Perth but someone put me straight saying that if you are skilled then you will be ok. I told my parents this week, it did not go down well my Dad is not speaking to me and my mum can't stop crying ! When are you planning on going to Perth ? I hope I got your job right !!!! I think there are going to be lots of mixed emotions about going but it will all work out right in the end . Keep in touch Ali x

Hiya JohnAli,

I think it might have been myself and Dan you met at the medicals!! was it at Bridgewater on the 20th July?! If it was we got our grant a week later on the 27th! good to see you got yours as well!! great feeling isnt it...although now i am more preoccupied than ever looking at things i need to get sorted! did you tell your parents yet?? keep reading bad things about Perth though and then feeling apprehensive and then i'll read something great about Perth! Your post pretty much sums it up though...there is nothing for the majority of people in the UK at the moment so definitely worth giving it a go in oz!

Aw no..hopefully they will come round...it's probably all a shock...just remind them off the nice holidays they can have! We're so thankful that although our parents will obviously miss us and don't want us to be so far away they are happy for us and really supportive now it's all granted so it makes it a lot easier. I'm hoping to get a job as a geneticist out there so you were close enough I think a genealogist concentrates on family tree, where as I did medical genetics! Good memory though! We have booked our flights for June 16th. Got quite a good deal I think. When are you going out? You going to try and find jobs before you go? X x

Haaaaaaaaaaa that's so typical of me I meant a geneticist !!! Wow no long until you leave, where will you live to start with? We are hoping that John will be granted his redundancy which means we will both finish work at Easter 2013, as a teacher I can only leave work xmas , easter and summer. We are going to look for jobs and send off CVs before we go. I have applied for a job I am not qualified for in Health Promotion (my degree but no working experience) to my shock they are really interested so will have to see what happens !! Good luck, look forward to reading your post x

Aw no..hopefully they will come round...it's probably all a shock...just remind them off the nice holidays they can have! We're so thankful that although our parents will obviously miss us and don't want us to be so far away they are happy for us and really supportive now it's all granted so it makes it a lot easier. I'm hoping to get a job as a geneticist out there so you were close enough I think a genealogist concentrates on family tree, where as I did medical genetics! Good memory though! We have booked our flights for June 16th. Got quite a good deal I think. When are you going out? You going to try and find jobs before you go? X x

We are in UK, North Wales and it's going no where, we both currently have jobs but that will not be for long, my partner has worked for MoD for 22 years - a job for life so he thought - well that has turned into a bit of a laugh. I am a teacher in what is refered to a low socio economic area, trying to inspire kids that have no aspiration and lets face it little chance of a future. A lot of the the children I teach do not know anyone who works and have no intention of as 'whats the point miss', a single mum who has moved in a few door away from my mum boasts how housing benefit are paying her 460 GBP rent per month, she does not pay council tax as she is on benefit, her kids have new clothes all the times, their teeth are disgusting as all you every see them eating are sweets, their speech is lazy, they have no issues in approaching stangers as they are allowed at the age of 6 and 4 to roam the streets. She swans out around 11 each morning looking immaculate, while this is not a life I would want, to maintain that life I would think I would need to earn 14k per year. I am 42 with lots of experience I have a degree, a teaching qualification lots of admin experience (pre teaching) I have applied for numerous jobs as I am tired of being abused on a daily basis, working 60 hour weeks and during 'the amazing amount of school holidays' , I been unsuccessful or I am not interested in the jobs available. I have looked what's available and it's not good, there are jobs for 14k but after 4 years of studying I would expect to earn more. In my opinion this country is messed up, more and more people are being caught in the benefits trap, kids are being brought up with no moral compass. Bankers are receiving massive salaries yet the rest of us have experienced pay freezes and are made to feel lucky to have a job, 3 years ago when when our pay freeze started it cost me 100 GBP to get to work , it now costs 220 GBP (I have to travel 1 hour each way to work as no jobs locally) our weekly shop has increased our 'gold plated' pension contribution have increased so in real terms I am at least 200 GBP per month worse off than I was 3 years ago, it's a joke when you consider we are fortunate to have jobs, cars and a home. Therefore we are willing to see if the grass is greener in oz because in our opinion it's a weird shade here !!! I know some people think its ok in the UK but there are plenty of people who are disillusioned. I would tjink long and hard about what you are coming back to, if you have a decent job and lots of money to buy a house then happy days.

Rant over .......

And this does'nt apply in Australia?My kids grew up going to school with kids with revolting teeth,bad manners,and yes a single mother living on benefits!

We have managed to get a short term furnished rental for 3 months in Fremantle while we settle in and decide where we want to live longer term and find a rental. Need to save like mad now for the next 10 months...oo good luck..I think I'm going to start emailing my cv to anyone and everyone I can find remotely relevant! Where abouts are you thinking of starting of? X

We have managed to get a short term furnished rental for 3 months in Fremantle while we settle in and decide where we want to live longer term and find a rental. Need to save like mad now for the next 10 months...oo good luck..I think I'm going to start emailing my cv to anyone and everyone I can find remotely relevant! Where abouts are you thinking of starting of? X

We really like the look of Fremantle but we are thinking lets see if we can get a job first and see where it is. My bestfriend is moving out there in Oct 2012 so hopefully they will be able to put us up for a few weeks while we find our feet, we are going to do the same re CV , I have read some posts that say it takes 3 to 5 months to find a job, that scares the hell out of us. Be funny to meet up for a beer in Fremantle !! Ali x

And this does'nt apply in Australia?My kids grew up going to school with kids with revolting teeth,bad manners,and yes a single mother living on benefits!

I am not that naive not to realise it happens all over the world, I know there are social issues in Oz, I am just tired of living with them here ! There will always be a natural rate of unemployment and poverty in any society. Maybe they have the same issues in Oz with generations of the same family never working - but at least the sun will be shining and there will be a lot more people with hope and ambition due to a stronger job market - I maybe wrong but I am willing to give it a try. This country is so depressing and materialistic !

You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned skill shortage mate. It's not the lack of people it's the lack of skills in certain areas. The companies and government keep talking about re-training but it takes time to train people up and the people with the skills are needed now to get the projects going.

If you have the skills you're wanted yesterday, at really good rates of pay too usually. My son is an electrician and has been applying for jobs in the mining or oil and gas sector and looks like he has landed a FIFO job. He's been trying a while though and got the job through someone he met on a course. He's still got a couple of irons in the fire with more jobs and got through to interview stage on a couple, so he may have a choice to make in the end. To get this though he paid to go on HV switching, project management, and instrumentation courses. Cost him a fair bit but he can claim some back on his tax rebate. You have to be prepared to go the extra yard if you're serious.

Good on him for getting himself organised and going on those courses

I see/hear lots of complaints from tradies about their perception that they aren't given a fair go at resources sector jobs but the skills aren't necessarily the same. I've worked on a few oil and gas plants and the type of skills a domestic or even commercial building electrician has aren't going to be very relevant in the main. People with HV skills and tickets are always going to be in demand, pick up something specialist like work on synchronous motors or control systems and you're laughing.

Haaaaaaaaaaa that's so typical of me I meant a geneticist !!! Wow no long until you leave, where will you live to start with? We are hoping that John will be granted his redundancy which means we will both finish work at Easter 2013, as a teacher I can only leave work xmas , easter and summer. We are going to look for jobs and send off CVs before we go. I have applied for a job I am not qualified for in Health Promotion (my degree but no working experience) to my shock they are really interested so will have to see what happens !! Good luck, look forward to reading your post x

I think there's always a shortage of teachers in the country - you may be offered something there initially.

Hiya JohnAli,

Wow, small world eh! Don't worry about the negative posts about Perth. They are usually from the same people and the post in this thread from fallguy is far from being negative. I can see where he's coming from, my parents are in their 90's and won't last forever. My Sister is doing a great job and has managed to get them to move nearer to her. I guess it's a bloke thing but I don't really feel guilty and I had moved away from home and didn't see them that much anyway.

When they die you have to cope with it no matter where you are and I don't think it helps if you are closer. We spent a lot of years in the same house, not really getting on that well with my Dad. Not unusual for a teenager.

I think our relationship is probably better now, for being apart than if we had been seeing more of them.

Perth is a wonderful place and if you want to read a lot of positive stuff trawl back through my posts. It's worked out really well for us, couldn't have wished for a better place to bring the kids up tbh.

Good luck to all of you.

Good on him for getting himself organised and going on those courses

I see/hear lots of complaints from tradies about their perception that they aren't given a fair go at resources sector jobs but the skills aren't necessarily the same. I've worked on a few oil and gas plants and the type of skills a domestic or even commercial building electrician has aren't going to be very relevant in the main. People with HV skills and tickets are always going to be in demand, pick up something specialist like work on synchronous motors or control systems and you're laughing.

Thanks for that. He goes for a chat with the CEO today. From what he said last night the guy only wanted to see him to see if he was going to like the job. He's not even asked to see his tickets or trade certificates.

Funny you mention the control systems, his next plan is to do his instrumentation course on the weeks he is off. I think the swing on the FIFO is 8 and 6. He's found that you can do the course at Curtin (I think) on the net. The ideal position would be if he lands the job and the new company pay for some training.

Guest fallguy
Wow, small world eh! Don't worry about the negative posts about Perth. They are usually from the same people and the post in this thread from fallguy is far from being negative. I can see where he's coming from, my parents are in their 90's and won't last forever. My Sister is doing a great job and has managed to get them to move nearer to her. I guess it's a bloke thing but I don't really feel guilty and I had moved away from home and didn't see them that much anyway.

When they die you have to cope with it no matter where you are and I don't think it helps if you are closer. We spent a lot of years in the same house, not really getting on that well with my Dad. Not unusual for a teenager.

I think our relationship is probably better now, for being apart than if we had been seeing more of them.

Perth is a wonderful place and if you want to read a lot of positive stuff trawl back through my posts. It's worked out really well for us, couldn't have wished for a better place to bring the kids up tbh.

Good luck to all of you.

Appreciate your opinion Paul1Perth, I wish I did'nt feel the guilt (it must be my feminine side!) but I feel as though I should be there to look after them like they looked after me. I have a younger brother in the UK but he struggles to look after himself never mind my folks, so this does'nt reassure me much. My folks have/are always saying go for it, it's your life to lead & its a better way of life etc, so its not as though they are guilting me out, its just that we were close.

Great opinion from JohnAli, made me consider more what we have here & that in fact we might just be over idealising the UK somewhat. I remember the last recession at the start of the nineties... three day week, lower pay rates, being in the building trade we were the first in & last out of the hardship!!

Just want to clarify that Perth is a beautiful place but has developed so rapidly in the short 6 years we have been here that the original attraction for us has been lost. When we arrived there was... no traffic jams, free parking & always a space outside your destination, hardly any speed cameras, restricted shopping (which is becoming de regulated in August) and a general laid back small town mentality. Now it has become a fast paced full on money making machine which unfortunately has not invested/planned suitable infrastructure for the population/mining boom, and is therefore playing a losing battle of catch up!! This is not to be negative as everything grows bigger, but the speed af change has been rapid & the powers that be are too busy glamming the city up with foreshores & arenas etc instead of rail links, fly overs, road widening & to get someone with half a brain to sort the flaming traffic lights out (people in perth will agree with this last statement 100 percent!!).

Good luck to all arriving or leaving Australia and thanks for your opinions.

• 2 months later...

So,back in the West Country since Monday !!:biggrin:

Not that many changes ,what ive seen anyhow.Do find the cars are so small here.......Food is cheap by Aussie standards plus more choices,Pints are $3.50[pound] !!!!!Anywonder its so cheap in Asda or Tesco.

Have a job interview on Monday & been invited to local Firebrigade as well,theyve never had an Aussie Firefighter looking to join before ,so all good!!!

No complaints from me ,have hit the ground running ...:cool:

Things are going to get very bad here in the UK and Europe for a very long time. The PM has admitted at least another 10 years of very hard times (AKA Austerity). Remember, the Austerity cuts have barley begun here. My advice would be to look at whether your family in the UK is your priority rather than jobs etc as you like everyone will need them and they will no doubt need you.

I am heading to Australia to ride out the storm coming, at least with all its issues, Australia hasn't got anywhere near the debt problems of the UK. I am doing it for my son, I don't want him owing £40,000 pounds or £20,000 of government debt at the age of 2...sorry, whish I could be more positive for you. Best of luck

Good luck then. However, I think you should take a closer look at what Australia's debt is before you go, as it's not that simple. Some say there's a big storm coming to Oz.

Lots of Australians have bad teeth, the cost of treatment is truley shocking. I was private in the uk too . You can't get a NHS style dentist here, all private including the kids

You can't get a NHS style dentist here, all private including the kids

That is not true. Most states have free dental care for children but, because they are state schemes, the conditions can vary from place to place.

Archived