Is the grass greener?

Westward Ho

May I ask that someone with a life so busy with new and exciting things to see and visit What to doing trailing around on a expat website......? Members like yourself always makes me wonder just how fantastic your life really is ...!

For my nine bibs worth ,I'm on here cos its dark , and nowt on the tv , few weeks will be camping most weekends , but campings not for everyone , if peeps are happy on one place good luck with what ever you do , why crack the shits

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The same could be said of someone who is enjoying their lives 'back home' I can't quite see the attraction of coming on here making ridiculously sweeping statements about Australia when you (the collective you, not you personally) are not even living there anymore.

I think it's a case of trading in a Prado for a new Great Wall v240 , it looked good

Guest chris955
I think it's a case of trading in a Prado for a new Great Wall v240 , it looked good

No thanks, make mine a Discovery :wink:

Guest chris955

Yes a Defender ute would be excellent, there is a bloke in the village with twin cab, practically unbreakable and if they do break you can fix them with fence wire LOL

Guest chris955
Not in uk mate wots the film called oh yes. Gone in 60 seconds

Well that is the problem with highly desirable vehicles, better odds of keeping hold of it than where you are though ;)

Guest guest76088

I always wanted a Defender but then reality bit. I've had a couple of Freelander 2s that have been great after a bad history with a Freelander V6.

I'd like a military Lightweight. Seen any around ? (That's the Landrover not soldiers that can't drink). If I was coming from UK I would bring one with me, but I'm not so I can't.

BigD

Guest chris955

Cant say I have seen one, that I know of anyway. So many Land Rovers of all types over here, there must be 50 in our village alone LOL.

Have been reading this thread this morning and I would ask members to remember that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, not intended for everyone,

,who are using it will know who you are.

I would also ask people contributing to the thread to respect the opinions of others, good debate is what its about.

My brother works for Landrover and he wouldn't have anything other than a Defender given! We nearly bought a Disco 3 when my Grandad died and left me money, my brother who has worked for Landrover for 20 years advised against it.

Advised against the best selling 4x4 in the world and the critics choice of best land cruiser, you sure he works for land rover Lol..

the super hot days that just go on and on,the sun which can turn you into a flayed steak in 30 minutes and don't get me started on the punch and judy show that passes for politics, oh and did I mention those dire amoral animals that pass as people in charge and pretend they run what pretends to be an advanced country, could you cope with a country where a bunch of redknecks get themselves elected and immediately make 14000 people redundant without any rationale and slash every cultural thing in town and every societal support system in the state, welcome to, soon to be a third world banana republic, Queensland.A country where lots of state schools still don't have air conditioning even tho portacabins are the classroom of choice, and where most state govts can only survive on the back of the money they raise from licensing gaming machines of which Australia owns more than any other country and which has a major problem with gambling addiction, not a pretty picture is it. Oh and don't forget the stingers in the ocean which can kill you if you go in the water up here at the wrong time of year.

It's not compulsory to migrate to Queensland. The OP may prefer to join us "Mexicans" down south.

Advised against the best selling 4x4 in the world and the critics choice of best land cruiser, you sure he works for land rover Lol..

He is a mechanic and has been a Landrover mechanic for 20 years and said having worked on 100's and 100's of them he wouldn't own one and advised me against owning one.

The critics base their opinions on a car when new. Most don't take account of (or even know of) reliability or maintenance issues. I'd take notice of mechanics every time.

Guest themanns
Things are going to get very bad here in the UK and Europe for a very long time. The PM has admitted at least another 10 years of very hard times (AKA Austerity). Remember, the Austerity cuts have barley begun here. My advice would be to look at whether your family in the UK is your priority rather than jobs etc as you like everyone will need them and they will no doubt need you.

I am heading to Australia to ride out the storm coming, at least with all its issues, Australia hasn't got anywhere near the debt problems of the UK. I am doing it for my son, I don't want him owing £40,000 pounds or £20,000 of government debt at the age of 2...sorry, whish I could be more positive for you. Best of luck

Dont waste your money coming here..it's soo boring for the kids! and soooooo expensive he'll never afford to own his own car or go out much..not that thereis much to do for them anyway..drugs,gambling, petty crime and youth all higher here..We came thinking it would be better for our little ones but it's not so we are heading back!!

Dont waste your money coming here..it's soo boring for the kids! and soooooo expensive he'll never afford to own his own car or go out much..not that thereis much to do for them anyway..drugs,gambling, petty crime and youth all higher here..We came thinking it would be better for our little ones but it's not so we are heading back!!

I don't know where you live but almost every young 18+ person I know has a car. And there is so much for kids to do here that the problem is what to choose out of all that is on offer.

Things are going to get very bad here in the UK and Europe for a very long time. The PM has admitted at least another 10 years of very hard times (AKA Austerity). Remember, the Austerity cuts have barley begun here. My advice would be to look at whether your family in the UK is your priority rather than jobs etc as you like everyone will need them and they will no doubt need you.

I am heading to Australia to ride out the storm coming, at least with all its issues, Australia hasn't got anywhere near the debt problems of the UK. I am doing it for my son, I don't want him owing £40,000 pounds or £20,000 of government debt at the age of 2...sorry, whish I could be more positive for you. Best of luck

Don't kid youself.Australia is up to it's eyes in debt.Infact it has a bigger houseing debt than America per capita.Even some of the very rich minning companies are billions in debt,they thought the minning boom was going to go on for a lot more years,so they invested billions in machinery for more production,and it's not happening.hundreds of miners are being laid off,Retail is shedding thousands of jobs and so are the state governments.Manufactureing is on it's knees.Australia thought it had missed the GFC but it hasn't.With a work force of only 12 million.Australia is going to find the going real tough.It's so exspensive here.People just can't afford to hire a tradesmen,they are realy over the top.So whatever needs doing arround the home you do it yourself.I have just finished building a retainer wall.i was quoted $10,000 It's 12 mitres by 6 mitres,the smallest quote was $6,500.The material cost me $1200,So how do they justify all the labour cost?It's rip off city.But soon they will all come back down to earth.And then how are they going to pay for their lavish homes??One third of home owners are in negative equity now.Why??? they thought the boom was giong to last forever.

Guest guest76088

But apart from the irrigation, the roads, the education, the health system what has Australia ever done for us ??:arghh:

Don't kid youself.Australia is up to it's eyes in debt.Infact it has a bigger houseing debt than America per capita.Even some of the very rich minning companies are billions in debt,they thought the minning boom was going to go on for a lot more years,so they invested billions in machinery for more production,and it's not happening.hundreds of miners are being laid off,Retail is shedding thousands of jobs and so are the state governments.Manufactureing is on it's knees.Australia thought it had missed the GFC but it hasn't.With a work force of only 12 million.Australia is going to find the going real tough.It's so exspensive here.People just can't afford to hire a tradesmen,they are realy over the top.So whatever needs doing arround the home you do it yourself.I have just finished building a retainer wall.i was quoted $10,000 It's 12 mitres by 6 mitres,the smallest quote was $6,500.The material cost me $1200,So how do they justify all the labour cost?It's rip off city.But soon they will all come back down to earth.And then how are they going to pay for their lavish homes??One third of home owners are in negative equity now.Why??? they thought the boom was giong to last forever.

Looks like it's going to be the pits.

Archived