Did your boxes get opened by customs / AQIS ?

Goochie

We've packaged all of our things very carefully, ensuring every breakable item is individually bubble wrapped to prevent damage. We're a little concerned that if the boxes are opened and inspected they wont be so careful when re-packing.

We're self-packing as we're using the Seven Seas MoveCube and it'll be filled to the max so if they dont re-pack things carefully they'll struggle to get it all in the box again afterwards.

We're going to load things we think they may want to inspect (Christmas decorations) right at the front.

I have read on here that self moving is more likely to attract attention at customs. Personally id mark the boxes with 'Delicate' ,make sure you have pictures of the items intact and everything is listed on your insurance, just incase something did happen.

Cal x

With the large removal companies the AQIS have the inventory in advance and know what boxes they will open - usually things like fishing gear, tools, shoes, wicker items, bikes etc. Make sure you label your boxes well and have a detailed inventory if you are doing it yourself. I had a few boxes opened but nothing was damaged or needed any further treatment etc. One tip I was given is to use plenty of jeyes fluid or disinfectant etc - basically anything that make your belongings 'smell clean'.

NWM

We've packaged all of our things very carefully, ensuring every breakable item is individually bubble wrapped to prevent damage. We're a little concerned that if the boxes are opened and inspected they wont be so careful when re-packing.

We're self-packing as we're using the Seven Seas MoveCube and it'll be filled to the max so if they dont re-pack things carefully they'll struggle to get it all in the box again afterwards.

We're going to load things we think they may want to inspect (Christmas decorations) right at the front.

hi can i just ask do you know wher you are having them sent to? I am not sure where I will be living when I get there and just wondered if I would be able to send them after I have left if you know what I mean!

Ours was all professionaly packed and had a full inventory for each box. Customs still opened quite a few boxes up - not just the obvious ones with outdoor stuff in. The even took the backs off some of our old paintings. I think they have to have contact details for someone over here once it has arrived. You need to get it out of customs and into storage once they've finished with it or they will charge you extra.

• 2 weeks later...

It's definitely a good idea to load items of interest to AQIS at the front and separately. If it helps this site lists common items of interest to AQIS and how to prepare to move...http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/entering-australia/moving-emigrating#common

They opened cats stuff, christmas decs and the diving gear. All was repacked but we could tell they had been opened. The container gets x-rayed which is sometimes how they pick up on stuff. What is it you are concerned about? If you have something you fear may get picked out, yes do ask to put that box at the front, but also take photos before and an itemised inventory.

• 3 months later...
Guest crystal-gaze

Apparently they randomly select boxes to open once paperwork has been checked & ok. Well that`s what they did with us anyway.

Boxes with Christmas deccies and box with Henry hoover in it (had bought brand new head, filters and bags) so through with no probs. 1 set of kids maracas snuck through my radar and got discovered by Customs worried about seeds or whatever was inside to make the shaker noise.

The boxes were re-sealed with Quarantine tape and everything fitted back in just fine.

Guest chris955

I have never had boxes opened, I have tended to forget to mention things that may catch the eye of customs, I always mark Christmas decorations as all plastic.

We used a move cube, not opened thankfully as there was no way they could re-pack that, it ws so tight.

Xrayed only. But from what i understand its a random thing

The two or three boxes we had labelled "Inspected by AQIS" were inside our move cube so they definitely opened the move cube itself. Just not sure they actually opened the boxes or if the label just means they x-rayed them.

I don't think so - something to do with being impossible to clean/get all dust out of it? More research needed - try the aqis website?

I'm really hoping your wrong on this one, Doree bonner packed and shipped all my stuff including my artificial Christmas tree, they said it was ok! I hope it is or I will be getting a fine when AQIS inspect, my container arrived in Brisbane yesterday so I'm sure il find out soon enough.

I'm really hoping your wrong on this one, Doree bonner packed and shipped all my stuff including my artificial Christmas tree, they said it was ok! I hope it is or I will be getting a fine when AQIS inspect, my container arrived in Brisbane yesterday so I'm sure il find out soon enough.

let me know please Rebecca.

Archived