TV show on ping pong poms

Lambethlad

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gordon Bennett they certainly picked em!!!!:biggrin: TBH, they didn't seem to appreciate anything.

I loved the family from Norfolk who turned up in Nambour to the band playing - they must have thought they were royalty or something.

We found the programme funny, but what I didn't think was funny was a family obtaining citizenship and then going back to the UK almost immediately. Why bother!!!! I don't think I heard any of them say one good thing about Oz. I certainly know it is not the UK and am not expecting it to be. If I want it to be like the UK, why leave in the first place!!! You cannot move to any country and expect to change it. You move there expecting it to change you. How can you compare an English country pub with an Aussie Bar, Where do they find these people? Rant over ...

Gosh how narrow minded can people be media media media turn it round we have had loads of messages of our Aussie friends saying how we were portrayed badly and how they have complained to channel 7.

Of course the majority of what we said was positive would I have stayed 5 years otherwise no.

I didn't come on the basis of home and away no of course not never watched it I came for adventure. Did they tell you i worked hard as a nurse and paid my taxes and contributed to the economy no of course not, Did they tell you I had just lost my dad to cancer no of course not and how my nephew has been diagnosed with a terminal illness no no no the the big reasons for returning. Did they show how we loved our time there it was just time for us to come back and all the positives no.

Dont judge on media know the truth I am quite happy as the people who knew us knew why we came home. Oh yes and believe it or not we had a laugh doing it. We are far from being boring so living here is the best place for us among those who have a sense of humour.

Just for the record love been home and I doubt we will ever return. Now people say what you would like. Sarah :biggrin:

Gosh how narrow minded can people be media media media turn it round we have had loads of messages of our Aussie friends saying how we were portrayed badly and how they have complained to channel 7.

Of course the majority of what we said was positive would I have stayed 5 years otherwise no.

I didn't come on the basis of home and away no of course not never watched it I came for adventure. Did they tell you i worked hard as a nurse and paid my taxes and contributed to the economy no of course not, Did they tell you I had just lost my dad to cancer no of course not and how my nephew has been diagnosed with a terminal illness no no no the the big reasons for returning. Did they show how we loved our time there it was just time for us to come back and all the positives no.

Dont judge on media know the truth I am quite happy as the people who knew us knew why we came home. Oh yes and believe it or not we had a laugh doing it. We are far from being boring so living here is the best place for us among those who have a sense of humour.

Just for the record love been home and I doubt we will ever return. Now people say what you would like. Sarah :biggrin:

Wow... remind me never to agree to an interview... ever!

Great Post Sarah,

For the record, although they did make a big play on the 'whinging' side of things - it was great TV, made us laugh which is presumably why they did it. I've seen the press do this kind of thing first hand and unfortunately there is no real recourse for you except to be seen as 'whinging' more - which would kind of defeat the purpose.

Anyway good luck in your move back and wishing you all the best with your nephew's health!!

NWM

That's right, they don't have ads on pom TV do they?

Nothing like they do in Oz,

Dont think a show can run for more than 7 or 8 minutes without going to an ad-break there

As for live sport....the ad-breaks in that is just a joke!

Watched the show and it was tough to judge who was the most annoying. The returning family, who were made to look like complete idiots by the editing, or the guy (fitzimmons is it?) who did the interview. I always find him annoying, thinking he looks really cool and clever with the headband thing on. He's about 30 years too old to look cool in something like that and I just can't take him seriously. He would be better off with the bald head.

Ive not seen it yet, but the reaction on Facebook last night, was completely in agreement that the family were a complete embarrassment to the British and that Australia was better off without them, that was just the polite comments. I have two sets of friends who have been on WDU and they have not come accross like this at all. If it was me that had been filmed in such a bad light, I think I would definatly be complaining.

OK, I've just cringed through a few minutes of that link.

My thoughts:

1. the presenter is a thug and his body language is intimidating

2. the editing is deliberately done to make the 'pommies' look stupid

3. the undertone of the show is a bristling smugness: not pretty, makes the show makers look stupid and arrogant (a dangerous combination)

4. I'd consider legal action if you were duped into believing the show would be taking a 'serious' look at the phenomenon of Brits returning

5. I never watch stuff like this, its too depressing

Guest Guest16631

.........just another mockumentary ...............made at the expense of a family at a difficult time in their lives..............produced to increase TVviewing with little or no regard for the family involved's feelings..............who were at times ....led......by the interviewer.........IMO

I watched it with my family and we thought the same as most on FB, that the family should have citizenship removed and that they made us Pommies look stupid and thick. I was embarassed and we all thought the family were idiots.

However

Since comming on here and reading from one who was interviewed, please accept my appologies. I should know better, than what the media portrays.. It did make the people involved look VERY bad, I for one would be complaining.

It leaves a sour taste on all the Aussies and makes it harder for people who are comming.

Guest Ptp113
.........just another mockumentary ...............made at the expense of a family at a difficult time in their lives..............produced to increase TVviewing with little or no regard for the family involved's feelings..............who were at times ....led......by the interviewer.........IMO

So the interviewer made them do the 'pommy run' two weeks after taking citizenship?

The media always have an angle. Don't get involved with them unless you have skin like a rhino. This applies especially to anything that purports to be "reality TV" or "fly on the wall". Reality is usually pretty boring so they have to pick on really minor issues and make them look big, they edit context out so people look like they are being really opinionated, and if the show is a series, they will decide on "characters" they want to portray and make sure one person is the kooky one, one the moaner, one the bitch, etc etc etc.

Guest Guest16631
So the interviewer made them do the 'pommy run' two weeks after taking citizenship?

...............I felt the interviewer ,led the family in the interview.............he could IMO of asked about other aspects of life..........instead of the sausages..!........and beer.........,also he is a .....professional interviewer..?...............who knows how we would be percieved by viewers .......under the same circumstances...!.........sure the choice to leave............was based on their own reaction to the situation and personal influences at the time..............!

I do still think citizenship should be revoked, if your planning on returning and not comming back, so soon after taking it, infact taking it knowing your leaving and dislike Australia to live in..

Archived