TV show on ping pong poms

Lambethlad

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest16631

........becomes a bit of a minefield then..............would the UK revoke citizen rights because you havn't lived there for over x amount of years.............?................also ,many return again as what was left behind has moved on without them or no longer feels like home...........o e of the down sides IMO of easy travel...........the eternal migrant.....

Guest guest71686

Revoke Citizenship are you serious? half of Australia have passports for countries they have never lived in or speak the local language , italy, greece etc, my brother in law for one. If you earn your citizenship or are entitled to it then why shouldn't you take it?

Revoke Citizenship are you serious? half of Australia have passports for countries they have never lived in or speak the local language , italy, greece etc, my brother in law for one. If you earn your citizenship or are entitled to it then why shouldn't you take it?

don't you understand? Australian citizenship like a precious jewel, coveted by the whole world, but which only the brave and true deserve....and for those lucky enough to get it.....mateship beckons

Guest Ptp113
don't you understand? Australian citizenship like a precious jewel, coveted by the whole world, but which only the brave and true deserve....and for those lucky enough to get it.....mateship beckons

Finally you get something right. Maybe there is hope for you after all?

I watched the show last night, the interviewer had too much to say for himself. And what they need to understand is, that those who have too much to say are usually the ones who are the most unhappy. Instead of Australians slagging of the UK, why don't they come down and see the UK?. The excuse "sun" is a very very poor excuse indeed. Australia is part of the commonwealth and is reigned by the Queen, and that is why UK is at the other side of the world to keep people from these kind of idiots presenting the show well away. Now I agree that the families were mugs going on there, and the questions were irrelevant. What they need to understand is yes Australia is expensive but if it wasn't then they would find themselves in a recession too like the UK.

OK, I've just cringed through a few minutes of that link.

My thoughts:

1. the presenter is a thug and his body language is intimidating

2. the editing is deliberately done to make the 'pommies' look stupid

3. the undertone of the show is a bristling smugness: not pretty, makes the show makers look stupid and arrogant (a dangerous combination)

4. I'd consider legal action if you were duped into believing the show would be taking a 'serious' look at the phenomenon of Brits returning

5. I never watch stuff like this, its too depressing

Unfortunately it's par for the course for commercial "current affairs" shows. No surprises there. Should be called "Cringe TV".

I do still think citizenship should be revoked, if your planning on returning and not comming back, so soon after taking it, infact taking it knowing your leaving and dislike Australia to live in..

I don't agree with that. There have been lots of post on here from folk who aren't settling, and the advice is always give it two years, which harps back to to the time when you only had to be in Australia for two years to get citizenship.

Getting citizenship is the sensible option. Who are we to judge whether or not that person should have citizenship. We have no idea of what is going on in a returne's life. On the outside it may seem like they hate Australia, but from speaking of experience, it is easy to blame the Country when you are at your lowest point. It doesn't necessarily mean that you hate the countr you are in, it's just a form of venting.

By gaining citizenship, it gives people options. They may return back to the UK and regret their decision, maybe not, but at least they have options.

Cheers

Karen

Guest guest71686

thats true ever since i moved here my career has taken off and i make guest appearances in home and away as a alpha male surfer with a fake tattoos around my neck saying 'live the dream'. I live on the beach with a pool that i swim in when there are too many sharks in the sea :biggrin: lifes easy i work 3 hours a week for $500,000 a month. At home i used to shine shoes for people in londons west-end

Guest The Pom Queen
I don't agree with that. There have been lots of post on here from folk who aren't settling, and the advice is always give it two years, which harps back to to the time when you only had to be in Australia for two years to get citizenship.

Getting citizenship is the sensible option. Who are we to judge whether or not that person should have citizenship. We have no idea of what is going on in a returne's life. On the outside it may seem like they hate Australia, but from speaking of experience, it is easy to blame the Country when you are at your lowest point. It doesn't necessarily mean that you hate the countr you are in, it's just a form of venting.

By gaining citizenship, it gives people options. They may return back to the UK and regret their decision, maybe not, but at least they have options.

Cheers

Karen

Agree

I have also known a couple of families having to jump through hoops to get a visa, yet they came over with their parents who then returned to the UK without getting citizenship, if they had waited these families wouldn't have had such heartache getting back

Guest Ptp113

Cheers

Karen

Two years isn't nearly enough to work it out. 5 years at least.

Guest guest17301

Right I dont know if the family Im talking about is the same lady thats posted on here BUT the only bit I watched on facebook via a link showed a family taking citizenship.....looking embarassed whilst miming badly to the National anthem...I was and am embarrassed for them and for what they represent....come on....at least have the decency to make it look real and learn the damn words???? If I was an Aussie Id be pretty hacked off about that too......dont tar all immigrants with the same brush...some actually have some real pride in their adopted country, want to contribute and stay and thats why you should take out citizenship....if you hate it at least pretend you dont on ceremony day...

I guessed from watching it that they had cut loads of things out etc and didn't think much of the bloke interviewing, if that's getting the story then it's a poor attempt. I myself have been here in Perth 5 years and it has been extremely difficult and lonely most of the time and miss people big time, especially the ones that you can just call and say are you free for a brew without making a weeks appointment for it. In saying all of this I think the warm sunny days, not baking are lovely and looking at the ocean and seeing different wildlife etc, but at the end of the day people can't help it if they miss home and if they can get the funds to make it back then why not? I'm sure there are Aussies living abroad that mention what they miss or compare, it's what they are used to.

Hope it works out for you back home.

Liz

:yes:

Guest Ptp113
I guessed from watching it that they had cut loads of things out etc and didn't think much of the bloke interviewing, if that's getting the story then it's a poor attempt. I myself have been here in Perth 5 years and it has been extremely difficult and lonely most of the time and miss people big time, especially the ones that you can just call and say are you free for a brew without making a weeks appointment for it. In saying all of this I think the warm sunny days, not baking are lovely and looking at the ocean and seeing different wildlife etc, but at the end of the day people can't help it if they miss home and if they can get the funds to make it back then why not? I'm sure there are Aussies living abroad that mention what they miss or compare, it's what they are used to.

Hope it works out for you back home.

Liz

:yes:

You have to make an appointment a week ahead to have a cup of tea?

It doesn't surprise me that the programme made the poms out in a negative light. Even the shots of the UK showed a power station belching out smoke and then cut to a view of a pristine beach in OZ. To compare like with like they should have shown the layer of smog that sits over Mt Isa or a junkie shooting up at kings cross.

Also they fail to mention that many of the poms that return home always intended to anyway such as temporary workers and the like and not because of some misguided illusion about oz and how that failed to materialise.

Anyway most aussies I know don't take these programmes seriously (60 minutes, today tonight etc) and just see them as sensationalist. (I saw a trailer for one the other week about how china is buying up land in oz and graphic was putting chinese flags all over Oz). Its just trash tv at the end of the day

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I liked this programme, especially the scenes of the beaches, seas and other fantastic modern features of Australa and then it showed the grey dowdy cold and miserable UK and If people want to go back because they miss family and friends and can't settle, it's their right to do this. However how anyone can't enjoy a nice cold beer overlooking a fabulous sunny beach is beyond me, everyone I know works all year to pay for a holiday abroad to get this, I want to emigrate for the great weather, to play golf in the warmth, to go to the beach and swim in the sea, to sit out on a night for months, because it's warm, to have and plan a barbecue, I will embrace this fabulous outdoor lifestyle and pray I get the chance to do so, it is the middle of the UK summer and me and the wife have Flu, really bad, I have been on anti biotics, my wife sounds awful coughing and spluttering, lots of other people I know have had it, some are off work with it and summer is a time to re-charge your batteries for the long I repeat very long winter we face in the UK, but we feel run down and knackered, please god give us a bit of nice hot sunny weather.

Guest Ptp113
It doesn't surprise me that the programme made the poms out in a negative light. Even the shots of the UK showed a power station belching out smoke and then cut to a view of a pristine beach in OZ. To compare like with like they should have shown the layer of smog that sits over Mt Isa or a junkie shooting up at kings cross.

Also they fail to mention that many of the poms that return home always intended to anyway such as temporary workers and the like and not because of some misguided illusion about oz and how that failed to materialise.

Anyway most aussies I know don't take these programmes seriously (60 minutes, today tonight etc) and just see them as sensationalist. (I saw a trailer for one the other week about how china is buying up land in oz and graphic was putting chinese flags all over Oz). Its just trash tv at the end of the day

Poms make themselves look bad. Taking citizenship while banging on about sausages and then doing a runner, sure doesn't help any poms cause here.

I liked this programme, especially the scenes of the beaches, seas and other fantastic modern features of Australa and then it showed the grey dowdy cold and miserable UK and If people want to go back because they miss family and friends and can't settle, it's their right to do this. However how anyone can't enjoy a nice cold beer overlooking a fabulous sunny beach is beyond me, everyone I know works all year to pay for a holiday abroad to get this, I want to emigrate for the great weather, to play golf in the warmth, to go to the beach and swim in the sea, to sit out on a night for months, because it's warm, to have and plan a barbecue, I will embrace this fabulous outdoor lifestyle and pray I get the chance to do so, it is the middle of the UK summer and me and the wife have Flu, really bad, I have been on anti biotics, my wife sounds awful coughing and spluttering, lots of other people I know have had it, some are off work with it and summer is a time to re-charge your batteries for the long I repeat very long winter we face in the UK, but we feel run down and knackered, please god give us a bit of nice hot sunny weather.

Perhaps if you didnt expend so much energy repeatedly describing the UK in such negative terms, you might not feel so run down.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Perhaps if you didnt expend so much energy repeatedly describing the UK in such negative terms, you might not feel so run down.

Yeah that's it, Dr Harpo knows best, are you poorly a lot in Oz, you are continuously negative about the land of plenty. Eh?

Pot, kettle ........

Guest JK2510

Hoff...we have been in Perth now for just over 17 mths and I have never had so many colds and flu bugs in a long long time....it's not sunny all year round...yes it does get cold...it is 14.c ATM and it feels cold...oh and it has rained on and off all day...it's not all sunny days and lovely beaches..Perth does get Bad weather as well.

Poms make themselves look bad. Taking citizenship while banging on about sausages and then doing a runner, sure doesn't help any poms cause here.

I agree about the citizenship. It makes a mockery of the system the way they did that. The aussies should make them burn their uk passports if they become citizens. ...I agree with what they said about the sausages tho...they are no walls or richmonds

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hoff...we have been in Perth now for just over 17 mths and I have never had so many colds and flu bugs in a long long time....it's not sunny all year round...yes it does get cold...it is 14.c ATM and it feels cold...oh and it has rained on and off all day...it's not all sunny days and lovely beaches..Perth does get Bad weather as well.

Yeah but, no but yeah ..... It makes up for it with at least 7 months of great weather though doesn't it, we are lucky to get 7 days in the UK, check my Summer weather thread out, so far it's running at 2 hot sunny days and 48 not hot sunny days.

Archived