Food Bills

Guest RichardLloyd1985

Guest RichardLloyd1985

Thinking about making a move with my mrs and 7 year old daughter but want to get everything worked out first.

I was wondering if anyone has a cost comparison on the food as all i can find is comparisons from 3 years ago and im sure they have changed.

Im not after a break down item by item, although if you could upload a recipt of a general shop that would be good.

Bit of a random question, but everyone asks about gas water and electric on here, but not food.

Currently we spend around £100/$155 AUD.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking about making a move with my mrs and 7 year old daughter but want to get everything worked out first.

I was wondering if anyone has a cost comparison on the food as all i can find is comparisons from 3 years ago and im sure they have changed.

Im not after a break down item by item, although if you could upload a recipt of a general shop that would be good.

Bit of a random question, but everyone asks about gas water and electric on here, but not food.

Currently we spend around £100/$155 AUD.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

100 pounds is the equivalent of $220 when comparing cost of living (at the 2.2 average salary conversion rate) so expect to pay around that.

For my family of 6 (2 adults 12 yr old, 8yr old, 4 yr old and a baby who has formula and nappies), We spend around $350- $400 a week depending on what is needed in a particular shop For example, if we need to replace cleaning products, washing powder and nappies for baby then it can be an expensive shop, but when cleaning stuff and washing powder etc is on special we tend to buy enough to last a few weeks/months. I could probably do it cheaper by going to F+V shops and butchers but quite frankly I HATE grocery shopping and can't be arsed having to go to 3 different shops when I can get it all in the one shop and I actually find Coles are getting cheaper compared to when we first arrived 3 years ago.

Guest RichardLloyd1985

Thanks for the responses. I went onto coles and was around $300 AUD. Which is about double what i spend, but my job will pay 2 1/2 times what im earning here. So in a way its cheaper.

Guest RichardLloyd1985

I work 14 hour days at work so have in a way 2 pack lunches a day. Then theres lunch and dinner for 2 people 5 days a week. Then have a nice meal on a saturday night and big roast on a sunday. Plus the breakfasts. But then again, i wont go for the blue line tesco products.

Thanks for the responses. I went onto coles and was around $300 AUD. Which is about double what i spend, but my job will pay 2 1/2 times what im earning here. So in a way its cheaper.

Yeh just remember the 2.2-2.4 dollars to the pound exchange rate, if you use this you will be pretty safe. It has worked for us going to Aus and then coming back to the UK

jesus some of you spend alot on shopping what the hell do you guys buy?

we live in the UK and our shopping is on average £55 per week for 2 of us

so im hoping it will be around the $150 mark so $600 pcm

I was spending $200 a week as a single bloke.

If I shop at the supermarket, it probably costs about $300 for the week excluding cat meat which we buy fresh from the pet shop in bulk and freeze down. That is for two adults and two small children (4 and 6), who eat a 'primal' type diet with lots of meat, fish and veggies, butter, eggs etc. Don't use processed food, but that amount also includes loo rolls, washing powder and cleaning things etc. if I buy at the butcher, green grocer etc, I probably spend about $80 per week on meat (always decent meat), $70 on veggies and fruit, about $60 in Aldi on loo rolls and so on, and then about $60 in the supermarket on other bits and bobs, and $30 on fish from the fishmonger. So it actually works out about the same, but I spend more on the meat (but for nicer meat) and less on the veggies and other things so it balances out. It depends on how busy I am though, because going to the separate shops does take far longer than buying all at the one place.

Then that works out well for you, great news :yes:

Unfortunately for us my Hubby earns less here than he was in the Uk! & we spend more on shopping here....Doh! (P.S There are 6 of us)

For 2 of us we used to spend about $150 a week in tescos or asda and that included a bottle or two of wine and some beer, the only extra was everynow and again we would stock up on nice sausages (god i miss good sausages) from a farm butcher.

Here we never spend less than $200 a week, thats with no booze, no meat other than the odd chicken, no fish, meat bought in bulk from a farmers market and fish stocked up from IGA every couple of months. We do eat fresh but I'd also say we buy a lot less of random things here because they're not available or not good so I'd say overall spending more on less, we do waste less here though

I also wonder about the huge differences in people's shopping budgets.

We tend to have one really big shop at the beginning of the month where we stock up on cleaning stuff, loo roll, kitchen roll, fill the freezer, etc. and that tends to be about $250. After that, I'd estimate that we spend about $80 a week on bread, milk, fresh fruit and veg, etc. I guess that averages out to just over $100 a week for a family of 3, all foodies. We don't have steak every day but we do have a roast every Sunday and lots of good, fresh food.

If I spent the sort of numbers some are talking about, I'd be even fatter!

We used to spend around £150/£200 p/w in Uk.....Now spend around $400 p/w in WA

Im told if you really shop around, you can get much better deals, but in the Uk I only really shopped at Tesco or Sainsburys & here I only shop at Coles

You're probably paying about 56 pounds a week extra on the current exchange rate.

WA doesn't have the competition that the East Coast has (no Aldi for example), for us, we've been here a few years and don't compare prices to the UK (I don't even know what they are in the UK now to be honest), as my hubby says - "it is what it is - it won't stop us eating". My shopping is about $250 - $300 per week for a family of 4 (my children eat like adults), it will include things like household cleaning stuff, toiletries etc., on different weeks.

Edited by ali