Food Bills

Guest RichardLloyd1985

Guest tandcmum

not sure why everyone is freaking out over this 2.2 cost of living conversion rate. I basically look at it that if you divide the cost of things here in half it gives you about equivalent of what it would cost to buy out of your UK wages. If you convert it using the current exchange rate then food does seem expensive, in fact some things seem exobatant, but that is only valid if you are earning and spending pounds not dollars. before we moved we did lots of research to make sure we wouldnt be struggling as we were on my wage in the uk and where hubby tried for 5 years to find a job. over here in oz food bills are smaller percentage of my wage than in the uk, as is rent, and petrol costs. as with anywhere there are ways to make things cheaper here just like the uk, coles and woolies do their own line of value/smart price food, and a few of the things we have bought in this range have been really good products compared to the value ranges in tesco's etc. plus if you want you can always buy top of the range everything and bump your food bills up astronomically....live to your means

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting.

If you compare all the posts where people provided a UK and OZ figure and convert at the costs of living average salary rate of 2.2 OZ comes out cheaper in almost all of them. That's a surprise. I would have expected them to be about equal given the comparison shops people have posted.

We use 2.2 to compare because that is the average difference in wages. This gives a more accurate guess as to the percentage of your wage you spend on food in each country.

This gives a more accurate idea in cost of living comparisons as the exchange rate is meaningless when comparing cost of living when earning local currencies.

Note: I had to guess what some people meant so have noted it next to their figures.

UK £150-£200 = $330-$440 versus OZ $400

UK cheaper or OZ cheaper - depends on upper or lower figure

UK £55 = $121 versus OZ $100

Note: £55 is £80 - £25 to remove cost of new baby.

OZ cheaper

Note: Richard said costing him double so that is below the 2.2 rate.

Oz cheaper

£120-£150 = $264-$330 versus OZ $250-$280

Oz cheaper

£100 ($150/1.5) = $220 versus $200

Note:RoseBrown gave their UK figures in dollars so assume they used the exchange rate to convert so converted back into pounds at 1.5 before multiplying by 2.2.

Oz cheaper

£120 = $264 versus $200

Oz cheaper

Would like to protest at my figures being edited! I am an accountant more than capable of working out my own figures. My $150 for UK is $150 not $220, anything to make it look like i used to spend more! I I spent less and got more in the UK because that was for everything, here as I said we also bulk buy meat and fish, so I would add at least $50 a week to that plus alcohol which isn't much as we don't drink much.

Why does anyone have to live in Australia to google average wages ?? these aren't my figures, they are fact figures taken, from pay of teachers, police, prison officers, nurses, IT workers, most tradies, Etc, etc, average wages have gone down in the UK and they have gone up in Australia, the good thing about the odd few not getting the 2.2 rate, is that it highlights just how important it is to not accept a lesser rate, or expect to struggle if you do, if only you had been lucky enough to read my helpful tips on this before, you might not be struggling now, its a good lesson for everyone, try to get 2.2 times your uk wage for a similar standard of living, if you can't, think hard about going, because you will struggle.

Try living here before you comment!!

Average Australian Wage 2011 By Industry

(Full Time Ordinary Earnings)

[TABLE=class: cms_table, width: 400]

[TR=class: cms_table_tabletop, bgcolor: #A9DB52]

[TD]Industry Sector[/TD]

[TD]Average Annual Wage[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Mining[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$113,636[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Manufacturing[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$61,989[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Electricity, Gas and Water Supply[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$78,432[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Construction[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$71,110[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Wholesale Trade[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$69,638[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Retail Trade[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$50,898[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Accommodation, Cafes and Restaurants[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$49,785[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Transport and Storage[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$67,018[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Communication Services[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$80,257[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Finance and Insurance[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$80,480[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Property and Business Services[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$63,294[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Professional, Scientific and Technical Services[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$82,212[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Administrative and Support Services[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$59,904[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Government Administration and Safety[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$72,940[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Education[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$73,154[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Health and Community Services[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$65,983[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Cultural and Recreational Services[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$62,509[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Other Services[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$54,636[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

This doesn't show all wages, some are higher, some are lower,

CHECK OUT THE UK WAGE LINK BELOW.

Average salary falls 3pc in face of high inflation - Telegraph

AVERAGE WAGES IN THE UK DROPPED BY 1.7% IN 2012 AND ARE SET TO DROP AGAIN IN 2013.

Am I right in thinking that if you want the UK equivalent to the wages above you divide the wage by 2.2 eg Cultural and Recreational Services $62,509 = £28,413. Looking at the salary figures in the table above I don't know how most Ozzies can survive in this country especially if they have children to feed etc and they only have the one income coming in.

Guest Ptp113
Am I right in thinking that if you want the UK equivalent to the wages above you divide the wage by 2.2 eg Cultural and Recreational Services $62,509 = £28,413. Looking at the salary figures in the table above I don't know how most Ozzies can survive in this country especially if they have children to feed etc and they only have the one income coming in.

That's where the 2.2 fails miserably

Guest guest17301

Well just done the shopping, wondered if I was underestimating after seeing some posts so this is what I got....a big shop as freezer nearly empty

t bone steaks x 3, whole chicken and chicken breasts, leg of lamb, small, kilo irish pork sausages, small pack bacon, kg mince beef, half kg lamb mince, tins of soup, beans, tuna, juice boxes, conditioner, 2 x roll on deodorants, hair products, johnsons baby wipes, floor wipes, cereal bars x 2 packs, 5 choc bars, tea bags, 3 jars sauces, bran flakes oat so simple, energy drink 6 pack, 8 sorbent loo roll, bread and muffins, crumpets,tights 2 pack, marg, frozen veg x 2, frozen fish and fishcakes, chicken tenders, chips, pizzas x 2,cottage cheese, yoghurt 6 pack, squeezy yop yogs, ham, dog bones, bottle of pop, mushrooms, anzac biscuits, chappatis. All for $228.18. No fruit and veg as having box delivered later from farmers shop...$14 usually $28 but got it on a groupon. I think thats pretty good and that will last us over a week I would say...remembering we have 1 take out a week.

Well just done the shopping, wondered if I was underestimating after seeing some posts so this is what I got....a big shop as freezer nearly empty

t bone steaks x 3, whole chicken and chicken breasts, leg of lamb, small, kilo irish pork sausages, small pack bacon, kg mince beef, half kg lamb mince, tins of soup, beans, tuna, juice boxes, conditioner, 2 x roll on deodorants, hair products, johnsons baby wipes, floor wipes, cereal bars x 2 packs, 5 choc bars, tea bags, 3 jars sauces, bran flakes oat so simple, energy drink 6 pack, 8 sorbent loo roll, bread and muffins, crumpets,tights 2 pack, marg, frozen veg x 2, frozen fish and fishcakes, chicken tenders, chips, pizzas x 2,cottage cheese, yoghurt 6 pack, squeezy yop yogs, ham, dog bones, bottle of pop, mushrooms, anzac biscuits, chappatis. All for $228.18. No fruit and veg as having box delivered later from farmers shop...$14 usually $28 but got it on a groupon. I think thats pretty good and that will last us over a week I would say...remembering we have 1 take out a week.

eyup, thee got theeself a bockle o pop!

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I don't know how a family of 4 survives here in the Uk on £28k, It's no different, the wage in Oz is still the equivalent of 2.2 near enough and the uk wage you quote is above the uk average and the Australian wage is just below, you do know i'm not responsible for paying the wages. Lol.

Edited by The Ropey HOFF

We feed a family of 4 on between $160 - $200 a week.

We get most of the veggies at a grocer which usually works out cheaper (although Coles do some great deals sometimes).

We bulk buy meat on special at the butcher (thanks to JohnDoe for the recs).

The rest we tend to get at Woolies.

I plan meals so we don't have much wastage and get things in season, we eat a lot of pasta (very very cheap here) and rice.

We don't have toiletries or toilet rolls included in the shop yet as we bought a lot from home (I know that sounds odd but we bought hundreds of toilet rolls from Costco on offer before we knew we were coming so they came with us as we had space) so will get a little higher.

We feed a family of 4 on between $160 - $200 a week.

We get most of the veggies at a grocer which usually works out cheaper (although Coles do some great deals sometimes).

We bulk buy meat on special at the butcher (thanks to JohnDoe for the recs).

The rest we tend to get at Woolies.

I plan meals so we don't have much wastage and get things in season, we eat a lot of pasta (very very cheap here) and rice.

We don't have toiletries or toilet rolls included in the shop yet as we bought a lot from home (I know that sounds odd but we bought hundreds of toilet rolls from Costco on offer before we knew we were coming so they came with us as we had space) so will get a little higher.

I always do a weekly planner here, people think i am sad, but saves a fortune on money, and we waste no food at all, i am bringing this tool out with me, so will keep our shopping lower than average,, we like you are stock up on toiletries etc and will ship over xx lol

Reading this thread, I suspect some of the differences in budget are as follows:

-we use practically no prepared foods. Almost everything here is made from fresh meat, veg etc.

-some things are planned for multiple meals. For example, I did a roast leg of lamb on Sunday. The leftovers became Mongolian lamp last night--and the rest of them will become a pot of Scots broth tomorrow which will likely do two meals. Last week's roast chicken similarly did at least 3 meals.

-yeah, we do watch the specials. For example cereals were on special at Woolworths last week so I bought several boxes that will last the month.

As for the debate on whether prepared foods are for the lazy or the busy, I make no comment--but there are many meals I can whip up from scratch that take me little longer than a prepared one--and taste better for half the price.

Guest RichardLloyd1985
Why does anyone have to live in Australia to google average wages ?? these aren't my figures, they are fact figures taken, from pay of teachers, police, prison officers, nurses, IT workers, most tradies, Etc, etc, average wages have gone down in the UK and they have gone up in Australia, the good thing about the odd few not getting the 2.2 rate, is that it highlights just how important it is to not accept a lesser rate, or expect to struggle if you do, if only you had been lucky enough to read my helpful tips on this before, you might not be struggling now, its a good lesson for everyone, try to get 2.2 times your uk wage for a similar standard of living, if you can't, think hard about going, because you will struggle.

In the uk im on £45,000 a year. So would i be right in thinking i would need to earn $155,000 AUD to have same living? based on the conversion on £1 UK = $1.55 AUD?

In the uk im on £45,000 a year. So would i be right in thinking i would need to earn $155,000 AUD to have same living? based on the conversion on £1 UK = $1.55 AUD?

Wouldn't it be $99,000 you needed?? or am i missing something?

Edited by Dansi
crap mathematics

A direct currency conversion doesn't work particularly and so much depends on what one's lifestyle expectations are. Some things are relatively more expensive (as a percentage of income), other things are the same or cheaper, so it's really a question of looking up ball-park figures for what you're going to want/be satisfied with and then tallying up what salary you'd need to afford this lifestyle. The 2.2 x UK salary is a rough guide only.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

£45k x by 2.2 = $99,000

Would like to protest at my figures being edited! I am an accountant more than capable of working out my own figures. My $150 for UK is $150 not $220, anything to make it look like i used to spend more! I I spent less and got more in the UK because that was for everything, here as I said we also bulk buy meat and fish, so I would add at least $50 a week to that plus alcohol which isn't much as we don't drink much.

I think you have totally missed the point and then insulted me into the bargain. I did not edit your figures to make it look like you spent more and resent the accusation it was "anything to make it look like i used to spend more! "

I made this note:

"Note: I had to guess what some people meant so have noted it next to their figures."

And this note as well next to the calculations of your figures:

"Note:RoseBrown gave their UK figures in dollars so assume they used the exchange rate to convert so converted back into pounds at 1.5 before multiplying by 2.2."

The 100 pound cost in the UK is your $150 converted back into pounds as noted - if you didn't use the exchange rate then let me know - I stated this as an assumption.

I then multiplied your 100 pound UK cost by 2.2 to convert it into the average wage cost of living comparison rate, just like I did all the other UK figures, as this was "the whole point" of my post, repeated here again with the relevant parts in bold to give you another chance to read it before throwing insults around:

"If you compare all the posts where people provided a UK and OZ figure and convert at the costs of living average salary rate of 2.2 OZ comes out cheaper in almost all of them

We use 2.2 to compare because that is the average difference in wages. This gives a more accurate guess as to the percentage of your wage you spend on food in each country.

This gives a more accurate idea in cost of living comparisons as the exchange rate is meaningless when comparing cost of living when earning local currencies.

Edited by fish.01

In the Uk I supported a family of 4 on £30k in Leeds, here in Brisbane up until May I was on $70k inc super

Over all I would say the money allowed me an equivalent lifestyle in Australia to back in the UK

In support of the 2.2 argument the price of food here is about 2 times but depending on what you buy and when can vary hugely. Fresh food is very seasonal here, where in the UK we have become so used to importing all our food we expect equivalent pricing all year round.

This argument is endless, you always get the people with unrealistic expectations and the others with doom and gloom no one can live on this kinda money ect ect... at the end of the day you live to your means, if you earned £30k in the then you can live the same here on $70inc super which is about $63k. Assuming you don't move to Perth, the economy there is crazy right now and you need more like 3 times your UK salary to amount to the same thing.

I know this because I live here and have been earning pretty much 2.2 times my UK salary for the past year.

My wife got into this same argument on Saturday with a load of her expat friends, they were all "oh how expensive everything is here" and will never listen to reasoned arguments because they just don't want to hear it. There will never be a resolution to this argument until people are willing accept evidence based arguments which frankly they are not.

Example 1. Bread oh it's sooooo expensive here compared to back home.. bread in the Uk varies from about 50p to £2.50 per loaf, in Australia it varies from around $1 to $4

For anyone worried about cost of living over here, just remember it's not cheap it's pretty much the same based on average salaries.

Here ar my comparisons:

New Mazda 6 UK 2007: £14500

New Mazda 6 Australia 2012: $31k

New Kawasaki er6f UK £5999

New Kawasaki ninja650r(same bike) $9999

Weekly food bill UK: £120p/w

Weekly food bill Australia: $200p/w

Gas/electric UK: £50p/w

Gas electric Australia: $25p/w

Petrol UK: £1.35 per litre

Petrol Oz: $1.40 per litre

Car insurance and road tax uk: £700 per year

Car insurance and rego australia: $900 per year

Mortgage at home £700 per month

Rent in Oz: $1440 per 4 weeks

New shoes for work UK £50

New shoes for work Australia $100

Mcdonalds meal UK: £4

Mcdonalds meal Australia: $7.95

I could go on and on forever with evidence and proof or the correlation of pricing and still there will be people on this board saying I live in cloud cuckoo land and that the figures aren't true...

Anyway I hope this helps someone to see the truth behind cost of living and not the doom a lot of people try to portay.

Edited by ldticp

I have 4 kids, so 6 of us, my eldest is 18.

We spend around $400 + a week on food.

I buy food from the organic butchers in bulk, roughly $350 a mth

food connect organic/spray free (fruit/veg and eggs) $300+ a mt

other supermarkets for bits and bobs and groceries/toiletries/ cats $800 mth

health shop for top up organic food/nuts $200 mth

we could however half this if we ate cheaply..

I used to spend £150 + in the UK but that was 3 + yrs ago, I got discount for working there and we did not eat organic then!

I actually find it very expensive to make everything from scratch but we rarely eat anything processed except snacks for the kids school boxes and treats, all food is homemade from scratch. I guess its buying organic that makes it so expensive but its my priority at the moment.

Edited by fairystar32