Food Bills

Guest RichardLloyd1985

Pre-prepared is good for lazy people, and there isn't a lot of pre-prepared organic food anywhere. Apart from that you can get anything food wise a supercrap has at a. Good darmers market, and at lower prices.

Sounds like you been buying your pre-prepared beer at the good darmers market....never heard of it myself though.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pre-prepared is good for lazy people, and there isn't a lot of pre-prepared organic food anywhere. Apart from that you can get anything food wise a supercrap has at a. Good darmers market, and at lower prices.

I thought pre prepared food was for busy people. The amount of time you spend on here , always with negative comments, I'm sure you have lots of time on your hands to prepare your own food !

We don't buy things 'on offer', but then we don't buy the second rate 'food' on offer at supermarkets.

I too would like to know what you mean by second rate foods on offer at supermarkets. The food I buy on offer is items like yoghurts, washing powder etc. And to be honest there is not a lot of pre-prepared foods in the supermarket in Oz compared to England. I take it from your reply that you do not work so have plenty of time to make everything from scratch!

I also wonder about the huge differences in people's shopping budgets.

We tend to have one really big shop at the beginning of the month where we stock up on cleaning stuff, loo roll, kitchen roll, fill the freezer, etc. and that tends to be about $250. After that, I'd estimate that we spend about $80 a week on bread, milk, fresh fruit and veg, etc. I guess that averages out to just over $100 a week for a family of 3, all foodies. We don't have steak every day but we do have a roast every Sunday and lots of good, fresh food.

If I spent the sort of numbers some are talking about, I'd be even fatter!

100 a week :elvis: With booze I was spending almost 200 a week as a single bloke in perth are you very skinny?

We don't buy things 'on offer', but then we don't buy the second rate 'food' on offer at supermarkets.

So if your normal brand that you usually buy is on offer you don't buy it :laugh: Good food is on offer if you look....

p.s I bet you do look for the offers:wink:

Guest guest17301

If I spend $200 at coles that would get me a big shop including toiletries, cleaning products etc, more typically will spend around $160 and another 40 to 60 in iga on bits and bobs bread and milk etc..... I take the time to go to the market can knock about 60 off....very little in the way of packaged snack foods like bicuits crisps bars etc which I do find expensive. Will also spend $40 or so on one takeaway per week and around 60 on beer and wine.

I don't know where i go wrong or most of my friends I spend on average $320-$350 a week on shopping some friends upto $400, I do buy pepsi max cans every couple of weeks when they are on special, but I do stock up on alot of stuff, I spend alot on yogurts,cheese and ham, my kids just never seem to stop eating lol, they have 2-3 pieces of fruit a day, 3-5 veg a day and meat 6 times a week, we get take out I would say once a month, we all drink lots of water, I drink alot of tea. I find the cereals are expensive sometimes but I get them on special. That includes bird,dog and fish food too. I might have to re-budget myself I think

Laney x

Guest Ptp113
Sounds like you been buying your pre-prepared beer at the good darmers market....never heard of it myself though.

We don't buy pre-pared anything. And we don't drink so beer isn't on the shopping list.

Guest Ptp113
so if your normal brand that you usually buy is on offer you don't buy it :laugh: Good food is on offer if you look....

P.s i bet you do look for the offers:wink:

we don't buy food in supercraps.

Also the people that keep quoting $2.2 to the pound, Not everyone one here is lucky enough to be earning that exchange rate. I know of at least 3 people on the same or slightly less than they were on in the UK.

I'm one of those that always quotes 2.2...though I did add 'it does seem to suggest that "if" you achieve the 2.2 difference in wages' in acknowledgement that it is just an average and some will be below the average and some above. The 2.2 comes from the difference in average wages between the two countries rather than being an exchange rate.

When comparing cost of living as a whole you obviously have to pick some conversion rate....the current exchange rate is mathematically totally incorrect as it ignores wages so the 2.2 is an attempt to do a country wide comparison of cost of living as a percentage of wage....ie iPad in UK costs x% of UK wage vs in OZ costs y% of OZ wage....this is the only somewhat accurate way to compare and the 2.2 reflects this.

This doesn't mean some won't earn below 2.2 and find things more expensive and some will earn above and find things cheaper....that's the nature of averages I guess. It does give people a target to aim at when negotiating a wage....ie if earning 40,000 pounds stirling don't think of $60,000 as the equivalent because the equivalent is more likely to be around $88,000. Of course changing size of cities and other stuff can influence this so just an attempt to get the closest approximation.

Edited by fish.01

We don't buy pre-pared anything. And we don't drink so beer isn't on the shopping list.

Sounds like a right hoot over at yours :SLEEP:

Guest Ptp113
Sounds like a right hoot over at yours :SLEEP:

It is. Might come as a surprise but you don't need alcohol to live. Been there, done that!

I'm one of those that always quotes 2.2...though I did add 'it does seem to suggest that "if" you achieve the 2.2 difference in wages' in acknowledgement that it is just an average and some will be below the average and some above. The 2.2 comes from the difference in average wages between the two countries rather than being an exchange rate.

When comparing cost of living as a whole you obviously have to pick some conversion rate....the current exchange rate is mathematically totally incorrect as it ignores wages so the 2.2 is an attempt to do a country wide comparison of cost of living as a percentage of wage....ie iPad in UK costs x% of UK wage vs in OZ costs y% of OZ wage....this is the only somewhat accurate way to compare and the 2.2 reflects this.

This doesn't mean some won't earn below 2.2 and find things more expensive and some will earn above and find things cheaper....that's the nature of averages I guess. It does give people a target to aim at when negotiating a wage....ie if earning 40,000 pounds stirling don't think of $60,000 as the equivalent because the equivalent is more likely to be around $88,000. Of course changing size of cities and other stuff can influence this so just an attempt to get the closest approximation.

I agree, But I also think it gives people the wrong impression that they are going to come here and earn the equivalent 2.2 wage and so they base their research on these figures and when they arrive the reality is that some people don't get that 2.2 wage, and struggle to survive. (obviously not all people base their decision of migrating on the money they *could* earn).

Guest guest17301

Its interesting Laney how bills vary...what sort of stuff do you buy? In a typical week I buy a big pack of mince, a chicken or joint of lamb/beef and a pack of steak plus some chicken breast or stir fry lamb strips, box of cereals x2 weetbix, sultana bran and usually bag of oats, cheese, eggs, milk, yogs, juice boxes for lunches, oaty bars for lunches, big pack pepsi max, fruit and veg, rice, pasta, maybe a few sauces, washing powder, loo rolls, kitchen roll, frozen stuff ie wedges, fishcakes, chicken tenders, veg, margarine...I also buy tuna pots and noodles tins of soup etc for our work lunches would think $350 worth would last at least a fortnight with top ups....kids eat sandwiches and cereal for snacks, yogs and fruit too....they do complain theres nothing in half the time but what they mean is instant snack stuff like pizza pies cake crisps etc!!

Edited by guest17301

I agree, But I also think it gives people the wrong impression that they are going to come here and earn the equivalent 2.2 wage and so they base their research on these figures and when they arrive the reality is that some people don't get that 2.2 wage, and struggle to survive. (obviously not all people base their decision of migrating on the money they *could* earn).

It's the only somewhat accurate way to compare cost of living so not much we can do about that unfortunately...obviously we can't suppress the figure on the off chance that people misuse it as a guarantee that they will achieve the average country wide difference. I can't see what else we can do? We can't go back to using the exchange rate as that rate is absolutely totally mathematically incorrect and useless when comparing country wide cost of living for people who earn local wages. It would be nonsensical to use it unfortunately.

Edited by fish.01

Guest The Ropey HOFF
hi hoff remind me are you living in oz or have you ever lived in oz ?i live in wa and can asure you that food is very expensive and you have to always buy promo offers to get by unless of course you are working in the mines. my oh is a carpenter here and believe me the wage is crap compared to the cost of living ,certainly does not work out to the figures you have stated:huh:

Why does anyone have to live in Australia to google average wages ?? these aren't my figures, they are fact figures taken, from pay of teachers, police, prison officers, nurses, IT workers, most tradies, Etc, etc, average wages have gone down in the UK and they have gone up in Australia, the good thing about the odd few not getting the 2.2 rate, is that it highlights just how important it is to not accept a lesser rate, or expect to struggle if you do, if only you had been lucky enough to read my helpful tips on this before, you might not be struggling now, its a good lesson for everyone, try to get 2.2 times your uk wage for a similar standard of living, if you can't, think hard about going, because you will struggle.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I don't see the logic in this at all. Why would anyone think that they will definately get a wage of 2.2 times their uk wage in Australia, surely anyone with any sense would do some research and find out what the wage is?

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Before people criticise, myself and fish are only trying to help people and stop those making big mistakes when accepting a wage in Australia using the completely pointless current exchange rate. I helped a family of four who were going to accept a wage of $45,000 thinking it was the same as £30,000 in the UK and because he was earning £26,000 he thought he would be a lot better off, but when i explained that it was in reality, only worth about £20,000 using the average wage rate, he was shocked and he turned down this wage offer and thanked me massively over saving him, his wife and two young kids from being skint and really struggling, it made me feel good that i had helped someone, thats what PIO is about.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
My husband is a skilled migrant and he is not earning the 2.2 rate.

It would help if you said what your husband did and how much he earned, cheers

Guest The Ropey HOFF
nor me....

Do the same as well, it will help others, whats your job and how much do you earn, cheers.

Why does anyone have to live in Australia to google average wages ?? these aren't my figures, they are fact figures taken, from pay of teachers, police, prison officers, nurses, IT workers, most tradies, Etc, etc, average wages have gone down in the UK and they have gone up in Australia, the good thing about the odd few not getting the 2.2 rate, is that it highlights just how important it is to not accept a lesser rate, or expect to struggle if you do, if only you had been lucky enough to read my helpful tips on this before, you might not be struggling now, its a good lesson for everyone, try to get 2.2 times your uk wage for a similar standard of living, if you can't, think hard about going, because you will struggle.

The problem is, not anybody I know is getting this conversion rate for the salary or even close to it - best is 2.0 and that is only 1 person, the other 6 I know range from 1.5 - 1.8. So yes people need to really do a lot of reserch to see how the actual numbers will fall.

I really think a lot of poeple are shocked at the costs in Oz - not because they are really that expensive as a % of salary compared to the UK but more because they expected to be richer after the move. What I dont understand is that if people were just getting by in the UK or were doing just okay, what makes them think they will be loaded when they get to Oz.

Hoff, you go alright mate. I have used the 2.2 rate going to Aus and again coming back to the UK. And it has worked very well.

You have obviously put a lot of time into your research and put a lot of time offering advice on here. I assume there are lots on here that appreciate your advice.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
The problem is, not anybody I know is getting this conversion rate for the salary or even close to it - best is 2.0 and that is only 1 person, the other 6 I know range from 1.5 - 1.8. So yes people need to really do a lot of reserch to see how the actual numbers will fall.

I really think a lot of poeple are shocked at the costs in Oz - not because they are really that expensive as a % of salary compared to the UK but more because they expected to be richer after the move. What I dont understand is that if people were just getting by in the UK or were doing just okay, what makes them think they will be loaded when they get to Oz.

It is based on facts, average wages from each country, you know a few people who don't earn the 2.2 rate, but as i have said before alot of skilled workers do, nurses, police, screws, IT workers, alot of Tradies, teachers etc, its a fact, obviously not everyone earns the average wage, but neither do they earn the average wage in the UK. People need to do their research and aim for the 2.2 rate, if possible, if not, expect to struggle, at least this thread will highlight this.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Average Australian Wage 2011 By Industry

(Full Time Ordinary Earnings)

[TABLE=class: cms_table, width: 400]

[TR=class: cms_table_tabletop, bgcolor: #A9DB52]

[TD]Industry Sector[/TD]

[TD]Average Annual Wage[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Mining[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$113,636[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Manufacturing[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$61,989[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Electricity, Gas and Water Supply[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$78,432[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Construction[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$71,110[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Wholesale Trade[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$69,638[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Retail Trade[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$50,898[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Accommodation, Cafes and Restaurants[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$49,785[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Transport and Storage[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$67,018[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Communication Services[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$80,257[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Finance and Insurance[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$80,480[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Property and Business Services[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$63,294[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Professional, Scientific and Technical Services[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$82,212[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Administrative and Support Services[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$59,904[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Government Administration and Safety[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$72,940[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Education[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$73,154[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Health and Community Services[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$65,983[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Cultural and Recreational Services[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$62,509[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]Other Services[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_cell, bgcolor: #F5F5F5, align: center]$54,636[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

This doesn't show all wages, some are higher, some are lower,

CHECK OUT THE UK WAGE LINK BELOW.

Average salary falls 3pc in face of high inflation - Telegraph

AVERAGE WAGES IN THE UK DROPPED BY 1.7% IN 2012 AND ARE SET TO DROP AGAIN IN 2013.

Edited by The Ropey HOFF