Food Bills

Guest RichardLloyd1985

It is based on facts, average wages from each country, you know a few people who don't earn the 2.2 rate, but as i have said before alot of skilled workers do, nurses, police, screws, IT workers, alot of Tradies, teachers etc, its a fact, obviously not everyone earns the average wage, but neither do they earn the average wage in the UK. People need to do their research and aim for the 2.2 rate, if possible, if not, expect to struggle, at least this thread will highlight this.

Hoff, I am not saying it is not based on facts or am I dis-agreeing with the logic. But not everybody earns the averages, and I know of people who earn £100k in the UK and there is a snow balls chance in hell of them getting AUD220k. Now if the get 1.6, that's AUD 160k = more than enough, so they can still make the move.

I think Oz likes everybody to be in the middle, so lower paid jobs in the UK seem to convert at 2.2 or more. Where highing paying UK jobs convert at a lower rate. Thus they try to keep the average person out of poverty.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hoff, I am not saying it is not based on facts or am I dis-agreeing with the logic. But not everybody earns the averages, and I know of people who earn £100k in the UK and there is a snow balls chance in hell of them getting AUD220k. Now if the get 1.6, that's AUD 160k = more than enough, so they can still make the move.

I think Oz likes everybody to be in the middle, so lower paid jobs in the UK seem to convert at 2.2 or more. Where highing paying UK jobs convert at a lower rate. Thus they try to keep the average person out of poverty.

Not being funny, Honestly but the word average is the key to this, it means some earn more, some earn less, it's just a guide, no one thinks it's an exact science.

The problem is, not anybody I know is getting this conversion rate for the salary or even close to it - best is 2.0 and that is only 1 person, the other 6 I know range from 1.5 - 1.8. So yes people need to really do a lot of reserch to see how the actual numbers will fall.

I really think a lot of poeple are shocked at the costs in Oz - not because they are really that expensive as a % of salary compared to the UK but more because they expected to be richer after the move. What I dont understand is that if people were just getting by in the UK or were doing just okay, what makes them think they will be loaded when they get to Oz.

Where did this 2.2 rate come from anyway? I was on about 1.5 of my wages I get in the UK, is it just a figure plucked out of thin air.

God, bet it is fun around your house at Xmas.

dont trust people who don't drink, they always seem a bit weird to me.

Unbelievable :nah:

Guest AKA63029

Just what is there not to 'trust' about someone who doesn't drink?

I do find t-totalers a lot different to people who like a drink......I just don't seem to warm to them to be honest, they seem strange to me. Only my opinion, don't bite my head of andy.

I am not biting your head off, i just find your statement that people who don't drink are weird bizarre, everyone is different and it does not make them weird.

Guest Tamjb
Thinking about making a move with my mrs and 7 year old daughter but want to get everything worked out first.

I was wondering if anyone has a cost comparison on the food as all i can find is comparisons from 3 years ago and im sure they have changed.

Im not after a break down item by item, although if you could upload a recipt of a general shop that would be good.

Bit of a random question, but everyone asks about gas water and electric on here, but not food.

Currently we spend around £100/$155 AUD.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Hello. We were in Perth last week getting our visas validated. My brother has lived in Brisbane for 4 & half years & came to stay with us whilst we were there. I don't think it's worth trying to explain to you how much things cost but what I can say is, some items we thought were slightly expensive (even cheese! compared to UK) my brother found the price to be perfectly normal & reasonable. Obviously this is because he is earning dollars & spending dollars. I think that's the only thing you can do really, if/when you go over there, forget the UK prices & economise according to what you earn & have available to spend.

Hello. We were in Perth last week getting our visas validated. My brother has lived in Brisbane for 4 & half years & came to stay with us whilst we were there. I don't think it's worth trying to explain to you how much things cost but what I can say is, some items we thought were slightly expensive (even cheese! compared to UK) my brother found the price to be perfectly normal & reasonable. Obviously this is because he is earning dollars & spending dollars. I think that's the only thing you can do really, if/when you go over there, forget the UK prices & economise according to what you earn & have available to spend.

So he didnt really notice a difference between prices in Brisbane v Perth?

Thanks

Guest Tamjb

UOTE=jamjar;1935854258]So he didnt really notice a difference between prices in Brisbane v Perth?

Thanks

Not in terms of food, beer, trips to zoo/aquarium, petrol etc but I suppose if you delved deeper into house prices & stuff like that my brother may have found it more expensive (Perth is apparently much more expensive I think?) In fact, one day we paid $9.30 for a ticket to use all day on the Trans Perth transport network. We parked the car at the train station, got the train into Perth city, used the bus service around Perth, caught the ferry to & from the zoo then caught the train back to where our car was parked all on this one ticket. My brother (and I) found this was amazing value & a great way to get around the city. He did say Perth City was so much quieter than Brisbane though. We went to Brisbane couple years ago but can't remember how busy/quiet it was.

I am not going to get into the debate about what classes as second rate food and pre-packaged food etc after going through "PepperGate". BTW, I don't drink if I'm weird, who cares:biggrin:

I did an online shop at Coles using my shop list from Carrefour. I spent €55 here and the same items cost €104.54 in WA, so if you use the trusted 2.2 exchange rate that would make it $121, so WA came out cheaper. WA suffers because there is not much competition, no Lidl or Aldi. Admittedly, shopping in Spain can be cheaper than the UK, but the quality of the produce would be the same - fresh and organic.

I am not going to get into the debate about what classes as second rate food and pre-packaged food etc after going through "PepperGate". BTW, I don't drink if I'm weird, who cares:biggrin:

I did an online shop at Coles using my shop list from Carrefour. I spent €55 here and the same items cost €104.54 in WA, so if you use the trusted 2.2 exchange rate that would make it $121, so WA came out cheaper. WA suffers because there is not much competition, no Lidl or Aldi. Admittedly, shopping in Spain can be cheaper than the UK, but the quality of the produce would be the same - fresh and organic.

Women not drinking is ok, but men not drinking is strange IMO

I used to drink all the time, but got fed up of falling about all over the shop and needing a carrier bag - Classy. TBH, I have never met a man who doesn't drink. My OH doesn't drink at the mo as he is on a diet. He had a couple of cheeky beers on Monday night and had to have a sleep afterwards, now that's Weird:biglaugh:

Guest Ptp113

I'll bet I've had more to drink over the last 45 years than you ever will. Just don't drink now and all the better for it too.

But getting back to food bills, I didn't mean to keep the topic off topic so have deleted my reply above. My apologies, back to topic eh :)

Edited by Guest

Back to food bills, by shopping at aldi we would spend maybe $100-125, whereas at coles it would be more like $150-200. Makes a big difference. I just wish aldi stocked some of the things we have to go to coles for, like marmite and soy yoghurt (son with dairy allergy)

Guest Ptp113

Costco has a large and eclectic wine section. Quite surprising to see the high end stuff, but then Costco always is a surprise