Was your first Aussie summer a shock to the system?!

VicsBM

My Aussie husband keeps saying I'm going to find it very different at first, and smiling in a 'you wait and see' way.

Is it bearable or horrendous? Will I be leaping into shady spots and air-conditioned buildings, whilst eating ice cubes?!

I've been a couple of times before, but in the Spring, which was fine... We will be in Queensland, Sunshine Coast.

How did you cope, first time round?

Cheers for any tips! :smile:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Don't wear make up, someone posted on here that her make up ran down her face everyday in summer, why she kept putting it on i don't know, lol, but you have been warned.

Guest Guest31881

I was fine most of the time, My wife (Australian) suffered more than i did, she had acclimatised to the UK weather and found her first summer back in Queensland oppressive at times.

Guest Flossyboss

Been in Brissy for two summers now and tbh, the first (or second) wasn't as bad as we expected. Yeah it was hot but not killingly so .... We have only used our air-con a handful of times ... after saying there was no way we'd go for a rental without it. Fans though are on pretty regularly in the summer! You will definitely look for the shade and enjoy feeling freezing in the shopping centres ... Same as almost everyone else here. It's only the mad fools who pitch themselves in the full sun on the hottest days. I've had problems with the make up issue ...but only on the most humid of days ... And I for one will not go out without my face on - no way! Would scare the locals :laugh:. As fast as I'm applying it, it's sliding off my face ... Nice!! But with the help of fans blasted me in the bathroom ... I now have the prob sorted! Less is definitely more ... And there's nothing less attractive than the sweaty tash people get when it's really sticky! One final comment .... Just remember, even if you're melting - never ever let on to the OH! :biggrin:

Air con in the car is a necessity but to be honest i think your biggest shock will be your first Aussie winter !!! lol, OMG no-one told me it got so nippy,lol, it well and truely knocked my rose tinted glasses off, i froze !!! lol

I could handle the heat every day ,but no way could i handle the cold mornings and evenings all year round..

Cal x

My first was in Sydney when I was 21 and it was fine. No access to air-con at home but did at work and shops.

My second was backpacking around - Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and it got to about 42C in Adelaide. No access to air-con except in shops. Was fine though as I wasn't in a rush.

We live in Brisbane now and I think it might be worse doing the school run etc in the heat. Everyone has told me that I'll be using the car for it so we'll see. Saying that everyone uses the car for the school run in any weather even if they live 2 streets away (and that is not a joke).

My first Australian summer was cold and wet. I never knew it could rain so much - and I have lived in Stornoway - and was surprised to have the heating on full blast on Christmas Day. Still, it was better than last Christmas Day with the golf ball sized hailstones.

I'm an Aussie so I don't know what it is like to move here. However you will find it easier to cope with the heat if you wear natural fabrics, stay away from really tight fitting clothes and wear light makeup.

A 3mm wet suit or a rashie and rip curl shorts too much then?

I would look a bit odd in any amount of makeup......will guyliner do?

Air con in the car is a necessity but to be honest i think your biggest shock will be your first Aussie winter !!! lol, OMG no-one told me it got so nippy,lol, it well and truely knocked my rose tinted glasses off, i froze !!! lol

I could handle the heat every day ,but no way could i handle the cold mornings and evenings all year round..

Cal x

I'm not surprised to hear this! I was amazed at how cool it was in Spring - I had to wear a jumper or jacket quite a few times, and take an umbrella. I still love ribbing my husband about this when he goes on about the Aussie sunshine! :-)

Don't wear make up, someone posted on here that her make up ran down her face everyday in summer, why she kept putting it on i don't know, lol, but you have been warned.

Ha! Thanks. Didn't really think of that, but luckily I only wear mascara and a bit of eyeliner. Guess the eyeliner will have to go though...

I found the Gold Coast Summer ok actually, enough places are air conditioned and we still did a lot of outdoor stuff. The key is to dress sensibly, wear a LOT of suncream, and drink a lot of water. I found it bearable once you get used to it; the heat isn't the killer, it's the humidity. ;)

My first was in Sydney when I was 21 and it was fine. No access to air-con at home but did at work and shops.

My second was backpacking around - Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and it got to about 42C in Adelaide. No access to air-con except in shops. Was fine though as I wasn't in a rush.

We live in Brisbane now and I think it might be worse doing the school run etc in the heat. Everyone has told me that I'll be using the car for it so we'll see. Saying that everyone uses the car for the school run in any weather even if they live 2 streets away (and that is not a joke).

My sons school has a lot of surrounding students walking to school these days...you could try and get your school involved in the excellent council active travel program in term 3 maybe to help boost the numbers in your area: http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/traffic-transport/public-transport/school-transport/active-school-travel/index.htm

Im an Aussie have been living here for 13 years. When I went home a few years ago I did a walk from my parents house to the local supermarket where I used to walk, a walk I had done thousands of times before. When I go there I nearly died! I had to get someone to go and get me a bottle of water! I am way too used to the weather here now but we will be moving in July so Aussie 'winter' so we should be able to heat up as the weather does. Air con is a must and I remember having a shower and hair drying my hair and then straightening it and thinking I need another shower now as it was so hot and the hair dryer was making me sweat!

Summer wasnt, as we knew from research that where we were heading it could get to 42c, but it was the winter that was the shocker. People would be saying its cold and I would thik Yeah right how can it be cold but it went down to 1c and there was frost on the car windows. The houses are so big here and they get really cold, I had to open the windows to let the warmth in!

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I think it will definately be a shock to my system when i experience my first summer in Austalia, seeing how we haven't had a summer in the UK since 1976.

I seem to remember writing something a while back about makeup sliding off my face in Queensland. And I kept applying it, Mr Hoff, as a public service :mad:

But here's a tip for the ladies (and metrosexual gentlemen) - I eventually cottoned on to the joys of mineral powder which is a much less slidey affair. And then I had the good sense to move to Melbourne where the humidity is a distant memory.

We found the main survival strategy for Queensland summers was to change the order of our day. On weekends in England we would have a good lie in and then head out late morning. In Qld you need to get going early and then head back inside to get away from the midday heat. It's a different rhythm.

I think it will definately be a shock to my system when i experience my first summer in Austalia, seeing how we haven't had a summer in the UK since 1976.

arrrrrr yes........sticky blacktop, ford cortinas, feather cut hair, tank tops, bell bottoms, spoon shoes and a paisly shirt. My mum had a wicked sense of humour in 1976.

Archived