Was your first Aussie summer a shock to the system?!

VicsBM

No problem with the summers, but then we do live in Melbourne:wink:

The winters have been a shock!

I have never been so cold as I was my first winter, we were living in a weather board so the chilly wind whistled up through the floorboards and rattled the windows.

I swear it was colder inside than out, I would bundle up, walk outside and remove several layers!

Then we moved to a brand new home, open plan, tiled floors big windows covered by blinds - freezing in winter !

Anything below 20 and the heating is on, woolly jumpers, fluffy slippers and snuggled under a throw !!

Having said that, it is really just the evenings that I feel it, day time, layers to pull on or off are the go.

My Aussie husband keeps saying I'm going to find it very different at first, and smiling in a 'you wait and see' way.

Is it bearable or horrendous? Will I be leaping into shady spots and air-conditioned buildings, whilst eating ice cubes?!

I've been a couple of times before, but in the Spring, which was fine... We will be in Queensland, Sunshine Coast.

How did you cope, first time round?

Cheers for any tips! :smile:

I went in January, and it rained persistently, the humidity is something you need to adjust to, after coming from the UK where it was our winter to the summer of Queensland, what did I expect!! My only warning to you is that if you are like me and love your GHD's get used to your hair remaining curly. My husband as never seen me with my real wavy curly hair but he loved it LOL!!!! :jiggy:

Jon's coped pretty well so far - but we're in Melbourne :)

What does make him smile (usually in confusion) is how much the weather varies! He never used to believe me that the Crowded House song (4 seasons in one day) was written about Melbourne and wasn't an exaggeration.

Now he does :) And he has also started to pick when a hailstorm is coming.

He has been generally impressed with how accurate the weather forecast GENERALLY is :)

Jon's coped pretty well so far - but we're in Melbourne :)

What does make him smile (usually in confusion) is how much the weather varies! He never used to believe me that the Crowded House song (4 seasons in one day) was written about Melbourne and wasn't an exaggeration.

Now he does :) And he has also started to pick when a hailstorm is coming.

He has been generally impressed with how accurate the weather forecast GENERALLY is :)

It sure gets cold in your neck of the woods in July. We loved the diversity in Melbourne. Stayed at the Batmans Hotel. Wife loved the shopping. Went up to Snowy Mountains too. Fantastic.

I didnt know that Four Seasons In One day was about Melbourne either. Listened to Crowded House for years too. Learn something new every day.

Archived