Demerit points

Guest guest17301

I was caught speeding within 20 minutes of arriving , have been caught once since.

I take more care of the limits these days!

We had only been in the hire car 5 minutes before we got flashed. We actually managed to go through a red light. It was 2.00 in the morning, 4 kids in tow, loaded down with all our luggage. New car, new roads and trying to follow directions to rental after long flight. We were turning right and didn't realise we had to wait for the filter light to change. Next thing we know we had been flashed. The car hire company have already sent a 30 dollar fine to release our name to the police. Just waiting for the fine. It was bank holiday weekend so will the fine be twice as much? What will happen to the points? We are emigrating there next year? Do you think points within the first 5 minutes is a record ? It was a terrible start to what was a great holiday.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW I have a completely clean licence in the UK, I don't make a habit of running red lights. I saw the lights go green and went, without realising I couldn't turn right. I didn't realise how much Australians love their filter lights.

I managed $700 + in fines over 2 years... they would wait at the bottom of this steep hill, automatic car just crept over the limit by a few Ks and it was 1-0 to the cops... :( also been done by the mobile vans..... here in UK you can go 10 -15 MPH over the fixed ones, in oz it seems 5 kph over and its a nice tidy fine for ya....

Just got my first speeding fine after 30 years driving. Not a happy bunny. I thought the cameras at traffic lights just flashed if you went through a red light but its for speeding too, as I found out when I got the fine today, $75 but no demerit points, I think. I still have my irish licence, when I got the australian one last year I thought they might take it but they didn't, so when I go back in July, I'll just continue using the Irish one. The continuous change in speed limits drives me mad - 80km then 70km then back to 80km and down to 60km, all on the same road and within a few miles - why don't they just make up their minds. I use cruise control as well, I love it, but didn't have it on when I got the speeding ticket.

Just got my first speeding fine after 30 years driving. Not a happy bunny. I thought the cameras at traffic lights just flashed if you went through a red light but its for speeding too, as I found out when I got the fine today, $75 but no demerit points, I think. I still have my irish licence, when I got the australian one last year I thought they might take it but they didn't, so when I go back in July, I'll just continue using the Irish one. The continuous change in speed limits drives me mad - 80km then 70km then back to 80km and down to 60km, all on the same road and within a few miles - why don't they just make up their minds. I use cruise control as well, I love it, but didn't have it on when I got the speeding ticket.

From what I gather, the points are against your name and not your license. So, having an Irish & WA license doesn't add any advantage.

Yeah but its 50kph here in built up area which is less than 30mph isnt it? 70 or 80kph roads are equivalent of dual carriageways which were always 70mph weren't they...I cant remember now. I do remember the irish plod who gave me my 1st ticket told me the speeds were too slow here though!

50ks is 31 mph. When you compare the speed limits there is not a great deal of difference really. 80ks is 50mph and 110ks is 68 mph.

Agree that the cops in Aus are everywhere to get you speeding but if you don't speed then you won't get a ticket, that's my thinking anyway. Drove in Aus for about 11-12 years and got done 3 times speeding, once by a cop and twice by cameras. Have driven for 5 years in the UK, and touch wood not been caught yet

If you have an Aussie licence and produce a UK or Irish one later , you can expect a fine for that too or at least a good rolloking if the cops in a decent mood.

Cal x

Well I have been driving for 27 years in this country and in the UK and have never got a speeding fine or even a parking ticket, completely clean licence. But I would have to agree, that the speed limits can be confusing. The freeway closest to us has the speed camera's on them regularly and people (including my OH) get caught out all the time, that said though if your not speeding you wont get caught out! I find it the most difficult in the 40 zones around the schools, HUUUUGE open roads and to try and keep the car under 40 is a nightmare. Our speedo on our car is approxiamatly 10k slower than the car is actually doing, my OH takes that into account so goes 10k faster, I dont so thats probably why I dont exceed the limit.

I can see two points - firstly, its the law, secondly, you will use significantly less fuel. :GEEK:

The Speed limits in WA are doing my nut. I cannot see the point of driving 90kph on the Mitchell freeway, its a Freeway for goodness sake surely it should be in the 120 range. Living / Driving in WA with out getting fined is going to be tough.

The Speed limits in WA are doing my nut. I cannot see the point of driving 90kph on the Mitchell freeway, its a Freeway for goodness sake surely it should be in the 120 range. Living / Driving in WA with out getting fined is going to be tough.

The freeway is 100k's until you get close to the city then it drops to 80. When you get to Safety Bay road, it increases to 110k's.

Guest guest17301

Have driven really, really carefully all day...huge effort...quite tiring concentrating on keeping under the limit and constantly looking for speed signs....I am trying really hard to change my driving style now.

Guest guest17301

So intimidating when cars tailgating you....I must stick to my guns though can't afford not too! Need my license for my living!

Its bloomin hard work with a car up your ar*e and others cutting in front from the left and the right, and the the limits are 60,70,80,90,100,110 thats a lot of variables not seen 120 yet is that here?

I think NT is the only state or territory with default speeds over 110 now but even then I think the top speed is only 130. Way too slow when you have a big distance to cover IMO.

In fairness the max speed the UK ever gets to is 70mph which is just over 110kph

The difference is that the cops in the UK don't seem to give a monkey's if you're doing up to 80-85mph. You have to keep your eye out for cameras but at least the fixed ones are very visible (yellow) and they still give you a bit of leeway over the limit - about 10%

I've only ever been done for speeding once in the UK, by an unmarked car, who booked me for 90mph on a 70mph dual carriageway. The fact I'd been overtaking on the inside at up to 110mph shortly beforehand (on a motorbike) and he made it clear he'd seen that but wasn't going to do me for it made me quite happy to take a small 3 points and 60 quid slap on the wrist. Enforcement here is, I believe, errr, *slightly* more strenuous...... ;-)

I thought the way to avoid fines and demerits was to walk and take public transport....

.... Until I got busted for jaywalking last week.

At least I didn't tell the policeman what I thought of him as that is a $230 on the spot fine.

I thought the way to avoid fines and demerits was to walk and take public transport....

.... Until I got busted for jaywalking last week.

At least I didn't tell the policeman what I thought of him as that is a $230 on the spot fine.

Can't stand jaywalking laws, and the enforcement of them is even worse

A sure sign of a jurisdiction that has policing priorities all wrong

• 4 weeks later...

Been driving 20years in the uk/Europe no speeding fines or points. Just been here 6months and I get a fine plus one demerits point for doing 105 in a 100 zone which happened to be a not so busy 4 lane tollway (city link in Melbourne )!!!!!!

I am still on my UK license (been here over 3 years, we were on a 457, just got PR last month so I have a few weeks to sort it out), but I have never had a fine for anything. However, I have been known to speed. There are a couple of roads locally which I drive on regularly, which are 70kph limits, that I am sure would have been 60mph limits in the UK. They are straight, easy roads to drive on. I do try to stick to 70, but as someone else said with the hills it can be quite difficult! On the couple of occasions when I have definitely been speeding and could have been caught, someone has flashed me to warn me that there are police ahead. People do that quite a lot around here. I have tried to use the cruise control in my car, particularly in the 40kph zones around schools, but I can't work out how to use it, no matter how many times I am shown!

OH has three points for speeding, and he got a letter in the post about going through a red light and was told that if he did it again he would be given three more points and a fine.