Demerit points

Guest guest17301

Guest guest17301

What do people think of the demerit points system here in Australia? I've managed to rack up more than my fair share of points in 3 years, I only got 1 speeding fine in the UK. I feel that the speed limits here are too slow and that the system (double demerits on holidays) is unfair. I think it's too easy to get points when otherwise you're a good safe driver. What do others think and how many points do you have:unsure: (trying to make myself feel better here)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guest17301

What gets me is that I can drive within the limits (as I do mostly) all day then one tiny lapse in concentration and I've had it! They're everywhere! Does my head in...

Guest Guest16631

..............clock in my car slow by 10 minutes.............59 in a 40 school zone......Thought it was 5 50 actually 6.00am.....:embarrassed:

............driving home late at night ........truck so close he could see the hairs on the back of my neck...:shocked:..............blinding flash that was not a genie in a lamp...........80 in a 70 zone..........:embarrassed:

.................failure to stop at RBT....................never saw him I promise.............:embarrassed:..fiddling with radio..........warning for that one...........think he was stumped for words.............stopped further up road....!

..................not sure how many points I started with................have mislaid my license .............it's somewhere in my handbag...............have to produce it next week..........:shocked:........didn't have it on me at last misdemeanour............still fastening seatbelt when leaving car park.........:embarrassed:......warning and asked to produce license...........:wideeyed:..........still looking for it..............!...............

I am really, really good at spotting mobile speed cameras and my car navigation warns me about fixed ones (love it).

I know they say it is all about safety but I think it is at least 50% revenue raising.

Most definately, they hide in areas where there is never any accidents, a nice clear stretch of road, and they say it's all about saving lives, ppfftt

..............clock in my car slow by 10 minutes.............59 in a 40 school zone......Thought it was 5 50 actually 6.00am.....:embarrassed:

............driving home late at night ........truck so close he could see the hairs on the back of my neck...:shocked:..............blinding flash that was not a genie in a lamp...........80 in a 70 zone..........:embarrassed:

.................failure to stop at RBT....................never saw him I promise.............:embarrassed:..fiddling with radio..........warning for that one...........think he was stumped for words.............stopped further up road....!

..................not sure how many points I started with................have mislaid my license .............it's somewhere in my handbag...............have to produce it next week..........:shocked:........didn't have it on me at last misdemeanour............still fastening seatbelt when leaving car park.........:embarrassed:......warning and asked to produce license...........:wideeyed:..........still looking for it..............!...............

Love it Tink - you always make me laugh. You really do need to write a book.

Guest JK2510

I have a full 12 pts...no speeding fines yet....much to OHs and friends shock!

OH has had 3 speeding fines but no demerits!

One parking fine,one offence for weeing in a train station car park and got breathalized 2 weeks ago! OMG what a naughty boy he is!

The speeds are too slow and the buggers hide in bushes!

I have only just started driving here so nothing yet.

I haven't got a "feel" for the kilometre speeds yet. In England I could almost always know my speed within one or two mph without looking. I keep thinking 60 means mph.

One thing im dreading , i have only been drivin for a short while , so when i change my license to an aussie one i have to have the P sign in my car :S if i get 4 points i have my license taken away from me and would have to resit for my license too :eek: same for the hubby :dull: so if you you are behind a real slow car in Perth its me lol

I have been here nearly two years. I have yet to lose any points though I commute on the train to work, and at the weekend I drive a 32 year old Volvo that would struggle to break any speed limit, even on a downhill gradient in a 40 zone with a following wind and the correct gravitational alignment of Sun and Moon.

Nonetheless, there are speed limits for a reason, just as there are Stop signs and red lights. Disobey them at your, and others, peril. :policeman:

(Though the real purpose of demerits is ably demonstrated by the introduction of the 13th point, just so they can get you for one last fine before you lose your licence - a bit cynical really).

Not been caught or flashed, not seen a lot of speed traps in Sydney tbh. Perhaps NSW dibble have their hand full trying to stop bikie gangs blowing each other away :D

Mind you, I'm still on a UK licence and intend to keep it that way. No demerit points for me...... ;-)

I commute on the train now it's winter too (well, run in 2 or 3 times a week but apart from that). I suspect I use the same station as fleabo. Must keep my eyes peeled for a bloke with paint spatters on his clothes

Guest AKA63029
I have been here nearly two years. I have yet to lose any points though I commute on the train to work, and at the weekend I drive a 32 year old Volvo that would struggle to break any speed limit, even on a downhill gradient in a 40 zone with a following wind and the correct gravitational alignment of Sun and Moon.

Nonetheless, there are speed limits for a reason, just as there are Stop signs and red lights. Disobey them at your, and others, peril. :policeman:

(Though the real purpose of demerits is ably demonstrated by the introduction of the 13th point, just so they can get you for one last fine before you lose your licence - a bit cynical really).

I bet you get caught when Bunnings have their paint deals on though Flea.:wubclub:

Sh*t man - you can go wasting the stuff on paint spatters!

Not been caught or flashed, not seen a lot of speed traps in Sydney tbh. Perhaps NSW dibble have their hand full trying to stop bikie gangs blowing each other away :D

Mind you, I'm still on a UK licence and intend to keep it that way. No demerit points for me...... ;-)

I commute on the train now it's winter too (well, run in 2 or 3 times a week but apart from that). I suspect I use the same station as fleabo. Must keep my eyes peeled for a bloke with paint spatters on his clothes

Guest guest17301
Sorry for this but I have had 12 points for nearly 9 years :angel_happy_face_ha lol

Laney xx

You're supposed to be making me feel better!!! Can't you make something up??:tongue:

Just back from a reccie in Perth...Never seen so many bad drivers in the one place!

Tail gateing seems to be a national sport...Passed six cars after rear ending & 200mtrs up the road another two.

Cops pulling in cars every 5 minutes.