Is it really a better life living in Oz than the UK????

vikkeytymo

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Were looking at Joondalup? Do you know it? I will be working as a hairdresser and my husband will be a chef, we have 4 kids all of school age. Do you know what things we need to take into consideration? like paying for schooling, health care etc.....We really want to make the move but as you are aware its a massive jump x

IMO yep, definitely worth it!

My wife and I spent almost 5 years living in a neutral country before moving to her home town in Oz. She had her ups and downs, partiularly during the last 3 years as she started to miss home and her friends and family (the first couple of years it was all OK as everything was new and it was like being on a permanent holiday, but then reality set in).

I on the other hand am a bit of a gypsy and, as the song goes, where ever I lay my hat, thats my home, so I haven't ever had a problem with moving, irrespective of where the location has been or how far away from friends and family I've been. It's not that I'm a cold person, it's just the way I'm set up and I am in regular contact (generally weekly) with a couple of good friends and close familiy (via skype).

At the end of the day it will depend on the particular person and how they are able to cope with the move and lack of their friends and family being close by.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do!

Research research research! That's the key and once you have then decide.

Not to put a downer on your plans but I read on this site of a chef returning to uk as the wages for that profession were not good!

But I only read that and have no inside knowledge.

Good luck in your plans

Cant comment on Joondalup or schooling. Regarding healthcare, if you are on a visa (temp or permanent) you can sign up to Medicare, which is a bit like the NHS. If you want private healthcare, you have to pay for it (it's not like the UK whereby companies often provide this as part of the package). For info, for high end private healtcare just for the wife it costs us around $120 per month.

It's a different life and the differences are not always what you expect. The weather, food, housing is stuff you get used to very quickly. IMO it's the difference in social attitudes that takes much more getting used to. As for whether it is a better life, it is a matter of preference. Some people are convinced it is; others can't wait to leave.

Better weather and certainly better for the kids as its a place where they have a future.

Family, friends and familiarity are the big ones you'll miss.

But if you are "the have a go types" you'll do well and have a very different lifestyle.

I wouldn't consider returning.

"Better for the kids" is an oft trotted out statement but I don't think Australia is particularly better for kids. Plenty of kids do well in the UK and plenty of kids do badly in Australia. From what I have seen of the education system here it is far from impressive.

If your extended family are a big part of your and your childrens life then no it will not be better for them or you. Children can do well in either country if they have good parents behind them. You must realise it is not cheap to come to Australia, you have to pay for a lot of things you take for granted in the uk, like doctors, dentists, scripts, schooling,text books etc etc because you have four children I would recommend to you do your research, you are setting up a whole new life ie home, cars, schooling, jobs. If you are cashed up that helps alot, but once you start struggling financially all the sunshine in the world added to that you are far away from family without having money to go back for trips can seem even bleaker. so first check out what your two jobs will bring in for you weekly look on seek.com.au this is a job website, look on realestate.com.au to see when rents you will be paying look on this site to get an idea of houses if you wish to buy one. look on coles.com.au or woolworths.com.au to get an idea or grocery costs check out the schools for cost of school fees ring them ask them to give you an idea of text books for the kids or numbers you can ring to find out costs and for uniforms as well. The more research you do the better because at the end of the day with four kids you need to be able to afford to live here.

Guest HeywoodMonkey

I really miss nipping down to my local and having one or two pints of Stella with my mates. Sure I could have a "pot" or a "schooner" ( bit too gay for my liking I need a PINT ) of Stella over here but have you seen the price of it in Oz ? I can only afford one mortgage lol

Hi

We came out here (Perth) to try and giveour daughter and future children something better. We're only four months in and I am desperate to go home, in the last two months particularly I have thought long and hard about the Australia/UK thing and realised that although Perth is beautiful, has gorgeous weather and I have found there's a lot more respect here, even from teenagers that family is very important to us.

I haven't even left a big family behind but I've left a family that want to spend time with us, make my daughter feel like she's the most important person in their world and I've realised that as much as we need them, they need us. Most recently my MIL has gone through a tough time and not being there for her has made us feel useless. Our family send parcels of gifts regularly and this shows how desperate they are to keep the strong bond. Additionally over Easter my three year old received three Easter eggs!! I found this quite sad, thankfully she won the playgroup raffle and had a whole bag full of eggs but it did make me realise what we have taken her away from.

Also, before coming here I would have argued that children, particularly those under school age are particularly resilient and will adapt easily to their new life. However I really believe the move here has had a profound effect on my daughter. Not only has she gone from receiving five half days education in the UK to NOTHING here, she seems confused about the family situation. She has started to refer to her Nanny as her 'old nanny', as though she won't see her again. I do wonder what confusion we have caused her.

I wish I could make Australia my home, my children's future because it is 'nicer' than the UK right now, but sadly I feel the pros of the UK outweigh the pros of Australia. And finally, before we came here my husband and I read on here about how the move had split families up, fortunately we are a very strong family unit and compromises will be made but as he longs to stay here and I want to return I can see the pressure it can put on a family unit. I researched our move for years, including a visit here but until you're here living, breathing and feeling it, it is impossible to truly understand how you'll feel.

I wish you lots of luck and you make the right decision for your family :-)

Better lifestyle ? Depends on what you are looking for. And only you can be the judge of that.<br><br>Different lifestyle yes.<br><br><br>But I would say you have only one life, and should explore as much of it as you can.

On the comment about it being better for kids, in my own experience I would say not. The schooling is no where near as good as the schools we had in the uk . Where I am kids don't seem to play out as much and I have found that my kids have been bored and stay in alot. That might be due to where we are and other , I'm sure , will tell you opposite.

Guest Guest66881

When i was a kid in the mid 70's all i remember is long hot summers and good times, i want that for my kids now here.

And we are all happier for the move, schooling is a new venture for the younger ones, but one they have already taken to thankfully.

Not better ... just different. Like Paul, I do feel that my children are having the opportunity to experience a more laid back childhood. My son (12) is out most of the time, he's been on the phone to his mates and they're all meeting up at the BMX/Skate park this afternoon. Schooling has been different, not worse, but it's new systems for us as parents to learn particulalry for years 11 and 12 (my daughter is in her last year of HS) and getting our heads around the exam/subject choice system.

Our gains have been that we do seem to spend more time together as a family outside work - relaxed evenings, particularly at weekends and in summer we eat outside and end up chatting for hours as a family. My daughter who was 11 when we arrived, has commented that she's been glad to have had her teenage years here in Australia/Perth ... as a parent .. what better endorsement that our move has been worthwhile?

On the comment about it being better for kids, in my own experience I would say not. The schooling is no where near as good as the schools we had in the uk . Where I am kids don't seem to play out as much and I have found that my kids have been bored and stay in alot. That might be due to where we are and other , I'm sure , will tell you opposite.

But no offense mean't here - you guys were planning a move back to the UK after less than four months. Your exposure is limited..

Our kids would turn to stone if they ever saw sunshine. They only want to stay indoors, playing computer games whilst skyping their friends who do the same. Besides which, they will say that outside it is either too hot (occasionally) or too wet (mostly).

I know some people do well through Australian education - going on to become doctors, scientists, etc. But it is also worth noting that Australia relies heavily on migrants for some of these roles. What I see is a fragmented curriculum; heavy reliance on group work; and as many opportunities to pass exams as it takes. I seldom see the kids doing real homework - and the homework they do seems to require very little writing, paper or computer time.

Archived