Holidays you've been on whilst in Australia

bungeeman

Hi all!

Just curious as to who's taken a holiday since emigrating to Oz and where did you go and why??

Although we're not looking to go away as soon as we arrive- there's far too much exploring to do_ I was just interested as theres some very exotic and exciting places both in and out of Australia!

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We haven't emigrated yet, but we spent a month on the Gold coast at surfers paradise and it was fantastic, the warm sea, surf and fabulous weather reminded me of Florida, with the great theme parks and there was loads to do, our kids loved it.

Hi all!

Just curious as to who's taken a holiday since emigrating to Oz and where did you go and why??

Although we're not looking to go away as soon as we arrive- there's far too much exploring to do_ I was just interested as theres some very exotic and exciting places both in and out of Australia!

Mate, it has been one very long and exciting 'exploration adventure holiday' for this old black duck since I landed in Smellbum on the 17th Sept 1963.

Cheers, Bobj.

Bush camping in WA, from Perth all the way up to Darwin was unbeatable. I've travelled all over Europe, and most of the rest of Australia (everywhere apart from the very top of East coast) and never saw anything more beautiful than what i saw there. Swimming in waterfalls, amazing sunsets, and bush camping was a special experience within its self, very different to 'normal' camping... all the Australian wildlife you see in the wildlife parks, well you can expect to see it all in the wild there,

In Country ;

Road trip Sydney-Tweed Heads.Taking in all the touristy bits.

Road trip Sydney -Darwin.Awesome.

Explored lots of NSW.Victoria,NT

Went to Vietnam for New Year,off to Bali in June.

Later today Im off to Brisbane for a week to stay with an awesome guy ( Kev ) my second visit in 3 months.

Got back from a weekend in Jabiru last night.( Kakadu National Park )

Spent 10 days between Cairns and Cape Trib (Far North Qld) last year. Did a couple of Barrier Reef trips...amazing!

Also spent a few days on Fraser Island in the New Year, camped on the beach.....awesome experience, planning on taking the inlaws next year when they visit.

So much to see and do!

We are still exploring NSW. We are thinking of buying an old 4x4 and kitting it out, then taking the girls out of school/preschool and heading off for a couple of months at some point. So many places I would like to see.

We are still exploring NSW. We are thinking of buying an old 4x4 and kitting it out, then taking the girls out of school/preschool and heading off for a couple of months at some point. So many places I would like to see.

A 4x4 opens up so many places you just can't get to in a normal car. If you have little ones a great place to go on the NSW South Coast is Bendethera (spelling?) Valley. We used to take our kids camping here and they loved it. They ran riot and still talk about our trips there even though they are adults now.

We still go there and it is still lovely - hasn't really changed. You can have camp fires etc which is great (I love a good camp fire).

This link tells you about it.

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/nationalparks/parkCamping.aspx?id=N0047

We unfortunately haven't been out of Sydney much in 4 years as it's been a struggle to say the least however....................We have made a point of doing a few Sydney "touristy" things, slept overnight at Taronga Zoo, been on a mini cruise to "Nowhere" (4nights) Been to "Blowhole" at Kiama, camping at Umina, stayed in the City a few times and seen Shows, Luna Park, mini break to Coffs Harbour AND the best of all............For our Anniversary went to a private island in The Whitsundays for 5 nights and Airlie Beach for 4.............Beautiful part of Australia...........made me think I should have emigrated to Queensland instead lol................Also hoping to do a mini roadtrip before we leave heading up to Cairns..........there is so much to see here BUT I'm grateful for what we have managed to do so far...........awesome memories!

A 4x4 opens up so many places you just can't get to in a normal car. If you have little ones a great place to go on the NSW South Coast is Bendethera (spelling?) Valley. We used to take our kids camping here and they loved it. They ran riot and still talk about our trips there even though they are adults now.

We still go there and it is still lovely - hasn't really changed. You can have camp fires etc which is great (I love a good camp fire).

This link tells you about it.

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/nationalparks/parkCamping.aspx?id=N0047

Thank you for the info! We are off to Bathurst at the weekend to stay on a farm which should be good, and is somewhere that we haven't been yet. We will go to the Jenolan caves and maybe the Abercrombie ones, might take a drive up to Dubbo at some point during the week to look at the zoo too. The girls are beyond excited!

We only arrived in Perth last September, and have had two lots of visitors already, so not a lot of time for holidays yet. However, we have just come back from a trip to Alice Springs and Ayers Rock. It was amazing, has to be done.

Me the wife and kids went over to Queensland a few years ago. The kids were 14 and 9 at the time, so loved the theme parks. We had pretty wet weather when we were there. I think we had about 3 nice days in about 2 weeks. You don't mind it so much when you know you are coming home to good weather though.

My eldest and me loved the surfing over there and that doesn't really get spoiled by the weather. The sea was still warm too so it didn't stop us going in and just messing around catching small waves with my youngest.

My wife booked apartments in surfers over the net and they were almost brand new and 5 min walk to the beach. There is so much competition and apartment availability over there the prices are great. We then had a couple of weeks on the sunshine coast. Based ourselves in Coloundra in another fantastic apartment complex, right next to the beach. Travelled up as far as Noosa and every place we stopped at we loved. Would have liked a bit longer time in Noosa as it was one of the days when we had decent weather.

Also travelled down to Byron Bay for the day and loved it there too.

Had quite a few holidays down the South West of WA and loved every one. One of my favourite places is Denmark. It's a small quite country town but has one of the best beaches for learning to surf in WA. A lot bigger waves down there but a safe sandy bottomed beach. It's about a 4 Hr drive from Perth though, so a bit much for a weekend trip. Margaret River wine region and Yallingup are great areas too. Camping down there is amazing.

There are so many places to see and things to do, just in WA, that we will never get round to all of them in a lifetime.

Didn't do anything that incurred "going away" for the first 12 yrs as there is so much to see and do within 100ks of brizzy, particulalry if you boat/camp. Spent many, many long weekends on Crusoe Island (Gold Coast) "roughing it" and also on north Stradbroke and Moreton Island/s. Also many long weekends just over the border right on the banks of the tweed river at hacienda caravan park and a couple of fortnightly stays there............less than an hour to Nimbin and Byron and the countryside and coast between.

Recently we've road tripped to Airlie Beach stopping off along the way and visited the GBR when we got there. A few fishing holiday visits to woodgate and Burrum heads. Road tripped to Sydney and the Blue mountains and spots along the way, and the best of all (for me)..............two weeks touring Tazzy

Got another "adventure" planned for September: Mackay to Richmond, Qld, fossicking for 100 myo fossils, then to Kununurra, the Ord River in WA and the Keep River, NT. for barramundi fishing. After that it's off to the NT desert 170 km NE of The Alice, fossicking for aquamarines, garnets and any good mineral specimens. About 8,000 km return drive. And camping Bobj style...icon14.png

Cheers, Bobj.

Got another "adventure" planned for September: Mackay to Richmond, Qld, fossicking for 100 myo fossils, then to Kununurra, the Ord River in WA and the Keep River, NT. for barramundi fishing. After that it's off to the NT desert 170 km NE of The Alice, fossicking for aquamarines, garnets and any good mineral specimens. About 8,000 km return drive. And camping Bobj style...icon14.png

Cheers, Bobj.

You are a lucky man...I envy your lifestyle!

Might look at gum tree. I've seen more than a few kitted out 4X4s for sale there cheap. Looks like folks that came over, did their adventure and are off loading the vehicle and gear to head home.

You could always try Skiing in Thredbo! We went last June it was fab, blue skys, red gums and parrots, one of the (many) joys of living in Canberra is the slopes are only 3 hours away so you can go skiing for the day!

But as everyone says there is so much to do and quite a lot of it is just around the corner (although i really do need to persuade Mrs Family Anderson that she really would like camping!!)

You could always try Skiing in Thredbo! We went last June it was fab, blue skys, red gums and parrots, one of the (many) joys of living in Canberra is the slopes are only 3 hours away so you can go skiing for the day!

But as everyone says there is so much to do and quite a lot of it is just around the corner (although i really do need to persuade Mrs Family Anderson that she really would like camping!!)

Gotta agree with that, mate.

2010Trip001-1.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

Might look at gum tree. I've seen more than a few kitted out 4X4s for sale there cheap. Looks like folks that came over, did their adventure and are off loading the vehicle and gear to head home.

Thank you for the tip. I hadn't thought of looking there.

In Australia:

Whitsundays - has to be experienced and it can be done on a budget

Esperance - absolutely amazing; some of the most stunning beaches I've ever seen

Port Douglas - tropical heaven!

Uluru - I don't think it needs any comment!

Outside of Australia:

Bali - it might be bogan-central but I LOVED it!!! Going back again in May.

We also have a trip planned to Thailand at the end of the year

Archived