redbacks!!!!!

jacquena

hi so i know this is going to sound really silly but the major thing i am worried about is the redbacks in the garden as i have 2 young children aged 3 and 5!

i know you get huntsman in the house but they dont hurt you do they?

do these redbacks offten hurt people? if the kids played outside in bare feet would they be likely to tread on them or things like that?:frown:

since l moved here 4 years ago l can honestly say l have only seen one when we were renting and l had 2 when we moved into our own home which had been empty about 6 months... they dont make big swinging webs like the black widow in africa and like to dive into holes... so l would probably do a scout of play equipment and that has been left outside and not played with for a while... they don't seem to like being in area's that get disturbed often and if its any help they are quite vunerable to the daddy long leg spiders that like to eat them so l am told. and if all else fails... a good swish of fly spray works.. kids more than likely wont stand on them...

Guest The Pom Queen

Quite funny I had never seen a red back in all my years here then one year we were plagued with them on the garage door, there must have been 20, they didn't bother me one bit. You would be extremely unlucky to be bit by one as they don't usually come out of their webs and also it's only the female that has a wide enough jaw to penetrate the skin and even then they don't usually have the power in that second of contact. In all of Australia's history there have only ever been 14 recorded deaths. You will find that some of these will have had an allergic reaction very much like a bee sting.

Hi:smile:..yes you do get redbacks in Perth...usually around garden furniture, play equipment and cracks & crevices..i lived there for many years as a child and as an adult..my three brothers live there with their families and none of them have ever been bitten..ironically my hubbie did when he worked there for the first time at a removal company, but i hasten to add he put his hand where he shouldn't have..he was given medication & they lanced it as it swelled, but apart from that he was ok..i can understand you worrying about your children, but from what i know there has not been a death since the 50's & they can give an antidote..but in the 40 odd years myself and my family have lived there, there have been no children bitten..once you live there you wont even think about it & as every parent would, you can teach your children about this sort of safety to a certain extent...

Guest Matthew88

Hi,

from my own initial research they are not a particularly aggressive spiders and kind of keep them selves to them selves. Just do what the ozzys do and get into the routine of shaking everything before you put it on! especially shoes and things!

They like plastic!! don't know if its because the sun heats plastic up nicely, but last time we were over, my brother in law called me over and said "come and look at this" he then proceeded to spray the underneath of the plastic table under the covered verandah with Mortein (where we had been eating for the past 3 weeks) and low and behold 4 redbacks dropped out from underneath and slowly crawled off to their deaths!!

They are there, but don't fear, you're too big for them to want to eat you!! They do pretty much keep themselves to themselves.

And if all else fails, MORTEIN EVERYTHING!!!!!

But lets be honest, I'd rather have spiders than those pesky flies that dive bomb you for hours on end!!

Guest robnnic

You see, i have this problem where i am petrified of spiders. I know we need to educate the kids, but i can't bring myself to look at the pictures myself. We have black bath towels at the minute, and i realised we couldn't bring these over as the spiders could be hiding...my husband laughed at me. But these are the things that are keeping me awake all night! I try and give myself a reality check and realise that these spiders don't actually coming running after humans....we were there for a month and didnt even see one!

Ps is mortein the stuff you get your house sprayed with? are there companies that do this?????

Redbacks usually not a problem - they like woodpiles, outside dunnies (hence the iconic Australian song), garden furniture etc, but you would be wise not to leave boots and shoes outside (and gardening gloves) but if you do, either shake out the shoes/boots and stamp on the gardening gloves. Dont know if Perth gets white tails but they do go into the house, not particularly big and can leave a nasty bite (not fatal). But get your house bombed and you should be fine for spiders, cockroaches and ants for a while.

we have five children and are in Perth, and tbh we do get lots of redbacks even though it was sprayed only weeks ago (that im not too happy about) ,only yesterday i killed two , one under the boys bike seat (a great place for them )and one in the bore water well that was big , but as someone said they would rather run than bite .......and in five yrs ive only seen two in the house probs from the air con or washing ........

I know how you feel, I was paranoid of spiders when I lived there. Our garage was full of redbacks, it would frighten me to death, so much that I refused to go in there. They loved the dark and all the junk that was stored in there. I was told that if we got it fumigated that would kill the spiders but not the eggs, we would have to clear out the whole garage and start again :( - seeing as it was full of my ex's stuff I just left it, and it stayed that way until we left the country. Fortunately it was at the end of the garden away from the house, I just stayed clear of it.

I also found redbacks in our garden furniture, quite a lot came out of the umbrella and under the chairs and table when we went to use it after a while of not being disturbed.

I also found one in my letter box - soon sprayed that one off. Another came out of the water tap in the garden.

We also had the white tails in our home, even though it had been 'bombed' it didn't take long until they reappeared.

If I was you, as soon as you get somewhere to stay, pay for it to be fumigated (or whatever they call it), inside and outside on the decking etc, if you have the finance to spare, its worth to have this done.

After all that paranoia, when we got home I am no-where near as frightened of them as I was in AU, I am a lot braver now LOL

Ps is mortein the stuff you get your house sprayed with? are there companies that do this?????

Mortein is a brand of fly spray. Any fly spray will do the job for individual spiders.

We spray barrier spray around the doors a windows a couple of times a year as well as the outdoor furniture etc and don't have any problems. This is heaps cheaper than paying someone to do it for you and works really well.

Mortein is a brand of fly spray. Any fly spray will do the job for individual spiders.

We spray barrier spray around the doors a windows a couple of times a year as well as the outdoor furniture etc and don't have any problems. This is heaps cheaper than paying someone to do it for you and works really well.

I'm the same as you I find it heaps cheaper to spray every few months myself, inside and the outside patio areas, and I let off the bombs in the attic space. I never see spiders.

I'm the same as you I find it heaps cheaper to spray every few months myself, inside and the outside patio areas, and I let off the bombs in the attic space. I never see spiders.

thats great we will do that if we get across but what do you mean "i let off the bombs in the attic"

You can buy Bombs in the supermarket, about $11 for a pack of 3, they are an aerosol surface spraycan with a button that can be left open so it keeps spraying until empty, it kills all crawling insects. I open the manhole cover set the bomb then close it again, spiders love the heat in a roof cavity.

thats great we will do that if we get across but what do you mean "i let off the bombs in the attic"

Not sure Tisme is still on line but to answer your question the bomb are cans of spray that you set and forget for a few hours in enclosed spaces. Good for sheds, garage etc.

Did have a bit of a chuckle about what you thought the 'bomb' might be.

We get loads and loads and loads, mainly in the colorbond (metal) fencing. Ive sprayed and sprayed and sprayed and they are still there, they literally hide when you go out and mainly come out in the dark. I have one that lives somewhere in my washing line (which is metal!) Ive never had one in the house though, and like the others I use the bombs. Im afraid sometimes you just have to put up with these things to live in paradise, also all my friends have little kids and not one has ever been bitten, so try to get things into perspective, if only for the kids sake.:wubclub:

I've seen a couple. The last one I saw, my daughters happened to be around so I showed them what it looked like before I dispatched it to another life. That way they have seen the spider and the web, they have seen the sort of place that they like to hide and now they know what to look out for.

I used to be petrified of spiders, but I realised recently that they don't bother me any more. To the point that we were recently staying in a holiday house, I got up to go to the loo in the night and found a huge huntsman on the wall next to the toilet. I did my business and went back to bed without giving it another thought. Mind you, I had had a couple of glasses of wine so maybe it was Dutch courage!

You'll be okay. Redbacks live under rocks or piles of old wood. Never heard of redbacks in a house. Never heard of anyone being bitten by a redback. Probably an urban myth to frighten nervous poms.

I actually knew someone who got bitten by a redback whilst standing in the kitchen. It bit her on the neck so she thinks it must have crawled on her whilst she was outside. Also once when we had the BBQ going under the patio, one dropped out of the roof onto someone's back, must have got smoked out with the cooking.

hi so i know this is going to sound really silly but the major thing i am worried about is the redbacks in the garden as i have 2 young children aged 3 and 5!

i know you get huntsman in the house but they dont hurt you do they?

do these redbacks offten hurt people? if the kids played outside in bare feet would they be likely to tread on them or things like that?:frown:

We have loads of redbacks out in the garden, hiding under the patio table, behind the water hose, in the fence, not much inside, but we did find a redback in its web in our Xmas tree! Not sure whether it moved into the tree when it was stored out in the garage or moved into it when the tree was up in the house.

We do however get lots of whitetails inside the house, I have to put one out on a daily basis.

I occasionally worry about when my daughter is outside playing, and I've already started teaching her about them, even though she's only 17 months old, by pointing to the house spiders and telling her they're friendly spiders and I show her redbacks and whitetails and tell her they are unfriendly and not to touch them or play with them.

Archived