redbacks!!!!!

jacquena

Hehe, huntsman, no problem, have also been to the loo in company of a very large redback. I did change cubicles when camping when I came across a female mouse spider though... http://www.ozanimals.com/Spider/Mouse-Spider/Missulena/bradleyi.html (may have been some sort of funnelweb, hard to ID in torchlight...)

:eek: I think I would have changed campsites!

I have been thinking about taking the girls camping at some point, and I have to admit that this is my only reservation. We have been to a few out of the way places with 'hole in the ground' composting toilets, and have seen a few smaller spiders, but I think that a mouse spider or relation would definitely put me off!

:eek: I think I would have changed campsites!

I have been thinking about taking the girls camping at some point, and I have to admit that this is my only reservation. We have been to a few out of the way places with 'hole in the ground' composting toilets, and have seen a few smaller spiders, but I think that a mouse spider or relation would definitely put me off!

To be honest as long as you accompany them to the loo at night-time and check, or teach them to check, it'll be fine, I would definitely not let that put you off taking them camping. Nasties are very rare, and I have NEVER seen one on or around the seat or near the door handles, just in the nooks and crannies that are out of the way.

I actually knew someone who got bitten by a redback whilst standing in the kitchen. It bit her on the neck so she thinks it must have crawled on her whilst she was outside. Also once when we had the BBQ going under the patio, one dropped out of the roof onto someone's back, must have got smoked out with the cooking.

do you mind me asking why you are going back to the uk?

do you mind me asking why you are going back to the uk?

Missing family is the biggest factor. Been here 20 years, at first it was OK, but the last few years we have really started to feel unsettled here. There's just the 2 of us here, no children or any relatives at all, but lots of family back in the UK & Europe.

Had some great times here and don't regret it but we just don't feel like we belong here anymore.

Archived