Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

I'm figuring the similarity of our usernames might confuse some ;)

A word of advice - don't go advertising it until after you have your import approval...PM me if you need...

Thanks for confirming what I thought. Think i'll try and source a potential buyer first though.

Thanks again - cracking thread (and name...)!

Ok I've been having a tinker with this for a little while and think I've got it pretty close. I've developed an Excel spreadsheet that provides an estimate of whether or not your car is

Category A: definitely worth bringing, you'll do nicely out of it when the time comes to sell

Category B: only worth bringing if you love the car and/or plan to keep it for a while

Category C: not worth the aggro, you're better off selling it in the UK

*Disclaimers* - the estimates are based on the following:

1) using my services at AUD990 (it's set up for my customers, obviously!)

2) using RORO shipping from Southampton (does not include transport to get your car to the port)

3) the current GBP/AUD exchange rate

4) a customs value at 75% of the normal market value

5) includes customs duty and GST

5) a set figure for dock charges (which I've deliberately set higher than what they normally come in at)

6) includes the cost of a valuation and transport to the workshop once cleared

7) includes $1000 for minor modifications needed for registration

8) does NOT include registration costs (because you pay that on all cars, whether they're imported or bought here in Australia)

As you can see, I've tried to be as upfront about the costs of getting the vehicle to Australia, and I have actually over-allowed on what many bills come in at. There are a heap of variables in here and each car is different, so don't be disheartened if you get a category C - the calculator isn't meant to be the ultimate authority, but it will give you a fair guide.

What I need from you:

1) Year/make/model/mileage/aircon or no aircon

2) Market value in the UK (be realistic!)

3) Market value in Australia (search via www.redbook.com.au and make sure you click right through to the description to get the correct price ranges - if you don't chances are you're looking at the price it was sold at when it was new)

Let's test it out :biggrin:

Vauxhall Meriva, 2011, Aircon, £10000

Can't find it on redbook!!

Thanks

Guest Gone Fishin

Hello mate,

Mine is a Honda CRV 2.2 ctdi EX. Aircon, Sat Nav and lots of other goodies. Just had it valued at £16.5K English. Has just done 40K miles.

Nothing comparable on Redbook - if only they did do a 6 speed manual diesel in Oz!

Thanks and great service!

Vauxhall Meriva, 2011, Aircon, £10000

Can't find it on redbook!!

Thanks

Leave it there, sorry - the Meriva was never sold here, and parts might be tricky to find...

Hello mate,

Mine is a Honda CRV 2.2 ctdi EX. Aircon, Sat Nav and lots of other goodies. Just had it valued at £16.5K English. Has just done 40K miles.

Nothing comparable on Redbook - if only they did do a 6 speed manual diesel in Oz!

Thanks and great service!

What year is it?

I know the answer is no already, but just want you to put me out of my misery... :cry:I have an 05 plate Saab 9-5 estate diesel with 110,000 miles on the clock. I assume that a) cos it is so high mileage and b) Saab are no longer with us (RIP :cry: ) and c) the car is basically worth the square root of bu55er all, I should basically "lose" it (as no-one is going to nick it :laugh:)

If I was staying in the UK, I would either run it into the ground or wait for it to gain classic car status :embarrassed:

Shame as she is a great car, have no finance on it, she is in good condidtion, given us no problems & it suits us down to the ground. I love rocking up to work in it amongst all the Beamers & Audis clones. :jimlad:

I guess the cost/ supply of Saab parts going forward really rule out us considering bringing it over.

BTS

HI

Can you help with vehicles that you havent owned for a year and that wouldnt go through the PIS ?

I have a classic motorcycle I would like to take that is worth about £5-6000 (triumph custom T100)

I also have a newer bike worth about £5000 and again not owned them for a year (fireblade 2007)

what would be the cost and is it worth while?

Guest Shell15
Ok I've been having a tinker with this for a little while and think I've got it pretty close. I've developed an Excel spreadsheet that provides an estimate of whether or not your car is

Category A: definitely worth bringing, you'll do nicely out of it when the time comes to sell

Category B: only worth bringing if you love the car and/or plan to keep it for a while

Category C: not worth the aggro, you're better off selling it in the UK

*Disclaimers* - the estimates are based on the following:

1) using my services at AUD990 (it's set up for my customers, obviously!)

2) using RORO shipping from Southampton (does not include transport to get your car to the port)

3) the current GBP/AUD exchange rate

4) a customs value at 75% of the normal market value

5) includes customs duty and GST

5) a set figure for dock charges (which I've deliberately set higher than what they normally come in at)

6) includes the cost of a valuation and transport to the workshop once cleared

7) includes $1000 for minor modifications needed for registration

8) does NOT include registration costs (because you pay that on all cars, whether they're imported or bought here in Australia)

As you can see, I've tried to be as upfront about the costs of getting the vehicle to Australia, and I have actually over-allowed on what many bills come in at. There are a heap of variables in here and each car is different, so don't be disheartened if you get a category C - the calculator isn't meant to be the ultimate authority, but it will give you a fair guide.

What I need from you:

1) Year/make/model/mileage/aircon or no aircon

2) Market value in the UK (be realistic!)

3) Market value in Australia (search via www.redbook.com.au and make sure you click right through to the description to get the correct price ranges - if you don't chances are you're looking at the price it was sold at when it was new)

Let's test it out :biggrin:

Hi can you tell us if you think it is worth taking our car out please:

Mitsubishi '04' plate Grandis Warrior

2.4 petrol with air con

Uk value - £4000 - £4500

Oz value - $14000 - $16500

mileage - 75000 miles

Many thanks

Michelle

Guest Shell15

Hi just posted above and then went on your site, cant believe how cheap you are compared to other quotes we have had!! Can you also tell us if our van is worth bring over as we had no intentions bringing it due to cost:

Volkswagon transporter T30

purchased brand new - September 2011

Mileage - 6000 miles

has air conditioning

UK value - £18000 approx

Oz value - on RB it is shown as a tray back, which its not?

Thank you

Michelle

Hi Ironchef

I was recommended your page by the moderator so Im here to ask a couple of questions, if u can help and just basically pick your brains. I emigrate to Melbourne on the 16th April and want to send my car over in the next couple of weeks really

Not as much asking if its worth bringin my car out or not because as its definitely coming ;) My enquiry is more on the lines of if you had any ideas on agents clearing it at Melbourne if I sent it RoRo from Newcastle or Southampton. Or you knew of good and/or bad agents to send it across with?

Its a BMW M5 2005 (but 2006 spec), 58000 miles, FULL leather interior; inc dash and FULL doors, heated and aircooled seats and many other options (18k worth of options when purchased). Value in the UK now will be around 19k and the redbook value gives between 65-73 AUD. The car is mint... with a couple of stone chips on the roof above the windscreen.. thats it!

Thanks for your help

Antony

Hi Ironchef

I was recommended your page by the moderator so Im here to ask a couple of questions, if u can help and just basically pick your brains. I emigrate to Melbourne on the 16th April and want to send my car over in the next couple of weeks really

Not as much asking if its worth bringin my car out or not because as its definitely coming ;) My enquiry is more on the lines of if you had any ideas on agents clearing it at Melbourne if I sent it RoRo from Newcastle or Southampton. Or you knew of good and/or bad agents to send it across with?

Its a BMW M5 2005 (but 2006 spec), 58000 miles, FULL leather interior; inc dash and FULL doors, heated and aircooled seats and many other options (18k worth of options when purchased). Value in the UK now will be around 19k and the redbook value gives between 65-73 AUD. The car is mint... with a couple of stone chips on the roof above the windscreen.. thats it!

Thanks for your help

Antony

Can't help on RORO and agents but I brought my M5 in via shipping agent in a container. Have a look at my post which details my costs to Sydney:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/97053-transporting-your-car-oz-everything-you-need-know-75.html#post1345744

Guest Neily

Hi Iron Chef,

Still on the fence about bringing my car as I could do with the capital ahead of the eventual move, but here goes:

2006 Lotus Elise 111R, 12000 miles, no aircon.

UK value: £17,500 approx

RedBook: $35,000

Thanks in advance for the info!

Neil.

HI, I've found this thread after desperately trying to work out whether we should ship our cars over to australia, could you please help?!

:biggrin:

We have:

2009 Mitsubishi L200 (called a Triton in Oz)

Diesel, 2.5ltr, air con, 4 door double cab version with seats in back as well as front

35000 miles

Uk Price £11500

Red book about $33000

and...

2007 Ford Focus Style 1.6ltr petrol automatic

39000 miles, air con etc,

Uk Price £4500

Red book around $21000

What do you think? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

The service described on your website sounds great. We had pretty much abandoned plans to bring our beloved Subaru. Which group would you place it in, although I think we'll go ahead anyway! It's also got new brakes and suspension - does that make any difference?

1 - Subaru impreza WRX AWD turbo 2.0l petrol, 54k miles, aircon present

2 - £4000

3 - AUS$17000

Thanks, Fiona

Guest jeffmcarthur

Hi there - can I ask a quick question please? Do you have to have owned/used the car for 12 months? Can you still personally import a car even if you havent and pay GST or something? Cheers

Guest Tolley Family

Hi

Wondering if it will be worth bringing hubbies beloved Honda

Honda Accord 2008 - built in sat nav, part leather, parking sensors, reverse camera, climate control, air con.

2.2 Diesel Manual

45,000 approx

£12,500 UK value

$44,990 AU value from redbook valuation.

Guest isis1mcc

hi ironchef

jag s-type SE 2002

aircon

2.5 petrol auto

150000km

£1.5k-2k approx UK

$12-14 AU

got full extra pack and harman kardan complete sound upgrade