Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

Hi Iron Chef

My wife, children and I are looking at emigrating next year and are getting all the usual things in order and one of the things we've been considering is our cars, motorhome and a motorcycle and hey presto, I see your thread.

My car is a 2008 (08) Ford Focus 1.8TDCI Ghia, 5 door estate, manual, silver, aircon, 60k miles and valued realistically at approx £6000.

My wife's car is a 2003 (53) Toyota Yaris 1.3 VVT-i T3, 5 door hatchback, manual, red, 60k miles, no air con and valued at £2000.

Also I have a custom built chopper (Harley based, but not a Harley) that I would like to take over. What's the deal with motorcycles, as I read somewhere that due to Australia not manufacturing motorcycles, the import tax is lower than it is for cars, is that true? How would they go about valuing it?

Is there any chance you could let me know which category the cars fall into and any info/advice for importing my bike?

There's also our motorhome, but I'll ask about that later.

Ok I've been having a tinker with this for a little while and think I've got it pretty close. I've developed an Excel spreadsheet that provides an estimate of whether or not your car is

Category A: definitely worth bringing, you'll do nicely out of it when the time comes to sell

Category B: only worth bringing if you love the car and/or plan to keep it for a while

Category C: not worth the aggro, you're better off selling it in the UK

*Disclaimers* - the estimates are based on the following:

1) using my services at AUD990 (it's set up for my customers, obviously!)

2) using RORO shipping from Southampton (does not include transport to get your car to the port)

3) the current GBP/AUD exchange rate

4) a customs value at 75% of the normal market value

5) includes customs duty and GST

5) a set figure for dock charges (which I've deliberately set higher than what they normally come in at)

6) includes the cost of a valuation and transport to the workshop once cleared

7) includes $1000 for minor modifications needed for registration

8) does NOT include registration costs (because you pay that on all cars, whether they're imported or bought here in Australia)

As you can see, I've tried to be as upfront about the costs of getting the vehicle to Australia, and I have actually over-allowed on what many bills come in at. There are a heap of variables in here and each car is different, so don't be disheartened if you get a category C - the calculator isn't meant to be the ultimate authority, but it will give you a fair guide.

What I need from you:

1) Year/make/model/mileage/aircon or no aircon/engine size and fuel type/transmission/body type/any distinctive features

2) Market value in the UK (be realistic!)

3) Market value in Australia (search via www.redbook.com.au and make sure you click right through to the description to get the correct price ranges - if you don't chances are you're looking at the price it was sold at when it was new)

Let's test it out :biggrin:

Hi Iron Chef, here are details of our car...

1) 2008/Kia/Carens (Rondo in OZ)/aircon/2.0 Diesel/Manual/MPV 5 door 5 seats/40000 miles

2) £4800-£5900

3) $12000-$16000 AUSD

Thanks

Emma

Edited by daydreamer88

Guest Guest67761
Hi,

Please can you see what you think about our car. Details below.

Cheers

1) 2007 Renault Scenic 1.5dCi 106 Dynamique 60K mileage with aircon Diesel Manual

2) Market value in the UK £6300

3) Market value in Australia $13 000 to $15 000

Based on these figures which seem to be about right from the research I have just done, this vehicle would cost around $6,400 to have transported to Australia including freight, import duty, taxes and estimated costs to get it on-road here .. once you add the current UK value it would owe you around $16,100 which is more than it would be worth in Australia.

It has to be Category C .. don't bother bringing this to Australia.

Let us know if you need more information.

Craig.

Would you mind running through your calculator:

2004 Honda S2000, value £7k.

50k miles. Purchased for 8.5k 2010.

Owned for over two years.

Redbook value 26-28 aus.

Many thanks!

With a current value of £7,000 it would cost you an extra $6,900 (around £4,500) to get this car on-road in Australia giving a total cost including the current value of around $17,700 which is a decent amount less than the Australian value. Even taking into account the typically lower sale prices seen for personal imports I would still expect this car to be worth at least $22,000 so it would be a good one to import.

I would put this into Category A .. a very good one to bring to Australia.

Please feel free to contact me anytime if you wanted to get the ball rolling on this one, or if you need to know more information before getting started.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi I cannot find an australian value for a ford cmax titanium, 08 reg, 20000 miles with air con. Uk value 7000. thanks.

This model was never sold in Australia so its not possible to get an accurate market value, however based on the current value of around £7,000 it would be likely to cost you somewhere around $6,600 (about £4,300) to get it shipped and on-road in Australia which would give you a total vehicle cost of around $17,400 which seems reasonable for a 2008 model with low mileage in this class of vehicle.

Without a direct comparison we can't say if its a good car to bring to Australia, keeping in mind that parts and servicing might be an issue, and insurance would be more expensive also. Selling a car like this might be a painful prospect too so I would probably suggest that you sell in the UK before you leave unless you have a strong attachment to this car.

I hope this information is helpful.

Cheers,

Craig.

Hi Iron Chef

My wife, children and I are looking at emigrating next year and are getting all the usual things in order and one of the things we've been considering is our cars, motorhome and a motorcycle and hey presto, I see your thread.

My car is a 2008 (08) Ford Focus 1.8TDCI Ghia, 5 door estate, manual, silver, aircon, 60k miles and valued realistically at approx £6000.

My wife's car is a 2003 (53) Toyota Yaris 1.3 VVT-i T3, 5 door hatchback, manual, red, 60k miles, no air con and valued at £2000.

Also I have a custom built chopper (Harley based, but not a Harley) that I would like to take over. What's the deal with motorcycles, as I read somewhere that due to Australia not manufacturing motorcycles, the import tax is lower than it is for cars, is that true? How would they go about valuing it?

Is there any chance you could let me know which category the cars fall into and any info/advice for importing my bike?

There's also our motorhome, but I'll ask about that later.

2008 Ford Focus

We would estimate this car to cost around $6,300 in fees to get it on-road in Australia making a total cost of around $15,600. Similar cars are worth around $12,000 to $18,000 less a little for the "personal import" factor so although it would be a close call I would lean towards selling it before you leave. Category B.

2003 Toyota Yaris

Forget this one too. Without aircon you will hate it in the Aussie summer and it would cost quite a bit to have aircon fitted. Even then the car would owe more than $8,000 in total and it's only worth less than $7,000. Category C.

custom built chopper

This one would be a hard call and I believe that the cost of importing might be secondary to the headache and cost of actually getting it road registered. Typically custom made vehicles can be a headache as they need to meet all of the Australian specific design and manufacture laws so you may find massive changes required to get it on the road, or on the other hand it might breeze through with very little trouble indeed. You really need to just have a go and see what happens so it's really only for people who are really attached to the bike, very brave, a little crazy, or a combination of these.

Cheers,

Craig.

Hi Iron Chef, here are details of our car...

1) 2008/Kia/Carens (Rondo in OZ)/aircon/2.0 Diesel/Manual/MPV 5 door 5 seats/40000 miles

2) £4800-£5900

3) $12000-$16000 AUSD

Thanks

Emma

Hi Emma,

We never got the Rondo here in a diesel version and although I personally think it would be a better vehicle it could be hard to resell down the track. Even at the lowest current value of around £4,800 this car would end up owing you about $13,300 on-road in Australia, and I think it may only be worth around $12,000 if sold here.

It seems unlikely to be a good option unless it's in absolutely stunning condition, much higher specification than a local Australia model (which is quite possible) and/or turns out to be worth a lower value in the UK when you try to sell it.

I hope this helps with your query. Please let me know if you have any other questions or need anything clarified at all.

Best wishes,

Craig.

Guest Jameslvnlife

We have been told only bring the car if there is sentimental value but my goodness the prices of second hand cars look dear!

Guest Guest67761
We have been told only bring the car if there is sentimental value but my goodness the prices of second hand cars look dear!

Car prices in Australia certainly are high compared to what you see around the UK, on most models anyway. Often it's good value to bring your current car with you but sometimes it's just not worth the trouble if the cost works out higher than a similar model in Australia or if it's an unusual model that will be really hard to resell in Australia ... of course if you plan to keep the car for many years then the Australian value and ease of sale may not be so much of a concern.

Did we already do some calculations for you? .. if not please let us know the vehicle details and I will be happy to research it for you?

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

- engine size & fuel type

- transmission

- mileage

- any special features or options

- does it have aircon

- realistic current UK market value

Guest Shangani

I have owned a BMW 320d Touring 2008 model on 08 plate since new. Purchase price around £29K, but current value around £13K in the UK. Manual transmission, aircon, satnav, 44K miles.

Moving to Adelaide in around 6 weeks time on a 457 visa (but to a permanent job) and have been getting mixed opinions on whether it is worth bringing and how it's taxable value will be calculated in Australia if we are able to ship it out. I suspect it will fall into your category A, but any idea of how much cash in hand I would need to pay all the costs involved to get it shipped / landed / registered etc? The movers doing our household goods were very discouraging, but reading this thread, that may have been bad advice.

It appears that a similar vehicle in Australia would be worth around $30,000 to $37,000 depending on mileage, condition, etc ... your car would end up costing around $8,500 to get to Australia so including the current value of around £13,000 it would owe a total of about $28,500 on the road in Australia. This is a reasonable amount less than it's likely value although not a massive saving, so although it would be a decent prospect to import you could take it or leave it depending on how much you love the car and/or hate doing paperwork.

All things considered I would put this in Category B because it could go either way.

Thanks for this info Iron Chef, it is really appreciated!!

Looks like we won't bother i think, i hate paper work lol and im stressing enough already about our other possessions. I will be sad to see it go tho :(

Guest Guest67761
I have owned a BMW 320d Touring 2008 model on 08 plate since new. Purchase price around £29K, but current value around £13K in the UK. Manual transmission, aircon, satnav, 44K miles.

Moving to Adelaide in around 6 weeks time on a 457 visa (but to a permanent job) and have been getting mixed opinions on whether it is worth bringing and how it's taxable value will be calculated in Australia if we are able to ship it out. I suspect it will fall into your category A, but any idea of how much cash in hand I would need to pay all the costs involved to get it shipped / landed / registered etc? The movers doing our household goods were very discouraging, but reading this thread, that may have been bad advice.

It's a hard vehicle to value in Australia as we never got this model in diesel and although my opinion is that this is a far better vehicle than a similar petrol model there is just nothing to directly compare it to unfortunately. My best guess would be that if it was sold here then they would be worth around $30,000 to $40,000 and your car based on the current value you have provided would end up owing you around $28,000 so it's a fairly decent prospect to import if you wanted to keep the car. The actual costs involved would be somewhere around $8,400 give or take (around £5,500).

If you were planning to keep it for a while then I would look at bringing it along as it would be a great car to have in Australia, on the other hand if you were looking to sell it fairly soon after getting to Aus then there is a 50/50 chance that it could be moderately hard to sell. With that said I personally would purchase it in a heartbeat but not everyone thinks the same as me unfortunately!

Let me know if you need any more information or if you decide to bring the car along and wanted a more specific quote.

Cheers,

Craig.

Guest Andypscott

Hello,

how about a 2004 Mercedes SLK 230 - worth £7k in the UK and $32,000 in OZ?

The biggest risk taking it is that my wife won't want to sell it....

Guest Guest67761
Hello,

how about a 2004 Mercedes SLK 230 - worth £7k in the UK and $32,000 in OZ?

The biggest risk taking it is that my wife won't want to sell it....

The cost of taking this to Oz would be around $6,600 (about £4,300) and would give you a total value of around $17,500 on-road all up ... if this model is worth $32,000 in Australia then even a personal import would sell for at least $26,000 so it's an absolute Category A for this one.

Please contact me (craig@ironladyimports.com) regardless of if you decide to bring this car to Australia or not - either way I can help you out.

Cheers,

Craig.

Hi there,

Could you please work out the feasibility of taking the following cars.

Car 1: 2006 KIA SORENTO XT - 57000 miles, 2.35ltr Diesel, aircon, manual, chrome pack

UK Market Value: £7200.00

AUS Market Value: $17500.00

Car 2: 2000 Volkwagen Golf 1.8 GTI Turbo 20 valve - 107000 miles, hatchback, manual, unleaded, aircon,

UK Market Value: £1850.00

AUS Market Value: $7300.00

The following is a possible purchase that we are thinking of with the KIA as a trade in.

Car 3: 2010 Ford SMax, 5500 miles, diesel, 7 people carrier, aircon, automatic

UK Market Value: £17500.00

AUS Market Value: $NA

Obviously we would like to take two cars to keep the shipping costs down and ship them in a 40' container with our personal effects. Could you advise if this is possible.

Many thanks

We have an Audi TT in storage in the UK

It is 2009 3.2 Quattro sports tiptronic approximately 20k on the clock

Black with Red leather interior

Estimated UK value is 15k and it's approx Aus value ( as close as I can see) is about $55k

Is it worth shipping it over?

Hiya,

We have a BMW 535d M Sport 2011(61) mileage 4,000 current uk value £42,000 current value of equivalent car in Oz $136,000.

We wouldn't be looking at taking it across until around aug 2013. I estimate it would be worth around £34,000 in the uk at that time. Would we need to pay any luxury car tax? I read something about if it's over two years old you don't pay it?? If so do you know when they calculate this date from is it the cars build date or when it was first registered in the uk?

Please could you give me a rough estimate of how much it would cost to take over to Brisbane and what the value of it in oz would be around aug/sept 2013 considering it's an import?

Many thanks,

Javi x

Edited by javi1979

Thanks Craig for the last lot of info.

We were also looking at shipping our motorhome over. It's a 2004 Benimar Anthus 6000LD (7 birth), 45k miles, built on a Fiat Ducato chassis with a 2.8JTD engine. Approx value in the UK is £18-20k. Has cab air con.

Would it be worth shipping?

Cheers

Russell

Guest Guest67761
Hi there,

Could you please work out the feasibility of taking the following cars.

Car 1: 2006 KIA SORENTO XT - 57000 miles, 2.35ltr Diesel, aircon, manual, chrome pack

UK Market Value: £7200.00

AUS Market Value: $17500.00

Car 2: 2000 Volkwagen Golf 1.8 GTI Turbo 20 valve - 107000 miles, hatchback, manual, unleaded, aircon,

UK Market Value: £1850.00

AUS Market Value: $7300.00

The following is a possible purchase that we are thinking of with the KIA as a trade in.

Car 3: 2010 Ford SMax, 5500 miles, diesel, 7 people carrier, aircon, automatic

UK Market Value: £17500.00

AUS Market Value: $NA

Obviously we would like to take two cars to keep the shipping costs down and ship them in a 40' container with our personal effects. Could you advise if this is possible.

Many thanks

You can only take one car per person and each car must have been registered and used by that person for at least 12 months. So assuming there are 3 of you each with a car then you can bring which ever ones you choose, otherwise if they are all in the one name then please let us know so we can advise further.

The prices we mention will be for shipping cars individually. If you are already arranging a container which you plan to use for the car/s also then the price could vary a little - cheaper because of combined freight, but possibly a little more too due to added container packing and unpacking costs associated with shipping cars. This would be up to the freight company and what they charge you. In any case you should be able to use these figures as a decent guide and it shouldn't vary by a lot either way anyway.

2006 Kia Sorento XT

The cost to get this car to Australia would be somewhere around $6,800 (about £4,600) so including the current car value it would owe you around $17,700 which is about what it's worth in Australia, so I would not bother with this one unless you had some special attachment to it. Category B.

2000 Volkswagen Golf GTI

You would be looking at around $5,000 (about £3,350) in costs to get this one to Australia and on the road, giving a total cost including the current car value of around $7,800. You have listed the Australian market value as $7,300 however I believe that if this car is in good condition and looks appealing then it could be worth a little more as the GTI is quite sought after over here. The cheapest GTI on the market at the moment is $9,300 and the UK spec cars are at least as good as the Australian models so you should be able to sell it for at least $8,000 but possibly even more depending on the exact vehicle you have. If it's a 3 door hatchback then it would be an absolute gem!

2010 Ford SMax

These were never sold in Australia so it would be a very hard vehicle to value and even harder to sell eventually. I would only suggest bringing something like this to Australia if you really wanted it yourself and knew that because they were not available here that importing it was the only way to get one. Also keep in mind that you must have owned and used the car personally for at least 12 months before you move to Australia, so unless you are not coming for at least another 12 months then it would not be possible. On the other hand if you are coming in more than 12 months you have the opportunity to purchase from a wide range of different vehicles which could be very well worth your time and affort. Please let us know if you are in this situation and wanted advice on what to possibly purchase.

Cheers,

Craig.

We have an Audi TT in storage in the UK

It is 2009 3.2 Quattro sports tiptronic approximately 20k on the clock

Black with Red leather interior

Estimated UK value is 15k and it's approx Aus value ( as close as I can see) is about $55k

Is it worth shipping it over?

I think your Australian valuation is very close but to be safe I would expect a market value of maybe around $50,000 to allow for the fact that it's a personally imported vehicle and they are usually worth just a little less. With that said the cost to get it here would be somewhere around $9,000 (about £6,000) giving a total value including the current car price of around $31,500 which is substantially less than it's Australia value so this would be a "must bring to Australia" vehicle.

Category A (absolutely)

Hiya,

We have a BMW 535d M Sport 2011(61) mileage 4,000 current uk value £42,000 current value of equivalent car in Oz $136,000.

We wouldn't be looking at taking it across until around aug 2013. I estimate it would be worth around £34,000 in the uk at that time. Would we need to pay any luxury car tax? I read something about if it's over two years old you don't pay it?? If so do you know when they calculate this date from is it the cars build date or when it was first registered in the uk?

Please could you give me a rough estimate of how much it would cost to take over to Brisbane and what the value of it in oz would be around aug/sept 2013 considering it's an import?

Many thanks,

Javi x

Hi Javi,

The value of around $136,000 is the Australia price for this vehicle brand new. Currently as a slightly used vehicle it would be worth around $110,000 at the most, and in another 18 months it could be worth $70k to $80k give or take. Based on the estimated future value of around £34,000 then this car would cost around $15,800 (about £10,600) to get to Australia and on the road, which means including the original £34,000 value it would owe somewhere around $67,000 which should be less than the Aus market value at the time but we would want to do the figures again at the time.

If you are not coming to Australia for another 18 months then you have the opportunity to look at other makes & models which could be worth substantially more in Australia than the cost of importing, for example most Porsche models and many European 4WD, SUV and luxury models can end up owing around half of their market value in Australia.

Luxury Car Tax is payable on all cars imported to Australia with a LCT taxable value of more than $57,466. It's hard to easily explain and calculate the 'LCT taxable value' for personally imported vehicles however I can tell you that the estimated LCT payable on this car for you would only be around $1,025 and it has already been included in the figures listed above.

The 2 year rule you would have read about is worded as follows:

"You do not have to pay LCT on a car with a value above the LCT threshold if it is imported and it was ‘entered for home consumption’ more than two years before the supply"

'entered for home consumption' means to submit a customs clearance entry when the vehicle is imported to Australia, so this basically means you do not pay LCT when the car is sold if its more than 2 years after it was imported to Australia.

I hope this helps answer all of your questions. Please let me know if you need any more information at all.

Cheers,

Craig.

Guest Guest67761
Thanks Craig for the last lot of info.

We were also looking at shipping our motorhome over. It's a 2004 Benimar Anthus 6000LD (7 birth), 45k miles, built on a Fiat Ducato chassis with a 2.8JTD engine. Approx value in the UK is £18-20k. Has cab air con.

Would it be worth shipping?

Cheers

Russell

Hi Russell,

I personally haven't dealt with importing this type of vehicle as a personal import and I would hate to steer you wrong, so I would want to refer you to Kristian to be sure you get accurate advice. Please message him directly here --> Iron Chef <-- with all of the details. If may take a couple of days to get the reply but he should know more about this vehicle than me.

Feel free to pick my brain on anything else!

Cheers,

Craig.

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your reply regarding the cars we have listed. We would like to bring two cars over and each have a car registered in our names, so we have some luck there.

Yes we are not due over for another 10-12 months and would like some advise on the purchase of a Ford Smax. As you say they are not sold in Australia so we are a little apprehensive on buying one although they do fit our family requirements perfectly. If we did go down this route, I think we would be looking at a Ford Smax Titanium 2ltr Diesel automatic or a 2ltr petro; ecoboost engine, both with aircon.

Would be willing to listen to your advise on this matter.

Again many thanks.

Guest Guest67761
Hi Craig,

Thanks for your reply regarding the cars we have listed. We would like to bring two cars over and each have a car registered in our names, so we have some luck there.

Yes we are not due over for another 10-12 months and would like some advise on the purchase of a Ford Smax. As you say they are not sold in Australia so we are a little apprehensive on buying one although they do fit our family requirements perfectly. If we did go down this route, I think we would be looking at a Ford Smax Titanium 2ltr Diesel automatic or a 2ltr petro; ecoboost engine, both with aircon.

Would be willing to listen to your advise on this matter.

Again many thanks.

Having tried to sell vehicles in Australia which were never sold here I can assure you that it's not an easy task and seriously reduces the target audience. If I was in your position and looking to buy something to bring with us then I would start by checking out other models in the same category which could be suitable, narrow the list to vehicles which were sold in Australia and which would represent good value to import, and consider my options from there.

Also keep in mind that something like the Smax would not just be harder to sell here but would also cost considerably more for insurance, quote possibly 2-3 times as much per year as a model which was available in Australia, as well as parts availability and servicing costs.

Having tried to sell vehicles in Australia which were never sold here I can assure you that it's not an easy task and seriously reduces the target audience. If I was in your position and looking to buy something to bring with us then I would start by checking out other models in the same category which could be suitable, narrow the list to vehicles which were sold in Australia and which would represent good value to import, and consider my options from there.

Also keep in mind that something like the Smax would not just be harder to sell here but would also cost considerably more for insurance, quote possibly 2-3 times as much per year as a model which was available in Australia, as well as parts availability and servicing costs.

I thought the insurance & service would be more expensive, but 2-3 times more than usual is a bit of a shock. We will reconsider other options and see where we get.

Thanks Craig

Guest Guest67761
I thought the insurance & service would be more expensive, but 2-3 times more than usual is a bit of a shock. We will reconsider other options and see where we get.

Thanks Craig

Obviously there are many factors to consider with insurance however I can tell you that a common model car worth around the same value as yours could have annual insurance fees of around $600 to $1,000 .. a similar valued import only model car can be anything from $1,500 to $3,000 depending on the insurance company you choose, and even then there are only a few who will even insure non-common models in Australia.

Servicing might not be a huge amount more costly but obviously buying any spare parts which are unique to that model will be painful, time consuming and somewhat costly.

Hi

I'm looking to import my car is it worth taking,here are the details.

- year of manufacture-2002

- make, model & variant-subaru inprezza sti type uk

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)-saloon-4 door

- engine size & fuel type-20L 16v Turbo

- transmission-6 speed manual

- mileage-57k

- any special features or options-defi Gauges

- does it have aircon-yes

- realistic current UK market value-£5000

Cheers

Guest Guest67761
Hi

I'm looking to import my car is it worth taking,here are the details.

- year of manufacture-2002

- make, model & variant-subaru inprezza sti type uk

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)-saloon-4 door

- engine size & fuel type-20L 16v Turbo

- transmission-6 speed manual

- mileage-57k

- any special features or options-defi Gauges

- does it have aircon-yes

- realistic current UK market value-£5000

Cheers

Your out of pocket expenses to get this car to Australia and on the road should be around $6,000 which including the current car value makes a total cost of somewhere around $13,500 ... this vehicle should be worth about $16,000 to $20,000 roughly so it would be worth bringing with you. Category A.

Your out of pocket expenses to get this car to Australia and on the road should be around $6,000 which including the current car value makes a total cost of somewhere around $13,500 ... this vehicle should be worth about $16,000 to $20,000 roughly so it would be worth bringing with you. Category A.

cheers,dude,will defininately ship it over:biggrin:.