Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

Guest Guest67761
We paid £8000 for it and by the time we have paid to ship it over I am wondering if it is worth the hassle although we would intend keeping it for a long time in oz. what do you think?

Looking back through your previous posts I found some more information about this car. You were correct that being a 2007 model with fairly low mileage it should be worth around $20k to $22k in Australia. Based on it being worth around £6,500 currently then it would cost you around $6,500 (or £4,200) roughly to get it on the road in Australia making a total cost of somewhere around $16,500 ... I would put this in Category B.

If you wanted to keep it for a while then it would be decent value as it would be a reasonable amount cheaper than buying a similar vehicle when you get here, however if you were going to sell it soon then being an imported vehicle you should expect to sell it for a little less than normal Australia market value so you might only get around $17,000 for it anyway. Of course if it wasn't able to be sold in the UK for as much as £6,500 then it would make the importing idea even more suitable too!

Hi, could you give me your opinion on my car, it's probably going to cost about £4k to bring it over, wonder if its worth it:-

Volvo C30 Rdesign, 2008, 1.8 petrol (they only do 2.4 in aus), 25,000 miles, aircon

Paid £13,500 two years now worth UK £8,000

Aus market value (red book) $13-15k (for 2.4)

Many thanks

Being so much smaller on the engine size you would have a really tough time selling this car in Australia unless the price was substancially lower than others on the market, so I would only consider bringing this car to Australia for your own personal use even if the numbers worked out sell ... the bad news is that the number don't work.

If this car is indeed worth around £8,000 then it would end up costing you somewhere around $6,500 (about £4,200) to get it on the road here which makes a total cost of around $18,800 for a car that is likely to only be worth around $12,000 to resell.

This car is a Category C for sure, do not bother importing this one.

Let us know if you wanted and more information or any figures clarified at all.

Regards,

Craig.

Looking back through your previous posts I found some more information about this car. You were correct that being a 2007 model with fairly low mileage it should be worth around $20k to $22k in Australia. Based on it being worth around £6,500 currently then it would cost you around $6,500 (or £4,200) roughly to get it on the road in Australia making a total cost of somewhere around $16,500 ... I would put this in Category B.

If you wanted to keep it for a while then it would be decent value as it would be a reasonable amount cheaper than buying a similar vehicle when you get here, however if you were going to sell it soon then being an imported vehicle you should expect to sell it for a little less than normal Australia market value so you might only get around $17,000 for it anyway. Of course if it wasn't able to be sold in the UK for as much as £6,500 then it would make the importing idea even more suitable too!

Being so much smaller on the engine size you would have a really tough time selling this car in Australia unless the price was substancially lower than others on the market, so I would only consider bringing this car to Australia for your own personal use even if the numbers worked out sell ... the bad news is that the number don't work.

If this car is indeed worth around £8,000 then it would end up costing you somewhere around $6,500 (about £4,200) to get it on the road here which makes a total cost of around $18,800 for a car that is likely to only be worth around $12,000 to resell.

This car is a Category C for sure, do not bother importing this one.

Let us know if you wanted and more information or any figures clarified at all.

Regards,

Craig.

Thanks Craig, I think deep down I knew it wasnt worth the expense, my husband said the same. Up for sale it is then. :-)

Tracey

Guest Guest67761
Does anyone know a model/year of car that could be owned in the UK for less than 12 months prior to emigrating that would still be worth taking to Australia despite the transport costs/taxes?

By owning a vehicle for at least 12 months and meeting the other criteria for a "personal import" you can sidestep the normal Australian import restrictions and basically import any make and model. The advantage of this is that you can import a make/model which would otherwise not be allowed for import, which means that you can get a car on the road in Australia which could owe you a lot less than a similar local model.

If you do not meet the criteria for a personal import then you would have to go through the other normal import schemes available in Australia just like everyone else. By doing this you will be competing with other normal importers and dealer who can all purchase and import the same car as you for the same price, there is no special exemption for having owned car overseas for less than 12 months so there is no real advantage at all.

With that said you can still make money out of importing cars to Australia if that is your goal, however the only advantage of buying while you are still in the UK is that you would get to hand pick the car personally, otherwise you could just do exactly the same once you are settled in Australia.

Hi,

do you think this is worth it and how much would it cost. 05 mondeo 2ltr tdci. 60k miles, around £3k here, old model in aus around 5k dollars new model around 14k dollars. My model is in between these two. Doesn't look like my model is over there.

thanks.

peter

Hi Peter we actually had a customer bring one over recently (here's the evidence!):

422785_240988022651014_141948569221627_522486_445107031_n.jpg

He was mad keen about his car though, and was going to send it regardless of what I suggested! Unless you happen to be in a similar category, I'd advise selling it off in the UK.

422785_240988022651014_141948569221627_522486_445107031_n.jpg

Hi there! I hope you can help me decide if it's worth the hassle and cost!

1. BMW 530D

2. £10,500 UK value (paid 13,500 15 months ago)

3. Market value $40,000 -$44,200 (has 65,000 miles)

Thanks for looking for me!

Also do you deal in Motorbikes?

If so can you tell me if it's worth importing something we've had for less than a year??

Thanks

Ali

Hi Iron Chef please can you help, undecided whether to bring our car over, partner says its going to be too much hassle but i do not want to part with it. I also think we would be sillly not to bring it over as its worth a lot more in Australia. I didnt manage to find the price in Oz$ because on www.redbook.com.au there was not my model c220 SPORT. Please can you find a price for me?

mercedes benz c220 sport, 65k miles, aircon, diesel

market value UK £13k

Also if you we did decide to bring it over how long can we expect the process to take. Im hoping to join my partner in Queensland by July.

Thanks

Hi iron chef

This is a great thread your running and will be a godsend to a heap of people.

Could you do me the r of some calculations if you get a spare minute.

I have a 2010 Renault traffic crew van with tip tonic auto box, aircon and all electrics.

I bought this vehicle new in oct 2010 and only has 11000 miles on the clock. They are selling at the moment for between 11k and 12k. I paid 17k new.

Can you please input my details not your system and let me know if my efforts of taking this to Perth would be worth it.

Many thanks

Regan

Hi Ironchef, I have a 2007 Jaguar S-Typr R, uk purchase price £10k in 2011, Aus Price $80k, and Chrysler Grand Voyager 2005, uk purchase price £7k, Aus Price $20k.

A guide to the duty due in Oz would be appreciated. Will need to speak soon re importing them to Perth.

Regards

Jon

Guest Guest67761
Hi there! I hope you can help me decide if it's worth the hassle and cost!

1. BMW 530D

2. £10,500 UK value (paid 13,500 15 months ago)

3. Market value $40,000 -$44,200 (has 65,000 miles)

Thanks for looking for me!

Also do you deal in Motorbikes?

If so can you tell me if it's worth importing something we've had for less than a year??

Thanks

Ali

Hi Ali,

Based on the information provided this car would be Category A for sure. Depending on the exact year model these can realistically sell in Australia for around $30,000 to $40,000 so assuming its around a 2006 model then it would be a very good prospect, and if it was even newer (minor facelift model) then it would be even better. Either way I would strongly urge you to bring this car with you.

Motorbikes can be good or bad depending on the exact bike. We would need as much information as possible in order to give you an idea of what to expect.

Cheers,

Craig.

Guest Guest67761
Hi Iron Chef please can you help, undecided whether to bring our car over, partner says its going to be too much hassle but i do not want to part with it. I also think we would be sillly not to bring it over as its worth a lot more in Australia. I didnt manage to find the price in Oz$ because on

www.redbook.com.au there was not my model c220 SPORT. Please can you find a price for me?

mercedes benz c220 sport, 65k miles, aircon, diesel

market value UK £13k

Also if you we did decide to bring it over how long can we expect the process to take. Im hoping to join my partner in Queensland by July.

Thanks

We need just a little more information in order to value this car in Australia. Can you please tell us the following:

- year of manufacture

- transmission type

- engine size

- body style (coupe, etc)

The timeframe for this process can vary depending on a number of things but typically it could take around 10-16 weeks all up as long as there are no issues otherwise it could be an additional few weeks but not normally any longer than 20 weeks total so you should be good if you get moving on it soon.

Hi iron chef

This is a great thread your running and will be a godsend to a heap of people.

Could you do me the r of some calculations if you get a spare minute.

I have a 2010 Renault traffic crew van with tip tonic auto box, aircon and all electrics.

I bought this vehicle new in oct 2010 and only has 11000 miles on the clock. They are selling at the moment for between 11k and 12k. I paid 17k new.

Can you please input my details not your system and let me know if my efforts of taking this to Perth would be worth it.

Many thanks

Regan

Hi Regan,

Thanks for the feedback on the thread. We are trying to give as much information as possible to take away some of the mystery and confusion normally associated with importing vehicles to Australia.

I can't find anything to confirm if we got the Crew configuration here in Australia but I have found a rough price range for a standard van or somewhere around $20,000 to $23,000 most likely. Based on a current value of around £11,000 this van would end up owing you more than $25,000 in Australia so based on this information it would not be worth importing unfortunately.

Hi Ironchef, I have a 2007 Jaguar S-Typr R, uk purchase price £10k in 2011, Aus Price $80k, and Chrysler Grand Voyager 2005, uk purchase price £7k, Aus Price $20k.

A guide to the duty due in Oz would be appreciated. Will need to speak soon re importing them to Perth.

Regards

Jon

Hi Jon,

For the Jaguar, even based on your original purchase price, it works out to owe you a total of around $23,000 (including current UK value) which is a reasonable amount less than the $30,000 or more you might expect as a sale price in Australia. So assuming you purchased it early enough in 2011 to meet the 12 months ownership criteria at the time you apply for the import approval then this would be a good prospect (Category A)

If the Chrysler was worth £7,000 currently then it may or may not be a good option to import. I have done some research on UK prices and have found 2005 models selling for as little as £3,500 up to more than £7,000 still, so it could depend a lot on the current UK value rather than your purchase price.

Based on a current value of £7,000 it should end up owing you around $18,500 (including current UK value) in Australia, if that value was down around £4,000 for example then it would owe more like $12,500. Currently 2005 models are worth anything from $15,000 to $25,000 in Australia depending on the exact specification, mileage, etc. so we would really need to look into this one a lot more before we could make a recommendation.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest Genelennon

Hi,

Just wondering if you could give me a rough idea of what my car will be worth once in Australia if I want to sell it? (Struggling to find similar model on red book) Also, what will the total cost be to get it to Perth and on the road including your fee?

Audi TT Black/Edition 2011, 2.0 TFSI, Manual/Petrol, 5000miles.

Thanks!

Hi,

Just wondering if you could give me a rough idea of what my car will be worth once in Australia if I want to sell it? (Struggling to find similar model on red book) Also, what will the total cost be to get it to Perth and on the road including your fee?

Thanks!

Let us know the UK value and we can run it through the calculator. If you follow the link in my signature, you'll reach Craig via the contact form on the website for quotes :)

Hi again Iron Chef!

The rest of the info you require is;

Mercedes Benz C220 SPORT CDI - UK value around 13k paid 15k 1 year ago

transmission type - manual

2.2 litre

body style - 4 door saloon

date of registration 25/07/2007

Hi Ali,

Motorbikes can be good or bad depending on the exact bike. We would need as much information as possible in order to give you an idea of what to expect.

Cheers,

Craig.

Based on the information provided this car would be Category A for sure. Depending on the exact year model these can realistically sell in Australia for around $30,000 to $40,000 so assuming its around a 2006 model then it would be a very good prospect, and if it was even newer (minor facelift model) then it would be even better. Either way I would strongly urge you to bring this car with you.

OH will be pleased... it is a 2007 model Automatic, leather with lots of bells and several whistles to go with! He won't sell it, just keep it... one less hassle!

The situation with the motorbikes is slightly different.

We have 2

The first we have owned and used for the required 12 months a Yamaha Fazer FS1 1000 2003 model worth around £2000 here and $6,800-$8,000 according to red book

But the bike he loves is a Triumph Tiger 1050cc ABS 2010 model worth around £6000 here and $11,700 - $13900 according to the red book.... problem with this one is that he only bought it in November, so I'm wondering if all the costs will mean it's just plain stupid, especially if the Yamaha can go (he was intending to sell the Yamaha before we went, but it may be better to take that and trade it in for another Tiger later on??

Thanks very Much Craig for doing the calculations!

Guest Guest67761
Hi again Iron Chef!

The rest of the info you require is;

Mercedes Benz C220 SPORT CDI - UK value around 13k paid 15k 1 year ago

transmission type - manual

2.2 litre

body style - 4 door saloon

date of registration 25/07/2007

It appears that a similar vehicle in Australia would be worth around $30,000 to $37,000 depending on mileage, condition, etc ... your car would end up costing around $8,500 to get to Australia so including the current value of around £13,000 it would owe a total of about $28,500 on the road in Australia. This is a reasonable amount less than it's likely value although not a massive saving, so although it would be a decent prospect to import you could take it or leave it depending on how much you love the car and/or hate doing paperwork.

All things considered I would put this in Category B because it could go either way.

Guest Guest67761
Hi,

Thanks!

From what I can see the value of similar models here in Australia is around $60,000 give or take, so a personally imported version should be worth around $50,000 to $55,000 roughly ... the total cost to get this car on the road in Australia including the current value of around £24,000 would be somewhere around $49,000 so it would only be worth the trouble if you love the car and want to keep it. You wouldn't be losing on the deal but you also wouldn't make a huge profit either.

On the other hand if you ended up only being able to get around £22,000 for the car in the UK then it would owe around $45,000 which would make it a fairly reasonable proposition.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Craig.

OH will be pleased... it is a 2007 model Automatic, leather with lots of bells and several whistles to go with! He won't sell it, just keep it... one less hassle!

heh, sorry this made me chuckle as it's more of a hassle to keep and ship over than it is to sell it in UK.

Hi,

Please can you see what you think about our car. Details below.

Cheers

1) 2007 Renault Scenic 1.5dCi 106 Dynamique 60K mileage with aircon Diesel Manual

2) Market value in the UK £6300

3) Market value in Australia $13 000 to $15 000

Edited by angphil