Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

Guest Guest67761
Hi Iron Chef, would it be worth bringing our Ford S-max? 2008 Zetec 2.5 turbo- same engine as XR5 Mondeo, 120k miles, dual zone climate, UK value £6,000, thanks

We never got the S-Max in Australia and on the basis alone I would not normally consider it as a good option for importing because of the possible trouble with servicing and parts, insurance and of course resale value. if you did look at bringing it with you anyway then it might cost somewhere around $7,800 all up ($4960 for shipping + $1,040 for paperwork + $1,800 for on-road costs)

Regards,

Craig.

Edited by Guest67761

Guest Guest67761
Hi

Like many others we're weighing up costs of selling/importing, be grateful for advice :)

Honda Civic 1.8 I-VTEC EX

2007 (57 plate)

Mileage = 77K

£6000

$14,000 (bit of a guess actually as I could only find the honda civic R type on redbook)

Aircon - yes

Many thanks

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

If your car was worth around £6,000 and the Australia value was around $14,000 then it would cost you about $7,700 to bring it to Australia including all costs to get it on-road. Adding this to the current car value it would end up owing you around $17,000 in total so it would not appear to be a very good option based on these figures.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest JSnowball92

Hi, advice needed please!

I have just bought a new car..and now looking at possibly moving to Australia..wish i never got it :(

Anyway, how much would it cost/is it worth bringing it over?

SEAT Ibiza SC Sportrider 1.6 TDi, Diesel, 2012, 3000 miles, Air con, CC x2, Bluetooth etc.

Probably worth around 10k now but paid 14k new about month ago.

Many thanks.

Guest Guest67761
Hey, We're looking to bring with us our BMW 325i manual with us

2006 (06)

Mileage 95,000 miles

approx uk value £6500

Australian value = $25,000 - $28,000

I hope it's worthwhile despite our high mileage!

Jay

Hey there Jay,

Looking around I can only find 2006 BMW 325i models starting from around $27,000 in Australia for a 4 door (from $38,000 for a 2 door!) so even taking the worst case scenario value of $25,000 you would still be on a winner from our calculations. Based on these figures it would cost you around $9,300 all up to get this car to Australia and on the road, so including the current market value it would owe you around $19,500 in total which is well less than the likely Australian resale value, so I would put this in Category A for sure - bring it with you when you come!

Let us know when you are ready and we will be happy to help you.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi, advice needed please!

I have just bought a new car..and now looking at possibly moving to Australia..wish i never got it :(

Anyway, how much would it cost/is it worth bringing it over?

SEAT Ibiza SC Sportrider 1.6 TDi, Diesel, 2012, 3000 miles, Air con, CC x2, Bluetooth etc.

Probably worth around 10k now but paid 14k new about month ago.

Many thanks.

If you have only just purchased this car then you will not be able to bring it to Australia under the personal import laws for another 11 months. The requirements state that you must have owned and used the car yourself for a minimum of 12 months before moving to live in Australia. Unless you are not moving until after you have owned it for a year then you will have no option but to sell it before you come.

Sorry for the bad news.

Cheers,

Craig.

Guest Guest67761
Hi Ironchef

2006 BMW 330ci Sport Automatic Convertible(M Pack) top spec. 58k miles.

Oz valuation $34-38k

UK valuation 12k

Thanks

Based on the figures you provided you would be looking at around $7,500 for shipping costs, import duty and taxes + $1,040 for paperwork + $2,500 for on-road costs = around $11,000 in total. Over all it would work out around $6,000 less than buying a similar model here in Australia and being the top spec version it sounds like it would be a good option to bring with you.

Let me know if you decide to bring this car and we will be happy to help.

Regards,

Craig.

Thanks Craig, we also have a 2003 Mercedes C320 Classic estate 140k, Climate, price in UK £3000, redbook only lists sedans at around $18,000, would this be any better? thanks

Australia missed out on some of the model variants including wagon versions of cars seen as prestige models here, I guess because a wagon isn't considered as prestigious and they want to keep the brand image a certain way. It's the same reason all of the top end BMW and Mercedes model have automatic transmission and leather interior, there are just no lower spec versions sold here.

Typically wagon versions will sell for more than sedans here in Australia, however being that it's a variant that wasn't available here it may be worth slightly less than its potential and with the high mileage it will also be likely to reduce the value, so for the purpose of this calculation we will assume its going to be worth around $15,000.

The calculation comes back with a cost of around $7,760 all up ($4,920 shipping + $1,040 paperwork + $1,800 on-road costs) which means that the vehicle would owe you around $12,500 on-road here in Australia. This is a reasonable amount below the possible market value so it could be worthwhile bringing with you if you wanted to keep the car.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest nimhug

Hi Kakimoto33/ Ironchief,

Firstly, thanks so much for the very useful information on here, it's be sooooooo helpful! Our details are as follows:

1 - 2006 Toyota Prius 5 Door Liftback. Engine is 1497cc. 93,000 miles and it has aircon. The car is automatic.

2 - Current market value in UK: £5.5k - £6k.

3 - Price on redbook is between $10.7k and $14k

If you could please provide a category we would be very grateful! Doubtful but let the experts suggest otherwise!!

Thanks !

Guest Guest67761
Hi,

BMW x3 sport 2006 2l diesel - 55000 miles - £11k

Aus valuation - about $35000

Thanks

Based on the figures you have provided this vehicle should cost somewhere between $10,600 and $11,400 to ship to Australia including all port fees, import duty, taxes, customs clearance, ADR compliance, road registration, stamp duty and our service fee. It comes in as a Category B which means it's worthwhile bringing and will owe less than a similar replacement vehicle in Australia by a reasonable amount.

Please let us know if you require more information or if you were interested in getting started with the process.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi,

We have a 2008 Audi A4 S-Line with air-con.

18,000mls

uk price £16,000

Aus $47,000+ ??

What do you think we should do and how much would it cost to ship to Queensland?

Many thanks, Si.

I need a little more information before I can double check the likely Australian replacement value, however if you are fairly confident based on your knowledge of the car that similar models in Australia are worth around $47,000 then I will go ahead and use that figure for these calculations. If you wanted to look further into this then please let me know.

Based on the figures provided I have calculated that this car will cost you around $12,600 to get to Australia all up - this includes $8,870 for shipping, port fees, import duty, tax and customs clearance + $1,040 for paperwork costs + $2,690 for Australian compliance costs, road registration and stamp duty. Including the current vehicle value this means the car would owe you around $37,700 altogether which is a fair amount under the estimated Australian value.

Please let me know if you needed to know any more, or if we can help you move forward with this.

Cheers,

Craig.

Hi Kakimoto33/ Ironchief,

Firstly, thanks so much for the very useful information on here, it's be sooooooo helpful! Our details are as follows:

1 - 2006 Toyota Prius 5 Door Liftback. Engine is 1497cc. 93,000 miles and it has aircon. The car is automatic.

2 - Current market value in UK: £5.5k - £6k.

3 - Price on redbook is between $10.7k and $14k

If you could please provide a category we would be very grateful! Doubtful but let the experts suggest otherwise!!

Thanks !

Thanks for the positive comments, its nice to know that we are helping.

Now for the bad news. Even if we use the lowest values to calculate shipping and import costs and assume the highest possible Australian market value it doesn't work out favorably. We calculate that including all costs needed to get this car into Australia and on the road you would be looking at around $7,250 give or take.

Once you work out this cost added to the current vehicle value it means that it would owe considerably more than a similar vehicle in Australia, so unless you have a special attachment to this specific vehicle then it would be a better option to just sell it in the UK and buy something else when you get to Australia. On the other hand if you know and love your car and were planning to keep it for a long time then it may be worthwhile in your mind, in which case we would be more than happy to help you through the process still.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest nimhug

Craig,

Thought as much! Will get it listed and hopefully sell it off a home! Don't have that much love to go through all that paperwork! Cheers though - appreciate it !

Guest valentina7474

We are moving to AUS very soon, Is it worth to bring Ford Mondeo titanium X sport disel manual , 45.000miles . Its worth 12.000 Pounds in UK???? Cant find the same model in Aus but look like its appr $AUS 30.000,but not sure . Please help me . Many thanks ,Valentina

Guest Guest67761
We are moving to AUS very soon, Is it worth to bring Ford Mondeo titanium X sport disel manual , 45.000miles . Its worth 12.000 Pounds in UK???? Cant find the same model in Aus but look like its appr $AUS 30.000,but not sure . Please help me . Many thanks ,Valentina

Hi there Valentina,

I would be happy to help out but I need a little more information first:

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

- engine size & fuel type

- transmission

- mileage

- any special features or options

- does it have aircon

- realistic current UK market value

- Australian market value (if known)

- city/state you will be moving to

Let me know and I will do some calculations for you.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest valentina777

Please give me a clear answer if its worth to take it with me (im going to Sydney in 6 months ) for my Ford Mondeo ,hatchback ,year2009 X titanium Sport, 45000 miles . 2,2 liter ,disel, manual , aircon, , going to Sydney .Value inUK 11,000 pounds ,in Aus around 30K AUS ,PLEASE let me know ASAP !! THANX

Guest valentina777
Hi there Valentina,

I would be happy to help out but I need a little more information first:

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

- engine size & fuel type

- transmission

- mileage

- any special features or options

- does it have aircon

- realistic current UK market value

- Australian market value (if known)

- city/state you will be moving to

Let me know and I will do some calculations for you.

Regards,

Craig.

Please give me a clear answer if its worth to take it with me (im going to Sydney in 6 months ) for my Ford Mondeo ,hatchback ,year2009 X titanium Sport, 45000 miles . 2,2 liter ,disel, manual , aircon, , going to Sydney .Value inUK 11,000 pounds ,in Aus around 30K AUS ,PLEASE let me know ASAP !! THANX

Guest Guest67761

Based on the figures you have provided it should cost just over $10,000 in total to get this car to Australia and to go through all of the process to get it road registered. This includes around $6,820 for shipping costs, customs clearance, port fee, import duty and taxes + $1,040 for paperwork and our fee + around $2,175 for on-road costs.

If you take into account your estimated current value plus the costs needed to get it on the road in Australia it will end up owing you around $27,500 all up. If it's worth around $30,000 in Australia then there would be a saving to be made by bringing it with you however it's not a massive saving so it would be up to you to decide if the time and hassle of importing would be worthwhile. Things to consider in the equation would include difficulty in selling the car in the UK, having to purchase another car when you get to Australia compared with keeping the car you are familiar with already, the time frame involved in the importing process (maybe 10-14 weeks?), and of course the financial side of things too.

I hope this helps a little with your decision making process. If you were thinking about bringing the car to Australia then we would certainly be happy to help you out.

Best wishes,

Craig.

Guest Tolley Family

Hi Craig,

Would it be worth bringing our car over with us to Perth?

Honda Accord - 2008

42,000 miles on the clock

Air-con

Diesel

Manual

All the extras like built in sat nav, parking sensors all round, reversing parking camera etc.

Valued in the UK at £13,500

My Aussie friend has said that she's seen a "similar" model for sale at $23,000.

Thank Nat :-)

Guest Guest67761
Hi Craig,

Would it be worth bringing our car over with us to Perth?

Honda Accord - 2008

42,000 miles on the clock

Air-con

Diesel

Manual

All the extras like built in sat nav, parking sensors all round, reversing parking camera etc.

Valued in the UK at £13,500

My Aussie friend has said that she's seen a "similar" model for sale at $23,000.

Thank Nat :-)

Hi there Nat,

Unfortunately we never got the Accord in a diesel variant here in Australia at that time so there is nothing to really compare it with directly so I will just have to do a calculation based on the figures you have provided at this stage. Based on these figures we calculate that the costs to bring this car to Australia should be roughly as follows:

$1,491 ocean freight

$214 shipping insurance (optional)

$1,500 customs fees (estimated)

$863 import duty

$1,982 GST

$50 import approval

$990 Iron Lady Imports fee

$800 ADR compliance

$150 roadworthy requirements

$600 road registration

$474 stamp duty

This makes the total cost somewhere around $9,113 give or take depending on the final valuation for Australian Customs. With this cost in added to the current car value it means that this car would end up owing you somewhere around $30,000 in total which is more than it would cost to get a suitable replacement here in Australia. Based on this I would not suggest this to be a good vehicle to bring as a personal import.

Best wishes,

Craig.

Guest beever86

1)2000, BMW, 316i SE, 82,000 miles, aircon, 1.895cc, Petrol, Manual, saloon (4 door), no distinctive features (standard)

Guest beever86

1) 2000, BMW, 316i SE, 82,000 miles, aircon, 1.895cc, Petrol, Manual, saloon (5 door), no distinctive features (standard)

2) bought for 2000 stg

3) private $4,900 - 6,700: trade in $2,700 - 4,500 (3 door, there was no prices for my model, this was the closest)

Guest Guest67761
1) 2000, BMW, 316i SE, 82,000 miles, aircon, 1.895cc, Petrol, Manual, saloon (5 door), no distinctive features (standard)

2) bought for 2000 stg

3) private $4,900 - 6,700: trade in $2,700 - 4,500 (3 door, there was no prices for my model, this was the closest)

Even working with the highest possible price range you listed for the Australian value it still works out to be a poor choice to import to Australia as the car will end up owing you more than it would be worth. I would suggest that you look at selling this one before you leave and bu something new when you arrive in Australia unless you are strongly attached to this car and money is not a real concern.

Best wishes,

Craig.

Guest mbslkfirst

Dear Iron Chef,

I am thinking about shipping my car I am wondering what your thoughts are- whether I should go ahead or not.

Mercedes Benz

SLK200 Kompressor (R171)

1.8cc, manual, 2005, 72000 miles, air con present

price in UK= £8500

price in Australia= $30,000 (private sale, redbook - lower end due to mileage)

I will be shipping it to Perth from UK in Sep 2012.

I would also be interested what help you or your contacts can offer and the cost involved. also any idea what compliance issues it may have?

look forward to hear from you soon

thanks a lot

Guest Guest67761
Dear Iron Chef,

I am thinking about shipping my car I am wondering what your thoughts are- whether I should go ahead or not.

Mercedes Benz

SLK200 Kompressor (R171)

1.8cc, manual, 2005, 72000 miles, air con present

price in UK= £8500

price in Australia= $30,000 (private sale, redbook - lower end due to mileage)

I will be shipping it to Perth from UK in Sep 2012.

I would also be interested what help you or your contacts can offer and the cost involved. also any idea what compliance issues it may have?

look forward to hear from you soon

thanks a lot

Based on the figures you have provided the costs should be roughly as follows with the current exchange rate, shipping costs, an estimated Australian Customs valuation, etc.

$990 Iron Lady Imports fee ('A' package)

$50 import approval application

$1,509 ocean freight

$136 shipping insurance (optional)

$1,500 customs clearance (estimated)

$1,125 import duty

$2,527 GST

$950 ADR compliance / roadworthy

$600 road registration (12 months)

$619 stamp duty

This should be everything required to get the car into Australia and on the road assuming there are no unexpected surprises along the way. Looking at these costs it works out that the car will end up owing you around $6,300 less that a similar vehicle in Australia, therefore it would be a very good vehicle to bring with you.

The estimated compliance cost is just an average because there is no way to know what might be required exactly for each car until the engineer has it in his workshop to check over it properly. Typically there is very little required for European models like yours so this ballpark figure should be about right.

I hope this helps get you started with the decision but from what I can see it seems like an excellent prospect. Please let me know if you have any other questions at all, or if you wanted to get the process started keeping in mind that it can take a couple of months quite easily even though they say only 3 weeks for import approvals to be processed.

Best wishes,

Craig.