Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

Hi Craig, thanks for letting me know, advice much appreciated.

[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]

Being a smaller engine than what was available in Australia will lower the value and make this car harder to eventually sell. Based on the likely market value here for your car I would suggest selling it before you leave as it will likely end of owing you around $5,000 more than it would be worth, so you would be better off selling if you can get close to the €6,500 estimated current value.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi Iron Chef,

- Peugeot 3008 HDi Exclusive

- 5 door hatchback

- 2.0 L Diesel

- Manual

- Front wheel drive

- 22000 miles

- Integrated Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Leather Interior, Metallic paint, Roofbars

- Aircon - Yes

- UK value - approx £9000

- Australian RedBook value - $29,800 - $32,900 for closest I could find

- Australian market value - $32500 for nearest

- Sydney

We are migrating in January next year so this will really help us to decide whether to import or buy

Thanks!

Guest Guest67761
Hi Iron Chef,

- Peugeot 3008 HDi Exclusive

- 5 door hatchback

- 2.0 L Diesel

- Manual

- Front wheel drive

- 22000 miles

- Integrated Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Leather Interior, Metallic paint, Roofbars

- Aircon - Yes

- UK value - approx £9000

- Australian RedBook value - $29,800 - $32,900 for closest I could find

- Australian market value - $32500 for nearest

- Sydney

We are migrating in January next year so this will really help us to decide whether to import or buy

Thanks!

Based on the figures you have provided you should be looking at costs as follows:

-- shipping costs --

$1,461 ocean freight

$140 shipping insurance (optional)

$1,500 customs & port fees

$960 import duty

$2,176 GST

-- road registration costs --

$750 ADR compliance

$150 roadworthy requirements

$600 registration (12 months)

$576 stamp duty

-- other costs --

$50 import approval application

$990 Iron Lady Imports fee ('A' Package)

If you add the costs to get it on-road in Australia to the current value it works out that it should owe you somewhere around $23,400 AUD therefore assuming it was worth in excess of $30,000 you would have an easy choice to bring this car with you.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, if there is anything else I can do for you, or if you wanted to get the process started.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports.

Ok I've been having a tinker with this for a little while and think I've got it pretty close. I've developed an Excel spreadsheet that provides an estimate of whether or not your car is

Category A: definitely worth bringing, you'll do nicely out of it when the time comes to sell

Category B: only worth bringing if you love the car and/or plan to keep it for a while

Category C: not worth the aggro, you're better off selling it in the UK

*Disclaimers* - the estimates are based on the following:

1) using our most complete 'A Package' service at AUD990 (it's set up for our customers, obviously!)

2) using RORO shipping from Southampton (does not include transport to get your car to the port)

3) the current GBP/AUD exchange rate

4) an estimated Australian Customs value calculated for your specific vehicle

5) includes customs duty, GST and LCT where necessary

6) a set figure for customs clearance (which I've deliberately set higher than what they normally come in at)

7) includes the cost of Australian Customs valuation and transport to the workshop once cleared

8) includes allowance for the minor modifications needed before registration

9) includes road registration and stamp duty costs (for a "no surprises" all inclusive cost estimate)

As you can see, I've tried to be as upfront about the costs of getting the vehicle to Australia, and I have actually over-allowed on what many bills come in at. There are a heap of variables in here and each car is different, so don't be disheartened if you get a category C - the calculator isn't meant to be the ultimate authority, but it will give you a fair guide.

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

- engine size & fuel type

- transmission

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

- mileage

- any special features, options or modification

- does it have aircon

- realistic current UK market value

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

- which Australian state/city

Please note when you are searching that most Vauxhall, Opel and some Chevrolet models will be badged as Holden in Australia.

Let's test it out

Ok me again, is it worth taking.

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture 2004

- make, model & variant BMW X3 2.5i sport

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) estate

- engine size & fuel type 2.5 petrol

- transmission automatic

- mileage 49000 miles

- does it have aircon unsure

- realistic current UK market value £7000

Thanks again

Nicola

Hi Iron Lady,

Looking for your advice please on the following:

2004 (late)

BMW 520 E39 SE i

saloon

2.2 petrol

manual transmission

rear wheel drive

65000 Miles

Has air conditioning

Current Uk value - 6k roughly

Rough Australian Value - Taking a guess of $20,000 as I cant find this exact model anywhere.I found some 530s and 525s that were in the 26-30 range...

Queensland - Brisbane

Thanks for your help...

Guest Guest67761
Ok me again, is it worth taking.

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture 2004

- make, model & variant BMW X3 2.5i sport

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) estate

- engine size & fuel type 2.5 petrol

- transmission automatic

- mileage 49000 miles

- does it have aircon unsure

- realistic current UK market value £7000

Thanks again

Nicola

Initial calculations work show that it would likely end up owing you around $3,000 to $4,000 less than a similar vehicle in Australia, therefore I would expect that it was a reasonable vehicle to bring with you if you wanted to keep it for a while or just didn't want the hassle of selling it before you leave, however there is not a massive saving so it's not really a good one if you were looking to sell it here immediately to make additional profit as there is just not a huge margin there.

Let me know if you needed any more information at all.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi, details below

Toyota Auris 2007 (57)

D-4D turbo diesel 2.0 litre

Manual, front wheel drive

Keyless entry & stop/start

60000 miles

Air con

5 door

Approx value uk £6000

Oz value - they don't have the Auris listed but a Yaris which is smaller, is listed as £15190-£22290

Any ideas?

Edited by thinkinofemigrating

Audi TT quattro 1.8 (180bhp)

coupe

transmission manual

petrol

leather seats

aircon and climate control

mileage 105000

current UK value approx 4k

will have owned this car for 12 months in August, looking to bring it with us when we head out to Adelaide, hopefully sometime between Sept and Dec this year. Looking to get an idea of the costs involved and what to do and when x

Guest Guest67761
Hi, details below

Toyota Auris 2007 (57)

D-4D turbo diesel 2.0 litre

Manual, front wheel drive

Keyless entry & stop/start

60000 miles

Air con

5 door

Approx value uk £6000

Oz value - they don't have the Auris listed but a Yaris which is smaller, is listed as £15190-£22290

Any ideas?

The Toyota Auris was sold in Australia as a Corolla although not in a diesel engine variant, only a 1.8L petrol version, so even knowing that the 2.0L diesel would be a far superior vehicle it could still be worth less than an Australian model simply because it is different and the majority of used car buyers fear what is different. Either way I think it would not be a wise vehicle to import based purely on financial reasons, however if you like the car and wanted to keep it for a while then resale value might not be a major concern, in which case it might still be an option for you.

If you did choose to import this car you would be looking at costs roughly as follows:

-- shipping costs --

$1,464 ocean freight

$93 shipping insurance (optional)

$105 import duty

$376 GST

$600 ADR compliance

$84 stamp duty

-- other costs --

Please let me know if you need any more information or if you are interested in finding out more about the process.

Regards,

Craig.

Audi TT quattro 1.8 (180bhp)

coupe

transmission manual

petrol

leather seats

aircon and climate control

mileage 105000

current UK value approx 4k

will have owned this car for 12 months in August, looking to bring it with us when we head out to Adelaide, hopefully sometime between Sept and Dec this year. Looking to get an idea of the costs involved and what to do and when x

Here is an estimate of the costs involved in bringing this car to Adelaide and getting it on-road there:

-- shipping costs --

$1,885 ocean freight

$62 shipping insurance (optional)

$440 import duty

$1,119 GST

$700 ADR compliance

$292 stamp duty

-- other costs --

Overall it seems to be a good vehicle to bring with you based on the numbers alone, so assuming it's a good car then I would probably suggest bringing it along for the ride.

The process can take a while so the sooner you get started the better. You are not supposed to submit your application for import approval until you have owned the car for at least 12 months but as it takes around 3 weeks to work its way to the top of the pile for processing its normally fairly safe to send it in a couple of weeks early. I would look at getting the paperwork together as early as possible so you have it ready, then send it in shortly before the 12 months ownership period is up.

Once you have the import approval it will still take around 33 days to arrive in Adelaide and there is only one ship every month. Another week or so for customs clearance, maybe 3-4 weeks for Australian compliance and road registration.

Please let me know if you have any other questions at all. I am always happy to help.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi Craig,

I think you might have missed my post on the previous page...

2004 (late)

BMW 520 E39 SE i

saloon

2.2 petrol

manual transmission

rear wheel drive

65000 Miles

Has air conditioning

Rough Australian Value - Taking a guess of $20,000 as I cant find this exact model anywhere.I found some 530s and 525s that were in the 26-30 range...

Queensland - Brisbane

Thanks for your help...

Hi Craig,

Looking to pick your brains on this one.....

VW Golf GTi MK5 2006

2.0L Petrol

Manual

50,000 miles

Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Built In Sat Nav

We're moving to WA towards the end of the year so have valued it as a 2005 model which gives us

UK Value £8000 approx

Aus Value $15,600 to $18,000

We're also looking at shipping it with our Household Goods to reduce the cost.

Thanks again for your invaluable advice!!!!

Alan

Hi,

I am going to sell my vauxhall astra 1.9 and buy something more suitable and valuable to take over to Australia. What would you recommend??? I was looking at a 2002 Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTi 3 dr coupe, worth £1000 in uk and on redbook i see similar ones advertised at around $33000 is this correct? can u help????

Iron chef can you give info, we have a Mercedes e240 elegance yr 2002, auto, full leather, aircon, Unleaded fuel, 80.000 miles uk value £3800 carsales.com.au, qlnd $22,000 $25,000

We bought the car in 2002, still looks and drives like new, this car is mint for the year.

Thanks

Edited by proview

Hi,

I am going to sell my vauxhall astra 1.9 and buy something more suitable and valuable to take over to Australia. What would you recommend??? I was looking at a 2002 Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTi 3 dr coupe, worth £1000 in uk and on redbook i see similar ones advertised at around $33000 is this correct? can u help????

That's the original new price you've quoted, you'll need to choose a model and check the trade/private prices.

Guest Guest67761
Hi Craig,

I think you might have missed my post on the previous page...

2004 (late)

BMW 520 E39 SE i

saloon

2.2 petrol

manual transmission

rear wheel drive

65000 Miles

Has air conditioning

Queensland - Brisbane

Thanks for your help...

Sorry for not spotting your previous post, the thread moves fast sometimes so the occasional one slips through the cracks. With just a quick calculation it works out that you would be up for the following costs roughly:

-- shipping costs --

$1,473 ocean freight

$94 shipping insurance (optional)

$473 import duty

$1,149 GST

$700 ADR compliance

$331 stamp duty

-- other costs --

This would end up with the car owing you somewhere around $17,000 all up including the current value, so that it a little below the market value of a similar model 525i here in Australia. If you were looking to bring the car for your own personal use for a while then it would be a reasonable option, otherwise if you were looking to resell it here immediately then maybe not so much as Australian buyers tend to like bigger engines which is why the 2500cc was the smallest sold in the first place.

Let me know if you have any other questions or need any advice at all.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi Craig,

Looking to pick your brains on this one.....

VW Golf GTi MK5 2006

2.0L Petrol

Manual

50,000 miles

Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Built In Sat Nav

We're moving to WA towards the end of the year so have valued it as a 2005 model which gives us

UK Value £8000 approx

Aus Value $15,600 to $18,000

We're also looking at shipping it with our Household Goods to reduce the cost.

Thanks again for your invaluable advice!!!!

Alan

Hi Alan,

Based on the figures you provided we have done a calculation using an Australian value of around $16,000 so although your car may be worth more here this is a good basis for the calculation:

-- shipping costs --

$1,473 ocean freight

$125 shipping insurance (optional)

$420 import duty

$1,042 GST

$800 ADR compliance

$231 stamp duty

-- other costs --

Please let me know closer to the time if you are keen to bring the car with you, or let me know if you had any other questions at all in the meantime.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi,

This model Celica is probably worth somewhere around $11,000 to $14,000 here in Australia, so using an average value of around $12,000 and a UK purchase price of around £1,000 you would have the following costs:

-- shipping costs --

$1,473 ocean freight

$39 shipping insurance (optional)

$175 import duty

$519 GST

$700 ADR compliance

$96 stamp duty

-- other costs --

All up this car would owe you around $8,000 on the road in Australia which is a decent saving over buying the same model here in Australia. It would not be a bad option at all. Another good option along similar lines is a Mazda RX-8 if you can get a good one for around £1,500 to £2,000 as they hold their value very well in Australia.

Of course you would have to make sure you buy the car with enough time to satisfy the minimum 12 months ownership criteria for the personal import scheme, so if you were going to buy a car now you couldn't move to Australia before June or July 2013. Let me know if you need any more information at all.

Regards,

Craig.

Iron chef can you give info, we have a Mercedes e240 elegance yr 2002, auto, full leather, aircon, Unleaded fuel, 80.000 miles uk value £3800 carsales.com.au, qlnd $22,000 $25,000

We bought the car in 2002, still looks and drives like new, this car is mint for the year.

Thanks

It sounds like a nice car so it could be worth somewhere in the higher end of the scale here in Australia, possibly somewhere around $26,000 or more even depending on just how nice it is, however for import cost calculations it would be based on an average to lower end vehicle which is good news as it would cost you less. With this in mind we calculated your costs to be as follows give or take a little:

-- shipping costs --

$1,473 ocean freight

$60 shipping insurance (optional)

$600 import duty

$1,413 GST

$700 ADR compliance

$420 stamp duty

-- other costs --

When all costs are added to the current vehicle value it works out that it would end up owing you somewhere around $14,000 in total which is well below the likely resale value in Australia. This car would be a perfect example to bring with you to Australia. I would strongly suggest that you contact me when you are ready to get the ball rolling (around 2 months before you actually move) so we can make sure we have everything ready for you.

Regards,

Craig.

Sorry for not spotting your previous post, the thread moves fast sometimes so the occasional one slips through the cracks. With just a quick calculation it works out that you would be up for the following costs roughly:

-- shipping costs --

$1,473 ocean freight

$94 shipping insurance (optional)

$473 import duty

$1,149 GST

$700 ADR compliance

$331 stamp duty

-- other costs --

This would end up with the car owing you somewhere around $17,000 all up including the current value, so that it a little below the market value of a similar model 525i here in Australia. If you were looking to bring the car for your own personal use for a while then it would be a reasonable option, otherwise if you were looking to resell it here immediately then maybe not so much as Australian buyers tend to like bigger engines which is why the 2500cc was the smallest sold in the first place.

Let me know if you have any other questions or need any advice at all.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi Alan,

Based on the figures you provided we have done a calculation using an Australian value of around $16,000 so although your car may be worth more here this is a good basis for the calculation:

-- shipping costs --

$1,473 ocean freight

$125 shipping insurance (optional)

$420 import duty

$1,042 GST

$800 ADR compliance

$231 stamp duty

-- other costs --

Please let me know closer to the time if you are keen to bring the car with you, or let me know if you had any other questions at all in the meantime.

Regards,

Craig.

This model Celica is probably worth somewhere around $11,000 to $14,000 here in Australia, so using an average value of around $12,000 and a UK purchase price of around £1,000 you would have the following costs:

-- shipping costs --

$1,473 ocean freight

$39 shipping insurance (optional)

$175 import duty

$519 GST

$700 ADR compliance

$96 stamp duty

-- other costs --

All up this car would owe you around $8,000 on the road in Australia which is a decent saving over buying the same model here in Australia. It would not be a bad option at all. Another good option along similar lines is a Mazda RX-8 if you can get a good one for around £1,500 to £2,000 as they hold their value very well in Australia.

Of course you would have to make sure you buy the car with enough time to satisfy the minimum 12 months ownership criteria for the personal import scheme, so if you were going to buy a car now you couldn't move to Australia before June or July 2013. Let me know if you need any more information at all.

Regards,

Craig.

It sounds like a nice car so it could be worth somewhere in the higher end of the scale here in Australia, possibly somewhere around $26,000 or more even depending on just how nice it is, however for import cost calculations it would be based on an average to lower end vehicle which is good news as it would cost you less. With this in mind we calculated your costs to be as follows give or take a little:

-- shipping costs --

$1,473 ocean freight

$60 shipping insurance (optional)

$600 import duty

$1,413 GST

$700 ADR compliance

$420 stamp duty

-- other costs --

When all costs are added to the current vehicle value it works out that it would end up owing you somewhere around $14,000 in total which is well below the likely resale value in Australia. This car would be a perfect example to bring with you to Australia. I would strongly suggest that you contact me when you are ready to get the ball rolling (around 2 months before you actually move) so we can make sure we have everything ready for you.

Regards,

Craig.

Craig, thanks for the info, the problem I have her is we leave the uk on the 5th Sept 12, this option of shipping the car was only last min thought, we already have a sole use 20ft container with a company for shipping our stuff over, so what do you suggest???

Hi Iron Chef

Make: Vauxhall Zafira Energy

2007 model

1.6i Petrol

Estimated UK value: £4300

Mileage: 35000 miles

Has aircon :-)

Estimated AUS value (for an equivalent sized and age car AUD 23000

The Toyota Auris was sold in Australia as a Corolla although not in a diesel engine variant, only a 1.8L petrol version, so even knowing that the 2.0L diesel would be a far superior vehicle it could still be worth less than an Australian model simply because it is different and the majority of used car buyers fear what is different. Either way I think it would not be a wise vehicle to import based purely on financial reasons, however if you like the car and wanted to keep it for a while then resale value might not be a major concern, in which case it might still be an option for you.

If you did choose to import this car you would be looking at costs roughly as follows:

-- shipping costs --

$1,464 ocean freight

$93 shipping insurance (optional)

$105 import duty

$376 GST

$600 ADR compliance

$84 stamp duty

-- other costs --

Please let me know if you need any more information or if you are interested in finding out more about the process.

Regards,

Craig.

Here is an estimate of the costs involved in bringing this car to Adelaide and getting it on-road there:

-- shipping costs --

$1,885 ocean freight

$62 shipping insurance (optional)

$440 import duty

$1,119 GST

$700 ADR compliance

$292 stamp duty

-- other costs --

Overall it seems to be a good vehicle to bring with you based on the numbers alone, so assuming it's a good car then I would probably suggest bringing it along for the ride.

The process can take a while so the sooner you get started the better. You are not supposed to submit your application for import approval until you have owned the car for at least 12 months but as it takes around 3 weeks to work its way to the top of the pile for processing its normally fairly safe to send it in a couple of weeks early. I would look at getting the paperwork together as early as possible so you have it ready, then send it in shortly before the 12 months ownership period is up.

Once you have the import approval it will still take around 33 days to arrive in Adelaide and there is only one ship every month. Another week or so for customs clearance, maybe 3-4 weeks for Australian compliance and road registration.

Please let me know if you have any other questions at all. I am always happy to help.

Regards,

Craig.

many thanks for this Craig, don't think my husband can part with this car so looks like its coming with us :biggrin: will give it another couple of weeks then get back in touch to see what way we're going to do this x

Guest Guest67761
Craig, thanks for the info, the problem I have her is we leave the uk on the 5th Sept 12, this option of shipping the car was only last min thought, we already have a sole use 20ft container with a company for shipping our stuff over, so what do you suggest???

If you aren't leaving until September then you should have plenty of time to apply for the import approval (around 3-6 weeks normally) and arrange shipping to Australia (maybe 1-3 weeks). If you wanted to send the car ahead then it would take around 4-5 weeks to get here, plus another 3-6 weeks for everything else at this end before it was ready to drive, otherwise you could send the car around the time you leave and wait for it to be ready after you are here.

Either way I think if you can work it out one way or another with whatever requirements you have for a vehicle to use before you leave and/or when you arrive in Australia then it would be a good vehicle to bring along for sure. You should look at applying for the import approval soon as it only costs $50, then you have the option to ship the car or not as the time comes closer. If you leave it too late without applying for the import approval then you have no options.

If you wanted to discuss options further and/or look at starting the paperwork for the import approval application at least, then please email me at craig@ironladyimports.com

Regards,

Craig.

Guest Guest67761
Hi Iron Chef

Make: Vauxhall Zafira Energy

2007 model

1.6i Petrol

Estimated UK value: £4300

Mileage: 35000 miles

Has aircon :-)

Estimated AUS value (for an equivalent sized and age car AUD 23000

Assuming your estimated Australian value is correct without doing too much research on it myself then it would work out very well to import this car to Australia, however I would want to check out that valuation carefully to make sure that is a realistic market price for this car. I know these were not a very popular model here in Australia which is why they stopped selling them in 2005, so you may find that it's worth a little less than other similar models which were still sold here in 2007 even if they have very similar specification.

if you wanted a more detailed answer and cost calculation then please email me as much information as possible about the car, including photos if possible, and let me know what other make/model you were using to base your estimated Australian value, then I can do some additional research to help you further. My email address is craig@ironladyimports.com

Regards,

Craig.

If I was to import my car would I get a reduced rate if I sold it on again as it would be registered as an Import, lets say my Mercedes model is E240 Australian sells at $25000 on carsales.com, what would my uk E240 sell at ?

also how long would I have to keep my UK car for before I sold it on?

Guest Guest67761
If I was to import my car would I get a reduced rate if I sold it on again as it would be registered as an Import, lets say my Mercedes model is E240 Australian sells at $25000 on carsales.com, what would my uk E240 sell at ?

also how long would I have to keep my UK car for before I sold it on?

Imported cars in Australia are not registered any differently to any other cars on the road. They do have a small sticker fitted inside the engine bay or somewhere similar proving that they meet Australian Design Rules, but there is no way to know it was imported just by looking at the car otherwise. As long as the car is the same make, model and specification that was sold in Australia and it has a reasonable history to offer any potential buyers then there is no reason it should sell for less than a similar car here in Australia.

Things that cause imported cars to sell for less include the following:

- being different specification to what was sold in Australia. If the smallest engine sold here was 2.5L and you imported one with a smaller 2.0L engine then it would be less desirable and therefore sell for less.

- having different features or options, eg. all late model BMW 350D models in Australia were sold with leather interior and automatic transmission, so if you imported a UK model with no leather and manual transmission it would be less valuable.

- cars with unknown history and/or mileage. If it's an older car that appears in rougher condition without records or history then it could cause doubt about its real mileage.

- newer cars which should still be under factory warranty in Australia. Obviously a warranty would be useless in Australia if its covered by Mercedes Benz in the UK.

It also depends on how you sell the car and who is looking at buying it. Used car dealers will try anything to buy a car for less so they would certainly push the point that they think an imported car is worth less, however I can assure you that they would sell it again for the same price as any other car. There may be a small number of private buyers who just won't buy an imported vehicle regardless and others who wouldn't care either way, but the majority of buyer would have no clue that it's an imported car and probably wouldn't have any problem buying as long as the car was what they wanted and there were no issues with it. If you start off expecting it to sell for less then that is most likely what you will end up with, however if you present the car well, have all of the servicing paperwork available, etc. then you should have no trouble as with selling any other car.

There is no limit on selling an imported car, so you can sell it anytime you like.

Edited by Guest67761