Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

Hi Iron Chef,

Please could you give me some feed back on the fleet !

Many thanks

JB

Landrover

Defender 90

Van

2.5 Tdi

Manual

4WD

57000 Miles

No Mods

No AC – Quote for 2k (AUD) to install

£5995 GBP

AUD 10800

AUD 14500

WA

Honda

CRV

2.0 Petrol

Automatic

4WD

45000 miles

Sun Roof

Air Con

£6500

AUD 10995 2.4 model no 2.0 model listed

AUD 12880 – 17900 2.4 model no 2.0 model listed

WA

Jaguar

XJS

3.6 Petrol

Manual

RWD

29000 miles

Air Con – needs refill

£2995

AUD 7550 – couldn’t find exact model (5.3 Auto)

AUD 19000 – 5.3 Auto only one on Carsales for WA other states 10k – 22k

WA

Guest Guest67761
Hi Iron Chef can you tell me if its worth me taking my car to OZ please? If its worth it ill be well chuffed shes my pride and joy

Its a Mitsubishi Shogun 4X4 fully loaded with AIR-CON, PANORAMIC ROOF, DVD, SAT-NAV, SIDE STEPS, PRIVACY GLASS, REVERSING CAMERA, CLIMATE +

2008 CRUISE CONTROL, XENON LIGHTS, PARKING SENSORS think thats about it.

Turbo Diesel 3.2 DI-DC ELEGANCE

7 seater Automatic 80,000 miles

I think the nearest you do out in OZ is the Pajero which is pretty similar and the UK price i paid was £10500 OZ price $39,000-$43000

Thanks.

With the information you have provided it seems that this vehicle would be well worth bringing with you to Australia. The costs work out to be roughly as follows:

-- shipping costs --

$1,950 ocean freight

$163 insurance (optional)

$1,500 customs & port fees

$863 import duty

$2,023 GST

-- road registration costs --

$800 ADR compliance

$150 roadworthy requirements

$600 registration (12 months)

$474 stamp duty

-- other costs --

$50 import approval application

$990 Iron Lady Imports fee ('A' Package)

When added together it works out that this vehicle should end up owing you between $6,000 and $10,000 less than a similar vehicle in Australia.

Let me know when you were planning to leave for Australia so I can advise further on how to proceed?

Regards,

Craig

Iron Lady Imports

Guest Guest67761
Hi Iron Chef,

Please could you give me some feed back on the fleet !

Many thanks

JB

Landrover

Defender 90

Van

2.5 Tdi

Manual

4WD

57000 Miles

No Mods

No AC – Quote for 2k (AUD) to install

£5995 GBP

AUD 10800

AUD 14500

WA

Honda

CRV

2.0 Petrol

Automatic

4WD

45000 miles

Sun Roof

Air Con

£6500

AUD 10995 2.4 model no 2.0 model listed

AUD 12880 – 17900 2.4 model no 2.0 model listed

WA

Jaguar

XJS

3.6 Petrol

Manual

RWD

29000 miles

Air Con – needs refill

£2995

AUD 7550 – couldn’t find exact model (5.3 Auto)

AUD 19000 – 5.3 Auto only one on Carsales for WA other states 10k – 22k

WA

Please note that for all of these cars I will quote with our full 'A' Package service fee @ $990 however you may choose to use one of our other packages. If you do use our full service and bring more than one car then we will discount the fee to only $660 for additional cars.

1998 Landrover Defender 90

It seems that the only Landrover Defender models sold in Australia in 1998 were the 110 and 130 variants. Not being a Landrover expert I can't say what the difference in value is likely to be between these and the 90 model you have, so I will make a best guess for the valuation to calculate import costs.

-- shipping costs --

$1,950 ocean freight

$93 insurance (optional)

$320 import duty

$876 GST

$800 ADR compliance

$176 stamp duty

-- other costs --

I can't advise if this is worthwhile importing or not because it will really depend on just how nice the vehicle is, how much you are attached to it, etc. I expect that having quite low mileage compared to others around it could be a very clean example and therefore quite hard to replace. Let me know if you decide that you wanted to bring this one and I will try to look into it a little further for you.

2004 Honda CR-V

I don't think this one would be worth importing with the smaller engine than what was available here as this will obviously mean a lower price and harder sale when the time comes to let it go. Based on some quick calculations it looks like it would end up owing a few thousand more than it would cost to buy a similar vehicle with the bigger 2.4L engine once you get to Australia. If you believe that this car is worth a lot more than average for some reason, or you are really attached to it and wanted to keep it, then please let me know and I will go through the figures in more detail for you.

1988 Jaguar XJS

If the Jag has a genuine 29k miles and is in the condition you would expect for such low mileage then it could possibly be worth a lot more than others around, which is good news because they aren't worth much in Australia with high mileage. It could be worth anything from around $4,000 to as much as $20,000.

Being a 1988 model it's able to be imported under the pre-1989 laws which could save a little on ADR compliance over the other cars, also as you are only allowed one car per person under the Personal Import Scheme it means that you could bring this car also in addition to one or both of the others.

-- shipping costs --

$1,455 ocean freight

$46 insurance (optional)

$105 import duty

$371 GST

$500 ADR compliance

$58 stamp duty

-- other costs --

I hope this information helps. Please let me know what questions you have as I am sure there will be at least a few things you needed to know after reading this lot.

Regards,

Craig

Iron Lady Imports

Hi Iron Chef,

Could you give me a rough idea on costs for the below?

Cheers,

Kev

Audi A6 3.2 FSI V6

Saloon

3.2L Petrol

Manual

FWD

28000 Miles

Air Con Yes

UK Value - Approx 15 - 20k

Aus Value - Approx 45-50k

NSW

Edited by KevR

Hi there, just testing the waters with this idea...

Moving out to Oz in aug and would love to consider bringing my classic mini Cooper over with me.

Make- Rover

Model- Mini Cooper

Year -1998

Engine 1.3i (34,000 on clock)

Manual

Uk price- valued at £5,000+

Seen advertised for $15-27,000 in Oz

The car has been totally rebuilt by myself, so something I never plan on selling, cost me £11,000 over 4 years, so resale isnt important.

im just looking at a total cost of bring it to Oz.

Any advice would be great thanks :)

Hi Iron Chef

Great info,

My wheels are:

MGTF 160 Sunstorm (with removable hard top & A/C)

2 seater convertible

Manual 1.8

48,280km on the clock

UK value: £4,000

Oz value: $20,000 (rough guess)

Breakdown of costs would be great.

Thanks very much.

Sorry, extra details added

Hi Craig,

We are moving to Darwin in October, trying to decide if it's worthwhile bringing the following car-

1. BMW Z4 2.2i SE 2004

2. Convertible

3. Petrol, automatic, rear wheel drive

4. 68,000 miles/ 109,000 km

5. Cruise control, added storage, parrot MP3/phone/I pod, rear parking sensor

6. Air con

7. UK £6500

8. Australia red book: 21,500- 24,600 AUD

9. Car sales.com.au nearest equivalents $26,000- 30,000

Thanks in advance,

Kitty

Guest Guest67761

Hi Iron Chef,

Could you give me a rough idea on costs for the below?

Cheers,

Kev

Audi A6 3.2 FSI V6

Saloon

3.2L Petrol

Manual

4WD

27000 Miles

Air Con Yes

UK Value - Approx 15 - 20k

Aus Value - Approx 45-50k

NSW

Hi Kev,

Working on an average of the price ranges you have provided it should work out to cost roughly as follows based on relocation to Brisbane as an example. Costs will vary between states a little but this will give you an idea for starters:

-- shipping costs --

$1,462 ocean freight

$272 insurance (optional)

$1,320 import duty

$2,945 GST

$700 ADR compliance

$792 stamp duty

-- other costs --

Assuming these figures are correct then this would be a fairly good car to bring along as it would end up owing you around $7,000 to $12,000 less than replacement value in Australia.

Let me know if you had any other questions at all or if you wanted to get the ball rolling.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi there, just testing the waters with this idea...

Moving out to Oz in aug and would love to consider bringing my classic mini Cooper over with me.

Make- Rover

Model- Mini Cooper

Year -1998

Engine 1.3i (34,000 on clock)

Manual

Uk price- valued at £5,000+

Seen advertised for $15-27,000 in Oz

The car has been totally rebuilt by myself, so something I never plan on selling, cost me £11,000 over 4 years, so resale isnt important.

im just looking at a total cost of bring it to Oz.

Any advice would be great thanks :)

The total cost will depends mainly on the Australian Customs valuation which is used to calculate import duty, GST and stamp duty. Based on the range of Australian values you have provided it could work out as a total cost of anywhere between $7,000 and $8,600 depending on the final valuation. These prices are for shipping, import duty, taxes, customs clearance, ADR compliance, road registration, stamp duty costs, and our service fee - basically an all-in estimate.

Please let me know if you wanted a more accurate estimate based on your specific car. We can arrange a valuation in advance which will be acceptable for Australian Customs if you needed to know more exact costs before you actually proceed with the process.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi Iron Chef

Great info,

My wheels are:

MGTF 160 Sunstorm (with removable hard top & A/C)

2 seater convertible

Manual 1.8

48,280km on the clock

UK value: £4,000

Oz value: $20,000 (rough guess)

Breakdown of costs would be great.

Thanks very much.

Based on the figures you have provided you should be looking at costs roughly as follows:

-- shipping costs --

$1,462 ocean freight

$62 insurance (optional)

$528 import duty

$1,261 GST

$700 ADR compliance

$370 stamp duty

-- other costs --

This works out that your car would end up owing you around $13,900 which is quite a lot less than your estimated Australian value of arond $20,000 therefore I would think it was a good vehicle to bring with you.

I hope this was what you were looking to find out. Please let me know if you need to know more information or have any other questions at all.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi Craig,

We are moving to Darwin in October, trying to decide if it's worthwhile bringing the following car-

1. BMW Z4 2.2i SE 2004

2. Convertible

3. Petrol, automatic, rear wheel drive

4. 68,000 miles/ 109,000 km

5. Cruise control, added storage, parrot MP3/phone/I pod, rear parking sensor

6. Air con

7. UK £6500

8. Australia red book: 21,500- 24,600 AUD

9. Car sales.com.au nearest equivalents $26,000- 30,000

Thanks in advance,

Kitty

Hi Kitty,

You are the first request I have had for Darwin since I started with Iron Lady Imports a number of months back. It makes me happy because I did all of the calculations for Darwin and now I finally get to use them!

Based on an estimated Australian value of around $28,000 (average of the range you provided) and a current value of around £6,500 the calculation of your costs comes in as follows:

-- shipping costs --

$1,882 ocean freight (via Adelaide)

$1,400 inland transport (Adelaide to Darwin)

$101 insurance (optional)

$640 import duty

$1,542 GST

$600 ADR compliance

$384 stamp duty

-- other costs --

All up this gives you a total cost of around $9,839 which when added to the current vehicle value means this car would owe you around $19,950 which is a fair amount less than the likely Australian market value so I would suggest that it's a good option to bring with you based on this information.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, need clarification about the process at all, or just wanted to discuss it further.

Regards,

Craig.

Edited by Guest67761

Hi

we have a 2009 Nissan Primastar diesel manual crew cab. 6 seater van 2.0 short wheelbase with Aircon parking sensors electric windows cd etc. Owned from new and 20,000 miles on the clock

it is worth about £9-10k

It is exactly the same van as the Renault traffic and Vauxhall Vivaro- apparently they come out of the same factory and are just different badged, spec etc

We are going to Perth.

i can't find the red book value

Could you advise whether it is worth considering exporting it with us? Would we struggle with locating parts and resale? We will have a permanent visa.

Many thanks

Cathy

X

Ok I've been having a tinker with this for a little while and think I've got it pretty close. I've developed an Excel spreadsheet that provides an estimate of whether or not your car is

Category A: definitely worth bringing, you'll do nicely out of it when the time comes to sell

Category B: only worth bringing if you love the car and/or plan to keep it for a while

Category C: not worth the aggro, you're better off selling it in the UK

*Disclaimers* - the estimates are based on the following:

1) using our most complete 'A Package' service at AUD990 (it's set up for our customers, obviously!)

2) using RORO shipping from Southampton (does not include transport to get your car to the port)

3) the current GBP/AUD exchange rate

4) an estimated Australian Customs value calculated for your specific vehicle

5) includes customs duty, GST and LCT where necessary

6) a set figure for customs clearance (which I've deliberately set higher than what they normally come in at)

7) includes the cost of Australian Customs valuation and transport to the workshop once cleared

8) includes allowance for the minor modifications needed before registration

9) includes road registration and stamp duty costs (for a "no surprises" all inclusive cost estimate)

As you can see, I've tried to be as upfront about the costs of getting the vehicle to Australia, and I have actually over-allowed on what many bills come in at. There are a heap of variables in here and each car is different, so don't be disheartened if you get a category C - the calculator isn't meant to be the ultimate authority, but it will give you a fair guide.

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

- engine size & fuel type

- transmission

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

- mileage

- any special features, options or modification

- does it have aircon

- realistic current UK market value

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

- which Australian state/city

Please note when you are searching that most Vauxhall, Opel and some Chevrolet models will be badged as Holden in Australia.

Let's test it out :biggrin:

Guest alextegg

Hi,

I am considering whether to bring my car. Please tell me what the spreadsheet says :)

Year of Manufacture : 2007

Audi A4 Avant S-Line 2.0T Quattro

Petrol

Tiptronic Auto Gearbox

Quattro 4WD

approx 50k mileage

loads of added options, not sure what difference that makes but it has way too many to list them all (almost GBP 9k of extras including highlights of Bose stereo, 2 tone soft leather interior, heated sports seats, phone prep, paddle shift gears, privacy glass, xenon adaptive swivel headlights, parking aid, cruise control, alloys, etc etc)

realistic UK market value of £13k

red book seems to come out at $25k

carsales market value $28k

Thanks

Alex

Guest Guest67761
Hi

we have a 2009 Nissan Primastar diesel manual crew cab. 6 seater van 2.0 short wheelbase with Aircon parking sensors electric windows cd etc. Owned from new and 20,000 miles on the clock

it is worth about £9-10k

It is exactly the same van as the Renault traffic and Vauxhall Vivaro- apparently they come out of the same factory and are just different badged, spec etc

We are going to Perth.

i can't find the red book value

Could you advise whether it is worth considering exporting it with us? Would we struggle with locating parts and resale? We will have a permanent visa.

Many thanks

Cathy

X

Hi Cathy,

I have replied to your email already with good information. Please check and let me know if you needed to know anything else.

Cheers,

Craig.

Hi,

I am considering whether to bring my car. Please tell me what the spreadsheet says :)

Year of Manufacture : 2007

Audi A4 Avant S-Line 2.0T Quattro

Petrol

Tiptronic Auto Gearbox

Quattro 4WD

approx 50k mileage

loads of added options, not sure what difference that makes but it has way too many to list them all (almost GBP 9k of extras including highlights of Bose stereo, 2 tone soft leather interior, heated sports seats, phone prep, paddle shift gears, privacy glass, xenon adaptive swivel headlights, parking aid, cruise control, alloys, etc etc)

realistic UK market value of £13k

red book seems to come out at $25k

carsales market value $28k

Thanks

Alex

Hi Alex,

I have run some calculations on the likely cost to import this car and get it road registered in Australia. Here is the breakdown based on the figures you have provided and shipment to Brisbane as an example:

-- shipping costs --

$1,452 ocean freight

$201 insurance (optional)

$800 import duty

$1,845 GST

$700 ADR compliance

$560 stamp duty

-- other costs --

After doing a little research I can only find one example similar to your vehicle and that is for sale with an asking price of around $33,500 so there is a chance that yours is actually worth more than the $28,000 you have noted assuming it's in really nice condition and is exactly the same specification as vehicles sold new in Australia.

Let me know if you need to know any more at all, or if you were interested in bringing this car with you to Australia.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi Iron Chef,

I am moving to Perth in September and considering importing my car but not sure if its worth it. I have about £4000 outstanding finance left to pay.

Car details:

2006 BMW 335i SE

E92 coupe

3.0 Petrol twin turbo

Automatic transmission, RWD

67000 miles

Added options - i drive professional navigation, bluetooth, front and rear parking sensors, heated leather seats, sunroof

UK value £11000

Redbook value $42000

Carsales.com $47000

Thank you,

Funk

Hi

I was wondering if you could give me a rough cost for shipping my car and if you think it is worth taking it.

Volvo S40 SED Auto 2009

4 door saloon

Diesel front wheel drive

12,000 miles

aircon

£9000-£9500

$39000 ish (for petrol as cant find diesel)

Thanks any help would be really appreciated, also we have not owned it for 12months so what would be the issue here? Is the tax higher or can't you take it at all? How quick does it take to get the car to a driveable state once you have it in Australia. We will be in Brisbane and need to have it made safe to put child seats in it as I know they need to be teathered over there. Tried to send all the info in a PM but said your full and can't accept anymore messages..

Thanks Paul

Guest Guest67761
Hi Iron Chef,

I am moving to Perth in September and considering importing my car but not sure if its worth it. I have about £4000 outstanding finance left to pay.

Car details:

2006 BMW 335i SE

E92 coupe

3.0 Petrol twin turbo

Automatic transmission, RWD

67000 miles

Added options - i drive professional navigation, bluetooth, front and rear parking sensors, heated leather seats, sunroof

UK value £11000

Redbook value $42000

Carsales.com $47000

Thank you,

Funk

Hiya Funk,

Bringing your car to Australia would be an excellent financial decision where it would end up owing you around $17,000 less than similar models available here. The cost breakdown works out as follows:

-- shipping costs --

$1,443 ocean freight

$169 insurance (optional)

$1,400 import duty

$3,101 GST

$800 ADR compliance

$896 stamp duty

-- other costs --

Please let me know if you wanted any more information or had any other questions at all, otherwise if the move happens in September then we should look at getting started with the paperwork right away. You can email me a copy of the vehicle registration paperwork to craig@ironladyimports.com as soon as you are ready so we can get started.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi

I was wondering if you could give me a rough cost for shipping my car and if you think it is worth taking it.

Volvo S40 SED Auto 2009

4 door saloon

Diesel front wheel drive

12,000 miles

aircon

£9000-£9500

$39000 ish (for petrol as cant find diesel)

Thanks any help would be really appreciated, also we have not owned it for 12months so what would be the issue here? Is the tax higher or can't you take it at all? How quick does it take to get the car to a driveable state once you have it in Australia. We will be in Brisbane and need to have it made safe to put child seats in it as I know they need to be teathered over there. Tried to send all the info in a PM but said your full and can't accept anymore messages..

Thanks Paul

Hi Paul,

If you have not owned the car for at least 12 months at the time of application for import to Australia then the application will be rejected. This is a non-negotiable point unfortunately. If you are quote close to the 12 months then maybe you can re-arrange your move slightly to enable the car tom come along?

Assuming you were able to import the car then it once it was in Australia it should take around 3 weeks to get through the ADR compliance process and road registration. The costs you are likely to face will be roughly as follows:

-- shipping costs --

$1,445 ocean freight

$146 insurance (optional)

$700 import duty

$1,629 GST

$700 ADR compliance

$490 stamp duty

-- other costs --

I hope this helps however it will really depend on if you can meet the 12 months ownership requirement.

Best wishes,

Craig.

Guest Wazchap

Hi Craig

Considering bringing over my 2004 Ford Ranger (Courier for this model in Aus). Mine has leather seats (which I can't find on Aus models) and a colour coded locking canopy.

- Ford Ranger XLT Thunder double cab

- 4 door - crew cab?

- 2.4 Diesel

- manual

- 4WD

- 80000 miles

- leather seats, colour coded canopy/ hardtop, chrome runner bars, tow bar

- aircon

- £5300

- RedBook value $11500-13500

- Carsales.com $16500

- WA - Perth

Thanks

Warren

Guest surferchicksal

Hi Iron Chef, I know you are the man that could possibly help me on this one!

Hubby has a KTM 4T exc Motorbike (2005) and wants to ship it, any ideas on what we need to do and how much this is going to cost?? Do we have to apply for an import licence like a car? It will fit in the container and have owned it for over 12 months.

Hiya Funk,

Bringing your car to Australia would be an excellent financial decision where it would end up owing you around $17,000 less than similar models available here. The cost breakdown works out as follows:

-- shipping costs --

$1,443 ocean freight

$169 insurance (optional)

$1,400 import duty

$3,101 GST

$800 ADR compliance

$896 stamp duty

-- other costs --

Please let me know if you wanted any more information or had any other questions at all, otherwise if the move happens in September then we should look at getting started with the paperwork right away. You can email me a copy of the vehicle registration paperwork to craig@ironladyimports.com as soon as you are ready so we can get started.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi Paul,

If you have not owned the car for at least 12 months at the time of application for import to Australia then the application will be rejected. This is a non-negotiable point unfortunately. If you are quote close to the 12 months then maybe you can re-arrange your move slightly to enable the car tom come along?

Assuming you were able to import the car then it once it was in Australia it should take around 3 weeks to get through the ADR compliance process and road registration. The costs you are likely to face will be roughly as follows:

-- shipping costs --

$1,445 ocean freight

$146 insurance (optional)

$700 import duty

$1,629 GST

$700 ADR compliance

$490 stamp duty

-- other costs --

I hope this helps however it will really depend on if you can meet the 12 months ownership requirement. Also is the cost of adding the system to allow child carseats expensive do you know?

Thanks again

Paul

Best wishes,

Craig.

Thanks Craig

Do you think it would be worth our while bringing it given ofcourse we wait another few months for the year to be up?

Guest Guest67761
Hi Craig

Considering bringing over my 2004 Ford Ranger (Courier for this model in Aus). Mine has leather seats (which I can't find on Aus models) and a colour coded locking canopy.

- Ford Ranger XLT Thunder double cab

- 4 door - crew cab?

- 2.4 Diesel

- manual

- 4WD

- 80000 miles

- leather seats, colour coded canopy/ hardtop, chrome runner bars, tow bar

- aircon

- £5300

- RedBook value $11500-13500

- Carsales.com $16500

- WA - Perth

Thanks

Warren

Hi Warren,

Based on the figures you have provided the total cost works out to be very close to the Australian value at only around $1,000 or so less. I would not think this was a good option to bring with you unless it was in especially outstanding condition, modified for your specific work requirements, or you are attached to it in some other way and really wanted to keep it. Of course if you have trouble selling it for close to the £5,300 estimated value then it could work out better to bring with you also.

Please let me know if you need any more information, or if you wanted to look at bringing the vehicle with you to Perth and wanted a full cost breakdown.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi Iron Chef, I know you are the man that could possibly help me on this one!

Hubby has a KTM 4T exc Motorbike (2005) and wants to ship it, any ideas on what we need to do and how much this is going to cost?? Do we have to apply for an import licence like a car? It will fit in the container and have owned it for over 12 months.

Having owned it for more than 12 months means that it should be suitable for approval under the Personal Import Scheme so that is a good start. If you can ship the bike in your container then that will save you around £550 to £700 which is the normal cost to ship bikes separately. You then need to allow for customs clearance costs and import taxes in Australia which will vary depending on the value of the bike. The bike will need to be certified to meet ADR's (Australian Design Rules) which will also be a variable cost depending on the bike itself, which state you moving to in Australia, and of course which workshop you use for this service. Finally you will need to have it registered which again varies in cost between states.

Sorry I couldn't provide a lot more information at this stage but I hope you can at least get something from what I have been able to tell you so far. Let me know if you have any other specific questions that I could possibly help with.

Regards,

Craig.

Thanks Craig

Do you think it would be worth our while bringing it given ofcourse we wait another few months for the year to be up?

You are only likely to save a couple of thousand dollars by importing this car compared to buying a similar one when you get to Australia. If you are going a long way out of your way to rearrange travel plans and/or it's just a great hassle for a car that you don't care too much about either way then I would not bother bringing it with you. On the other hand if it's not a huge hassle, you like the idea of keeping the car, or are just leaning towards bringing it with you for some other reason, then it may well be worthwhile. It's really a borderline choice on this car so it will have to be your decision in the end.

I hope this has helped rather than just causing more questions!

Best wishes,

Craig.

2006 (56 plate) Honda Civic 2.2l diesel, air con, full leather seats, 70,000miles, value UK - £5000 GBP, value OZ - $20,000 -30,000AUD (can't find an equivalent as I don't think they did diesels in OZ back in 2006!)

That is correct, way back in 2006 most Australian's still thought diesel was only for farm equipment and trucks, so we have only just started getting common passenger car models with diesel engines in the past few years.

The good news is that being an odd variant compared to what is available in Australia mean it will likely be valued low for Australian Customs purposes and therefore cost you less to import. The bad side is that it will be harder to sell in Australia when the time comes and may be a little harder to get some parts if required for repairs and/or servicing. It's up to you to decide if the good outweighs the bad or the other way around.

An estimate of the costs you are likely to face, based on shipping to Brisbane as a guess, should be somewhere as follows:

--shipping costs --

$1,440 ocean freight

$77 insurance (optional)

$245 import duty

$667 GST

$700 ADR compliance

$172 stamp duty

-- other costs --

All up this comes to around $6,600 give or take. When you add this to the current vehicle value of £5,000 (around $7,700) then it works out that the car would owe you around $14,300. I can't advise if it's worth more than $20,000 here in Australia because of the different engine type which should be appealing to some buyers but turn others away, but then I don't know your specific vehicle, it's condition, options and features to be able to estimate the value properly. If you are reasonably confident that it's worth a fair amount more than the value it will owe, or you really just want to keep the car regardless, then it could well be worth bringing with you.

Please let me know if you need any more information about the costs involved, the service we offer, or if you wanted to look further into your options at all.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest themuirs

Hey guys thanks for taking the time to look at this. We are looking to move really soon ( approx 8-12 weeks) and have at the last minute deceided to see if its worth to bring our car. We really dont know what is involved at all. We are shipping over a container but is it possible to upsize the container to a 40ft one and get the car in with that? Again sorry for the seemingly dumb questions, we are just trying (if its worth it) to get our car here with the least amount of hassle. We will read through the other posts to see what is required for shipping it.

Manufactured Dec 2004 (54 Plate)

- BMW 330ci

- 2 door coupe

- 3.0 Petrol

- manual

- 74000 miles

- aircon

- £6000

- RedBook value $24,000 - $28,700

- Carsales.com $27000

- WA - Perth

If you could give us a breakdown as exampled above that would be much appreciated.

Thanks again :)

Guest Guest67761
Hey guys thanks for taking the time to look at this. We are looking to move really soon ( approx 8-12 weeks) and have at the last minute deceided to see if its worth to bring our car. We really dont know what is involved at all. We are shipping over a container but is it possible to upsize the container to a 40ft one and get the car in with that? Again sorry for the seemingly dumb questions, we are just trying (if its worth it) to get our car here with the least amount of hassle. We will read through the other posts to see what is required for shipping it.

Manufactured Dec 2004 (54 Plate)

- BMW 330ci

- 2 door coupe

- 3.0 Petrol

- manual

- 74000 miles

- aircon

- £6000

- RedBook value $24,000 - $28,700

- Carsales.com $27000

- WA - Perth

If you could give us a breakdown as exampled above that would be much appreciated.

Thanks again :)

Based on the information you have provided it is absolutely worth bringing your car with you! Considering your fairly tight timeframe I would suggest that you email me immediately to get started with the paperwork.

Here is a cost breakdown assuming the car was shipped separately by normal RORO from Southampton. This is normally cheaper and easier than having to upsize to a 40 foot container and try to work the car in with shipment of household goods. If you prefer to go for the 40 foot container option then you can subtract the ocean freight cost from this calculation, and we can still work with your removal company to arrange customs clearance for the car here in Australia.

It might take a week to gather all of the documents required for the import approval application, then another 3-6 weeks for it to be processed before the car can be booked for shipping, so we should be able to get all of this done before you head to Australia yourself with a little time up our sleeve just in case.

--shipping costs --

$1,440 ocean freight

$92 insurance (optional)

$800 import duty

$1,833 GST

$800 ADR compliance

$440 stamp duty

-- other costs --

All up this works out to a total cost of around $8,700 to import this car to Australia and have it registered for road use with all costs paid along the way. If you add that to the current value of £6,000 (around $9,250) then that means the car will owe you around $17,950 give or take. If it has an Australian value of around $27,000 then you would be crazy not to bring it along.

Please email me at craig@ironladyimports.com as soon as possible so we can make a start. Also let me know any other questions you might have at all.

Regards,

Craig