Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

Hello Iron Chef,

Just wondering about my car in Ireland if its worth bringing with me

2007 1.6 Diesel Ford Focus Zetec

79,000miles

air conditioning

£5000 UK Value

Closest similar model in redbook was about $27,000 but was a 2ltr

Thanks!

Hi Iron Chef

Looking for some advise on whether to ship our cars or not. Heading to Perth in September and initally planned on selling before we left but now considering bring one with us.

I have an BMW x5 Sports DT Diesel Automatic, 6 Cylinder, Year 2005 with 84,000. miles on the clock and a value of 13,000 Euros. Hubby has a Hilux SR5 3LD D4D Manual, Year 2008 with 58,000 Miles with a value here of 17,000 Euros. Both have aircon. Would appreciate your advise.

Thanks

Thanks Craig for the quote on my Range Rover,

I already have permanent residency and my wife is from Perth so we are not under any time restraints to move just that it will be in about one year or less so I will defiantly be contacting you to start the process when I have dates .

Kind regards Axle.

Guest Guest67761
Hello Iron Chef,

Just wondering about my car in Ireland if its worth bringing with me

2007 1.6 Diesel Ford Focus Zetec

79,000miles

air conditioning

£5000 UK Value

Closest similar model in redbook was about $27,000 but was a 2ltr

Thanks!

The RedBook value you were looking at was the price when new. The current market value for a 2.0 diesel model is around $13,000 to $15,000.

Considering the smaller engine compared to Australian models and the fact that most Australian drivers prefer larger engines, I would estimate your car to be worth around $11,000 roughly. With this price as a base for the calculations it works out that the car would owe you more than it would be worth by around $4,000, so assuming you could get a decent sale price for it then I would look at selling it before you leave.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi Iron Chef

Looking for some advise on whether to ship our cars or not. Heading to Perth in September and initally planned on selling before we left but now considering bring one with us.

I have an BMW x5 Sports DT Diesel Automatic, 6 Cylinder, Year 2005 with 84,000. miles on the clock and a value of 13,000 Euros. Hubby has a Hilux SR5 3LD D4D Manual, Year 2008 with 58,000 Miles with a value here of 17,000 Euros. Both have aircon. Would appreciate your advise.

Thanks

The BMW would be a good option to bring along. Usually decent BMW models do work out well financially and yours would end up owing you somewhere around $6,000 to $7,000 less than it would be worth in Australia so there is a very good margin on that one.

It's a little harder to estimate costs for the Toyota Hilux without knowing what the likely Australian value might be as they do vary a lot based on condition, specification, optional extras, etc. but from what I know so far it seems that it would probably work out owing you around the same as it would be worth in Australia, or in the best case scenario it might come in under resale value by up to $4,000 .. in any case it would certainly not have a really decent margin so I would be inclined to sell it before you leave if you can get a decent sale price, unless you are quite attached to it personally or for work purposes in which case it would still be a reasonable option considering it's not likely to lose money.

Please let me know if you need any more information. You can email me directly at craig@ironladyimports.com

Regards,

Craig.

Thanks Craig for the quote on my Range Rover,

I already have permanent residency and my wife is from Perth so we are not under any time restraints to move just that it will be in about one year or less so I will defiantly be contacting you to start the process when I have dates .

Kind regards Axle.

Hi Axle,

Anytime you are ready is good with me. Just let me know when the time is right, or if you had any other questions in the meantime.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest Andrew2012

Hi Iron Chef,

We are moving to Perth in the next few weeks (457). Just wondered if you could give my car a once over as I think it likely borders worthwhile or not to import.

BMW 318iES 2007 (black). 46000 miles. Air Con. UK value £7-7500k. Looks like it would be valued at around $25-30k in Oz.

Thanks very much for your help.

Andy

Guest Guest67761
Hi Iron Chef,

We are moving to Perth in the next few weeks (457). Just wondered if you could give my car a once over as I think it likely borders worthwhile or not to import.

BMW 318iES 2007 (black). 46000 miles. Air Con. UK value £7-7500k. Looks like it would be valued at around $25-30k in Oz.

Thanks very much for your help.

Andy

Hi there Andy,

There doesn't seem to be a direct comparison to your car here in Australia so I will need more information before I can verify the likely value. Please let me know the following information:

- transmission type

- body style (4 door saloon?)

- engine size (2.0L 4 cylinder?)

- any features or options like leather interior?

Once I know a little more then I can give you a reasonable idea of what it will cost and if it's worth considering or not.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest Andrew2012

Hi Craig,

Thanks very much for the reply, to answer your questions:

Manual transmission

4 door saloon

2 litre 4 cylinder

Only optional extras are M sport wheels and hands-free phone.

If it helps here's a link to the car details:

http://www.buyacar.co.uk/bmw_3_series_saloon/car_318i_es_4dr_5079.jhtml

Thanks again for your help,

Andy

Guest Guest67761
Hi Craig,

Thanks very much for the reply, to answer your questions:

Manual transmission

4 door saloon

2 litre 4 cylinder

Only optional extras are M sport wheels and hands-free phone.

If it helps here's a link to the car details:

http://www.buyacar.co.uk/bmw_3_series_saloon/car_318i_es_4dr_5079.jhtml

Thanks again for your help,

Andy

Hi Andy,

We never got this exact model here in Australia but there are some similar enough to get an estimated value. You would be looking at around $5,400 for shipping costs, import duty, taxes and customs clearance + around $2,000 for Australian compliance and road registration costs + $50 for the import approval application fee + our service fee depending on which package you choose. It should work out that the car owes you around $4,000 less than buying a similar model here in Australia so although it's not a really major saving it's still not bad.

Please let me know if you need any more information, or if you were interested in getting started with the process.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest Andrew2012

Craig,

Thank you very much for the advice and effort you've put into it. I'll be in touch if we decide to send it over. I have a couple of reservations mainly its age and colour but other than that to buy the equivalent or better in Perth would cost a fair bit more.

kind regards,

Andy

Guest GC73

Hi, can you please offer me some advice on whether it's a good idea to export my car. I'm moving to Perth in September 2012. Car details as follows:

Audi TT Coupe 2007, 2.0L Turbo Petrol, Automatic, 42,000 miles, Aircon. UK Value £14000, Redbook Price Guide $33-$37k.

Hassles of doing it aside, I'm interested to know whether this makes good financial sense. I've had the car a few years and the history is good. Really appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks GC73.

Guest Guest67761
Hi, can you please offer me some advice on whether it's a good idea to export my car. I'm moving to Perth in September 2012. Car details as follows:

Audi TT Coupe 2007, 2.0L Turbo Petrol, Automatic, 42,000 miles, Aircon. UK Value £14000, Redbook Price Guide $33-$37k.

Hassles of doing it aside, I'm interested to know whether this makes good financial sense. I've had the car a few years and the history is good. Really appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks GC73.

My quick calculations came in between $8,500 and $10,500 all up depending on the exact valuation of the car, this would have it on-road in Australia owing you around $4,000 to $6,000 less than it would be worth so that makes it a fairly good option to bring with you. I would be happy to give you a more specific and detailed estimate and answer any other questions you have if you wanted to email me at craig@ironladyimports.com

Regards,

Craig.

Hi Craig

Further to my enquiry about my Range Rover Supercharged my wife wants to know how much it will cost to bring her Volvo V70 over, now I know the model was never sold in OZ so it will be a bit of a stretch ;

Volvo V70 T5 Ocean Race

Manual

Aircon

Nov 2005

62,000 miles

About £6000 in the UK.

fairly sure it's a bad idea but she is absolutely determined to bring it and it owes us nothing .

Many thanks Axle.

Guest Guest67761
Hi Craig

Further to my enquiry about my Range Rover Supercharged my wife wants to know how much it will cost to bring her Volvo V70 over, now I know the model was never sold in OZ so it will be a bit of a stretch ;

Volvo V70 T5 Ocean Race

Manual

Aircon

Nov 2005

62,000 miles

About £6000 in the UK.

fairly sure it's a bad idea but she is absolutely determined to bring it and it owes us nothing .

Many thanks Axle.

Hi Axle,

Without having a direct comparison it's a little harder however based on similar models market value in Australia I was able to calculate a likely value of around $22,000 here in Australia. Based on this figure it works out that you costs should be as follows:

-- shipping costs --

$1,492 ocean freight

$95 shipping insurance (optional)

$1,500 customs & port fees

$560 import duty

$1,335 GST

-- road registration costs --

$800 ADR compliance

$150 roadworthy requirements

$600 registration (12 months)

$308 stamp duty

-- other costs --

$50 import approval application

$990 Iron Lady Imports fee ('A' Package)

Taking into account a likely current value of around £6,000 it works out that the car would owe you around $4,500 less than a similar vehicle in Australia so it would be a decent prospect to import, especially if it really owes you nothing. Also if you ship 2 cars using our service then we will drop our rate for the second car to only $660 so that would make it even more worthwhile.

Regards,

Craig

Iron Lady Imports

Hi Axle,

Without having a direct comparison it's a little harder however based on similar models market value in Australia I was able to calculate a likely value of around $22,000 here in Australia. Based on this figure it works out that you costs should be as follows:

-- shipping costs --

$1,492 ocean freight

$95 shipping insurance (optional)

$560 import duty

$1,335 GST

$800 ADR compliance

$308 stamp duty

-- other costs --

Taking into account a likely current value of around £6,000 it works out that the car would owe you around $4,500 less than a similar vehicle in Australia so it would be a decent prospect to import, especially if it really owes you nothing. Also if you ship 2 cars using our service then we will drop our rate for the second car to only $660 so that would make it even more worthwhile.

Regards,

Craig

Iron Lady Imports

Thanks Craig we will be in touch in a few months to start proceedings .

Axle.

Ok I've been having a tinker with this for a little while and think I've got it pretty close. I've developed an Excel spreadsheet that provides an estimate of whether or not your car is

Category A: definitely worth bringing, you'll do nicely out of it when the time comes to sell

Category B: only worth bringing if you love the car and/or plan to keep it for a while

Category C: not worth the aggro, you're better off selling it in the UK

*Disclaimers* - the estimates are based on the following:

1) using our most complete 'A Package' service at AUD990 (it's set up for our customers, obviously!)

2) using RORO shipping from Southampton (does not include transport to get your car to the port)

3) the current GBP/AUD exchange rate

4) an estimated Australian Customs value calculated for your specific vehicle

5) includes customs duty, GST and LCT where necessary

6) a set figure for customs clearance (which I've deliberately set higher than what they normally come in at)

7) includes the cost of Australian Customs valuation and transport to the workshop once cleared

8) includes allowance for the minor modifications needed before registration

9) includes road registration and stamp duty costs (for a "no surprises" all inclusive cost estimate)

As you can see, I've tried to be as upfront about the costs of getting the vehicle to Australia, and I have actually over-allowed on what many bills come in at. There are a heap of variables in here and each car is different, so don't be disheartened if you get a category C - the calculator isn't meant to be the ultimate authority, but it will give you a fair guide.

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

- engine size & fuel type

- transmission

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

- mileage

- any special features, options or modification

- does it have aircon

- realistic current UK market value

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

- which Australian state/city

Please note when you are searching that most Vauxhall, Opel and some Chevrolet models will be badged as Holden in Australia.

Let's test it out :biggrin:

Hey - Hoping you can help me out...

I've got a 2009 MINI one - but can't find this specification on the "redbook" website. Heres some of the information:

1.4 Petrol engine,

3 door hatchback

front wheel drive

aircon

alloys

piano black and red leather trim

27213 miles on the clock.

UK value around £9995

Hoping to take it to Perth.

Hope you can give us some good news!

Hi Iron Chef, I need to buy a new car now as the one that I have currently is getting a bit past it. We plan to move to Brisbane in about a year so thinking of upgrading and then importing over, either to make a profit or to keep and avoid paying through the roof for a nice car out there. I'm looking at a diesel TT Quattro 2.0, 2009 selling in the UK for between £15-17k with mod cons such as air con, ipod connector, electric/heated seats (not that heated seats are needed out in Oz I'd imagine!) etc and by the time I biring it over it will have around betweeb 55-60k miles on the clock. I had a look in the redbook guide you talked about but couldn't find a diesel TT, only petrol? Is it cheaper to drive a diesel in Oz similar to here? I need to buy a diesel as I do an 80 mile round trip daily.

Understand the FX rate has a big influence over the attractiveness of bringing a car over and who knows what it will be in 12 months time but if you can give a steer as what category it would fall into that would be uber cool of you :)

Ok I've been having a tinker with this for a little while and think I've got it pretty close. I've developed an Excel spreadsheet that provides an estimate of whether or not your car is

Category A: definitely worth bringing, you'll do nicely out of it when the time comes to sell

Category B: only worth bringing if you love the car and/or plan to keep it for a while

Category C: not worth the aggro, you're better off selling it in the UK

*Disclaimers* - the estimates are based on the following:

1) using our most complete 'A Package' service at AUD990 (it's set up for our customers, obviously!)

2) using RORO shipping from Southampton (does not include transport to get your car to the port)

3) the current GBP/AUD exchange rate

4) an estimated Australian Customs value calculated for your specific vehicle

5) includes customs duty, GST and LCT where necessary

6) a set figure for customs clearance (which I've deliberately set higher than what they normally come in at)

7) includes the cost of Australian Customs valuation and transport to the workshop once cleared

8) includes allowance for the minor modifications needed before registration

9) includes road registration and stamp duty costs (for a "no surprises" all inclusive cost estimate)

As you can see, I've tried to be as upfront about the costs of getting the vehicle to Australia, and I have actually over-allowed on what many bills come in at. There are a heap of variables in here and each car is different, so don't be disheartened if you get a category C - the calculator isn't meant to be the ultimate authority, but it will give you a fair guide.

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

- engine size & fuel type

- transmission

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

- mileage

- any special features, options or modification

- does it have aircon

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

- which Australian state/city

Please note when you are searching that most Vauxhall, Opel and some Chevrolet models will be badged as Holden in Australia.

Let's test it out :biggrin:

Hi

Can you let me know if this car would be worth taking.

BMW 7 Series

728i sport, 4 door auto, 2000(w) plate saloon, 133000 miles, automatic, petrol.

Thanks in advance

I'd be interested in knowing please:

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture 2004

- make, model & variant Vauxhall Astra

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) Convertible

- engine size & fuel type 1.8 petrol

- transmission manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) 2wd FWD

- mileage 56Kmiles

- any special features, options or modification non

- does it have aircon yes

- realistic current UK market value £3.5K

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) $10k

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) $10k

- which Australian state/city Perth

Guest Guest67761
Hey - Hoping you can help me out...

I've got a 2009 MINI one - but can't find this specification on the "redbook" website. Heres some of the information:

1.4 Petrol engine,

3 door hatchback

front wheel drive

aircon

alloys

piano black and red leather trim

27213 miles on the clock.

UK value around £9995

Hoping to take it to Perth.

Hope you can give us some good news!

The smallest engine the Mini got in Australia was a 1.6L so the smaller 1.4L would be less desirable and therefore less valuable here. I can only make a guess at the value which I think should be somewhere around $20,000 considering the low mileage and leather interior. Based on this figure you would be looking at the following costs:

-- shipping costs --

$1,483 ocean freight

$79 shipping insurance (optional)

$560 import duty

$1,332 GST

$800 ADR compliance

$308 stamp duty

-- other costs --

All up this car would owe you around $4,000 less than it's possible resale value so there it's not a bad one to bring with you if you like the car and wish to keep it.

Regards,

Craig

Hi Iron Chef, I need to buy a new car now as the one that I have currently is getting a bit past it. We plan to move to Brisbane in about a year so thinking of upgrading and then importing over, either to make a profit or to keep and avoid paying through the roof for a nice car out there. I'm looking at a diesel TT Quattro 2.0, 2009 selling in the UK for between £15-17k with mod cons such as air con, ipod connector, electric/heated seats (not that heated seats are needed out in Oz I'd imagine!) etc and by the time I biring it over it will have around betweeb 55-60k miles on the clock. I had a look in the redbook guide you talked about but couldn't find a diesel TT, only petrol? Is it cheaper to drive a diesel in Oz similar to here? I need to buy a diesel as I do an 80 mile round trip daily.

Understand the FX rate has a big influence over the attractiveness of bringing a car over and who knows what it will be in 12 months time but if you can give a steer as what category it would fall into that would be uber cool of you :)

If you are going to buy a car with the idea of bringing it to Australia then please make sure you work out your timing properly so you will have owned and used it overseas for at least 12 months or more in order to qualify for the personal import approval. If you are thinking about selling the car for a profit at some stage then you really must buy a vehicle that was sold in Australia with the same specification, and unfortunately we never got the Audi TT here in diesel because Australian buyers just can't understand a sports coupe with a diesel engine! If you did buy the diesel then you would have a lot of trouble selling it here and you would get substantially less for it than you would a petrol version.

The cost of running a diesel vehicle here only really differs from a petrol version because of the more efficient engine. Fuel prices are generally very similar between diesel and petrol and there are no other advantages with insurance, road registration costs or anything else really. I would personally look at either the Audi TT in petrol or another different model which was available in Australia in a diesel if you really prefer a diesel vehicle.

The personal import laws allow each person to bring one vehicle, so if you have the means to buy 2 vehicles for the purpose of resale in Australia then you should look for the models which will suit you best in the next 12 months and offer the best resale value in Australia when you get here.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi

Can you let me know if this car would be worth taking.

BMW 7 Series

728i sport, 4 door auto, 2000(w) plate saloon, 133000 miles, automatic, petrol.

Thanks in advance

The lowest model 7 series sold in Australia around this year range was a 735i so there would be less demand and a lower value on the 728i model you have. My best guess on a cost estimate without knowing much more about this car would be somewhere around $4,300 for shipping costs + $1,650 for registration costs + $50 import approval application + our service fee ... all up it might cost somewhere around $7,000 all up to get this car on the road in Australia.

Regards,

Craig.

I'd be interested in knowing please:

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture 2004

- make, model & variant Vauxhall Astra

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) Convertible

- engine size & fuel type 1.8 petrol

- transmission manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) 2wd FWD

- mileage 56Kmiles

- any special features, options or modification non

- realistic current UK market value £3.5K

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) $10k

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) $10k

- which Australian state/city Perth

Thank you for providing good detailed information, it helps to get a good accurate calculation. Based on the figures provided you should be looking at importing costs as follows:

-- shipping costs --

$1,483 ocean freight

$55 shipping insurance (optional)

$180 import duty

$532 GST

$800 ADR compliance

$99 stamp duty

-- other costs --

The overall value that this car should end up owing you, including the original UK market value of £3,500, is somewhere around $12,000 which is probably the maximum value that this car would be worth here in Australia, therefore I would not suggest this as a good vehicle to import unless you were quite attached and wanted to keep it for a while.

Regards,

Craig.

Edited by Guest67761

Hi, is it possible to find out about shipping a car from Ireland?

year of manufacture 2007

- make, model & variant Volkswagen Golf

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) 5 door Hatchback

- engine size & fuel type 1.4 petrol

- transmission manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) 2wd front

- mileage 80K miles

- any special features, options or modification none

- realistic current UK market value €6500 (about £5,200)

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) $10,800 - $12,600 (for a 1.6 closest I could get)

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) $21,000

- which Australian state/city NSW/Newcastle

Hi Iron Chef,

I am debating whether or not to take my car to geraldton WA. My partners company will take it over, so i wont be out of money.

Year: 2006

Vehicle: Vauxhall Astra 1.8i VVT Energy 5door 5sp

Aircon: Yes

Uk Price: approx £3,500

Mileage: 52,000

Fuel type: petrol

I cannot find my car on the redbook website?? What you think? is it worth taking over? changing registration plates? Car tax & insurance for this type of car in WA?

Guest Guest67761

Hi, is it possible to find out about shipping a car from Ireland?

year of manufacture 2007

- make, model & variant Volkswagen Golf

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) 5 door Hatchback

- engine size & fuel type 1.4 petrol

- transmission manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) 2wd front

- mileage 80K miles

- any special features, options or modification none

€6500 (about £5,200)

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) $10,800 - $12,600 (for a 1.6 closest I could get)

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) $21,000

- which Australian state/city NSW/Newcastle

Being a smaller engine than what was available in Australia will lower the value and make this car harder to eventually sell. Based on the likely market value here for your car I would suggest selling it before you leave as it will likely end of owing you around $5,000 more than it would be worth, so you would be better off selling if you can get close to the €6,500 estimated current value.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest Guest67761
Hi Iron Chef,

I am debating whether or not to take my car to geraldton WA. My partners company will take it over, so i wont be out of money.

Year: 2006

Vehicle: Vauxhall Astra 1.8i VVT Energy 5door 5sp

Aircon: Yes

Uk Price: approx £3,500

Mileage: 52,000

Fuel type: petrol

I cannot find my car on the redbook website?? What you think? is it worth taking over? changing registration plates? Car tax & insurance for this type of car in WA?

The Australian market value of this car is just not high enough to justify bringing it with you unless you are quite attached to the car and really want to keep it. It would work out to owe you probably around $3,000 more than it would be worth. Probably a better option to sell before you come to Australia if you can get a decent price for it. I hate doing myself out of work but I have to be honest with my advice.

Regards,

Craig.