Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

Guest Guest67761
Is this worth it?

2009 HYUNDAI I800 2.5 CRDI STYLE (iMax in Aus) 64Km

UK Price: £11000

Redbook Trade Price: $22-25K

Redbook Private Price: 26-30K

Thanks,

Unfortunately this one is not really worthwhile. It's likely to cost around $9,700 to get it here and on the road, which including the £11,000 value would owe around $27,000 which is pretty well into the range of Australian replacement value. Unless it was kitted out with fitted for work or had some other distinct difference then I would think it's not worth the hassle.

Cheers,

Craig.

Guest luckylady
Ok I've been having a tinker with this for a little while and think I've got it pretty close. I've developed an Excel spreadsheet that provides an estimate of whether or not your car is

Category A: definitely worth bringing, you'll do nicely out of it when the time comes to sell

Category B: only worth bringing if you love the car and/or plan to keep it for a while

Category C: not worth the aggro, you're better off selling it in the UK

*Disclaimers* - the estimates are based on the following:

1) using my services at AUD990 (it's set up for my customers, obviously!)

2) using RORO shipping from Southampton (does not include transport to get your car to the port)

3) the current GBP/AUD exchange rate

4) a customs value at 75% of the normal market value

5) includes customs duty and GST

5) a set figure for dock charges (which I've deliberately set higher than what they normally come in at)

6) includes the cost of a valuation and transport to the workshop once cleared

7) includes $1000 for minor modifications needed for registration

8) does NOT include registration costs (because you pay that on all cars, whether they're imported or bought here in Australia)

As you can see, I've tried to be as upfront about the costs of getting the vehicle to Australia, and I have actually over-allowed on what many bills come in at. There are a heap of variables in here and each car is different, so don't be disheartened if you get a category C - the calculator isn't meant to be the ultimate authority, but it will give you a fair guide.

What I need from you:

1) Year/make/model/mileage/aircon or no aircon/engine size and fuel type/transmission/body type/any distinctive features

2) Market value in the UK (be realistic!)

3) Market value in Australia (search via www.redbook.com.au and make sure you click right through to the description to get the correct price ranges - if you don't chances are you're looking at the price it was sold at when it was new)

Let's test it out :biggrin:

Hi

Thanks for the great info.

I also have a mini & was interested to see if its worth taking.

1. 2006 Mini Cooper Convertible. £30k miles, Aircon, 1.6L petrol. Lots of extras

2. £8,000 uk resale

3. $17,800 based on private sale 60k kms

It is possible that I may need a 40 foot container, so its possible it could go in there, if that makes a difference.

This car is also a company car, owned at the moment by the company my husband and I are the only directors off. So does that qualify us to take it.

Thanks in advanced for your help.

Guest Guest67761
Hi

Thanks for the great info.

I also have a mini & was interested to see if its worth taking.

1. 2006 Mini Cooper Convertible. £30k miles, Aircon, 1.6L petrol. Lots of extras

2. £8,000 uk resale

3. $17,800 based on private sale 60k kms

It is possible that I may need a 40 foot container, so its possible it could go in there, if that makes a difference.

This car is also a company car, owned at the moment by the company my husband and I are the only directors off. So does that qualify us to take it.

Thanks in advanced for your help.

Based on the figures you have provided this would be a Category C vehicle. It would cost around $5,450 to ship to Australia, around $1,900 to get on-road once here, and around $1040 in paperwork costs making a total including the current resale value of around $20,700 all up. If a similar car is worth only $17,800 in Australia then you would be far better off selling this in the UK and buying a replacement when you get to Australia.

If you were able to load it into a container with household good, even if it cost absolutely nothing extra, then you would still end up with it costing more than it would be worth unfortunately.

Being a company vehicle it still qualifies if you are the owners of the company or can get a declaration from the company owner to state that this was your vehicle.

Let us know if you need any more clarification.

Craig.

Guest Guest67761
Hi

I have a 1997 MG MGF 1.8 VVC owned for 7 years, 40,000 miles, petrol, manual, uk price £3000 ish redbook price about $7800

not worth a great deal but much loved

any ideas of costs would be great thanks

Luckily RedBook is not always right and in this case they seem a little low because similar cars are selling for around $9,000 plus in Australia at the moment, however based on the current value of around £3,000 this car would cost somewhere around $6,900 to get into Australia and on the road with all costs included, so that would make it a little more in total than it would be worth to sell. I would only suggest it as a good option to bring to Australia if you are really quite attached to it, otherwise you could get a similar replacement vehicle cheaper.

Cheers,

Craig.

Hi, we are inquiring about bringing the following with us:

1998 Audi A4 110 SE TDi Wagon

156K in good condition

worth in the UK around £1000

value wise in Australia i'm not sure, as i don't think the diesel version was sold. i would have thought maybe around $5500 to $6000?

It would really be used as a cheap to run second vehicle.

Thanks, Jamie

Guest hazel100

Hi

If you could give us your advise please on

2001/51 plate

TOYOTA LANDCRUISER AMAZON VX 4.2 TD AUTO ACTIVE SUSPENTION.

MILEAGE 200K KM/135 MILES, AIRCON

FULL LEATHER INTERIOR, 22 INCH ALLOY WHEELS.

UK MARKEY VALUE £9,000

AU MARKET VALUE - $22 - 28,000

Look forward to hearing from you

Hazel

Guest hazel100

Hi

Also like your thoughts on

VW Compass Navigator 360 RL 4 birth coachbuilt motorhome

1998/R reg

2.4 Diesel

38000 miles/55000km?

Uk market value £13000

Not sure on Au price as cannot find on your recommended site. ($40k)

Thanks again

Hazel.

Guest Guest67761
Hi, we are inquiring about bringing the following with us:

1998 Audi A4 110 SE TDi Wagon

156K in good condition

worth in the UK around £1000

value wise in Australia i'm not sure, as i don't think the diesel version was sold. i would have thought maybe around $5500 to $6000?

It would really be used as a cheap to run second vehicle.

Thanks, Jamie

Hi Jamie,

You would be looking at around $3,800 for freight, import duty, taxes and customs clearance + $1,040 for paperwork costs + $1,530 roughly for on-road costs = a total cost of around $6,370 on top of the current car value ... assuming the car was only worth $6,000 in Australia then it's not looking like a good option to me. Probably sell this car before you head over and buy something else cheap when you get here.

Cheers,

Craig.

Hi

If you could give us your advise please on

2001/51 plate

TOYOTA LANDCRUISER AMAZON VX 4.2 TD AUTO ACTIVE SUSPENTION.

MILEAGE 200K KM/135 MILES, AIRCON

FULL LEATHER INTERIOR, 22 INCH ALLOY WHEELS.

UK MARKEY VALUE £9,000

AU MARKET VALUE - $22 - 28,000

Look forward to hearing from you

Hazel

Hi Hazel,

This is an unusual one because there are no diesel versions of this year model with leather interior available on the local market in Australia at the moment with an little as 200,000km on the clock. Most have around 250,000km to 400,000km with asking prices that vary from $24,000 to more than $35,000. You have your car listed as having 22" alloy wheels therefore I assume it's more appealing than most so it could sell for the higher end of this price range, but even basing it on an estimated value of around $30,000 then it would work out to be a good vehicle to import to Australia.

You should end up paying around $7,300 for freight, import duty, taxes and customs clearance + $1,040 for paperwork costs + $2,250 for on-road costs = a total outlay of around $10,600 on top of the current vehicle value. Taking into account the current value of around £9,000 this vehicle would owe you less than $25,000 which seems to be a fair way under the likely Australian value.

I hope this helps get you going in the right direction. Please let me know if you need any more information at all.

Hi

Also like your thoughts on

VW Compass Navigator 360 RL 4 birth coachbuilt motorhome

1998/R reg

2.4 Diesel

38000 miles/55000km?

Uk market value £13000

Not sure on Au price as cannot find on your recommended site. ($40k)

Thanks again

Hazel.

Campervans and motorhomes are always hard because we need to look harder at the exact make and model as well as what modifications have been done to see if it can even be made to suit Australian laws, and then once we have worked out if its possible we need to get exact measurements to get a custom freight quote due to the size, etc.

We would need to have some photos of the side profile of the vehicle to get basic measurements of things like the wheelbase and rear overhang, as well as other general photos showing the equipment, interior fittings, etc. then we would have to find an engineer who could help with campers. It could be a long process with a lot of back and forth requests for more photos, measurements and details. If you are serious about bringing this one too, then please start by emailing me photos and more details at craig@ironladyimports.com

Cheers,

Craig.

Guest hazel100

Hi Craig

Thanks for the reply, is the additional cost of current value of the vehicle another 10% on top of the $10,600? So total UK pound would be about 8K to import?

In the UK the Toyota Landcruiser is an Amazon but I believe the Oz version is a Sahara?

Also in your opinion not sure how the crates work but is it possible to put a vehicle and furniture in one crate and if taking a vehicle in a crate can you fill it?

Sounds a bit more tricky re our motorhome - can you tell me generally how the Oz laws differ to UK re motorhomes and what modifications would be needed, here are some basics on the motorhome -

VW T4 compass Navigator, cab/engine with coach built structure, wheelbase is long with rear overhang of 4ft, length is 6m and width 2.2m, height is 2.5m (including top box/aerial). It's a 4 birth with 2 front belted seats and side facing rear benches with no belts.

All thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Hazel

Guest hazel100

Hi Craig

Sorry more questions after I sent a reply. Does it make a difference if we added the alloys to our toyota, they did not come with the vehicle, we have had the vehicle 3 years and put them on two years ago?

In your opinion the vehicle is worth 9K in the UK but a lot more over in OZ is it worthwhile taking over paying out about 8K to get it there then paying out on a vehicle rental whilst we wait for it to arrive - what is a average timescale to receive if able to put in a container? or sent alone?

Sorry to bombard you but just pinging the questions as I think?

Also yes we have another vehicle, 3 in all! Advise on the following please...

Mercedes Benz Sprinter Van 311 CDI medium wheel base high roof navy blue.

170k km/140k miles.

Low emissions = low UK tax.

2.2 Litre Turbo Diesel.

Not sure on Uk value 6/7K?

Presumably also this couldn't go in a crate re size.

Another option we have is to sell the motorhome and trade in the Toyota Landcruiser and the cash from the motorhome and buy a VW T5 California Caravelle- that way we have both a day vehicle and weekender in one.

Thanks again.

Hazel

Hi Jamie,

You would be looking at around $3,800 for freight, import duty, taxes and customs clearance + $1,040 for paperwork costs + $1,530 roughly for on-road costs = a total cost of around $6,370 on top of the current car value ... assuming the car was only worth $6,000 in Australia then it's not looking like a good option to me. Probably sell this car before you head over and buy something else cheap when you get here.

Cheers,

Craig.

many thanks Craig.

Guest hazel100

Hi Craig

Sorry to trouble you again just looking at all our options at the moment, we are about a year off going over so still time to change our vehicles so if we had a 4x4 etc (thinking of a Audi Q7 3LTD sport line uk value approx 15k or a Toyota Hylux Invincible or Vigo 3.0 TD approx uk value 15K) and got rid of the motorhome we are thinking of.....

Peninne Pathfinder Folding Camper worth in the UK 5.5K. length 4.17m width 2.12m. Single axle. Could we take one of these over in a container with furniture?

Thanks again & don't hate me please for all the posts!

Hazel

Hi Iron Chef, I would be very grateful for your help,

2008 Mazda 2 Sport 5 door with aircon

25,000 miles

UK value £5-6000

Sorry but I'm not sure what the Aus version is but they're all really expensive, which made me consider bringing it!

Thank you

Linda

Guest Guest67761
hi ironchef, i have a 2000 bmw 318i aircon 98000 miles....value in uk 2500 and in aus apparantly $48000......not sure if this is worth taking over but really want to :biggrin:

I think the Australian price you were looking at was the value when new on RedBook rather than the current used market value. A quick search shows that a similar car should be worth around $9,000 in Australia assuming there is nothing really special about this car. In this case it would cost around $6,900 to bring to Australian including all costs to get it on-road too, which would put it around $1,800 over the Australian replacement value. I would not suggest this as a good car to bring with you unless you really loved it and don't mind the hassle of importing and losing money on it in the long run.

Cheers,

Craig.

Guest Guest67761
Hi Iron Chef, I would be very grateful for your help,

2008 Mazda 2 Sport 5 door with aircon

25,000 miles

UK value £5-6000

Sorry but I'm not sure what the Aus version is but they're all really expensive, which made me consider bringing it!

Thank you

Linda

Hi Linda,

Australian values vary between around $11,000 and $17,000 depending on the exact car. Using even the lowest UK value you listed at £5,000 for the calculations it would not work out as a good vehicle to import unless it was a stunning car worth every penny of the top Australian value. Assuming it was worth $17,000 then the cost to import including everything to get it on the road would be around $8,100 then if you include the current UK value of £5,000 this car will owe you about $15,900 in total ... normally I would not suggest importing a car of this value unless it's worth at over 20% more in Australia than the total amount it owes.

If you are still keen or you find that it's going to sell for less in the UK then please let us know.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest Guest67761
Hi Craig

Thanks for the reply, is the additional cost of current value of the vehicle another 10% on top of the $10,600? So total UK pound would be about 8K to import?

In the UK the Toyota Landcruiser is an Amazon but I believe the Oz version is a Sahara?

Also in your opinion not sure how the crates work but is it possible to put a vehicle and furniture in one crate and if taking a vehicle in a crate can you fill it?

Sounds a bit more tricky re our motorhome - can you tell me generally how the Oz laws differ to UK re motorhomes and what modifications would be needed, here are some basics on the motorhome -

VW T4 compass Navigator, cab/engine with coach built structure, wheelbase is long with rear overhang of 4ft, length is 6m and width 2.2m, height is 2.5m (including top box/aerial). It's a 4 birth with 2 front belted seats and side facing rear benches with no belts.

All thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Hazel

Hi Hazel,

I am not sure what you are asking exactly in that first questions, but the total cost from our calculations should be around $10,600 AUD (around £6,900) all up.

If we are arranging a container for freight of a vehicle then it can only be the vehicle inside however you can load personal items into the vehicle as long as the vehicle is still drivable. You can't load any additional things inside the container through our agents.

On the other hand if you are making your own freight arrangements for furniture and other items then most general good freight companies will allow you to load you vehicle in there too. They would be responsible for loading and unloading the car as well as working out the costs involved, so you should contact them directly for more information.

Unfortunately I can't tell you all about Australian motorhome laws as it's massively complex and involves a stack of paperwork more than 500 pages deep. I can tell you that I have heard of problems in the past with many things that can be fixed without too much trouble and also some that are not so simple, for example one a few years back that I was told about had a long overhang behind the rear wheels which was too much by Australian law and required the rear end of the camper shortened by 30cm which as you can imagine is a nightmare.

The best idea with this would be to find an engineer who knows about these and can help with imported camper compliance to advise further, then you can communicate directly with them. Please let me know which city you are moving to as the laws may differ between states?

Hi Craig

Sorry more questions after I sent a reply. Does it make a difference if we added the alloys to our toyota, they did not come with the vehicle, we have had the vehicle 3 years and put them on two years ago?

In your opinion the vehicle is worth 9K in the UK but a lot more over in OZ is it worthwhile taking over paying out about 8K to get it there then paying out on a vehicle rental whilst we wait for it to arrive - what is a average timescale to receive if able to put in a container? or sent alone?

Sorry to bombard you but just pinging the questions as I think?

Also yes we have another vehicle, 3 in all! Advise on the following please...

Mercedes Benz Sprinter Van 311 CDI medium wheel base high roof navy blue.

170k km/140k miles.

Low emissions = low UK tax.

2.2 Litre Turbo Diesel.

Not sure on Uk value 6/7K?

Presumably also this couldn't go in a crate re size.

Another option we have is to sell the motorhome and trade in the Toyota Landcruiser and the cash from the motorhome and buy a VW T5 California Caravelle- that way we have both a day vehicle and weekender in one.

Thanks again.

Hazel

The alloy wheels may work against you when it comes to the Australian Customs valuation of the vehicle. Obviously the less appealing the vehicle, the lower the value will be, and therefore the less import duty and tax you will be likely to pay.

Timeframe for shipping as normal RORO can be 30-40 days on the water plus another 7-10 days for customs clearance. Compliance and registration work could be 7-14 days normally. Shipping by container can add around 1-3 weeks to the process. It's your decision on how you prefer to ship and if you can get by without the vehicle in the meantime.

I can't advise on the Sprinter van without knowing all of the information:

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

- engine size & fuel type

- transmission

- mileage

- any special features or options

- does it have aircon

- realistic current UK market value

Hi Craig

Sorry to trouble you again just looking at all our options at the moment, we are about a year off going over so still time to change our vehicles so if we had a 4x4 etc (thinking of a Audi Q7 3LTD sport line uk value approx 15k or a Toyota Hylux Invincible or Vigo 3.0 TD approx uk value 15K) and got rid of the motorhome we are thinking of.....

Peninne Pathfinder Folding Camper worth in the UK 5.5K. length 4.17m width 2.12m. Single axle. Could we take one of these over in a container with furniture?

Thanks again & don't hate me please for all the posts!

Hazel

An Audi Q7 would always be a good option as long as you buy at a decent price in the UK because they are always worth more in Australia. I am not too sure about a Hilux as they are typically different specification between the UK and Australia.

I have no idea what a Peninne Pathfinder is exactly, however I can give some good advice for this sort of vehicle and that is to only look at makes and models which are available in Australia already in basically the same specification, then you can be sure that it will be suitable without major modifications and also able to be resold eventually without massive trouble too.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest zzidane

Hi Iron Chef, I have already sent an email on your web site then saw this.

To get something similar in age and size in Perth to carry wife and four kids will not be cheap. Here goes....

1) 2006/Vauxhal /Zafira 20,000 miles approx/ Aircon/ 1.6 16v / unleaded / manual / 7 seater people carrier

2) £5500 to £6000 on autotrader

3) I cannot see any of these models only the very early Zafiras advertised in Oz

Thanks

Pete

Hello Iron Lady. :ssign5:

Im seriously giving this some thought given the replacement cost etc. Heres my motor. {thanks!}

Audi A4 1.8T Sport (Convertible)

2004 (54 plate)

100k miles on Clock (160K kilometre)

Aircon; Yes

UK Value £6500

Oz Value [Redbook]

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]* Private Price Guide

[/TD]

[TD]$24,300 - $27,600

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]* Trade In Price Guide

[/TD]

[TD]$19,900 - $23,200

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Hi

Like many others we're weighing up costs of selling/importing, be grateful for advice :)

Honda Civic 1.8 I-VTEC EX

2007 (57 plate)

Mileage = 77K

£6000

$14,000 (bit of a guess actually as I could only find the honda civic R type on redbook)

Aircon - yes

Many thanks

Sharon

Guest Guest67761
Hello Iron Lady. :ssign5:

Im seriously giving this some thought given the replacement cost etc. Heres my motor. {thanks!}

Audi A4 1.8T Sport (Convertible)

2004 (54 plate)

100k miles on Clock (160K kilometre)

Aircon; Yes

UK Value £6500

Oz Value [Redbook]

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]* Private Price Guide[/TD]

[TD]$24,300 - $27,600[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]* Trade In Price Guide[/TD]

[TD]$19,900 - $23,200[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I have found a few similar cars for sale in Australia although none with mileage as high so I would guess that one with this mileage might be worth around $22,000 maximum. With this in mind you would be looking at a total cost to get your car to Australia and on-road of around $8,850 which would mean it owes you around $19,000 in total including the current vehicle value. It's not a massive saving over buying one in Australia so it wouldn't be a "Category A" on our list but could still be a reasonable option if it was really an above average car and/or you were quite attached to it personally.

Regards,

Craig.