Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

Guest Guest67761
cheers,dude,will defininately ship it over:biggrin:.

Just let us know when you are ready to get started and we will be happy to help!

Hi there!

Could you run this one through your calculator please

52 plate Mitsubishi shogun sport limited edition animal, 2.5 TD, 70,000 miles on clock

diesal, air con, full leather interior

approx worth £5000

unsure of oz equivalent can't find it on redbook

Cheers

nik

Edited by nicmark

Hi, after some advice on the following 2 cars, ones my wife's both owned for over 12 months,

2008, MINI cooper diesel, 1.6 ltr, manual, 45,000 miles, air/con. UK value £9500. i can't seem to find a diesel mini on redbook.

2003 Citroen Xsara Picasso, 2.0lt, auto, 75, miles, air/con. UK value £1200. again i can't find it on redbook, am not sure if they sell them in oz?

any help would be much appreciated

seth

Car prices in Australia certainly are high compared to what you see around the UK, on most models anyway. Often it's good value to bring your current car with you but sometimes it's just not worth the trouble if the cost works out higher than a similar model in Australia or if it's an unusual model that will be really hard to resell in Australia ... of course if you plan to keep the car for many years then the Australian value and ease of sale may not be so much of a concern.

Did we already do some calculations for you? .. if not please let us know the vehicle details and I will be happy to research it for you?

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

- engine size & fuel type

- transmission

- mileage

- any special features or options

- does it have aircon

- realistic current UK market value

Hi Kakimoto,

I was wondering if you could calculate the feasability of importing my car? Details below:

SEAT Ibiza FR

SC Sport Coupe

2.0 ltr Diesel

6 speed manual

18000 miles

no special features

Climate controlled air con

UK value £11500

Thanks

Guest Guest67761
Hi there!

Could you run this one through your calculator please

52 plate Mitsubishi shogun sport limited edition animal, 2.5 TD, 70,000 miles on clock

diesal, air con, full leather interior

approx worth £5000

unsure of oz equivalent can't find it on redbook

Cheers

nik

Hi Nik,

The Shogun was sold in Australia as a Pajero. We had vehicles with very similar spec although there are not many with leather interior. As best I can tell this vehicle should be worth around $18,000 in Australia or maybe a little more if it's really appealing in person. The cost to get it here and on-road could be around $6,500 to $7,000 which would have the vehicle owing you around $14,500 all up. I would class this as Category A because it would be a good option to bring with you.

I hope this helps.

Craig.

Hi, after some advice on the following 2 cars, ones my wife's both owned for over 12 months,

2008, MINI cooper diesel, 1.6 ltr, manual, 45,000 miles, air/con. UK value £9500. i can't seem to find a diesel mini on redbook.

2003 Citroen Xsara Picasso, 2.0lt, auto, 75, miles, air/con. UK value £1200. again i can't find it on redbook, am not sure if they sell them in oz?

any help would be much appreciated

seth

Hello Seth,

2008 Mini Cooper

We never got the diesel version here so it would be a slightly oddball version and could be a little more expensive for servicing, insurance and also harder to resell eventually. A normal petrol version could be worth anything from around $22k upwards so I would assume this one might be a little less than $20k to be safe. Adding all of the costs to get it here and onroad, including the current car value, it would owe you just over $21k so it's not going to be a really good option unless you are really attached to the car. Category B.

2003 Citroen Xsara Picasso

The Picasso version of this car was never sold here and to be honest the Xsara is not a popular car here at all, so you would have great trouble reselling this vehicle, and considering the cost to get it here, higher insurance cost, etc then I would not suggest bringing this one with you. Category C

Let us know if you need any more information,

Craig.

Kia Ceed 2009, 1.6 Diesel, Air Con - £6,500 UK 19,000miles - Cant find same one in OZ Similiar to new Cerato Hatch, but cant find 2009 OZ price??

Thanks

This is a tough one because its a car that was never sold here so once again it will be harder and more expensive for things like insurance and resale. Assuming it was similar to a Cerato then it would end up costing close to the value of a Cerato once you get it here and on-road. The Ceed also shares it's platform with the Hyundai i30 which is a very popular car here in Australia and available in the same spec as your car with 1.6L diesel engine. With some slight haggling you would get an i30 for around the same price your Ceed would owe once it was on-road here, so that would be a much better option for anyone looking to buy the car from you. Unfortunately as good as this car is likely to be in the UK it's just not a good option to bring to Australia.

Cheers,

Craig.

Hi Kakimoto,

I was wondering if you could calculate the feasability of importing my car? Details below:

SEAT Ibiza FR

SC Sport Coupe

2.0 ltr Diesel

6 speed manual

18000 miles

no special features

Climate controlled air con

UK value £11500

Thanks

Seat has never really made a big push in Australia so there are not many around and most people would just have no idea about them. Basically this means that you could struggle for a long time to sell this car here for any reasonable price, and while you own it you will face quite high insurance costs from only a few insurance companies who will insure models not available in Australia. Although if it was a really appealing looking sports coupe/hatchback there could be a market here for it. We have a subculture in Australia of people who specifically want cars that are not mainstream, things like the Volkswagen Scirocco which until recently was an import only model was fetching a higher market value to real enthusiasts.

I would personally look at selling this one in the UK before you come over to avoid the possible headaches however if you are attached to the car and wanted to keep it for a while then you could bring it with you. The cost associated with importing this car would be somewhere around $8,000 (about £5,300) to get it shipped, import duty and taxes paid, and registration costs.

Best wishes,

Craig.

Hi, can you tell us how much we be likely to pay to ship are car out to Oz? Its a Renault Clio sport 197, We have owned if for about 3 years, it's a 2007 plate with 48k on the clock, has AC and all the extras. Worth approx £6/7k here and what I've managed to research it's worth around 20k in Oz but they seem very hard to find.

I will be needing a van as I'm a builder is it best to buy something here as I seen prices are quite high I have an old transit now but I don't think it will service the long journey as its more rust than van!!!

any advice will be gratefully received.

thanks

Guest Guest67761
Hi, can you tell us how much we be likely to pay to ship are car out to Oz? Its a Renault Clio sport 197, We have owned if for about 3 years, it's a 2007 plate with 48k on the clock, has AC and all the extras. Worth approx £6/7k here and what I've managed to research it's worth around 20k in Oz but they seem very hard to find.

I will be needing a van as I'm a builder is it best to buy something here as I seen prices are quite high I have an old transit now but I don't think it will service the long journey as its more rust than van!!!

any advice will be gratefully received.

thanks

There are not a huge about of Renault Clio Sport 197 models around in Australia but there are a few similar available at the moment with asking prices around $20,000. Realistically yours being a personal import would most likely be worth around $15,000 which is about what it would owe you once you include the costs involved to get it to Australia and on the road here. If you can get closer to the £7,000 for it in the UK then I would look at selling it there, otherwise if you find that it's only going to sell for less than £6,000 you could look at bringing it with you.

If the Transit is an older model and not in great condition then you should probably leave that behind too. The cost to get it here and on the road may not be worthwhile at all.

Thanks for that info. To be honest as we are moving to another culture I want to drive what the locals drive and fit in. We will probably sell the clio in the uk, then it is done with and no hassle later down the line. Then I can buy a nice big v8 ute!! If her indoors allows it. Thanks again

Guest RWLW28

Hi,

Wondered what category my car would be in and would it be worth taking?

Audi A4 Convertable

Right hand Drive

Diesel S-Line Final Edition

2009 plate

Value £16k ish

great condition

Also do you provide a complete package of moving my car as I want the least hassle as possible or is there any one that does?

Cheers,

RW

Guest Rach77

Hi Iron Chef,

Can you please advise on the following 2 cars that we are debating whether to take with us later this year?

1. 2010 Mazda 3 TS; 17000 miles; aircon; 1.6 L unleaded; 5 speed manual; 5 door hatchback

2. £8200

3. Model not sold in Australia but closest I could find was a 6 speed 2.0 L for $21000

1. 2006 Mazda 6 TS2; 50000 miles; aircon, 2.0L unleaded; 6 speed manual; 5 door hatchback

2. £2900

3. Model not sold in Australia but closest I could find is 2.3 L Mazda 6 Classic for $33000

Many thanks.

Guest Guest67761
Hi,

Wondered what category my car would be in and would it be worth taking?

Audi A4 Convertable

Right hand Drive

Diesel S-Line Final Edition

2009 plate

Value £16k ish

great condition

Also do you provide a complete package of moving my car as I want the least hassle as possible or is there any one that does?

Cheers,

RW

We never got this model here in diesel so it could be a hard one to sell and could also attract slightly higher annual insurance premiums, however I think it would be worth bring anyway. A similar model with petrol engine would sell here for around $44,000 so yours should be worth a little less being a personal import, although I would personally prefer the diesel model and would value it the same as a local model so it may just be a case of finding the right buyer. In any case it would cost you around $9,500 to bring it to Australia and would therefore owe you somewhere around $35,000 in total.

We can help with all stages of the process if required, including actual road registration once it's here depending on which city you are moving to?

Guest Guest67761
Hi Iron Chef,

Can you please advise on the following 2 cars that we are debating whether to take with us later this year?

1. 2010 Mazda 3 TS; 17000 miles; aircon; 1.6 L unleaded; 5 speed manual; 5 door hatchback

2. £8200

3. Model not sold in Australia but closest I could find was a 6 speed 2.0 L for $21000

1. 2006 Mazda 6 TS2; 50000 miles; aircon, 2.0L unleaded; 6 speed manual; 5 door hatchback

2. £2900

3. Model not sold in Australia but closest I could find is 2.3 L Mazda 6 Classic for $33000

Many thanks.

It's always a hard call when you have cars with smaller engines or lower specification than what was sold in Australia because they will always be "different" as far as insurance is concerned and therefore would normally attract higher annual premiums unless you can convince the insurer that it's 99% the same car that was sold here. Also it will be hard to sell a car that is arguably the lowest spec model on the market unless the price is also by far the lowest, so there would need to be a considerable saving in order to make it worthwhile bringing them with you.

2010 Mazda 3 TS

Based on your current valuation this car could cost around $7,000 to get to Australia and would therefore owe you around $20,000 which is actually more than the Aussie model which is higher spec ($21,000 is new car price - around $15,000 for a 2010 model currently) so I would not recommend this one for import to Australia. Category C.

2006 Mazda 6 TS2

A reasonable price for a similar car in Australia (although with 2.3L engine) would be around $14,000 to $16,000. Your car should cost you around $5,400 to bring here so it would owe around $10,000 in total. Even with the lower specification it would be a good car to keep and use here and you are not likely to lose money if you resell it soon after arriving, so this would be a decent prospect to bring with you. Category A/B.

Guest Rach77
It's always a hard call when you have cars with smaller engines or lower specification than what was sold in Australia because they will always be "different" as far as insurance is concerned and therefore would normally attract higher annual premiums unless you can convince the insurer that it's 99% the same car that was sold here. Also it will be hard to sell a car that is arguably the lowest spec model on the market unless the price is also by far the lowest, so there would need to be a considerable saving in order to make it worthwhile bringing them with you.

2010 Mazda 3 TS

Based on your current valuation this car could cost around $7,000 to get to Australia and would therefore owe you around $20,000 which is actually more than the Aussie model which is higher spec ($21,000 is new car price - around $15,000 for a 2010 model currently) so I would not recommend this one for import to Australia. Category C.

2006 Mazda 6 TS2

A reasonable price for a similar car in Australia (although with 2.3L engine) would be around $14,000 to $16,000. Your car should cost you around $5,400 to bring here so it would owe around $10,000 in total. Even with the lower specification it would be a good car to keep and use here and you are not likely to lose money if you resell it soon after arriving, so this would be a decent prospect to bring with you. Category A/B.

Thanks so much for your advice.

Hi, we're flying over to Perth in early June and I'm now wondering whether it's worth taking the car over. Could you tell me how long it could take, costs involved and whether it can be done between now and June?

Audi A5 Quattro Sport

2.0 TFSI petrol

54,000 miles

top spec, full leather, rear view camera, 20 inch Audi alloys etc

6 speed manual

air con.

approx value £18,500

Also would the car be difficult to sell on in the future?

Many thanks,

Andy

Hi, we're flying over to Perth in early June and I'm now wondering whether it's worth taking the car over. Could you tell me how long it could take, costs involved and whether it can be done between now and June?

Audi A5 Quattro Sport

2.0 TFSI petrol

54,000 miles

top spec, full leather, rear view camera, 20 inch Audi alloys etc

6 speed manual

air con.

approx value £18,500

Also would the car be difficult to sell on in the future?

Many thanks,

Andy

Well it's a category A - we never got the 2.0 TFSI motor here in the A5 BUT it was available here in a variety of other models, so it doesn't really represent a disadvantage. Being top spec and having 20inch wheels doesn't hurt its cause either, either does being a manual.

Email me via here for costs involved, and yes it can be sorted before June, although it will take longer to get it over and on the road.

Hi,

thanks for your previous reply, cat c & b for our cars. We have got almost to the day 14 months until we fly and my wife really wants to take a mini, however our 2008 mini cooper diesel was a B cat from yourselves, possibly due to the fact that diesel minis are not in oz until earliest i can find is 2009. so can you give me your advice on another 2 possibilities on minis.

UK price 10K

Mini cooper s

1.6 unleaded

30,00 miles

manual

air con, alloys. this would be more for me:biggrin:

Uk price 10K

mini cooper d

1.6 diesel

35,000 miles

manual

aircon alloys

If these are not worth bringing over them please let me know what you would spend 10-12K on to bring over:wacko::ssign16:any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi, Can you please give us advice as to whether its worth bringing my OH van across. (He is an electrician so will need a van once in oz)

Ford Transit (2010) Limited edition, Short wheel base, Air con, Alloys. 2.2L diesel, 115bhp, 6 speed gearbox

21k mileage, manual

UK Price approx 10k

Thanks

Sarah

Guest Guest67761
Hi

I have a 1965 Riley elf. Waiting for permit...

I have (half) read the pre- scheme.

Will I have to pay any duty/tax etc..in oz.

Sorry..totally clueless

This is a rare and unusual beast these days. I used to own a Riley Elf many years ago when I lived in New Zealand but I haven't seen one on more than 20 years now. Because of the age you would not have to pay import duty but you would still be up for GST based on the customs valuation once the vehicle arrives in Australia. Assuming it's not got a gold plated body or had £20k spent making it into a show car then it would likely be valued quite low therefore making the tax payable fairly small.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi,

thanks for your previous reply, cat c & b for our cars. We have got almost to the day 14 months until we fly and my wife really wants to take a mini, however our 2008 mini cooper diesel was a B cat from yourselves, possibly due to the fact that diesel minis are not in oz until earliest i can find is 2009. so can you give me your advice on another 2 possibilities on minis.

UK price 10K

Mini cooper s

1.6 unleaded

30,00 miles

manual

air con, alloys. this would be more for me:biggrin:

Uk price 10K

mini cooper d

1.6 diesel

35,000 miles

manual

aircon alloys

If these are not worth bringing over them please let me know what you would spend 10-12K on to bring over:wacko::ssign16:any advice would be much appreciated.

The trouble with any Mini is that the value in the UK is just too high compared to the Australian value once you allow for the import costs. The diesel one you mention above works out to around the same as buying a similar model in Australia, however the petrol one is a little better coming in around $23,500 compared to a similar local vehicle at around $29,000 meaning an import model might sell for $25,000 making this a Category B by our calculations anyway.

The best options are always luxury or semi-exotic vehicles as they hold their value extremely well in Australia. Small cars tend not to work out as well unless the are special also, for example an Audi TT, BMW Z4, Mercedez Benz SLK 200K, Porsche Boxster, etc. Otherwise you could look at larger cars but again keeping with the luxury, exclusive or exotic models would return the best value for money.

I hope this helps.

Craig

Hi, Can you please give us advice as to whether its worth bringing my OH van across. (He is an electrician so will need a van once in oz)

Ford Transit (2010) Limited edition, Short wheel base, Air con, Alloys. 2.2L diesel, 115bhp, 6 speed gearbox

21k mileage, manual

UK Price approx 10k

Thanks

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Assuming this Transit is already kitted out for it's intended use then it would cost more to get a new one in Australia and have it fitted with the necessary gear. On the other hand if there is no fit out required then it would be a close call on the viability of bring it with you. Including the cost of transporting it to Australia along with everything else it would end up owing you around $24,000 to $25,000 and you can get a similar model in Australia for $27,000 already.

Let me know if you need any more information at all.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest muirzoid

Hi, BMW 330ci, 2004 petrol, 74000 miles, £6500, would it be worth brining?

4) a customs value at 75% of the normal market value - does this mean that I would have to pay the Oz government 75% of the australian value?

Thanks

Guest Guest67761
Hi, BMW 330ci, 2004 petrol, 74000 miles, £6500, would it be worth brining?

4) a customs value at 75% of the normal market value - does this mean that I would have to pay the Oz government 75% of the australian value?

Thanks

If this car is a coupe then it would be a fairly good option to import coming in around $4,000 under the value of a similar model in Australia, otherwise if its a convertible model then that would make it an excellent car to bring as it would end up costing around $8,000 less than a similar local vehicle.

As part of the import process Australian Customs will have the car valued once it arrives in Australia in order to calculate the import duty and GST. As we have no way of knowing exactly what their valuation will be we use an estimated value of around 75% of the normal Australian market value as this usually works out fairly close to the final valuation. You only pay 5% import duty and 10% GST on the customs value.

Let us know if you needed any more information and/or wanted to bring this car to Australia.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest Macadamia

Is this worth it?

2009 HYUNDAI I800 2.5 CRDI STYLE (iMax in Aus) 64Km

UK Price: £11000

Redbook Trade Price: $22-25K

Redbook Private Price: 26-30K

Thanks,