Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

Hi Iron Man!

Yeah, from parkers.co.uk. Its quite an old model now, still a cracking car. I might get any work done to it now before i go then, time belt, alloys etc etc

Cheers, much appreciated!!!

"Hi, I am totally unsure what to do with my car.

Its a Toyota Celica, 2001, X, 83k mileage

£1000 in UK

$14000 Aus

145bhp

Many thanks,

Dave

(Help!)"

2002 Saab 9-3 Aero Hot 140000m Aircon

Uk £2000

Au £8130

It's saying Category A, but I'd probably bump that to a B because of the mileage. If you're a Saab nut (and I know how Saab owners get attached!), then bring it over.

hi sorry its a sept 2008 ( older stye)

Yeah Redbook says $26-28K so you're pretty close, it's Category A.

Hi Iron Man!

Yeah, from parkers.co.uk. Its quite an old model now, still a cracking car. I might get any work done to it now before i go then, time belt, alloys etc etc

Cheers, much appreciated!!!

"Hi, I am totally unsure what to do with my car.

Its a Toyota Celica, 2001, X, 83k mileage

£1000 in UK

$14000 Aus

145bhp

Many thanks,

Dave

(Help!)"

Yeah get your servicing work done before you leave, it's generally more expensive here.

Guest msouth5000

Hi,

please can you have a look at a 2007 audi a6 2.0lt TDI, 85000 miles, with dual aircon, £7000 max, $30,000

What do you think?

Thanks for your help

M

Hi,

please can you have a look at a 2007 audi a6 2.0lt TDI, 85000 miles, with dual aircon, £7000 max, $30,000

What do you think?

Thanks for your help

M

Category A, no probs there.

Hi, Can you have a look at Fiesta Zetec S 2002MY, AC, ABS, only 20000miles from New.

Book value here in the UK is around £650-£750.

If that's all they're worth (and presuming it's a 1.6 litre) then it's Category B...just.

1) Year 2006 /make BMW /model 325i Coupe (E92) /mileage 60000 Miles /aircon=YES

2) UK Value / AUD=14696 / GBP=10000

3) Aus Value / AUD=40000 / GBP=27218

Thanks

I picked it even before I checked it but yes, Category A.

Thanks for that sir. Any chance you could share the calculation? I would love to get an idea of costs. Cheers.

In broad terms, it's a $30K car here, and it will owe you around $20K all up to import the car, get the work done and have it ready for registration (that's including the UK value at GBP7K). In other words, you'd be roughly $10K in front.

Hi

please have a look and give us honest advice.

1-toyota yaris 2007 3dr 57plate 36k on the clock -no aircon

2-uk value £5000-aud7500

3-aus value aus15200 uk £10300

Cheers A&D:biggrin:

It's borderline even with it, but without aircon, you're better off selling it in the UK.

Hi,

2007 Landrover Freelander 2 GS Diesel with ac and 70,000 miles

Uk price 13,000

Oz price 50,000

Much appreciated mate Iron chef!

That's an easy one - Category A.

Sorry Iron chef. Also have the following vehicle.

1. 2004 mitsubishi shogun 4work commercial swb. 3.2 diesel, ac, 136000.

2. £5000

3. Can not find a short wheel base commercial model for sale anywhere!

Thanks Iron chef

In Australia they're called a Pajero (which apparently means "wanker" in Spanish, so they dropped that name for Europe and South America...), they were never sold here in 2004 (discontinued in 1999, re-introduced in 2006), but doing a bit of guesstimation in terms of value, I'd put it just into category A, partly because there would be some Mitsubishi nut here who'd pay good money for it because of its rarity in Australia when the time comes to sell it.

Hi

1. 2006 ford mondeo 2.0 turbo diesel titanium, ac, 130000 miles

2. uk price £3000

3. Can not find one of these for sale any where in oz, looked on redbook, gumtree and ebay. Plenty upto 2002 and then a break until 2007. Bit odd? Thanks.

You know how to pick them! The Mark 2 Mondeo was never sold here either - they dropped the Mondeo after the Mk 1 finished, then started bringing them in again when the Mark 3 came out. Based on a potential sale price of $15K here, it would be a category A, but I'd err on the side of putting it in Category B.

Thanks Iron Chef, that is so help full. Another quick question about imports is i presume that the speedo clock has to be changed to kilometers? They have to do it when importing a car from uk to mainland europe. Other than the ac gas being changed, what else needs to be changed on the car itself?

Hi, would be interested in this as we have all but discounted bringing our car and biting the bullet and buying a replacement when we arrive.

We have a 2007 Tiptronic Porsche Bosxter, 15,000 miles, with aircon, value in Uk about £23k and on website you provided link to it shows between $108-139k under the used cars section

Would love to see you view.

Richard

Thanks Iron Chef, that is so help full. Another quick question about imports is i presume that the speedo clock has to be changed to kilometers? They have to do it when importing a car from uk to mainland europe. Other than the ac gas being changed, what else needs to be changed on the car itself?

The changes for registration are fairly minor - if your car has both km/h and mph marked on it you'll be fine, although it will probably help selling it later on if the car only has km/h, in which case, get it converted before you leave.

Hi, would be interested in this as we have all but discounted bringing our car and biting the bullet and buying a replacement when we arrive.

We have a 2007 Tiptronic Porsche Bosxter, 15,000 miles, with aircon, value in Uk about £23k and on website you provided link to it shows between $108-139k under the used cars section

Would love to see you view.

Richard

You're kidding right? It's a Porsche! It's as good as money in the bank! (PS the Australian price you listed was what they cost new, not current values, but even still you'd be a long way in front bringing it over).

Guest Guest26110

Hi Iron Chef

2007 Hyundai Matrix Atlantic, 40,000 miles with air conditioning £4,000

I looked on redbook and found the Hyundai Elantra Lavita (as its know in Australia). Could only see a 2002 on there, $7,000 vehicle had done 160,176 kms, so this one is 5 years older than mine.

Look forward to you reply :-)

Hi Iron Chef

2007 Hyundai Matrix Atlantic, 40,000 miles with air conditioning £4,000

I looked on redbook and found the Hyundai Elantra Lavita (as its know in Australia). Could only see a 2002 on there, $7,000 vehicle had done 160,176 kms, so this one is 5 years older than mine.

Look forward to you reply :-)

Realistically, Category C - sell it there :)

Guest gavnicjacflo

Hi Iron Chef

We have a Mazda5 2.0sport diesel 2007, 60,000 miles, UK value £5900, Aus value not been able to find it in the redbook. Air con

Thanks

Hello Mr Iron Chef

I notice no one's given you a Vauxhall Vectra to get your teeth into. So here it goes.

2006 Vectra, SRI, diesel, 1.9 CDTI, 49k miles, full service history, built in sat nav, air con oh oh and cruise control......and my hubby told me to tell you its a 6 speed manual??!!? Silver.

UK value approx £4,500k and I'm really sorry, but I couldn't find it on red book to get a value for it. :-s

Good luck and Thank you :-*

J'sOZ

Hi,

2007 Landrover Freelander 2 GS Diesel with ac and 70,000 miles

Uk price 13,000

Oz price 50,000

Much appreciated mate Iron chef!

Not wanting to contradict IC on this but I have an interest in these as originally I was thinking of shipping my 2008 FL2 HSE. In Oz, they do not sell any lower spec models, only SE & HSE. Going off Redbook, a 2007 SE diesel has a book price average $26,500. A GS is two specs lower than the SE and with above average miles, I wouldn't value it at $50k but closer to $20k. Thought it was best to point this out now rather than you ship it over and find out later.

Guest mclintock

Hey Iron Chef,

I've just joined up as I have landed a job in Sydney starting in April. I have two cars, one which I have owned for 3 years, and one which my missus has owned for 11 months (so should be OK by April I guess?).

My car is a 2008 Audi S5 which I have owned from new - with 35,000 miles. My missus car is a 2004 BMW 645i convertible, 3rd owner from new, 75,000 miles.

From what I can see, it is worth bring these with me, however I am not sure on the following;

* If your service does not cover inland freight, can you make any recommendations for whom to get this the 150-odd miles to Southampton? Whom have your other customers used, and what are some examples of the cost? Does such a company simply 'drop it at the wharf' and go?

* Do you use or recommend a specific shipping company? I am doing some research and it seems that RORO can lead to on board damage which shipping companies are loathe to accept responsibility for?

* Am I allowed to sell the cars as soon as I arrive? Could I even advertise them now and - if so - where is a good place to start. Someone has told me drive.com.au is the best place to advertise?

* Can I apply for import approval now, or must I wait before I have landed in Oz to do this?

Thank you - James.

Hi Iron Chef

We have a Mazda5 2.0sport diesel 2007, 60,000 miles, UK value £5900, Aus value not been able to find it in the redbook. Air con

Thanks

The diesel version is the MZR-CD in Australia, at a market value of $18,000 here, it's a category A.

Hello Mr Iron Chef

I notice no one's given you a Vauxhall Vectra to get your teeth into. So here it goes.

2006 Vectra, SRI, diesel, 1.9 CDTI, 49k miles, full service history, built in sat nav, air con oh oh and cruise control......and my hubby told me to tell you its a 6 speed manual??!!? Silver.

UK value approx £4,500k and I'm really sorry, but I couldn't find it on red book to get a value for it. :-s

Good luck and Thank you :-*

J'sOZ

Hi :) Bad news for hubby - realistically it's a Category C. Unfortunately Vectras suffered from fairly poor resale over here, which is a shame because they're a bloody nice car in my opinion. They were over-priced here new, which meant they were more expensive than the larger Holden Commodore. Tell the other half he can pick up a manual 3.2 litre V6 here for the same money he would've spent bringing your car over...

Not wanting to contradict IC on this but I have an interest in these as originally I was thinking of shipping my 2008 FL2 HSE. In Oz, they do not sell any lower spec models, only SE & HSE. Going off Redbook, a 2007 SE diesel has a book price average $26,500. A GS is two specs lower than the SE and with above average miles, I wouldn't value it at $50k but closer to $20k. Thought it was best to point this out now rather than you ship it over and find out later.

I'm glad you picked up on that, because I didn't read it carefully enough! $50K is the new price in Australia, not the current market values. And if you can get GBP13K for it in the UK, scottsam, you're better off selling it there, is it's bumped down to a Category C.

Hey Iron Chef,

I've just joined up as I have landed a job in Sydney starting in April. I have two cars, one which I have owned for 3 years, and one which my missus has owned for 11 months (so should be OK by April I guess?).

My car is a 2008 Audi S5 which I have owned from new - with 35,000 miles. My missus car is a 2004 BMW 645i convertible, 3rd owner from new, 75,000 miles.

From what I can see, it is worth bring these with me, however I am not sure on the following;

* If your service does not cover inland freight, can you make any recommendations for whom to get this the 150-odd miles to Southampton? Whom have your other customers used, and what are some examples of the cost? Does such a company simply 'drop it at the wharf' and go?

* Do you use or recommend a specific shipping company? I am doing some research and it seems that RORO can lead to on board damage which shipping companies are loathe to accept responsibility for?

* Am I allowed to sell the cars as soon as I arrive? Could I even advertise them now and - if so - where is a good place to start. Someone has told me drive.com.au is the best place to advertise?

* Can I apply for import approval now, or must I wait before I have landed in Oz to do this?

Thank you - James.

Hi James, I can arrange the freight, that's no probs, but it's just not included in the costings on the calculator, mainly because every local transport job will be different (and be priced differently).

Send me an email via the website below and I'll go through all the rest of your questions with you.

PS I would highly advise against advertising your car, partly because the car is not in the country, and partly because the main purpose of the personal import scheme is to allow people to bring their beloved rides with them, not to make a profit. If you're seen to be advertising your car before you get your import approval, then DIT could rightfully turn around and say sorry your reasons for importing your cars aren't in synch with the scheme's regulations, and deny your import approval on that basis.