Dear Australia...

whichway

Dear Australia,

It’s nearly time for me to go home...phew.

In my opinion you are a very kind country, I cannot complain at how I have been treated in hospital, how I have been rewarded for having an Ozzie baby or the competitive pay rates and work conditions in my job. I used to think when I walked into the shops and someone said “How are you?” why are they asking cos they don’t care, but now I have grown to think it’s ok. I have actually found most people I’ve dealt with very accommodating and polite and I definitely think the Ozzies are the most honest people, which I think is great! I love my chiropractor, my colleagues, my boss, my vet, my GP and nurse, their receptionists, the people at the video shop, my landlady and the people at the chippy I have never found as many people who are providing a service to be as polite as these. And it might not sound much but even someone making polite conversation when you are feeling lonely makes a huge difference. I am grateful for the midwife at the hospital who let me cry reassured me.

I like having a laundry, being able to wear short shorts when it’s hot (even though I am a bit overweight). I do like that I can pretty much wear anything and no one would bat an eyelid.

I can honestly say I won’t miss you Australia but I have had a lot of opportunities here, career and financial wise, that I wouldn’t have in the UK. I won’t miss your hot weather or brown grass, big bugs or snakes and lizards, but I’ll miss seeing the odd roo, koala bear and I’ll definitely miss seeing the lovely parrots in their flocks outside free.

I am grateful for the lessons I’ve learned here and I am grateful to all the people who have shown me kindness. And I am so grateful you allowed me to have my wonderful child here.

I’ll be away in a wee while and I doubt I’ll be back...to live anyway....but I don’t think you’ll miss me either.

All the best.....WW

Dear Australia,

It’s nearly time for me to go home...phew.

In my opinion you are a very kind country, I cannot complain at how I have been treated in hospital, how I have been rewarded for having an Ozzie baby or the competitive pay rates and work conditions in my job. I used to think when I walked into the shops and someone said “How are you?” why are they asking cos they don’t care, but now I have grown to think it’s ok. I have actually found most people I’ve dealt with very accommodating and polite and I definitely think the Ozzies are the most honest people, which I think is great! I love my chiropractor, my colleagues, my boss, my vet, my GP and nurse, their receptionists, the people at the video shop, my landlady and the people at the chippy I have never found as many people who are providing a service to be as polite as these. And it might not sound much but even someone making polite conversation when you are feeling lonely makes a huge difference. I am grateful for the midwife at the hospital who let me cry reassured me.

I like having a laundry, being able to wear short shorts when it’s hot (even though I am a bit overweight). I do like that I can pretty much wear anything and no one would bat an eyelid.

I can honestly say I won’t miss you Australia but I have had a lot of opportunities here, career and financial wise, that I wouldn’t have in the UK. I won’t miss your hot weather or brown grass, big bugs or snakes and lizards, but I’ll miss seeing the odd roo, koala bear and I’ll definitely miss seeing the lovely parrots in their flocks outside free.

I am grateful for the lessons I’ve learned here and I am grateful to all the people who have shown me kindness. And I am so grateful you allowed me to have my wonderful child here.

I’ll be away in a wee while and I doubt I’ll be back...to live anyway....but I don’t think you’ll miss me either.

All the best.....WW

Best read while listening to Australia's national anthem in the background

Guest GoldCoastMag

Be happy, whichway, and look after yourself and have fun. You obviously are going home with a huge bonus, your little aussie.

I am glad you have positives to look back on and can call this an adventure and will have lots of stories to tell.

Have a safe trip.

Good luck with the move whichway, sounds like you are more than ready! Been back 6 months myself.... people have moved on and we are in a new area so are really starting from scratch trying to build friendships. Some family members have been a letdown and added lots of un-neccessary stress, others have been fab. I really lurve the area we moved too, family is an hour away in different directions and at first I wondered whether we had done the right thing but is very clear we have. The school my 5 yr old goes too could be made for him, he is so settled, and I have found so many like-minded friendly people in the last 6 mths than I did in 6 yrs of Perth. I think once you get that sense of belonging in place (so to speak) everything else starts slowly coming together. It hasnt been easy at times for us, but has been just a case of keep getting out there and talking to people, going out to playgroups/helping at school/playdates etc. any excuse to mingle/network with someone! ha! ha! Takes time to loose the new kid on the block tag, but you get there, like I keep saying home is where the heart is..... hard to explain it until you experience it. Good luck. you will be fine. x

Good luck with the move whichway, sounds like you are more than ready! Been back 6 months myself.... people have moved on and we are in a new area so are really starting from scratch trying to build friendships. Some family members have been a letdown and added lots of un-neccessary stress, others have been fab. I really lurve the area we moved too, family is an hour away in different directions and at first I wondered whether we had done the right thing but is very clear we have. The school my 5 yr old goes too could be made for him, he is so settled, and I have found so many like-minded friendly people in the last 6 mths than I did in 6 yrs of Perth. I think once you get that sense of belonging in place (so to speak) everything else starts slowly coming together. It hasnt been easy at times for us, but has been just a case of keep getting out there and talking to people, going out to playgroups/helping at school/playdates etc. any excuse to mingle/network with someone! ha! ha! Takes time to loose the new kid on the block tag, but you get there, like I keep saying home is where the heart is..... hard to explain it until you experience it. Good luck. you will be fine. x

That's a nice post, I hope it works out like that for me. x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest17301

What a refreshingly honest and fantastic post WW. I'm sure Aus wll miss you for people like you are part of what makes it the great country it is! Enjoy your homecoming...home is where the heart is...... and your lies in the UK. The very best of luck to you! Wishing for you much happiness and peace x

Congrats WW, all the very best to you, takes guts to do this be proud of the fact you gave it a go and had the courage to realise you weren't happy and knew what you wanted. Echoing Fiona1975 "The very best of luck to you! Wishing for you much happiness and peace" but you your not getting a kiss from me..LOL Oh to be home!

Archived