Shortest Time in Oz?

alandeej

So what is the solution then Kate? People who hate Oz not to say anything because it might be inconvenient to some?

You've just said it yourself though haven't you? "People who hate Oz". There's been plenty on the forum, and still is, but just how can they "hate Oz" when they've been in the country for only 4 weeks and haven't moved out of a single rural town?.........even if they've been her for 20 yrs, if they hadn't experienced other towns/states they should clarify that their experience is just that.........of one particular person and place and not appl;icable to all or Oz as a whole

I've said it before (and I've said that before too) that there's a huge assumption that everyone who loves living where they live in Oz, hate the UK. Not once have I ever posted, (as much as I couldn't wait to leave the place) that the UK is crap........or criticised it's immigration policies, or the state of the economy etc etc as some do (which is their right). I've only ever posted my experiences of my home town and always made it clear that the problems that I had there were down to the town and not the UK as a whole. If everyone did likewise, there'd be none of this "them and us" stuff.

It's a forum for giving advice and if anyone voiced their experiences that didn't sit comfortably with mine, then I feel that I owe it to prospective migrants to question the statements made ............not question their experiences, merely question and advise that just because those experiences were experienced by one person, it isn't neccessarily the experiences of another. That in no way should be seen as questioning or diminishing that person's experiences, (which you seem to infer that Skani has done), it's merely advising others that it doesn't apply to all persons and all locations.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Pom Queen

Yes but sometimes we have to back off and make allowances, if someone is really down and depressed it doesn't help if they are questioned for every comment, I think both sides need to make allowances.

You've just said it yourself though haven't you? "People who hate Oz". There's been plenty on the forum, and still is, but just how can they "hate Oz" when they've been in the country for only 4 weeks and haven't moved out of a single rural town?.........even if they've been her for 20 yrs, if they hadn't experienced other towns/states they should clarify that their experience is just that.........of one particular person and place and not appl;icable to all or Oz as a whole

I've said it before (and I've said that before too) that there's a huge assumption that everyone who loves living where they live in Oz, hate the UK. Not once have I ever posted, (as much as I couldn't wait to leave the place) that the UK is crap........or criticised it's immigration policies, or the state of the economy etc etc as some do (which is their right). I've only ever posted my experiences of my home town and always made it clear that the problems that I had there were down to the town and not the UK as a whole. If everyone did likewise, there'd be none of this "them and us" stuff.

It's a forum for giving advice and if anyone voiced their experiences that didn't sit comfortably with mine, then I feel that I owe it to prospective migrants to question the statements made ............not question their experiences, merely question and advise that just because those experiences were experienced by one person, it isn't neccessarily the experiences of another. That in no way should be seen as questioning or diminishing that person's experiences, (which you seem to infer that Skani has done), it's merely advising others that it doesn't apply to all persons and all locations.

Guest Guest31881

This is one of the most difficult forums to moderate, a lot of members who post on here are frustrated and angry, now that frustration and anger may or may not be justified but it has to be respected. they quite often have spent a lot of time, money and effort in getting to Australia. Then they find for one reason or another that they cannot settle here. It could be financial reasons, there could be work problems it could be homesickness or perhaps one of many other problems.

In an effort to justify their anger and frustration some ( not everyone) will blame Australia or the Australian nation for their anger, misery and frustrations. This is what then starts the us and them arguments and most of the time I feel that the genuine poster does not mean most of what is said, but feels after being attacked that they need to justify their position. Despite what a lot of members think. The mods and admin are not idiots and can pretty well forecast who will respond to a certain type of post and who will back them up and who will argue against. I normally find that a lot of things are said in anger or on the spur of the moment that could well be regretted a few seconds later. I do not think there are many who truly hate Australia or the Australians, just as I cannot think of anyone who truly hates the UK or its citizens. But these are impressions that are taken away from the forum by visitors to this thread and other threads that start a "Them & Us argument". I have recently been accused of picking on a member because I posted an opposing view. The member concerned in my opinion is not happy unless they feel that they are being picked on and so i just let it pass by...

When members post on this forum it gets heated, it gets angry but one thing i do not think it does is put people off coming to Australia, I have never once seen someone say i have cancelled my visa application because of the threads on MBTUK. there is no need to defend your position on the forums, in fact those who do and start the arguments are actually drawing attention to the negative comments and helping the negativity (about UK or Australia) be spread around.

There's been plenty on the forum, and still is, but just how can they "hate Oz" when they've been in the country for only 4 weeks and haven't moved out of a single rural town?.........even if they've been her for 20 yrs, if they hadn't experienced other towns/states they should clarify that their experience is just that.........of one particular person and place and not appl;icable to all or Oz as a whole

I have just mentioned in my previous post that emotions -in most cases I would have thought - run high, and sometimes just moving out of a rural town or any town, even a state is not that simple because they're either tied to their jobs or there are visa restrictions or both or there are other reasons, and I can only imagine how awful that must feel and have no other solution but to quit and therefore there is probably a lot of anger involved (towards Australia).

I've said it before (and I've said that before too) that there's a huge assumption that everyone who loves living where they live in Oz, hate the UK. Not once have I ever posted, (as much as I couldn't wait to leave the place) that the UK is crap........or criticised it's immigration policies, or the state of the economy etc etc as some do (which is their right).
I don't think anybody is talking about the UK here precisely.

I've only ever posted my experiences of my home town and always made it clear that the problems that I had there were down to the town and not the UK as a whole. If everyone did likewise, there'd be none of this "them and us" stuff.

Are you sure?

/It's a forum for giving advice and if anyone voiced their experiences that didn't sit comfortably with mine, then I feel that I owe it to prospective migrants to question the statements made ............not question their experiences, merely question and advise that just because those experiences were experienced by one person, it isn't neccessarily the experiences of another. That in no way should be seen as questioning or diminishing that person's experiences, (which you seem to infer that Skani has done), it's merely advising others that it doesn't apply to all persons and all locations.

Yes, and it should be a two way street

Quote: “Yes but sometimes we have to back off and make allowances, if someone is really down and depressed it doesn't help if they are questioned for every comment, I think both sides need to make allowances.”

This is the real point for me. Even when people share a common experience our personalities, backgrounds, likes and dislikes mean that as individuals we will remember different aspects of what took place, and focus primarily on those things that matter to us personally. I doubt that will ever change and MBTTUK will always be a part of the forum in which very different views in relation to Australia are aired and argued however, I think these are also the threads where people are perhaps the most vulnerable.

Some posters have in the past written about how depressed and unhappy they are, only to be jumped on for describing an aspect of life that is not necessarily common to the rest of Australia. While I don’t really have an issue with others questioning facts, I do think that posters on MBTTUK could and should be cut a little slack sometimes. Yes some posts are less balanced and objective than they could be, but it is hard to see the world in a balanced manner when you are feeling depressed and alone, and I doubt it helps very much to have your thoughts and feelings dissected in what does sometimes seem to be a very challenging manner.

I do understand how infuriating it can be to read what appears to be a lot of nonsense about the country you are happily living in, but perhaps the balance could be redressed with a bit more tact and understanding sometimes.

• 2 months later...

Just an update on my thread, that we will be heading home at the begining of May and we looking forward to leaving Oz.

I have chosen to 'say it as it is' and for those that know of me will say 'Good ridance' to us because I don't like it here. The main reasons for leaving, being the job does not live upto expectations, Geraldton itself being very isolated and the salary -v- the cost of living to name a few.

It's just not home!

Just an update on my thread, that we will be heading home at the begining of May and we looking forward to leaving Oz.

I have chosen to 'say it as it is' and for those that know of me will say 'Good ridance' to us because I don't like it here. The main reasons for leaving, being the job does not live upto expectations, Geraldton itself being very isolated and the salary -v- the cost of living to name a few.

It's just not home!

Least you gave it a go, best o luck for the future

Guest Ptp113

It's just not home!

It's Geraldton, not all of Australia. Poms who think in these loopy ways like you amaze me. That would be like going to Bradford or some other shite parft of england and saying it "must be all the same". Weird doesn't come close to describing people who think like this.

It's Geraldton, not all of Australia. Poms who think in these loopy ways like you amaze me. That would be like going to Bradford or some other shite parft of england and saying it "must be all the same". Weird doesn't come close to describing people who think like this.

OMG, you are so right, we lived just outside of Bradford, your comment really made me laugh. Now if they were talking about Mt Magnet, I would have sympathy, but we quite like Geraldton...

But he's not saying Geraldton is all of Australia, is he? He's saying the job doesn't live up to expectations, he doesn't like where he's living and he's not as well off as he thought he was going to be, either. All completely valid reasons, and if you're on a 457 and therefore linked to that particular job, if you don't like the job and the location of the job, then you go home, don't you? That is, after all, the point of that visa, it's only so you can be here doing that one job

Why are you so angry all the time? I find your posts bizarre

Guest Ptp113
But he's not saying Geraldton is all of Australia, is he? He's saying the job doesn't live up to expectations, he doesn't like where he's living and he's not as well off as he thought he was going to be, either. All completely valid reasons, and if you're on a 457 and therefore linked to that particular job, if you don't like the job and the location of the job, then you go home, don't you? That is, after all, the point of that visa, it's only so you can be here doing that one job

Why are you so angry all the time? I find your posts bizarre

I'm not angry, just gobsmacked at how poms behave these days, so very different from the old 'ten pound poms' who actually had some intestinal fortitude unlike you and your ilk

I'm not angry, just gobsmacked at how poms behave these days, so very different from the old 'ten pound poms' who actually had some intestinal fortitude unlike you and your ilk

You clearly need to read up or even watch shows about ten pound poms before you make parallels...many if not all the issues that people have now are the same may be varying degrees of magnitude...I suggest you do your research my good sir/mam...before you castigate your next victim...

To be honest - I would have really struggled to live in a small town like Geraldton and for me .... it is just too far away from Perth (480km for those who don't know).

Good luck in your return home.

You clearly need to read up or even watch shows about ten pound poms before you make parallels...many if not all the issues that people have now are the same may be varying degrees of magnitude...I suggest you do your research my good sir/mam...before you castigate your next victim...

Having been a ten quidder, I can say with more knowledge than you, the vast majority of 'em did not have a job to go to and just 'got on with it'. Sure, lots had a moan, but didn't bleat to all and sundry, they just 'backbone' that seems to be lacking these days...

What the 'eckinbottom...A job and accom waiting in a new land? I'm damned sure squillions more would have left Europe if that was offered.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Having been a ten quidder, I can say with more knowledge than you, the vast majority of 'em did not have a job to go to and just 'got on with it'. Sure, lots had a moan, but didn't bleat to all and sundry, they just 'backbone' that seems to be lacking these days...

What the 'eckinbottom...A job and accom waiting in a new land? I'm damned sure squillions more would have left Europe if that was offered.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Having read books, watched the interviews of people, and spoken to my two relatives who were ten pound poms that makes me less informed does it WHAT ARROGANCE you doth state...

Why they may not have had jobs, there was no media coverage, no emails, no mobiles to exacerbate the whinging, the false representation, the isolation the social out casting shall I continue.....I can go on and cite references and point you to my relatives.

While I would agree that people today are how shall I shall softer on that point you are correct, but I think you are being entirely unfair to those who choose to openly albeit through PIO whine or complain and assume others of another generation would not have done the same had they had the same means.....the point I am making is that if you actually read the stories and listen the general thematic ideas of why they didnt or dont like Oz are extremely similar, thats not even evaluating the state of the UK then and now...so if we consider that too one can make similar parallels that despite the UK then over 30% returned to the UK despite Oz being such a great place....so if you want to live in denial of the facts...there will always be people in both camps....one does not have to have lived history to know it or understand it thats why its called history, but being able to have asked first hand of those who had before I made a statement does make what I said wrong.

Guest Ptp113

Cheers, Bobj.

Ten pounders like had a go . The softies whinge and leave, no great loss.

Having read books, watched the interviews of people, and spoken to my two relatives who were ten pound poms that makes me less informed does it WHAT ARROGANCE you doth state...

Why they may not have had jobs, there was no media coverage, no emails, no mobiles to exacerbate the whinging, the false representation, the isolation the social out casting shall I continue.....I can go on and cite references and point you to my relatives.

While I would agree that people today are how shall I shall softer on that point you are correct, but I think you are being entirely unfair to those who choose to openly albeit through PIO whine or complain and assume others of another generation would not have done the same had they had the same means.....the point I am making is that if you actually read the stories and listen the general thematic ideas of why they didnt or dont like Oz are extremely similar, thats not even evaluating the state of the UK then and now...so if we consider that too one can make similar parallels that despite the UK then over 30% returned to the UK despite Oz being such a great place....so if you want to live in denial of the facts...there will always be people in both camps....one does not have to have lived history to know it or understand it thats why its called history, but being able to have asked first hand of those who had before I made a statement does make what I said wrong.

Doing it is quite different to reading it and listening...don't cha know? Not arrogance, merely stating facts.

Have to agree on some of the items, but it is NOT the same as experiencing it.

Cheers, Bobj.

I think people are losing sight of the purpose of the forum. Everybodies aspirations are different as well as their genetic makeup.We must acknowledge everyone sees things in a different way because of what may be going on in their lives at the time.We all need to think twice before making sweeping judgementson others who see things differently.

I think if we feel that a post is getting to us on a personal level its best to take leave and read the hundreds of others that are more conduicive to how we may think. Indeed i have been guilty of this and now just back off and take leave.Its an emotional time going to Oz and its en emotional time leaving. Lets support those who have made their decision either way.

Archived