Shortest Time in Oz?

alandeej

To be fair the post said that the high indigenous population had a bearing on how they feel. Have you lived in an Australian community with a high indigenous population? Unless you have first hand experience of the social problems associated with aboriginal communities, whether it be from working with or living amongst those communities, I wouldn't be so quick to judge.

Oh BONOX!! Gotta agree with Harpo...:arghh:

I've lived in the Kimberlies and Pilbara for 14 years and seen the many aspects of Aboriginal life.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm 25, Irish and live in Geraldton after 6months living in Sydney.. I love it here... I think it's a great place...

Back to the OP though - can you look for a job elsewhere and get them to take over your visa?! If you hate it so much it might be worth a look if you haven't already considered it..

Another poster commented that Kalgoorlie and Geraldton are similar, I doubt it, have heard accounts of Kalgoorlie and it does not sound a bit like Gero...

P.s Beef Sausages... Nom nom nom!!!! :yes:

Thanks for all the positive responses, I put about the sausages as a bit of tounge and cheek but overall I think where we have to live in Australia, namely Geraldton does have a bearing on how we feel, and dare I mention the high indiginous population here?

Unfortunatly due to the sponsored visa rescrictions we can't move to another company or another part of Australia. We like many others came to Australia in search of a better life but I am now working longer hours for less money and worse off finanically and life for my wife and children is no better so I think we will return to the UK in a few months to rebuild our lives in the UK and continue renovating our French farmhouse in Brittany.

But at least I have given it a go!

This is probably going to offend, so, apologies to start with. But you must have more money than sense. I think you should as soon as you can leave Australia and go and renovate your little farmhouse in France. I do hope that you speak fluent French!!

I feel sorry not for you, but for the company who has sponsored you and put their faith into the fact that you were going to be working for them for a certain amount of time, but more so, I feel sorry for any other people, who are really wanting to live in Australia and the fact that you have taken an opportunity away from those individuals in obtaining a sponsorship from an obviously decent company, didn’t you do any homework at all?

This is probably going to offend, so, apologies to start with. But you must have more money than sense. I think you should as soon as you can leave Australia and go and renovate your little farmhouse in France. I do hope that you speak fluent French!!

I feel sorry not for you, but for the company who has sponsored you and put their faith into the fact that you were going to be working for them for a certain amount of time, but more so, I feel sorry for any other people, who are really wanting to live in Australia and the fact that you have taken an opportunity away from those individuals in obtaining a sponsorship from an obviously decent company, didn’t you do any homework at all?

Well in fairness, I don't for a minute think that the company you feel so sorry for would think twice about dropping alandeej if it suited them in the morning. I don't think companies or businesses tend to be run as charities or altruistic bodies!

Australia is not for everyone and if someone doesn't like it here then I think you should afford them them some understanding, not insult them.

I too live in a small town in WA and it drives me mad that there is 1 supermarket that holds the monoply and sticks a doller or 2 extra on every item on the shelves. The pharmacy is the same as is every shop in the town. There is no decent fresh bread to be had! Very little organic produce to choose from, and what is on the shelves is tired and wilting because nobody buys it! Costs a fortune too. But then you find that sort of think in many small towns in the UK and Europe too.

I've lived in Perth too and wasn't overly delighted with all things australian. Like I said it's not for everyone and I found the macho males, the loud females, the brashness, the over selfconfidence in just being Australian a bore.

I don't like the media and how it uses such bad English all the time. eg "a girl who was shot in the head by an arrow has died..." An arrow shot a girl??? Oh lordy! I'm constantly correcting ABC news reports! Not to mention the lack of news from anywhere other than Western Australia. Thank god for the internet or I would begin to think the rest of the world didn't exist!

Anyway, I don't mean to be so negative about Australia. The avacados, tomatoes and bananas are fab!! It's too hot here where I live but the climate in Perth is pretty great! It's a great place for kids with so many oportunities for outdoor activities. I would worry about their education though.

And to the OP, I hear ya! An I've just been here a few months and am frantically job hunting to get back to Europe. Only ever came here as a temporary thing anyway but can't wait to go.... though will stick it untill after the winter anyway!!! ;-)

After all the employer took a risk when they employed someone who had not been there before. I know my current company were a lot happier knowing that I had lived in Kalgoorlie before, even if it was only for 18 months. And yes sudzy is right, they would drop you in a second if it suited their business plan. Now if we get sponsored we always have it written in a relocation contract that if the sponsoring company does decide to get rid of us, they must repatriate us to the UK. Then we would have the choice of staying or being shipped back for free. Which will be interesting as Andy's mine only has 2 years mine life left....

Companies who sponsor people to emigrate here are aware of the risks, but at the end of the day the shortage in these regional areas is because most Australians don't want to live and work there! I work in the technical side of a mining company and at my mine site the Australain:Foreigner ratio isn't too bad but in my boyfriends department there isn't a single Australian! There are two english, one sri lankan, 2 south africans and 2 zimbabweans (sp?). Most of the Australian mining professionals choose to do FIFO work so they can live in the big cities. So unless you live in a pretty far-out place then you can't really criticise others for not wanting to live there too. Some people will love it others will hate it.

I don't like the media and how it uses such bad English all the time. eg "a girl who was shot in the head by an arrow has died..." An arrow shot a girl??? Oh lordy!

Oh lordy!...............yes, it did..................the definition of shot if I'm not mistaken is something akin to "the firing or flightpath of a projectile"................personally, I consider a fired arrow to be a projectile................just being pedantic

Oh lordy!...............yes, it did..................the definition of shot if I'm not mistaken is something akin to "the firing or flightpath of a projectile"................personally, I consider a fired arrow to be a projectile................just being pedantic

Yes! So the arrow is the projectile not the projecting implement. It could be "shot in the head with an arrow" but not by an arrow! imho! :biggrin:

I don't like the media and how it uses such bad English all the time. eg "a girl who was shot in the head by an arrow has died..."

In fairness to the Aussie media, when quoting cricket scores they tend to be more gramatically correct than in England - they'll say "Australia needs 110 runs to win" whereas at home you'll hear "Australia need 110 runs to win"

It almost makes up for the silly way they invert the score by quoting wickets before runs. Almost. But not quite :-)

Yes! So the arrow is the projectile not the projecting implement. It could be "shot in the head with an arrow" but not by an arrow! imho! :biggrin:

Does it really matter? I've got better things to think of other than how the "natives" speak when I'm invited into their country. I know someone who's been here 5 yrs now and is still trying to halt her 8yr old's Aussie accent.............always correcting her. I asked her if she intended staying here for ever to which she answered in the affirmative.................what's all that about then???????? :goofy: What with bacon, sausages............made to their tastes............... and now how Aussies speak.............It's their language for heaven's sakes. :arghh:

Ah but just this second heard on the ABC National Radio news "the extent of his injuries are not known"

Should be the extent of his injuries is not known!

I know i'm just asking for it - to have my posts torn apart by proper English experts!!!!! :biglaugh:

Does it really matter? I've got better things to think of other than how the "natives" speak when I'm invited into their country. I know someone who's been here 5 yrs now and is still trying to halt her 8yr old's Aussie accent.............always correcting her. I asked her if she intended staying here for ever to which she answered in the affirmative.................what's all that about then???????? :goofy: What with bacon, sausages............made to their tastes............... and now how Aussies speak.............It's their language for heaven's sakes. :arghh:

It isn't "their language", it is the English language. :rolleyes:

Ah but just this second heard on the ABC National Radio news "the extent of his injuries are not known"

I know i'm just asking for it - to have my posts torn apart by proper English experts!!!!! :biglaugh:

what you mean is:

"the extent of his injuries are not knowun"

what you mean is:

"the extent of his injuries is not knowun"

FYP! :wink:

...and pronounciation is a different kettle of fish! :biggrin:

Goodness - it's a wonder you can tolerate PIO at all! You must suffer Post Traumatic Stress Disorder after reading almost any post.:shocked:

Seconded...

Goodness - it's a wonder you can tolerate PIO at all! You must suffer Post Traumatic Stress Disorder after reading almost any post.:shocked:

lol! Not at all! It's when a national broadcaster can't get basic grammer right at least most of the time, then I get a tad irritated!!! :rolleyes:

A decent company, I wish it was as I've been told a lot of lies to get me here especially with regard to pay and conditions. Yes I did intend to come to Australia to stay selling both my UK and french homes to fund the move as the company only paid for one way flights. I did do my homework but it does not compare with actually being here but I intend to return to the UK ASAP and renovate my french farmhouse (which is not little) as the part of Australia I have seen is characterless and I can speak french to answer your question.

Guest SupportPants

Agree with the comment on clumsy and inaccurate English. The errors come thick and fast - even in newspapers. It often takes a while to work out what is wrong! I wonder whether it's a rejection of authority/the stuffiness of England as the former mother country - along the lines of the use of monosyllabic sentences and 'catch all' phrases.

I think it's rather naive that people in this thread have said they feel sorry for the sponsor company. They employ people on 457s as they are CHEAP. Aussie companies are just as penny pinching as anywhere else and the work environment has developed along the US model without worker protection and bullying is common.

Guest perkipie

Hi Alandeej

Reading you post makes my heart ache :sad:

Since 2008 my husband and i thought australia (WA) was where we wanted to be. I am very happy to say we are still here in beautiful N.Wales and are soooo happy that all those mining companies etc didn't reply to his emails, job applications etc. We have taken our rose tinted specs off and have realised that we are so much better off where we are, my hubby has set up as a mobile plant fitter (is mega busy and earning lots of money!!!) and i am off to college to hopefully train as a midwife. Here is where we need to be and i am thankfull everyday. Australia is beautiful i am sure and we would like to visit it one day..... as a tourist.

I really hope that you manage to make it back to the UK. Can i just ask did you go there alone or are you there with your family? How are they coping?

PP

Putting "by an arrow" into Google news would seem to imply that use of the phrase is widely accepted by journalists around the world as being correct. https://www.google.com/search?q="shot+in+the+head+by+an+arrow"

It is also a shame you deleted your post about Winningest - which is listed in the Oxford English Dictionary:

Pronunciation: /ˈwɪnɪŋɪst/

[h=3]adjective[/h] North American informal having achieved the most success in competition: the winningest coach in pro-football history

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/winningest?q=winningest

Archived