Shortest Time in Oz?

alandeej

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Australia is definitely NOT the same country Australia wide. This has been my experience after living in 4 different Australian cities and country areas in 2 different states.

The "Australian" life others talk about on here is often so different to my "Australian" life that they may as well be living in a foreign country.

Okay, so what you're saying is that because your australian life is different to other people's australian life that they are inaccurate? Lets not forget the posts that others make on here are their experiences, their reality, be it positive or negative and just as accurate as yours, because it's experienced by them.

In the future shall I ask you and only you if I need accurate information about Australia?:biglaugh:

Guest annedan

Sounds crap. As they say, location, location.....etc. I have been here 4 months and am NOT going back to that muddy little island. QLD has it all. Cheap rent/ house prices, green hills, best beaches and waves in the world, cheaper food than the UK. Small town Australia should be avoided. MOVE. DYOR. good luck.....just don't go back.

Guest The Pom Queen
Sounds crap. As they say, location, location.....etc. I have been here 4 months and am NOT going back to that muddy little island. QLD has it all. Cheap rent/ house prices, green hills, best beaches and waves in the world, cheaper food than the UK. Small town Australia should be avoided. MOVE. DYOR. good luck.....just don't go back.

Welcome to the forum, don't worry you don't have to post in the MBTUK section of the forum there are plenty of others, you could even sign up to wwwlifeinqueensland.com :wink:

Okay, so what you're saying is that because your australian life is different to other people's australian life that they are inaccurate?

No!:no: What I said in the post I referred you to was that I object to posters making inaccurate and absurd generalisations about the entire country of Australia based on their experience of a particular location or circumstance.

Their experience is their experience and I DID NOT say their experience was inaccurate. But to conclude from their (often short) experience of one place in one state that "Australia is therefore...." - ie. what they experienced applies to all of Australia - is misleading to people who have little knowledge of Australia and are looking for factual information about where they might settle. It also shows an ignorance about the diversity of life in Australia (and having lived in 4 different cities and 2 country areas in 2 different states I have experienced this diversity myself).

However, if they say....I lived in this part of Australia and this was my experience there....that's fine.

There is a difference and I've tried to make it as clear as I can.

Just like to know what is the shortest time anyone has been in Australia before returning to the UK, I came to Australia to a small place called Geraldton in WA which in my opinion is no better than a 'Hick Town' I have only been here a short time but I knew the moment I stepped off the plane that I hated the place. I was so blinked that Australia was better than the UK, especially with the present economic climate, but so far Australia has proved to be overrated and overpriced, talk about 'rip off Britain' which is nothing compared to the Australia, rental is the biggest rip off followed by food prices. And as for embracing the Aussie way of life Sun, Beaches and bbq's, but the sun is too hot and has to be avoided, the beaches here are windswept and I'm already fed up with bbq's especially the crap Aussie beef sausages.

I have been told to give it longer here as the rule of the thumb is 2 years, but I can't see the point in stopping more than 6 months especially as my 20 year old son can not find work, and yet allegedly Australia is crying out for workers. For me Australia has turned out to be a disappointment throwing away a good life in the UK to live on the breadline in Australia, incidentally the bread is also crap here!

I have come over to Australia on a 457 visa with fellow Brits who think its great here, so I guess it's just me?

If you dont mind me saying, if you was having such a "good life" in the UK, why did you want to come anyway ?

No!:no: What I said in the post I referred you to was that I object to posters making inaccurate and absurd generalisations about the entire country of Australia based on their experience of a particular location or circumstance.

Their experience is their experience and I DID NOT say their experience was inaccurate. But to conclude from their (often short) experience of one place in one state that "Australia is therefore...." - ie. what they experienced applies to all of Australia - is misleading to people who have little knowledge of Australia and are looking for factual information about where they might settle. It also shows an ignorance about the diversity of life in Australia (and having lived in 4 different cities and 2 country areas in 2 different states I have experienced this diversity myself).

However, if they say....I lived in this part of Australia and this was my experience there....that's fine.

There is a difference and I've tried to make it as clear as I can.

I understand what you're saying Skani, but surely people who are reading info, any info about Oz have the intelligence to not to make the assumption that the whole of Australia is like that based on what one person says about their particular area. It is like that in every country, wherever you go in the world, every country has nice bits and shi77y bits.

Take the example of the OP of this thread, he's talking about Geraldton and not particularly about whole of Australia, but even in the beginning you more or less said that "well it's certainly not like that in my part of Australia, or my Australian life is not like that etc." of course it isn't, as you live in Tasmania, and I just feel like it is not particularly helpful to the OP or others, a little bit of understanding and tolerance toward others' experiences goes a long way, that's all.

Guest The Pom Queen
I understand what you're saying Skani, but surely people who are reading info, any info about Oz have the intelligence to not to make the assumption that the whole of Australia is like that based on what one person says about their particular area. It is like that in every country, wherever you go in the world, every country has nice bits and shi77y bits.

Take the example of the OP of this thread, he's talking about Geraldton and not particularly about whole of Australia, but even in the beginning you more or less said that "well it's certainly not like that in my part of Australia, or my Australian life is not like that etc." of course it isn't, as you live in Tasmania, and I just feel like it is not particularly helpful to the OP or others, a little bit of understanding and tolerance toward others' experiences goes a long way, that's all.

No, but you have to agree that believe it or not, people waiting to come over do live off every word posted, I know I did. Even yesterday I was on a site and was just about to email a guy to come and detail the car and under it I saw a bad review, there were lots of good ones but the bad one put me off and I decided not to bother. It's the same on a forum, if someone says Australia is crap, the people are unfriendly their is graffiti everywhere, then you tend to take that as true (yes I know it may sound silly believing the views of one person BUT we do it that's human nature). When we were first looking from the UK we had no idea where to go and we took everyones word as gospel, people kept telling us to go to Mornington so when we came over this is where we were heading, we ended up in Beaumaris, Lynbrook and Lyndhurst though.

As I have said before I will defend anyone who hates Oz and I understand they have their views but I just wish they would say for example I live in Geraldton and it's rubbish because.........

People migrate for allsorts of reasons our life in the UK was terrific but we wanted to be close to family as all of them are in Australia. We didn't feel any need to leave the UK but wanted to be near them.

People move for a different experience....not because their life in the UK sucks.....

Yeh, I know what your saying !!

Maybe move is the answer to another area ? It takes time to adjust, it must be very hard....keep positive x

but surely people who are reading info, any info about Oz have the intelligence to not to make the assumption that the whole of Australia is like that based on what one person says about their particular area.

From reading posts over 2 years on here I don't think you can assume anything. In fact someone posted recently "Australia is the same all over" or something to that effect. And in a country which, at any given minute, can have a 40 degree temperature variation, that is an absurd comment. Judging by things I've read here I think a lot of people are unaware how big it is, how much things can vary, even basic things like...yes, it does get cold, yes, it does rain...lots in some places.

Take the example of the OP of this thread, he's talking about Geraldton and not particularly about whole of Australia, but even in the beginning you more or less said that "well it's certainly not like that in my part of Australia, or my Australian life is not like that etc." of course it isn't, as you live in Tasmania, and I just feel like it is not particularly helpful to the OP or others, a little bit of understanding and tolerance toward others' experiences goes a long way, that's all

I am perfectly understanding and tolerant of his experiences - I don't think I could live in Geraldton in a pink fit.

I was just pointing out that Geraldton is very different from very many other places and that you can't generalise about Australia based on Geraldton - which is certainly the first impression on reading the original post. You and I know that but how many people reading this from the UK, who have never been to Australia, have any idea where Geraldton is or how representative it may or may not be of the rest of Australia.

I'm not picking on the OP. It's just been a recurring theme I've noticed...that people talk about "Australia is..." based on their location and I'm thinking "No - it's nothing like that in my part of Australia!" .......and I'm sure others in other areas have similar reactions.

I get the distinct impression from reading posts on here that some (many) people have trouble settling, not because Australia is wrong for them but because they have chosen an area which isn't suited to what they are seeking. If they were given more precise information in the beginning maybe that wouldn't have happened.

It's the same on a forum, if someone says Australia is crap, the people are unfriendly their is graffiti everywhere, then you tend to take that as true (yes I know it may sound silly believing the views of one person BUT we do it that's human nature).

So what is the solution then Kate? People who hate Oz not to say anything because it might be inconvenient to some?

Guest The Pom Queen
So what is the solution then Kate? People who hate Oz not to say anything because it might be inconvenient to some?

Not at all, people need to know the good and BAD, it's just a case of them not saying all Australia is crap because they lived in a bad suburb. I want people to be able to post here and not feel worried about saying how they feel and I do try to remind people that this section is mainly for those returning therefore the Oz lovers may get offended by some of the comments.

I'm sure Kate will reply but my response is....No!!!!! Your experience is your experience...so go ahead and tell it.

But don't say "this is my experience....and therefore it's like that all over Australia".

But don't say "this is my experience....and therefore it's like that all over Australia".

And also, we should all remember that emotions run extremely high when these kind of posts are written, after all someone might have just come to the horrific realisation that this place is not what they imagined or expected it to be after going through a huge emotional and financial upheaval.

Guest The Pom Queen
And also, we should all remember that emotions run extremely high when these kind of posts are written, after all someone might have just come to the horrific realisation that this place is not what they imagined or expected it to be after going through a huge emotional and financial upheaval.

That is very true and allowances need to be made, it's people in MBTUK who probably need more support than anyone.

Archived