Shortest Time in Oz?

alandeej

..full of people who cant drive properly..who tailgate you everytime you go out..

Just why do Aussies tailgate you?

Good point is this just due to the miles of empty roads, do they get lonely, I have noticed this on the open road and in towns someone always seems to be tailgateing.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, that's why the temperature can vary 40 deg. C between 2 places in Oz at any one moment - because it's all just the same.

Wasting your time with the whingers, they have their head in the sand

Yes, I know. I let most of them go through to the keeper.

Some of them are so ridiculous that someone has to say something.:rolleyes:

Some I thought were takking the piss but no they just don't get it

Guest emily1971uk

Im sad you are sad here.

I agree the sausages are bad so I buy British pork sausages that are good. I hate Barbecues so we have changed what we eat to suit the climate (ploughmans, salad with meats cooked in the oven like at home and spag bol and other normal stuff we ate in the UK).

I also agree that you should try looking to move area to a better place in Australia, maybe that area isnt for you.

The sun isn't as hot as it is too cold in the UK . Here there are some (not that many) too hot says where you cant go out unless you get up early or go out later at night, but in the UK we had long long long winters where we were stuck in doors from morning until night because it was dark, cold, miserable, windy, icey, rainy, stormy... need I go on.. and we would only step outside for work and shopping or if we really had to and we certainly couldn't spend time outside at any time of the day through them long winters.

At least the sun cools down in the evening and at night on those hot days (which if you look at the average Oz climate is not too bad) plus the 'winters' here are like 18-25 degrees. ..Besides, where the UK has heating on all day, we have only had to briefly put on the air con some of the time.

Maybe the cost of food and rent seems a lot if you are living on UK money. IE if you work in Oz you get Oz pay which works out relative to the money needed to eat and live and therefore food and rent is affordable and so is buying. Basically, the standard of living is better when you are working as the pay reflects the cost of living....

Whichever you choose, I hope it works out well for you and it dont matter if you are even the record breaker for the shortest time. Do what you feel is right. x

Guest emily1971uk

I mean to say also that the work is in Perth area and also you are also way way way up north, its not as developed up there yet. x

Foxtel has Sky news from UK on all night plus Pakistan v England 1st Test is on one of the sports channels. BBC World News is on another channel and there are a couple more dedicated to British shows. I read all the English papers on line each day and watch all the EPL games live too. I'm going to turn Sky news off in a minute and listen to The Archers on line. Do I need English pork sausages to make life in OZ complete? No, Australia supplies a few things that I rather like too.

Guest MongooseB

Sorry guys, but I have to say this...

I did warn you that your negativity and constant jibes at people who just wanted to help you, would ultimately lead to your own downfall and unhappiness in Australia. I, for one, really tried hard to assist with advice, but all you gave me was a kick up the butt. You SHOULD pack up and go home and be sure to dissuade any other Brits who haven't done their homework to please stay in the UK where they belong. We don't need wingers in Australia, and we certainly didn't force you to join us in the beautiful country. Perhaps you need to find your inner happiness before blaming everyone around you for things not working out the way you want them to. It's clear to me that even if you moved to planet mars, where there is no life, you would find fault with the aliens too!!

Guest MongooseB

Incidentally...I am ex-South African and new to Australia but can wholeheartedly say that this is HOME! Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oy Oy Oy!!!!

Guest Guest16631

When in Rome, live as the Romans do or pack you bags and go back to where you came from!
...............who are the Romans....?.......in such a multicultural society you can be yourself..........this attitude that you must embrace all that is Australian is what unsettles many here........I have waved goodbye to so many people who have felt they did not fit in............as long as you accept and don't ridicule the culture around you.............live how you would anywhere else............in the uk I was a picnic person..........still do it...............not keen on swimming..............or barbecue food...........but I accept that many do.............to thine own self be true...................instead of looking at the move as a huge culture shock...........concentrate on the basics.......the same things that you would do in any place......home, work ,and school.............the rest is built up over time...............finding things to do......people you like .........food you enjoy are all bonuses............where ever you live...............don't expect too much of your self..............we still sometimes have a roast beef Sunday lunch..........the kids used to play cricket in the back garden ......while we had a wine or beer and relaxed............same habits different country..................

When in Rome, live as the Romans do or pack you bags and go back to where you came from!

Not exactly what the Brits did back in the late 1700's though, is it???

What I think people really aren't getting here is Australia is not just a country, it is a continent and it is huge.

Comparing Geraldton to Perth is like comparing London to The Lake District (distance wise and probably culture wise too), they just aren't the sameaustraliamap.jpg

You can't just nip to Sydney or Melbourne from Perth, it's nearly 4,000km and that's like driving from Cornwall to Turkey.

australiamap.jpg

Yes, it is a continent. But it is also one country, not many different countries, with different food, language, customs and cultures like Europe. And apart from the obvious differences between a city and a regional small town, the Australian culture is pretty much the same Australia wide.

Nice illustration in your post but I don't think it proves any point about culture. I'm sorry to break it to you but in this case, size doesn't matter!!! :biglaugh:

Guest Guest16631

.......of course size does matter............it's the fact that australia is so large and sparsely populated compared to Europe...........that contributes to it's ...'lack'...............concentration of diversity of culture..........though in most large cities there is usually a china town....a Greek community...........a Lebonese community...........an Indian..........a British.......although Scotland Ime is often a seperate entity and has various fetes and merchandise for sale.........As does Ireland.......these are but a few I have experienced...........and although it's not the country of many of these people............they have done their best to bring and practice the culture of their home..............through food music language clothes and many cultural practices...........the little country towns have a charm and a culture all of their own.............the indigenous community has much to offer in diversity and culture...............some cities are known for their architecture...............some for the arts..............culture may not be so concentrated in one place...............but there is plenty out there........open your eyes and look for it........

Tink, I think you misinterpreted my post. I never said there was no culture in Australia! I was responding to the previous post from sean and maureen and the implication that there was a diverse culture throughout the large country of Australia. Apart from the obvious diference between the Aboriginals and the rest. The Australian culture (not Greek, Lebanese, English or whatever) is generally the same country wide.

Guest Guest16631

........even taking out people from a different country ..........I have found that the culture varies widely from city to country town.........the northern territory people have a different outlook to those of gippsland...........tasmanians are as different to those from the Alice .......as the welsh are to the Geordies...........I agree there is not the diversity of the continent..........but new Zealand and Bali have a very different culture to Australia............again not concentrated as Europe.........but the culture is still there.......IMO of course.............

Yes, it is a continent. But it is also one country, not many different countries, with different food, language, customs and cultures like Europe. And apart from the obvious differences between a city and a regional small town, the Australian culture is pretty much the same Australia wide.

Nice illustration in your post but I don't think it proves any point about culture. I'm sorry to break it to you but in this case, size doesn't matter!!! :biglaugh:

Just curious, how parts of Australia have you actually visited, lived in etc.

Guest MongooseB
You know what though, I am so glad that Australia is so different to UK, or else what was the point in immigrating in the first place.

Well said, couldn't agree more.

Just curious, how parts of Australia have you actually visited, lived in etc.

What difference does it make if I've been to one place or hundreds?

You know what though, I am so glad that Australia is so different to UK, or else what was the point in immigrating in the first place.

North Korea is pretty different too. Did you consider emmigrating to there?! :biggrin:

Guest MongooseB

At the end of the day each to their own I suppose, but what troubles me is when folk try something out ie new country, hate it for their own personal reasons, and then take pleasure in slating it off to the world. It's ok for people to try explore new options, but if it doesn't work out, why take pleasure in ruining it for others? The UK wasn't our cup of tea, but we wouldn't go out of our way to start up a thread just to talk bad about it. Frankly, if anyone feels it necessary to do this about any country in which they have been a guest, I personally think their troubles go deeper than the country they're leaving. Let's be honest, not every country is accepting of foreigners, and they're even less accepting of winging foreigners! It's all about accepting that you no longer live in the place you called home, and if you don't like the local customs, don't participate, but equally, you have no right to run them down. It's downright rude, and given the fact there are people who would kill to leave countries they are too scared to live in, just for the opportunity of living in Australia, it's a shame that people who have had the opportunity, have the ordasity to look a gift horse in the mouth. Not a day goes by that I don't count my blessings for the opportunity to live here and I look forward to the day we take on citizenship!!

At the end of the day each to their own I suppose, but what troubles me is when folk try something out ie new country, hate it for their own personal reasons, and then take pleasure in slating it off to the world. It's ok for people to try explore new options, but if it doesn't work out, why take pleasure in ruining it for others? The UK wasn't our cup of tea, but we wouldn't go out of our way to start up a thread just to talk bad about it. Frankly, if anyone feels it necessary to do this about any country in which they have been a guest, I personally think their troubles go deeper than the country they're leaving. Let's be honest, not every country is accepting of foreigners, and they're even less accepting of winging foreigners! It's all about accepting that you no longer live in the place you called home, and if you don't like the local customs, don't participate, but equally, you have no right to run them down. It's downright rude, and given the fact there are people who would kill to leave countries they are too scared to live in, just for the opportunity of living in Australia, it's a shame that people who have had the opportunity, have the ordasity to look a gift horse in the mouth. Not a day goes by that I don't count my blessings for the opportunity to live here and I look forward to the day we take on citizenship!!

I think it is a very small minority, especially on this thread, who "slated" Australia.

And even if they did, I can't see how it would "ruin it for others". Unless the others have such a very fragile love of the place that a few posts on an internet forum could shatter their happiness. :wacko:

If you don't want to read the opinions of people who don't find Australia to be all that then maybe for your own sake you should not read such threads.

Archived