Shortest Time in Oz?

alandeej

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest57588
I think people are losing sight of the purpose of the forum. Everybodies aspirations are different as well as their genetic makeup.We must acknowledge everyone sees things in a different way because of what may be going on in their lives at the time.We all need to think twice before making sweeping judgementson others who see things differently.

I think if we feel that a post is getting to us on a personal level its best to take leave and read the hundreds of others that are more conduicive to how we may think. Indeed i have been guilty of this and now just back off and take leave.Its an emotional time going to Oz and its en emotional time leaving. Lets support those who have made their decision either way.

Did you type that last bit with a straight face jgt?. Gotta love a bit of irony!

Guest guest57588
New Zealand? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God%27s_Own_Country

Either that or you're one of those Aussies who likes to claim some Kiwi things (pavlova, Crowded House) while distancing yourself from others (Russell Crowe)

Reckon I can guess :biggrin:

Not when he's winning awards and being feted by the world's press they don't. Then he magically becomes a true-blue, loveable, battling Aussie larrikin*.

*Until he chucks a phone at a bell-boy, or threatens someone at an awards show and then he goes back to being an over-weight, charmless, Kiwi nurk!

Guest The Ropey HOFF
course i typed it with a straight face, this is a new beginning, im born again!

AAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWW NOOOOOOOOOOO

You haven't been Labotomised like McMurphy in One flew over the cuckoos nest.:mad:

He got knobled because he was way over the top, its what i loved about him and ........... You.:wink:

Guest Ptp113
Being balanced was never my thing, now im all gushy and jesus loves me,and he can love you .......too

I liked you until you mentioned you-know-who

• 2 weeks later...
Having been a ten quidder, I can say with more knowledge than you, the vast majority of 'em did not have a job to go to and just 'got on with it'. Sure, lots had a moan, but didn't bleat to all and sundry, they just 'backbone' that seems to be lacking these days...

What the 'eckinbottom...A job and accom waiting in a new land? I'm damned sure squillions more would have left Europe if that was offered.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Yeah but did you have any prospects in the UK yourself. Probably not thats why you left and were just glad of any job/accommodation when you arrived. What about people who arrived who had worse accommodation and a downgrade in occupation prospects/skills? Arent they allowed to complain or return home to the better life they already had?? Or are they just whingers?? Tell you what why dont you take a wage cut and move to another part of Australia and live in a hell hole before you judge others.

Yeah but did you have any prospects in the UK yourself. Probably not thats why you left and were just glad of any job/accommodation when you arrived. What about people who arrived who had worse accommodation and a downgrade in occupation prospects/skills? Arent they allowed to complain or return home to the better life they already had?? Or are they just whingers?? Tell you what why dont you take a wage cut and move to another part of Australia and live in a hell hole before you judge others.

It wasn't a 'done thing' in those days, it was looked on as failing in one's bid for a better way of life. Personally, I had a well paid job, woolclasser and lots of overtime, but the writing was on the wall, the japs were buying more raw wool, the British Govt of the day was allowing squillions of people in without so much as any quarantine and the inevitable happened; smallpox hit the UK.

What a laugh, you know nothing, absolutely nothing of my life, nor any of my working life and then you have the audacity to accuse...Methinks that you should grow up, sonny , before you make more stupid statements.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

It wasn't a 'done thing' in those days, it was looked on as failing in one's bid for a better way of life. Personally, I had a well paid job, woolclasser and lots of overtime, but the writing was on the wall, the japs were buying more raw wool, the British Govt of the day was allowing squillions of people in without so much as any quarantine and the inevitable happened; smallpox hit the UK.

What a laugh, you know nothing, absolutely nothing of my life, nor any of my working life and then you have the audacity to accuse...Methinks that you should grow up, sonny , before you make more stupid statements.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Your right mate i know nothing about your life, in fact couldnt care less about it. But as i said im not judging anyone YOU ARE.

But as i guessed and you confirmed.....

Like you said "THE WRITING WAS ON THE WALL" for your occupation so YOU had to get out. You had no choice.

However just because you had no prospects doesnt mean those that stayed had none does it?

Tell me before branding these people as failures and no backbone like the good old days do you know anything about them or their circumstances?

Me thinks you should stop preaching stupid statements sonny grow up and concentrate on your fishing.

Your right mate i know nothing about your life, in fact couldnt care less about it. But as i said im not judging anyone YOU ARE.

Like you said "THE WRITING WAS ON THE WALL" for your occupation so YOU had to get out. You had no choice.

However just because you had no prospects doesnt mean those that stayed had none does it?

Tell me before branding these people as failures and no backbone like the good old days do you know anything about them or their circumstances?

Me thinks you should stop preaching stupid statements sonny grow up and concentrate on your fishing.

I got there first, sonny:laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

I got there first, sonny:laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

You did, but in a very angry manner. My duplication was in a totally different context, actually pointing out your hypocracy.

I think two expressions sum it up. Egg on your face and ruffled feathers and not a leg to stand on, hence no real response.

You did, but in a very angry manner. My duplication was in a totally different context, actually pointing out your hypocracy.

I think two expressions sum it up. Egg on your face and ruffled feathers and not a leg to stand on, hence no real response.

Your quote, "Your right mate i know nothing about your life, in fact couldnt care less about it. But as i said im not judging anyone YOU ARE.

I knew many, many people in those circumstances...In those days, it was considered as failing to return to one's homeland. Were you around in those days to witness any of that? I doubt it very much.

No hypocracy from me, times and circumstances change, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. In those days, people seemed to be more stoic and got on with life.

Cheers, Bobj.

In those days, people seemed to be more stoic and got on with life.

Im still no quite sure what your waffling about???

Are you saying that those that returned home were considered failures??

What about the chicken #### who fled England the first sign of trouble and went to Oz?

Are they failures too? Why didnt they stay in the UK and knuckle down and make a better life for themselves? Did they have no backbone?

Is that not the same thing??? So anyone who decides to move on, no matter which direction is considered

a failure?

I think not.

Oh i wish i was around in the good old days, you old timers worked so much harder than the youth of today.

You keep digging my friend.

Cheers Bobj:SLEEP:

In those days, people seemed to be more stoic and got on with life.

Im still no quite sure what your waffling about???

Are you saying that those that returned home were considered failures??

What about the chicken #### who fled England the first sign of trouble and went to Oz?

Are they failures too? Why didnt they stay in the UK and knuckle down and make a better life for themselves? Did they have no backbone?

Is that not the same thing??? So anyone who decides to move on, no matter which direction is considered

a failure?

I think not.

Oh i wish i was around in the good old days, you old timers worked so much harder than the youth of today.

You keep digging my friend.

Cheers Bobj:SLEEP:

I think its a little naive to suggest that those old ten pound poms were a bit more "stoic" and "got on with life" The one big difference from then and now is they didnt have internet chatrooms like this to vent their frustrations, likewise others who found it a breeze migrating didnt have the opportunity to read all these moans and groans and come to conclusions that some people are just not trying hard enough. People back then were no different to people today, they would have had the same fears,concerns and worries, its just aired in public more today via the media and the internet and gives that false belief that its worse today than it was in the "good ole days"

Liken it to "stranger danger" and the fears young parents have of letting their kids out in case some scumbag decides to enter their life ruining it forever by taking their child and doing nasty things. That is no more likley to happen today as it was 30 - 40 years ago, its just media attention and the internet making us think it is.

We had friends who went back after 4 weeks , Now they are returning , Life in Oz is DIFFERENT for sure , its what you want to make of it , we hated Melbourne and so decided to move to QLD, it was the best move we did , My self id try another place or even a State before you write Australia off all together , were so glad we did.<br>Ask the Brits where the sausage is , we have found an awesome butchers in Runaway bay  on the Gold Coast which make ORIGINAL recipe Pork English sausage,   Simply the best they are and all the brits buy them .

In January on Oz news there was a story of a plumber and his family who just arrived from the UK and didn't bother to unpack their container, just sent it straight back to Blighty. Reason given was he was unhappy he'd have to do additional courses to qualify as a plumber in Oz.

A lot of the ten pound poms had to live in the migrant hostels at Springvale here in Melbourne and that would be horrible by today's standards.

I agree with Bob that people were more stoic. We were the children born after the war and I remember the rashion books, mainly because Mum used to eat the chocolate. We probably just got on with things and hoped that things would get better. Nothing could have got worse them days.

My aunt was maimed and crippled by a landmine which hit her house and she spent the rest of her life inside as she had been a lovely looking lady and with the scarring she did not want to go out.

So stoic is a word that should be used for the migrants.

I came to Aus in 68 by choice and paid to come and my parents also came but they went to Perth and they also paid.

A lot of migrants saved and returned to the Uk just as they do today but a lot stayed and made a good life for themselves.

Around this area most young adults will have parents born in the UK or grandparents. So those Aussies that are so unwelcoming are actually Brits.

Guest scottiedog
A lot of the ten pound poms had to live in the migrant hostels at Springvale here in Melbourne and that would be horrible by today's standards.

I agree with Bob that people were more stoic. We were the children born after the war and I remember the rashion books, mainly because Mum used to eat the chocolate. We probably just got on with things and hoped that things would get better. Nothing could have got worse them days.

My aunt was maimed and crippled by a landmine which hit her house and she spent the rest of her life inside as she had been a lovely looking lady and with the scarring she did not want to go out.

So stoic is a word that should be used for the migrants.

I came to Aus in 68 by choice and paid to come and my parents also came but they went to Perth and they also paid.

A lot of migrants saved and returned to the Uk just as they do today but a lot stayed and made a good life for themselves.

Around this area most young adults will have parents born in the UK or grandparents. So those Aussies that are so unwelcoming are actually Brits.

Please do not take this as me being trying to take the p***!

But it struck a chord with me the part of your quote saying aussies are actually brits!

When i was last out there working in a building squad i got the usual pome jokes blah blah blah all taken as they were meant by the aussies in fun!

My answer was and every time i give it to many a squad i worked with who were all good lads.

Soo tell me was your great great grandfather a muderer or a rapist or was he one of the sick prison offficers who treated the prisoners like there slaves making there homes in this amazing land.

Soo i know the stock i come from do you!

Usually dont know why i didnt have the lynx effect

Please do not take this as me being trying to take the p***!

But it struck a chord with me the part of your quote saying aussies are actually brits!

When i was last out there working in a building squad i got the usual pome jokes blah blah blah all taken as they were meant by the aussies in fun!

My answer was and every time i give it to many a squad i worked with who were all good lads.

Soo tell me was your great great grandfather a muderer or a rapist or was he one of the sick prison offficers who treated the prisoners like there slaves making there homes in this amazing land.

Soo i know the stock i come from do you!

Usually dont know why i didnt have the lynx effect

I know exactly where my Grandfathers on both sides were born, Boston UK and Grimsby. I was also born in UK.

The majority of the growth around the area I live has taken place in the last thirty years and its mainly been due to migration and mainly from the UK. In fact the Peninsula was first inhabited by Scots people who farmed here and some of the old families are still around. Aus is a nation of migrants the majority of which have come in the last twenty or so years. In the eighties we were 2 million in Melbourne now we are four.

Also there are no criminals in our family as we have done our family trees, how about yours?

Just to add if my family had come over as prisoners and become Squatocracy we would be in clover now

Archived