3 weeks til we fly out and the wobbles are setting in.

ghost

For so long we have been looking forward an "fantasising" about our new life in Perth, and now were all booked up to go, the worry is starting to set in, were asking ourselves have we done the right thing ????.

did anyone else go through this ? Any advice ?

Hi

Could have written that message ourselves.

We are also due to fly out, three weeks on Monday to Perth and are thinking omg what have we gone and done. :eek:

But I am sure that it will be alright once we get there.

I am more panicing about the shippers coming in 10 days.

Good luck with your move :biggrin:

Jayne

You're not alone in this.

We leave this house on the 27th, fly to Aus on the 30th & I'm cra***g myself. Keep telling myself I want to stay, that I'll miss people, that the reasons for staying are bigger than the reasons for going.

BUT I know I've got to go, give it a shot, if i hate it we'll come back after a few years. I think knowing that I'd regret it like mad within a week if we didnt give it a go at least is what is pushing me on.

Guest James W

Well we are on D-day minus 21 weeks as of this morning & we are already nervous but also wish it was tomorrow.

We're also off to Perth so maybe once we're all there we can meet for a beer n swap stories on how we're finding things.

Best of luck to all you jammy sods getting away in the next few weeks - enjoy

J & B

Well we are on D-day minus 21 weeks as of this morning & we are already nervous but also wish it was tomorrow.

We're also off to Perth so maybe once we're all there we can meet for a beer n swap stories on how we're finding things.

Best of luck to all you jammy sods getting away in the next few weeks - enjoy

J & B

21 weeks will fly by James. I'm sure I'll be updating our progress as we go. But a beer sounds good .

You're not alone in this.

We leave this house on the 27th, fly to Aus on the 30th & I'm cra***g myself. Keep telling myself I want to stay, that I'll miss people, that the reasons for staying are bigger than the reasons for going.

BUT I know I've got to go, give it a shot, if i hate it we'll come back after a few years. I think knowing that I'd regret it like mad within a week if we didnt give it a go at least is what is pushing me on.

Are you moving to NSW? Where to if you are? I noticed signs on spring today when I drove down to Bronte Beach - flowers on the verge of Allison Road, Flame trees coming out by Queens Park, and the smell of Jasmine over a fence at Bronte. I LOVE jasmine.

I think they are flame trees - maybe not but red anyway and they looked nice.

Not very nice today, dangerous surf at Bronte but still quite a few swimming in the rock pool, including me who was the only one frightened of waves crashing into the pool.

Are you moving to NSW? Where to if you are? I noticed signs on spring today when I drove down to Bronte Beach - flowers on the verge of Allison Road, Flame trees coming out by Queens Park, and the smell of Jasmine over a fence at Bronte. I LOVE jasmine.

I think they are flame trees - maybe not but red anyway and they looked nice.

Not very nice today, dangerous surf at Bronte but still quite a few swimming in the rock pool, including me who was the only one frightened of waves crashing into the pool.

We are. We'll be in Newcastle initially with the MIL :eek: until we find somewhere of our own.

I'm so happy we are going to completely miss out a winter going from summer, into spring :biggrin:

I'm usually a wuss when it comes to the sea, wont go in in case it's too cold or the waves pull me off lol. So cool the baby could one day be surfing there. Much better than jumping into the pouted river Mersey like I did as a kid lol.

Just keep at it & deal with each day as it comes, dont under estimate the emotion of it all. We fly (hubby & 2 kiddies to melbourne next Sat 27th & have been where you are!!! There are times even now when I want to stop everything & stay - but my gut feeling is always to carry on. Also, if people want to do things/see you then please make sure you do. I was all for slipping away quietly but hubby explained that it was the least we could do for other people & I am SO glad we have had meals/get togethers & pop ins for a cuppa here there and every where x

Guest mackemsok

Anyone who leaves the UK without these feeling are not being honest - we all felt like you so don't worry its normal. I left March 2009 and cried my eyes out on the plane, I had never been to Perth before and here I was leaving all my friends and family behind off to the unknown........how scary! But I fell in love with Perth instantly and cannot see me living anywhere else, in fact we have just moved into our first new built home. Do i miss my friends and family - absolutely without doubt - I still get waves of homesickness, but I have made a big effort to find new friends and we have a great social network here. We did this for our kids who have more opportunities (in my opinion) than what they did in the UK. It worked for us because I was determined to make a good go of it. Cry like a baby on the plane - let it all out cause when you land your new journey begins.

Good luck

Sharon

Thanks guys. I'm so glad to hear i'm not the only one. We fly out in 20 weeks and I feel totally torn in two. Part of me really wants to go to Oz as I loved it the last time I was there on a WHV but the other part of me wants to stay in the UK as it's all too stressful and i don't want to say goodbye to friends and family. I hope we are doing the right thing! Arrrgghh :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Remember you've built it up to such a level that you may be dissapointed with a few things. The best way to think about it is as a long long holiday don't think too far ahead and then you won't feel too homesick. After a while with effort you will settle in. Good Luck

We also fly to Perth in a few weeks, we leave Heathrow on 14th September, I go between being really excited and cant wait to feelings of absolute panic at what we are about to do, have had moments when I have wondered if we are doing the right thing but would rather give this a go than wonder all my life "what if", good luck everyone!

Celia

Anyone who leaves the UK without these feeling are not being honest - we all felt like you so don't worry its normal. I left March 2009 and cried my eyes out on the plane, I had never been to Perth before and here I was leaving all my friends and family behind off to the unknown........how scary! But I fell in love with Perth instantly and cannot see me living anywhere else, in fact we have just moved into our first new built home. Do i miss my friends and family - absolutely without doubt - I still get waves of homesickness, but I have made a big effort to find new friends and we have a great social network here. We did this for our kids who have more opportunities (in my opinion) than what they did in the UK. It worked for us because I was determined to make a good go of it. Cry like a baby on the plane - let it all out cause when you land your new journey begins.

Good luck

Sharon

Hey sharon, your post has given me reassurance! Thanks for your honesty! myself, my partner and littlebaby boy are just starting the whole process and hoping to be Perth bound march 2012! I'm finding it all daunting, dreading leaving family etc but i've my own family now and as you said i will make a big effort for my little man and hopefully any other SPROGS that come along!! And believe me i will cry like a baby on the plane as i do that on a regular basis already at the thoughts of it all, but am also soo excited!! Thanks Sharon you've given me a boost re the whole move. Best of luck to you and your family.:hug:

Karen

Hi, my family and I are departing for Perth 27th Sep.

I feel a lot better after reading this thread. I was scared of admitting how I was feeling incase someone thought I was being weak or reading into it the wrong way. I desperately want to go to Oz but i can't help feeling sad about the fact that I will be leaving a lot of loved ones behind. My granny and granda are getting old and not in the best health so there is a very real chance that I wont ever see them again.

I wonder sometimes if we are doing the right thing but know if I dont at least give it my best shot then I will regret it for the rest of my life and also I have my own family now and have to think of what is best for them.

Hi all, we too are heading out mid september off to rockingham, and i am so so excited, scared, happy, anxious, sad,etc etc, i just knowi have to give it my best shot, i have lived with regrets and at 36 dont intend regretting not going, we are giving it our best, and that is all anyone can do life isnt handed on a plate you have to do it for yourself you get out what you put in, I hope all goes well for all the new movers and look forward to making some new friends when we get there to start a new life great adventure.

regards tracy

Guest mackemsok

Good luck to all the newby's on route to Oz - a few tips for you:

1/ download skype when you get here its free and a fantastic way to keep in touch with loved ones back in the UK. I love skyping on a Sunday and seeing my family - it's almost like I am around the corner.

2/ Once you are in and settled, buy a phone card from the newsagents, you can ring the UK for 3c per minute, I usually buy a $20 card and it last months, I only phone the 'oldies' who don't have access to computers. That will help with the home sickness especially in the early days.

3/ Face Book has kept me in touch with those friends who I didn't really see much of in the UK, I post pics on there all the time so my friends and family get to see my life week by week virtually. Even my mam has a facebook account just so she can see us anytime she wishes.

4/ Prepare for homesickness - it is going to happen but just know we all have it and I usually take myself off to a quiet room for half hour, have a few tears, re-apply my mascara and get on with it, i don't 'pretend' I am ok and then it passes.

Hope this helps a bit - and if all else fails get to the foreshore and order a coffee and cake in one of the many coffee shops and just take in all the sights, you will go back to your house and feel better knowing you live in a beautiful Country

Sharon :hug:

Hi all, we too are heading out mid september off to rockingham, and i am so so excited, scared, happy, anxious, sad,etc etc, i just knowi have to give it my best shot, i have lived with regrets and at 36 dont intend regretting not going, we are giving it our best, and that is all anyone can do life isnt handed on a plate you have to do it for yourself you get out what you put in, I hope all goes well for all the new movers and look forward to making some new friends when we get there to start a new life great adventure.

regards tracy

Hi Tracy,

We are staying in Port Kennedy when we arrive in September, I feel exactly like you do, excited but scared at the same time, good luck with the move and if you fancy meeting up when you get there just let me know,

Celia

Hi scarby,

I will definately meet up,:chatterbox: just got everything crossed all goes smoothly, just want to get there now this site has been a mine of information, :hug: everyone.

cheers tracy

Thanks for all the responses , I got over these doubts quite zoo after i posted this. I'm just looking forward now, determined that we will have our dream. In england I could tell you exactly where I would be in ten years. Now my future is unknown, a blank page that I'm going to fill in myself, and I'm not really sure where the story will end, bit I know it will be an adventure. Good luck to all my fellow travellers.

J