What will I do without Tesco?

Debbie Emblem

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Our family are moving to Melbourne, hopefully end of December, and I'm just wondering how I am going to manage without frequenting my local Tesco Superstore. I know that I'm a little sad, but hey, it's really good value. Will I find anything similar in Melbourne?

What ****e dont bother coming , it will probably cost you thousands in return cost s WTF

What ****e dont bother coming , it will probably cost you thousands in return cost s WTF

:biglaugh:Are you on the whiskey mal?!!

Debbie, theres Coles and woolworths etc,most people living there say shop in greengrocers for veg,and markets etc ,i dont think we will tho,i thought the food shopping was ok,and meats dirt cheap,you'l cope im sure.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We shop at Morrisons and when we were in Australia we shopped at Coles and Woolworths - yes Woolworths i know they went into liquidation here in the uk, but they are thriving in Australia. We found food costs and variety almost identical to the uk, but Some of the new Tescos shops are mega stores, selling electrical goods, clothes etc and they arn't like this, but shops for other things are readily available, you won't be too disappointed, but some do pine for things like this, i think if you don't settle you pine more for silly things like this, when you seriously think about it.

All the best.

We shop at Morrisons and when we were in Australia we shopped at Coles and Woolworths - yes Woolworths i know they went into liquidation here in the uk, but they are thriving in Australia. We found food costs and variety almost identical to the uk, but Some of the new Tescos shops are mega stores, selling electrical goods, clothes etc and they arn't like this, but shops for other things are readily available, you won't be too disappointed, but some do pine for things like this, i think if you don't settle you pine more for silly things like this, when you seriously think about it.

All the best.

we missed Asda ....but u get on with it and adapt .........i had a mate that has gear sent from UK tesco ......perthetic ......we went for a meal and it was all from Tesco....... what a joke that was , needless to say they have returned to the country of doom n gloom .......and tesco`s

Don't worry,Australia is cheaper,, all you have to do is buy your bread from lidles, your butter from Aldi's, your meat from the meat shack up the road from kev, your fruit from susie siam's local green grocer and your wine from BWS, your beer from liquer store, shampoo from.................

:biglaugh:

Hey Aldo

where do you buy your Hard' cheese from. lol

Spookily enough my neighbour brought me back some parmasan from italy the other day:cute:

lovely it was.

Its all gone now but i can send you some manchego if you like... you will love it, goes nice with a good whine:wink:

Following the sad demise of agony aunt Clare rayner , I hear there's a vacancy for a caring sharing kind of guy with a knack for understanding and solving other peoples problems ! I reckon you've found your calling mal !!

Oh my I'm almost crying with laughter at these posts!!

Why? None of them are funny to me.

Someone new on here makes their view known about the shops and everyone jumps down their throat, or abuses them or starts to have their own little *** for tat argument with each other on a thread that's about household stuff not chewing the fat.

All the contributers so far are long time posters on this site, have formed very strong opinions and seem to have forgotten that they where new to this site once.

Maybe some have reached their sell by date.

I'm kind of laughing too!

I am hoping that the OP was meant in a light hearted way. If not, then I think they should think very seriously about leaving the UK.

You know I am a kind, caring soul, but honestly - Australia is a DIFFERENT COUNTRY and if you can't open your head to that and embrace the difference then you really should stick to holidays IMO.

I am still entertaining Aussie friends with the story of the PIO member who planned to have her fave brand of washing powder shipped over regularly. Unbelievable.

Costco is in Docklands as well, go with a friend and split the bulk stuff. Coles is being changed in flavour/variety with the UK consultants making some changes. There are more varieties being brought in, so in Melbourne it's already changing. Aldi is also giving them a run for their money. Also there are is the Queen

Victoria Market. I have also noticed that there are fresh farmer's markets cropping up all over the place at weekends in recent years. That young guy who makes the british sausages was at my local one recently, he's going great guns. Dan Murphy's for alcohol is much cheaper than Coles/Woolworths.

Our family are moving to Melbourne, hopefully end of December, and I'm just wondering how I am going to manage without frequenting my local Tesco Superstore. I know that I'm a little sad, but hey, it's really good value. Will I find anything similar in Melbourne?

Hi

No you will deff not find supermarkets in aus like the english ones, lot smaller, less choice, after you have been here awhile you will learn to accept the difference.

Hi Debbie

It sounds like you haven't visited Australia before you'll be coming out to move here, not sure if that's right?

You will soon find alternatives to your favourite shops and build a new way of doing things as time goes by. The supermarkets here (I've found) have every bit as much choice as the UK. Frozen stuff costs probably a little bit more but we don't eat much frozen stuff anyway so that doesn't bother me. As you go along, you'll find things you like just as much - or even prefer! - to their UK counterparts. Just keep an open mind and try not to compare things too much.

I don't miss anything at all about shopping here compared to the UK - I hated grocery shopping there, and I still hate having to do it here:biglaugh::biglaugh:

This is true actually, you do grow to accept the difference. Tesco hypermarkets are wonderful for what they are but aren't really that much different from a Woolworths and Big W combined - other than cheap booze of course.

What I really miss, after a recent trip back to the UK after being away for a good while, is PRIMARK - couldn't believe how cheap some of their stuff was, it made Target look positively expensive for their very similar items.

The other store is ICELAND, MG you could stuff your face on fatty carbs at a £ a throw.

The impression I got is that fatty, carby food and confectionery is dirt cheap. Great for pigging out on but terrible for the waistline! :hug:

If you're leaving soon get into Primark and stock up on socks, underwear, T shirts, jeans, shoes, make up, accessories etc. you'll save a packet on Aus prices.

All the best.

A fascinating factiod :GEEK: Woolworths Australia has no historical connection to Woolworths UK/USA etc..totally different company with the same name.

:biglaugh:...have to agree with mal on this one im afraid .....tescos should be the least of ur worries !!!!!

mrs keily

Amen to that!!

All the best.

Completely different company Jim.from the UK Woolworth, which was FW Woolworth.

When Woolworth started here on deciding a name they found that the USA & UK Woolworth was not registered in Australia, so the snapped up the name, also a guy called Bill Pratt was involved who started off Safeway, and the rest is history. I know because I used to do work for Bill Pratt at his house in Eildon

Hi Debbie,

How much you miss your local supermarket as it is where you live now will depend on what you're used to making and eating, I'd say. Where you end up is the other factor of course. I make a lot more of my own foods from scratch since moving here and find that it costs me less to do that than it did where I lived in the UK. Don't automatically pick the brands you are familiar with when you get here. If you enjoyed consumer magazines like Which? you are likely to find Choice invaluable. If you're mad about cooking, Through the Oven Door is a good forum to check out because it has a good number of members from Australia and the UK plus people from other countries so it is a good way of finding out more about what is available, what's good and where to get it. I hear there are quite a few good foodie places in Melbourne.

I assure you that once you settle in, you are unlikely to miss Tescos! I thought I'd miss Waitrose, which was my local supermarket but I've found nicer foods here now and I don't miss them at all.

All the best for your last couple of months in Blighty, for your flight over and for your new life in Australia. :smile:

Archived