What will I do without Tesco?

Debbie Emblem

I was off Dunbabin,terence rd,by childwall college mate,right im off for the footy echo,read whats happening:rolleyes:,catch yer later rock:wink:
Different meaning these days Pabs,so don't take offence,but when i were a lad,if yer came from up there by the 5 ways,yer wuz called a' Big Nob':biglaugh::wink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nimble68

I woudn't worry too much - anyone noticed how Coles is turning into Tesco's!! Even have the same or similar Finest logo! Rumour has it, there are a few ex-tesco management in place - well def here in Melbourne...... Even the online shopping website is similiar and then the school vouchers.... wonder what will be next.......

I woudn't worry too much - anyone noticed how Coles is turning into Tesco's!! Even have the same or similar Finest logo! Rumour has it, there are a few ex-tesco management in place - well def here in Melbourne...... Even the online shopping website is similiar and then the school vouchers.... wonder what will be next.......

You have online shopping?:realmad::realmad:

We generally only order veges of the sort that even the non-cook would be able to pick out correctly via the online system and get the rest of the fresh food ourselves. It can go wrong sometimes but they're always quick to correct things. It's particularly good for things like canned foodstuffs, laundry supplies etc.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I have to say though................. i will miss shopping at Morrisons.

we bought 2 x 12 cans of Strongbow cider for £9 each and got a third pack free, that works out at 50p a can.

Plus they have countless 2 for the price of 1 deals.

But will i fret over this if we emigrate..................... not for a second, Australian shopping is almost the same, nothing to get your knickers in a twist over. lol

we thought we'd miss tesco's and sainsburys but after a month or so of shopping at Woolworths we've found great quality substitutes for all of our uk favourites (except for filter coffee - I've resorted to buying it from starbucks here as it isn't much more expensive than the supermarket and its definitely better quality).

Swings and roundabouts re prices - our average weekly grocery shop in the UK, excluding alcohol, was around 80 - 100 quid and here its around $140 - 160.

The difference is that whereas in the UK we bought lots of ready meals, here we buy fresh fish and fresh steak. Also, the quality of fruit and veg here really can't compare - you can smell the fruit when you go into the store here, and the apples, oranges, mangos all have loads of juice. It stands to reason as - per what woolies say - 97% of their produce is grown in australia. So its not had to be frozen, defrosted, etc etc and flown around the world.

you'll be fine. I would say though, that if you love reading books, stock up with Amazon etc before you come over as book prices are ridiculously high here. I am talking double, even more, than what you'd pay in the UK.

Amazon do deliver here, but it isn't cheap.

cheers sg

we missed Asda ....but u get on with it and adapt .........i had a mate that has gear sent from UK tesco ......perthetic ......we went for a meal and it was all from Tesco....... what a joke that was , needless to say they have returned to the country of doom n gloom .......and tesco`s

What about chips Tony? were do you get your chips from?

Does anybody go to the markets in Melbourne? I do use Tescos/Asda/Sainsburys over here for some of my shopping but I tend to go to Bolton market first thing on a Saturday morning to get all my meat and fish - 15 chicken breasts for £10 and two boneless salmon fillets weighing 1kg each for £8 can't be beat! Must say I keep daydreaming about spending the morning at somewhere like Queen Victoria market getting lots of fresh food, making up a picnic and spending the day in a park with my OH, followed by him slaving over a hot barbie in the evening, lol. Is this a realistic daydream - and can anyone advise of the good value or otherwise of Melbourne's markets?

Cheers :smile:

The Book Depository delivers free to Australia -

Free delivery worldwide on all books from

yeah, but it seems they build in their postage costs to the prices of their books, so they aren't any cheaper.

Example: The Snowman. 3 quid on Amazon, $11 on The Book Depository. Cost for Amazon to post it to me, 2 quid, still making it cheaper to buy from them, I think.

Archived