Does blue sky make you happier?

emmaroo

I woke up this morning and it was another grey yucky day and it made me feel quite down! So, I got to thinking, does living in a country where you wake up and on the majority of days and the sky is blue when you wake up really make a difference to how you feel?

:em3600::cool:

Ermmm yes and no. If I'm in a neutral mood and I go out and the is shining then it'll brighten up my day (literally lol), but if I'm in a bad mood or have things playing on my mind then the rain pisses me off even more lol but the sun doesn't necessarily put me in a better mood either. Depends on what mood I'm in when I leave the house! Or what I've got planned that day.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I woke up this morning and it was another grey yucky day and it made me feel quite down! So, I got to thinking, does living in a country where you wake up and on the majority of days and the sky is blue when you wake up really make a difference to how you feel?

YES YES YES.

Not there yet, but..................

Big yes ! It's a beautiful sunny day in the shire of mawsley today , woke with a raging headache and hangover after lastnights rugby awards , looked pretty good as the village people construction worker , but never got up for work this morn . Rolled out of bed opened the curtains and thought stain the decking ! If it had been grim I'd still be in bed now !!

Guest sh7t man no way

yes blue sky makes me happy--the more light the better--did you know that we are similar to the plant species in that the more sunshine we get the stronger,and healthier we become--strange fact that init:wubclub:

Guest guest37336

Hi Emma.

Without a doubt yes it does, now if I could also find that Bonefish shoal down at Clacton I would be overjoyed.

But seriously, though the sun does make a difference to me, I can still cope with the long winters here in the UK, I am not particularly overjoyed at such a prospect of four or five months of gloomish weather and short days, but nonetheless will make the most of it.

My better half though, now there's a different story. I know she has her problems, bloody mental case and all, but the winter well and truly takes its toll on her. It's like living with a woman on permanent PMT, :wubclub::biglaugh::mad:.

So much so that last winter I went and bought her a SAD lamp (Seasonal Affective Disorder). After bashing her brains out with it the next time she moaned about the weather it did the job.:shocked:

But on a serious note. I was always one of those that poo pooed any type of technological invention that said they could change the mood of its user, but hands up, whilst it hasn't stopped the incessant moaning I can with hand on heart say it has lightened (excuse the pun) her mood considerably.

As I said, she does suffer from several medical conditions, etc, and these types of lamps may not work for all, but all in all I would have to say they have do have their place.

Cheers Tony. :wink:

It certainly does make me feel more positive for some reason. Like today for example I left Todmorden to drive home to Northampton and it was stunning blue sky all the way down, it definitely made the boring stretch of the M1 more bearable!! Although I did complain to my o/h that we should be in a pub garden not a car!!

Also when I drive to work and its a nice blue sky it definitely alters my mood for the day I reckon.

I read a post in here once where someone was struggling with the sunshine and nice weather! Does it become too much after a while?

That would be me. Yes, the constant blue and harshness of the light really does make me feel down. I dont know that I would even describe it as "nice" - it is harsh and bright and some days you can almost feel your skin sizzle. I am not quite at the stage of a few ladies you see around here who only go outside with monster brimmed hats (hate wearing things on my head, it's a tactile thing) but the need to find some shade and mellow light is all important. In the summer, I will happily stay in a room with the blinds drawn (to keep the house cool) and the lights on.

I have a friend who has been living in Aus even longer than me and she is home for a visit at the moment and was really enjoying the weather - said she could save a fortune in skin care products if she moved back (Aussie husband, wont go, just like mine) - and she spends A LOT (think 3 and 4 digits) on skin care every year.

I will be in UK at the end of the week - woo hoo! and am looking forward to some of that really nice soaking rain. We have had quite a bit of rain this year thank goodness but it tends to be the dump and run rather than the gentle soak kind.

It sure does. Even though it is blue sky most of the year, this past couple of weeks when it has been grey and miserable it reminds me of the miserable days in the UK weather.

Yes. I love the sunny and bright mornings.

And the afternoons and the evenings when the sun goes down.

The colours it makes in the sky are beautiful.

NB. It's not like that every day all year ( it's raining now ) and it can be very harsh but it's a positive for me that outweighs the negative.

Guest chris955

Sunshine and blue skies certainly affects some peoples mood, those affected by S.A.D benefit greatly. With me personally blue sky doesn't make me happier as such, it's always a nice bonus.

'king aye it does.:yes:

I"ve been in Oz for 18 months now and am still amazed at seeing a completely blue sky with no clouds in it. Today is a glorious day but I am stuck at work and I'd rather be in the garden or at the beach. Winter has been as miserable as england and its greta to see the sun at last. However, in summer it can get too hot to go out and I've spent a lot of time being stuck indoors trying to cool down but I'd rather have Aussie weather.

Its another lovely day here in melbourne - but been a horrid winter here. It does make a big difference to your mood with the warm sunny weather. i do not miss the grey rainny early nights from the UK. I decied after last winter that would be my last one ever in the UK!!

A great big YES! :wubclub:

We have a beautiful blue sky here in Hobart today and it's invigorating. The air is fresh and clean and the skies are clear - love it!

My last summer in England was hampered by a constant dull grey-white sky with nary a spot of blue throughout the entire season. Miserable.

Of course! :cute:

I LOVE the nice weather here and don't hanker after the cold, drizzly weather at all...having said that, we have had so much rain today that my son has had to come home from school early in case it floods the roads...I have NEVER in my life seen rain come down like it does in SE Queensland, it's unreal :chatterbox:

Yes!!!

When we speak to the rest of the family, who are all in England, we've noticed they ask about the weather if it's OK in England at the time. If it's a nice day when we speak they will say "the weathers beautiful here today" if it's not so good they never mention it. If we ask, and it's a crap day, they more often than not say how it gets them down. We used to have a saying "If you can see Ashover rock from here it's going to rain, and if you can't see it, it's already raining"

We used to have a saying "If you can see Ashover rock from here it's going to rain, and if you can't see it, it's already raining"

When it's looking as if it might rain, wherever in the world we may be, my husband always gravely announces "It's black over Bill's mother's" ... I have no idea who this Bill is of whom he speaks :laugh:

Archived