Casual Racism?

christopher

Good post Fish, you are right name calling is a form endearment in Australia and Aussies tend to call people names that is the opposite to the situation. Its been like that for years

Bluey= Someone who has Ginger hair

Lofty= Person is short

Shorty= Person is tall

Its part of the culture so why try and change it? We already have enough people coming to Australia trying to change the culture as it is because it doesn't suit them.... if we give in and change it then we will all be running around in burqa's.

Accept your adopted country warts-in-all there are plenty of worse places to live in the world.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest31881

What amazes me is the fact that when people get upset about being called a Pom, they seem to forget that in the UK, people are often referred to names that reflect where they come from, How many times have you heard, Jock, paddy, taffy and then you get scouser, brummies, But come to Australia and get called a Pom and some get all upset and say its racist.

Then you get the ones who feel Australia should change. For crying out loud, you are immigrants to this country and you want to change it. If anyone suggests changing the UK to fit in with the Immigrants you get the “throw them out” comments, “send them home”. But they feel it is fine to try and change a country that they are now immigrants in.

Guest Maka Paka
You will notice the question mark at the end of the thread title as I'm not sure if this is the correct term for what I'm experiencing or not. Anyway, I come from the North of England and I have quite a strong Yorkshire accent, now what I'm finding interesting (I say interesting, I mean down right rude!) is that I will be having a conversation with people (Australians that is) and they will often repeat words I have just said in an 'amusing' copy of my my accent and then laugh, now I can take a joke and can laugh at myself and my accent but, this is happening quite often and with all sorts of people, work colleagues(even the boss), clients,shop assistants, bank tellers. Is this casual racism? whatever it's getting a little tiresome to be honest, and it's something that I wouldn't dream of doing to someone else just because they had a 'funny' accent. Has anyone else come across this kind of behavior?

Absolutely mate,the aussies are extemely racist,They are stuck in a time warp between British 70's and Gene hunt! If you don't like it LEAVE!!!!!!

Guest burgledad

Racism is destructive but it happens. However, a lot of the posts on this thread seem to be from over-sensitive Brits who take offence at a bit of humorous leg pulling. As a Pom, this type of crying is embarrassing. I like to think that I can tell the difference.

In the UK the red-top newspapers seem to have created a victim society that likes to be offended; the worst are those who are offended on other's behalf. If you're moving to Aus (I am soon), leave sensitivities at the airprot and learn to tell the difference between racism and humour otherwise life will be difficult. If you can't, then don't move to Aus (or northern England).

I think you might be misinterpreting the name calling slightly though...Australians call each other names, the more someone is your mate the more you are expected to call him a name....calling someone a name is often considered a friendship opener, you are meant to come back with a snappy one liner, back and forth, having a laugh about it.

Think of it as a test....if you react negatively then a lot of Aussies will just think you are arrogant and the tone of the conversation will turn. If instead you laugh, snap your fingers, and say "convict, fetch my shoes" in your poshest pommy accent they'll think you're great!!!

Traditionally, if someone in Australia STOPS calling you a name that is when they don't like you. If "come ere ya pommy bastard" turns into "Excuse me mate, you're needed over here" then you're in trouble. :wink:

fair enough, but this is not a society I want ti live my life in, I look foward to moving back home.

FWIW, I have never been arrogant to anyone, I do take it on the chin, I just find it tiresome

fair enough, but this is not a society I want ti live my life in, I look foward to moving back home.

FWIW, I have never been arrogant to anyone, I do take it on the chin, I just find it tiresome

A lot of the stuff I described is more prominent in certain occupations, places and age levels. Depending on your job you do not have to mix with the more ocker Australians who love that stuff if you don't want.

Personally I think the country you are returning to is full of very similar humour you think you are leaving behind. A lot of it is similar to northern English humour and your location/demographic in both countries really determines how much of it you come across.

The real difference might be that you are a foreigner in this country but part of the main group in your own. That can be hard to get used to. I lived in the UK for years and have been through that process so I can sympathise with you....I hope now that you have decided to go home you can enjoy the rest of your stay with us. :wubclub:

As I say I am probably over sensitive and a bit of Guardian reading lefty but do you think a person from america would like to be introduced as a 'Yank', do you not think its a bit condescending?

Saying that I am talking about a country that thinks 'Wog Boy' and 'Wog Boy 2' is acceptable.

1. I have several American friends who quite happily refer to themselves as Yanks. (In fact I was married to one for many years!)

Do you think they would do this if they thought it was condescending?

2. The titles 'Wog Boy' and 'Wog Boy 2' were given to these films by the writers - who were GREEK. The Director was Greek. Most of the stars were Greek or Italian.

Australian colloquial and slang language was influenced by Irish and Cockney convicts and immigrants who wanted to be subversive, by a pidgin English needed to communicate with the Aboriginal inhabitants and by the black humour needed to survive pioneering in a tough, often ruthless environment.

As a Guardian reader you would have the literacy skills to read up on the history of Australia and understand that its language and attitudes have nothing to do with your sense of decorum or sensitivities. It's a much bigger picture than that.

I personally think it does highlight a massive difference in the tolerance of 'name calling' in the two countries (UK & Australia), and it's one thing that I've struggled with. I honestly do not like being called 'the pom' or 'pommy' . As I say maybe I'm too sensitive about these things.

So you've never heard the words of the anti-Australian songs used by the English Barmy Army at the England-Australia cricket matches?

Guest Shane&Lynn
That's an oxymoron surely?

Anyway, Im perhaps a bit too sensitive, but I do find the whole 'pommy' business really rather tiresome. I get introduced as a 'pommy' or, he's the new 'pom' bla, bla, bla! as I say it's rather tirsome and a bit backward, Imagine introducing a Chinese person as a 'chinky' or a person from pakistan as a 'paki', personally I wouldn't do it as I think it's disrespectful and wrong. Basically I'm in the wrong country, I like decorum and respect, and these qualities I've found sadly lacking in Australia.

With all due respect to your sensitivities, you want to try being from the land of saints and scholars (or Ireland as it's otherwise known) I've lived england for 12 years and still have to put up with paddy and mick jibes and jokes even from so called educated people. These seem be deemed socially acceptable but don't dare talk about Pakis etc.

Perhaps take the log out of your own eye before looking at the splinter in the Aussie's eye?

Guest siamsusie
Being called a pom by aussies wont be any worse than all the sarcastic ,thieving ,doley ,criminal scouser jokes by "our own",im not arsed,i'l just give it back,water off a ducks:cute:

When you discover there isnt any TV reception at Victor harbour, you'll without a doubt be calling them Ozzie bastards:twitcy::twitcy:

When you discover there isnt any TV reception at Victor harbour, you'll without a doubt be calling them Ozzie bastards:twitcy::twitcy:

I'l no doubt be calling them that anyway susie,but dont go depressing me over a tv signal madam:mad:,i NEEEEED me footy,PROPER footy!mind you the way were playing:idea::biglaugh:

Guest Working to fish
I'l no doubt be calling them that anyway susie,but dont go depressing me over a tv signal madam:mad:,i NEEEEED me footy,PROPER footy!mind you the way were playing:idea::biglaugh:

Ah Pabs i am sat watching world football ,robbie (your god )

Has just done an interview ,and get this ,there takeing the p!ss out of his accent :no:

Guest siamsusie

Knowing that you are partial to a spot of Footie thats exactly why I posted it Mr Pabs:huh:

Love Grasshopper:wubclub:

Edited to add just to add to the misery..... whisky double the price, ciggies that have some sort of "extinguishing chemicals: in them to make them go out half way thro the smoke.... but life is sweet the wild life are pretty cool :tongue:

Ah Pabs i am sat watching world football ,robbie (your god )

Has just done an interview ,and get this ,there takeing the p!ss out of his accent :no:

:biglaugh: Never took the piss out of me tbh,but it WAS only 3 weeks,no probs when they do ed,as long as they are willing to get it back x 10:biggrin:

Hatttrick for the meister wasnt it ed? great lad btw,spent an hour or so with him having a scoop in mathew st lpool years ago,top drawer:notworthy:

Knowing that you are partial to a spot of Footie thats exactly why I posted it Mr Pabs:huh:

Love Grasshopper:wubclub:

Edited to add just to add to the misery..... whisky double the price, ciggies that have some sort of "extinguishing chemicals: in them to make them go out half way thro the smoke.... but life is sweet the wild life are pretty cool :tongue:

:biglaugh: Dearer i seem to remember susie,not double tho is it? i'l be smoking me plants mostly so it will be ok:cute:,trying to remember what i smoked over there now:goofy:,the stronger marlboro was it?? too much whiskey,cant remember mate!!!!

Guest siamsusie
:biglaugh: Dearer i seem to remember susie,not double tho is it? i'l be smoking me plants mostly so it will be ok:cute:,trying to remember what i smoked over there now:goofy:,the stronger marlboro was it?? too much whiskey,cant remember mate!!!!

Hi Pabs...

I have just done a little comparison, of course I realise you are a man of taste:huh:

Glenfiddich 700ml : Boozle.com.au : Search for Australia's cheapest alcohol prices

Glenfiddich 12 years old (700ml)

Special!

$49.99

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/search/searchcontainer.jsp?trailSize=1&searchString=asda+vodka&domainName=Products&headerVersion=v1&_requestid=192154

• Glenfiddich 12 Year Old Malt Whisky

• (70cl)

• £27.97

• so actually not much difference there.

Karloff 700ml : Boozle.com.au : Search for Australia's cheapest alcohol prices

Vodka 700ml approx $30-$33

:elvis:

Good to see you pick and roll your own and I am a great advocate of "cottage industries":idea: Did you smoke:

holidaykings_30_purple.jpg by any chance lol

Cheers susie:wink:

Fiddy 12 y.o you can get for about £22 "sometimes" if memory serves,nice like.

But im not dead fussy tbh,i quite like the cheaper ones like jamesons or grouse as well,my whiskey doesnt have to be a hundred years old and made from the sweat off a hundred gaelic virgins or anything tbh susie,im not a "sipper" so "real" quality wouldnt last mate!

I "sort of" worked out that a reasonable/drinkable bottle was about £15 over there i think?

Guest siamsusie
Cheers susie:wink:

Fiddy 12 y.o you can get for about £22 "sometimes" if memory serves,nice like.

But im not dead fussy tbh,i quite like the cheaper ones like jamesons or grouse as well,my whiskey doesnt have to be a hundred years old and made from the sweat off a hundred gaelic virgins or anything tbh susie,im not a "sipper" so "real" quality wouldnt last mate!

I "sort of" worked out that a reasonable/drinkable bottle was about £15 over there i think?

Yes Mr Siam is partial to a whisky and pays around $30 odd bucks for his when he is here.

Anyway better get off this casual racist thread... apologies Christopher:notworthy:

Probs got my figures wrong looking at your link tho susie,litre of jamesons $57:rolleyes:,mind you i was converting at about $2 to £ then,but anyway,still seems dear going on link.

Will have to improvise or change me drink or cut down:shocked::no::biglaugh:

Anyway,i better shut up,ive gone offtopic again!:embarrassed::wubclub:

Maybe so, but Im not sure they're on the decline here, i.e they were never here in the first place :-)

And yes I've never encountered as much racism, sexism as I have in Australia, and it seems to be excepted and the norm here. I even heard the phrase 'While you're down there love' the other day at work! I mean come on!

What? you've not heard that in an English nightclub? I thought that was where the phrase was invented. That was back in the 70's too.

Guest siamsusie
What? you've not heard that in an English nightclub? I thought that was where the phrase was invented. That was back in the 70's too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher viewpost.gif

Maybe so, but Im not sure they're on the decline here, i.e they were never here in the first place :-)

And yes I've never encountered as much racism, sexism as I have in Australia, and it seems to be excepted and the norm here. I even heard the phrase 'While you're down there love' the other day at work! I mean come on!

:huh::huh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Oh ! dont tempt me please!

Archived