Casual Racism?

christopher

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But again,they use it themselves?

Not where I come from, and if so, it's certainly not as common as some of the black communities using the 'N' word.

I do agree its all about the intent, but then again If I used the word 'Paki' whether intended as a racial slur or not it could and probably would cause offence so I wouldn't use it, just as I wouldn't say words like 'chinky' or 'yid' as I personally think they are not nice and there is no need.

As for the joke thing, I kind of agree, I think you can tell a joke using stereotypes without being racist, and we can and should be able to all laugh at ourselves and others, but there are boundaries and lines and situations where we all have a duty not to deliberately offend people and be inappropriate.

It's also worth remembering that being offended is not restricted to people who are at the butt of the racist slur, for example I could be offended by someone being racist even if it isn't aimed at my race.

Guest siamsusie
Budgie smuggling GAY git according to you susie,lets have it right,see yer in court!:mad::biglaugh:

god-marijuana-demotivational-poster-1234150375.jpg

PEACE BRO!:vampire::happy_face_mummy_go:hug:

Im no liberal ,nor a racist,but paki to me is just an abbreviation unlike the N word,same as brit is an abbreviation?be interested to know what asians themselves thought of it tbh.

The ones I've spoken too, most don't like being called Asian as they don't feel Asain and would rather be called Pakki than Asian. Others have said they are not Asian nor are they a Pakki, but English!!!! This is where they were born this is where they live, :notworthy:

I think the problem is................. No matter where you live before you call anybody anything, just remember they may not like it, and they're not being sensitive, it's you that's being insensitive.

But on the other hand if you don't tell people you don't like being called (insert word here) how can you complain? You can't expect people to read your mind

Guest Working to fish
The ones I've spoken too, most don't like being called Asian as they don't feel Asain and would rather be called Pakki than Asian. Others have said they are not Asian nor are they a Pakki, but English!!!! This is where they were born this is where they live, :notworthy:

I think the problem is................. No matter where you live before you call anybody anything, just remember they may not like it, and they're not being sensitive, it's you that's being insensitive.

But on the other hand if you don't tell people you don't like being called (insert word here) how can you complain? You can't expect people to read your mind

Do you sound pommy mate ,as your on your way back thought i would ask ,:idea:

Not where I come from, and if so, it's certainly not as common as some of the black communities using the 'N' word.

I do agree its all about the intent, but then again If I used the word 'Paki' whether intended as a racial slur or not it could and probably would cause offence so I wouldn't use it, just as I wouldn't say words like 'chinky' or 'yid' as I personally think they are not nice and there is no need.

As for the joke thing, I kind of agree, I think you can tell a joke using stereotypes without being racist, and we can and should be able to all laugh at ourselves and others, but there are boundaries and lines and situations where we all have a duty not to deliberately offend people and be inappropriate.

It's also worth remembering that being offended is not restricted to people who are at the butt of the racist slur, for example I could be offended by someone being racist even if it isn't aimed at my race.

Exactly my point,quite often its others taking umbridge at a joke aimed at others,and objecting "on their behalf".

Where does racism stop tho? theres loads of jokes been on here about the scots for instance,or the welsh and irish? ive had all the usual scouse stereotype type jokes since ive been on here(none i didnt already know btw),is that racist?regionalist?

None of the mods have ever deleted them,but they no doubt would if they were about asians? as i say tho,i just take the "majority" of these jokes as banter,rarely snide tbh.

Ive lost count of the number of times ive read "yes well if your from a depressed town in the north of england, australia WILL feel like utopia",btw every town in the south is affluent and picturesque:wink:

All im trying to say is that people get that little bit TOO sensitive about what they percieve as racism,normally its white people wearing a hair shirt/flagelating themselves over things that to me are just banter a "lot" of the time,with no malice intended.

Have you ever seen how many white people are in the audience at a Chris Rock show?

This black comedian slates white people,takes the p7ss bigtime,but nobody objects.

Can you imagine what would've happened with a Bernard Manning show?

ALL races are a little bit racist,if thats what yer want to call it,i think most of it just a p7sstake about our differences,because...we ARE different:shocked:

Also many of the people who get referred to as 'Paki' may actually be Indian or of Indian decent.

An excellent point, I'm not sure when common decency and respect became such a bad thing.

Guest guest36762
[/color]

Exactly my point,quite often its others taking umbridge at a joke aimed at others,and objecting "on their behalf".

Where does racism stop tho? theres loads of jokes been on here about the scots for instance,or the welsh and irish? ive had all the usual scouse stereotype type jokes since ive been on here(none i didnt already know btw),is that racist?regionalist?

None of the mods have ever deleted them,but they no doubt would if they were about asians? as i say tho,i just take the "majority" of these jokes as banter,rarely snide tbh.

Ive lost count of the number of times ive read "yes well if your from a depressed town in the north of england, australia WILL feel like utopia",btw every town in the south is affluent and picturesque:wink:

All im trying to say is that people get that little bit TOO sensitive about what they percieve as racism,normally its white people wearing a hair shirt/flagelating themselves over things that to me are just banter a "lot" of the time,with no malice intended.

Have you ever seen how many white people are in the audience at a Chris Rock show?

This black comedian slates white people,takes the p7ss bigtime,but nobody objects.

ALL races are a little bit racist,if thats what yer want to call it,i think most of it just a p7sstake about our differences,because...we ARE different:shocked:

typical opinionated scouse git:wink:

Guest Working to fish
:notworthy:We DO have a lot to say for ourselves dont we H:biglaugh:,outgoing i call it!

Im on the look out for a stereo Pabs ,stick one in your case mate :wink:

[/color]

TBH I've not got the answer on where the line is. Although your post seems to be specifically about Jokes based on stereotypes. A lot of what I have written about on this thread are not jokes but general ignorance/unnecessary name calling, I think there is a massive difference between those things.

The first thing is that i dont meet any asians,theres not many here tbh,the second is if i did i wouldnt introduce myself by saying "alrite paki mate",i'd ask their name,same as i wouldnt say "alrite cockney mate",were just talking in "general" terms.

And i cant ever see me meeting any asians who say "alrite mate,im mustapha,btw dont call me a paki".

The only time ive ever mixed with asians is during a yr spent working in walsall w.mids,dont know what religion they were because i never asked,couldnt give a toss tbh

I was the novelty factor there because pleck is an asian community,and i was the only scouser,so THEY all knew me,i didnt know all of them,just the ones i met in the pub etc.

Anyway,i survived intact,got on with them sound,had a bevvy,played pool etc,so thanks for the diplomacy lesson,but i do ok on me own,thx tho:wink:

TBH I've not got the answer on where the line is. Although your post seems to be specifically about Jokes based on stereotypes. A lot of what I have written about on this thread are not jokes but general ignorance/unnecessary name calling, I think there is a massive difference between those things.

I dont tbh with you,therein lies my point,WHO is right?WHAT constitutes racism?

A stereotype of an asian is owning a corner shop,so are we saying its ok to take the p7ss over them owning all the corner shops because thats STEREOTYPING and not RACISM?

[/color]

And i cant ever see me meeting any asians who say "alrite mate,im mustapha,btw dont call me a paki".

The only time ive ever mixed with asians is during a yr spent working in walsall w.mids,dont know what religion they were because i never asked,couldnt give a toss tbh

With the risk of sounding a tad condescending, being from Pakistan is not a Religion.

Do you sound pommy mate ,as your on your way back thought i would ask ,:idea:

Hmmm......:embarrassed:

People in the UK say I have a strong Australian accent, but the last time I was in Australia, people said I sounded like a POM :arghh:

I guess it's hard not to pick up certain English words over 6 years.

Guest Working to fish

People in the UK say I have a strong Australian accent, but the last time I was in Australia, people said I sounded like a POM :arghh:

Mate best of luck ,when spending money please do try to sound ozzie as :wink:

[/color]

The first thing is that i dont meet any asians,theres not many here tbh,the second is if i did i wouldnt introduce myself by saying "alrite paki mate",i'd ask their name,same as i wouldnt say "alrite cockney mate",were just talking in "general" terms.

I was the novelty factor there because pleck is an asian community,and i was the only scouser,so THEY all knew me,i didnt know all of them,just the ones i met in the pub etc.

Anyway,i survived intact,got on with them sound,had a bevvy,played pool etc,so thanks for the diplomacy lesson,but i do ok on me own,thx tho:wink:

I was answering your question! :wink:

This wasn't directed at you, :wink:

Guest siamsusie

Will you miss the "Chinky Takeaways" Geoff when you come on over:huh:?

[/color]

I dont tbh with you,therein lies my point,WHO is right?WHAT constitutes racism?

A stereotype of an asian is owning a corner shop,so are we saying its ok to take the p7ss over them owning all the corner shops because thats STEREOTYPING and not RACISM?

Well by definition Racism is when you think the person is inferior because of their race.

A Stereotype is a commonly held belief about specific social groups or race.

For example (and i stress these are not my views)

Saying there's an Asian man I bet he owns a corner shop is a stereotype.

Saying there's an Asian man, I bet he owns a corner shop, because that's all 'they' are good at, is quite obviously racist.

Which doesn't help because both could be offensive to some.

Well by definition Racism is when you think the person is inferior because of their race.

A Stereotype is a commonly held belief about specific social groups or race.

For example (and i stress these are not my views)

Saying there's an Asian man I bet he owns a corner shop is a stereotype.

Saying there's an Asian man, I bet he owns a corner shop, because that's all 'they' are good at, is quite obviously racist.

Which doesn't help because both could be offensive to some.

I know all that,but you seemed to be implying that stereotyping was ok,or at least not as malicious as racism,while i think theres not much difference?

I just think you seem a bit too sensitive tbh,ive no doubt every race has a laugh and joke and a bit of racism/stereotyping about other races,it just the way it is,i dont beat meself up about it tbh,you are obviously looking for this utopia where everyone respects every other race/creed as much as the next,im pragmatic enuf to realise it wont happen.

Archived