Casual Racism?

christopher

Regarding the Rolf Harris part it seems clear to me that the writer has adopted the comic technique of using a well- known UK caricature (in this case of Aussie 'culture'), Rolf Harris, to satirise Australia. The fact it is so silly and inappropriate is what makes it humourous.... ie, one eccentric chap with bushy hair, who we associate with our childhood, painting on a white canvas and asking 'can you see what it is yet ?' (in a funny accent) , juxtaposed against a richness of 30,000 years of Indigenous languages, paintings etc

Don't forget who the author was writing for and what his purpose was.. The piece appeared in a UK broad sheet designed for a UK audience with the intent of a satirical gloat about beating the Aussies at sport - (something they do take overly seriously here). If it was to be taken at face value without a hint of irony and satire then it would have appeared in the Daily Mail accompanied with a picture of Shane Warne wearing zinc lippy under the strap line 'Is this the Face of Evil?'

I agree that those lighthearted satirical gloats exist - and some are funny - I just don't think Giles Coren came close. I think most can tell the difference between fun and nastiness - people try and disguise it but most can see through it - same as on this forum. Giles, unfortunately makes a habit of spilling into nastiness through lack of wit and his bigotry.

You may have heard his "pissed irish plasterer", the "Polacks" should all go back where they come from because their grandparents burned jews, his "Ich bin ein Racist" slur against germans etc This pompous plonker has form and has attracted a lot of derision from his compatriots as well: http://www.spectator.co.uk/essays/all/2189296/part_3/im-proud-to-be-famous-for-being-rude.thtml (Seems he isn't half the man his father was). England has a lot of funny people....not this one....he's just a social climbing bigot who thinks looking down on others with sarcasm amounts to humour.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest32776
I agree that those lighthearted satirical gloats exist - and some are funny - I just don't think Giles Coren came close. I think most can tell the difference between fun and nastiness - people try and disguise it but most can see through it - same as on this forum. Giles, unfortunately makes a habit of spilling into nastiness through lack of wit and his bigotry.

You may have heard his "pissed irish plasterer", the "Polacks" should all go back where they come from because their grandparents burned jews, his "Ich bin ein Racist" slur against germans etc This pompous plonker has form and has attracted a lot of derision from his compatriots as well: I’m proud to be famous for being rude | The Spectator (Seems he isn't half the man his father was).

I confess to not having read anything from him before so was looking at the 'macho' article as a stand alone. It's definitely on the edge of humour and I think there are certainly funnier writers around, yet, it still made me smile. We may have to agree to disagree Fish.01 :eek:

I confess to not having read anything from him before so was looking at the 'macho' article as a stand alone. It's definitely on the edge of humour and I think there are certainly funnier writers around, yet, it still made me smile. We may have to agree to disagree Fish.01 :eek:

Sure, well done to England in the cricket BTW, we'll get you next time :wink: (or maybe the time after that)

• 11 months later...
I honestly was convinced it’s the work of comedian. You know the very intelligent well thought out Tongue-in-cheek sketch along the lines of Leight Francis aka Avid Merrion or Sacha Baron Cohen aka Ali G but sadly not its main stream TV.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1613645/Keeping-migrants-safe-at-the-beach

what is the page? nothing much shows up except a photo of some people on surf boards

Never, not once in 30 years in Australia have I suffered racism for being a Pommie. The odd bit of Mickey taking but never ever nasty. Maybe you sound like Freddie Trueman or Geoff Boycott. If it really affects your life then go to your employer and put the anti-discrimination laws into action. If that does not work then go back to England.

PS to the idiot who says that Australia is 30 years behind the UK - what complete B*** ****

Would you do that to a person who you have just met or were say, serving in a shop though? this is more my point. For example, I cannot imagine speaking to an indian or chinese person (or any other person with a different accent to me) and openly mocking their accent after they have just spoken to me for the first time, can you?

If someone is rude by mocking a person in such circumstances it shows that persons ignorance. I would suggest a lot of folk would be likely to ignore the person resulting in the isolation of that person. Although in certain blue collar jobs the mocking and worse can be unending. The husband of a former collegue of mine of Sri Lankan decent but raised in Denmark experienced such treatment working in a meat works. He had both dark appearance plus a strong accent.

Guest guest59177
Well im from lpool,i have a fairly strong accent i suppose,i dont think the circumstances you describe are peculiar to just australia.

We've had people taking the p7ss/imitating our accent for donkeys years,water off a ducks tbh,the only annoying thing is they sound like brummies when they do it!!!

Most of the australians we met thought we were scots or irish tbh,they didnt think we were from england,we got asked to repeat certain words because (A) they didnt understand,and (B) because they also seemed to find the pronunciation amusing.

It didnt/doesnt bother me,i work in a job that is p7sstake from 8 a.m till 4p.m,so maybe im used to it?

I used to see an american girl in London for about 18 months,she had freinds from all over the world who we would drink with,if i got asked to say chicken once i must have been asked a thousand times,simply because i/we cant say it without it sounding like "chckckckn":rolleyes:,san fairy ann

Oh dear. I just about cause myself a redface trying to saying out loud 'chckckckn' in my office :laugh:

I just read the first page or so but it all sounds eerily like myself. I have been imitating stevie ellis on and off and never realized I could be culprit of racism. To be honest I really enjoy the accent and I just want to be able to type just like that. So I do it for practice. I also like pablo's accent. Why do I want to repicate this? Well, you know, one day I might write my own novel and I might have to add a scottish character?? You never know when a good accent will come handy!!! So may I ask permission to try and mimic the accents around PIO... just want to learn 'sall.

Oh dear. I just about cause myself a redface trying to saying out loud 'chckckckn' in my office :laugh:

I just read the first page or so but it all sounds eerily like myself. I have been imitating stevie ellis on and off and never realized I could be culprit of racism. To be honest I really enjoy the accent and I just want to be able to type just like that. So I do it for practice. I also like pablo's accent. Why do I want to repicate this? Well, you know, one day I might write my own novel and I might have to add a scottish character?? You never know when a good accent will come handy!!! So may I ask permission to try and mimic the accents around PIO... just want to learn 'sall.

I guess a lot of us have accents on here Lepto,things would be easier in oz if i never tho,i found that out on our validation trip!

The easiest way to describe it was given by some lads i was talking to in a shop once,i asked them where they were from,Tajikistan they said,then jokingly they said to me "are you arabic?",i said "arabic?how come?"

They smiled and said "you say ck as arabic Qqq",hence words with ck in them end up sounding like chickqen,cant help it im afraid

Guest guest59177
I guess a lot of us have accents on here Lepto,things would be easier in oz if i never tho,i found that out on our validation trip!

The easiest way to describe it was given by some lads i was talking to in a shop once,i asked them where they were from,Tajikistan they said,then jokingly they said to me "are you arabic?",i said "arabic?how come?"

They smiled and said "you say ck as arabic Qqq",hence words with ck in them end up sounding like chickqen,cant help it im afraid

Aaaaaaaaaaaah NOW I get it. Hooooooooooooo boy what a way to say chickqen :laugh: I am sure the lasses don't mind when you go chiq hunting eh? :laugh:

Aaaaaaaaaaaah NOW I get it. Hooooooooooooo boy what a way to say chickqen :laugh: I am sure the lasses don't mind when you go chiq hunting eh? :laugh:

Lol,alas those days are gone Lepto,more likely to go chip hunting than chickq hunting now:rolleyes:

Nah seriously tho,im ok with british/irish accents because ive worked here and there with lads from all over,but tbh its asking a bit much to expect aussies to understand all our regional accents isnt it?

I sound like this but with a deeper voice,i will try and temper it if we get there,not easy tho tbh

[YOUTUBE]XSD9XF6S5BE[/YOUTUBE]

I honestly was convinced it’s the work of comedian. You know the very intelligent well thought out Tongue-in-cheek sketch along the lines of Leight Francis aka Avid Merrion or Sacha Baron Cohen aka Ali G but sadly not its main stream TV.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1613645/Keeping-migrants-safe-at-the-beach

It has been removed.. Will hunt it down. Its a video showing a bunch of people in a class room been spoken too like idiots by a pantomime style presenter with big expressions and waving arms like its play school about the dangers of the water.

This is not the actual clip but you have to love this also. I don't think I am been an arse but the use of the words in context "Them" and "They" I find shocking.

Archived