Casual Racism?

christopher

You will notice the question mark at the end of the thread title as I'm not sure if this is the correct term for what I'm experiencing or not. Anyway, I come from the North of England and I have quite a strong Yorkshire accent, now what I'm finding interesting (I say interesting, I mean down right rude!) is that I will be having a conversation with people (Australians that is) and they will often repeat words I have just said in an 'amusing' copy of my my accent and then laugh, now I can take a joke and can laugh at myself and my accent but, this is happening quite often and with all sorts of people, work colleagues(even the boss), clients,shop assistants, bank tellers. Is this casual racism? whatever it's getting a little tiresome to be honest, and it's something that I wouldn't dream of doing to someone else just because they had a 'funny' accent. Has anyone else come across this kind of behavior?

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My husband has a geordie accent and when we visit my son in the country his friends come up and say to him "say something", he just thinks its funny.

Personally I nor my oh would worry about it, just ignore and it goes away.

Where my oh worked there were a lot of scots people and they used to take the mick our of their accents, also the greek guys they worked with it was all done in jest and good humour as they had all worked with each other for a long long time.

Guest guest32776

Absolutely...I have travelled around the world and lived and worked in many cities but I have never come across so much overt 'p7ss taking'. There is no target that is taboo it seems. I worked in an office in Sydney and my nick name was 'cup of tea' - which was comparatively benign considering there was a Pakistani chap who was labelled 'darky' and a Chinese lady who had to put up with people changing all the 'r's in conversation to 'l's. Hysterical.... I guess the UK was like this at one point or we wouldn't have spawned the likes of Alf Garnett, Mind your language etc.... Australia is just 30 years behind and needs a massive injection of political correctedness.

Is this casual racism? whatever it's getting a little tiresome to be honest, and it's something that I wouldn't dream of doing to someone else just because they had a 'funny' accent. Has anyone else come across this kind of behavior?

Yes, all the time when we were in the U.S. They loved hearing our Australian accent and would often ask us to repeat words.

Firstly, if you're of white Caucasian descent it can't be anything to do with race. Maybe it should be called "accentism".

Secondly, your accent is fascinating to them and they're responding with friendly humour. Australians - particularly Australian males - spend a lot of time ribbing their mates: if you don't learn to laugh with them you're going to have a hard time.

Yes, all the time when we were in the U.S. They loved hearing our Australian accent and would often ask us to repeat words.

Firstly, if you're of white Caucasian descent it can't be anything to do with race. Maybe it should be called "accentism".

Secondly, your accent is fascinating to them and they're responding with friendly humour. Australians - particularly Australian males - spend a lot of time ribbing their mates: if you don't learn to laugh with them you're going to have a hard time.

As I said I can have a laugh, and if it was my 'mates' that were doing in it fair enough, but this is happening with people I have just met, as I say, personally I think its just plain rude.

I don't mind at all, in fact I am happy to go on to discuss how many words we pronounce differently and none of the Aussies have been at all offended by me poking fun at "dah-ta" or "marrown".

Just take it in good part and be aware that if they didn't like you they wouldn't do it.

Try as I might, I just can't get offended by it.

none of the Aussies have been at all offended by me poking fun at "dah-ta" or "marrown".

Would you do that to a person who you have just met or were say, serving in a shop though? this is more my point. For example, I cannot imagine speaking to an indian or chinese person (or any other person with a different accent to me) and openly mocking their accent after they have just spoken to me for the first time, can you?

Would you do that to a person who you have just met or were say, serving in a shop though? this is more my point. For example, I cannot imagine speaking to an indian or chinese person (or any other person with a different accent to me) and openly mocking their accent after they have just spoken to me for the first time, can you?

I guess it isn't as obvious with me as I have a very "middle English" type of accent. Almost posh at times. lol

But I have heard of a friend who had a new English neighbour (from oop north) who came around to borrow something but couldn't make the Aussie understand what she wanted, so after being offered books, and food was invited in to rifle through the cupboards. Eventually she pulled out a bucket. I think that's really funny, I can just picture the scene. I think they are half laughing at themselves for not being able to understand you.

Also, an aunt (Aussie) came over to Europe for a tour and whilst on the channel ferry was spoken to by a group of young lads and she apologised, saying she could only speak English. They cracked up - they were scousers!

I just think it's all fun. I really don't have a problem with it.

I guess, at the end of the day, we all DECIDE what we can tolerate and what we will be offended by. I just choose to take the peaceful route when I can. I have learned a lot as I have got older.:wubclub:

I think your kid of misunderstanding what I'm getting at (pretty much like the Aussies then :-)

I'm not that bothered about people not being able to understand me, I can quite get that as my accent is strong (although it does get annoying having to repeat myself!), its people repeating what I've just said in a fake northern accent i.e mocking my accent that I think is pretty rude.

Honestly I am not easily offended, but this really does 'get my goat' to use the parlance of the country!

I think your kid of misunderstanding what I'm getting at (pretty much like the Aussies then :-)

I'm not that bothered about people not being able to understand me, I can quite get that as my accent is strong (although it does get annoying having to repeat myself!), its people repeating what I've just said in a fake northern accent i.e mocking my accent that I think is pretty rude.

Honestly I am not easily offended, but this really does 'get my goat' to use the parlance of the country!

No, I understand fully.

Your accent was no impediment here!:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest nicola c

i always get people mocking my accent and i'm from yorkshire as well but i dont take offence i just do it back, thats mainly my husband whose an aussie though. i have had people in woolworths just be down right rude cause they dont understand me. these people are usually low educated, mullett loving, moccasin wearing, bogans. just remember all the estaters back home who cant read and ride horses bare back while there brothers nicking the neighbours car. same deal just over here they get employed.

also many people probably dont understand you, i'm usually mistaken for scottish or irish in melbourne but people have thought i was non english in country victoria. sorry to say but many people are just ignorant to other accents apart from the queens english or cockney. just spruce up ur aussie accent and take the piss ocker style

Australia is just 30 years behind and needs a massive injection of political correctedness.

30 years behind who???? Sorry couldn't be England could it?!?!?!

As an Aussie living in the UK, I always get people making light of my accent...... G'Day mate, throw another shrimp on the barbie, is this your sheila? (pointing to Tracy) etc, love it when they try to copy my accent........

IMHO it shows that they are trying to show a bit of warmth towards me, I guess I could take it the other way and treat it like an insult but what's the point?

So in summing up Australia is no further behind than the UK or the rest of the world :wubclub:

christopher Would you do that to a person who you have just met or were say, serving in a shop though? this is more my point. For example, I cannot imagine speaking to an indian or chinese person (or any other person with a different accent to me) and openly mocking their accent after they have just spoken to me for the first time, can you?

Happens all the time in the UK.

Well im from lpool,i have a fairly strong accent i suppose,i dont think the circumstances you describe are peculiar to just australia.

We've had people taking the p7ss/imitating our accent for donkeys years,water off a ducks tbh,the only annoying thing is they sound like brummies when they do it!!!

Most of the australians we met thought we were scots or irish tbh,they didnt think we were from england,we got asked to repeat certain words because (A) they didnt understand,and (B) because they also seemed to find the pronunciation amusing.

It didnt/doesnt bother me,i work in a job that is p7sstake from 8 a.m till 4p.m,so maybe im used to it?

I used to see an american girl in London for about 18 months,she had freinds from all over the world who we would drink with,if i got asked to say chicken once i must have been asked a thousand times,simply because i/we cant say it without it sounding like "chckckckn":rolleyes:,san fairy ann

Australia is just 30 years behind and needs a massive injection of political correctedness.

Have to disagree, there is no need for any political correctness there is enough PC bull**** as it is. We might not be able to turn the clock back 30 years but lets not make the same mistake twice.

Guest guest37336

Reference accents. When I am in the south east/London no one comments on my accent, BUT. When I visit north, east, south or west the normal response is, 'Not from round these parts are you'.

And still to this day because I speak with a cockney :notworthy::notworthy: accent, have a few tattoos, some people immediately think I am as thick as a brick, not far off the mark in actual fact.:biglaugh::biglaugh:

But like many have said, it is water off a ducks back to me. I find it really amusing when someone has judged me purely on my accent and tats, and when we get onto a subject I am passionate about, i.e., politics, unfairness, apathy, etc, and I go into a tirade about these things people rather than thinking I have every right to have an opinion think instead that as a 'thicky' I have no right to say what I think.:biglaugh::biglaugh:

And I was once told that I must have read that on the back of a cereal packet because us 'Londoners' are ALL like the Eastenders characters.:goofy:

Cheers Tony:wink:

its usually a bit of fun.

I work with a hungarian, Romainans, a taiwanese, 2 poles, a couple of fully sic wogs , me - a pom and the rest ozzies, one of who is country nsw.(we in Vic).

typical day, 3AW radio and they always rip the 'how you going' accent on the radio.

Im always geezer,

we all take the piss out of the hungarians accent cos she swears too much.

The romainains have their own click.

generally, its just a bit of fun.

Sometimes they gang up on me cos I always 'whinge' about the radio.

Its just friendly banter.

My Japanese flat mate always says ' you know wot i meen' mimicking me, I off course love to give it back and often, randoms might knock off the accent and I always take it with humour.

I dont take it as racism and I dont think its racism either.

Its good people make assumptions because of your accent/occupation/appearance tone,because they have already disarmed themselves by assuming your thick.

So if you can string three words together they are that suprised their already on the back foot:wink:

Guest Guest40285

Love your work Tony, My mum is a Londoner I love her to bits, Im inked up big time and love it, each to thier own, Funny how people from all walks of life and all parts of this big globe act and behave, even react to certain remarks and comments, I put it down to lifes rich pattern.

Cheers Matt

Guest sunnyday

We're from Lancs and have been here 7 weeks. I've been told 3 times that I've got a "lovely accent" much to the annoyance of my husband who's been asked if he's Irish :eek::biglaugh:

I haven't been copied yet but if/when I am I think I'll just take great pleasure in doing it back, I Love taking the mickey out of people I know can take it and give it back, all in good fun of course :wink:

Guest Shane&Lynn

When I first came over to England to do teacher training about 13 years ago from Northern Ireland I had the same reaction, and still do at times. I found myself having to slow the way I speak to about half speed which sounded to me like I was talking to someone of a very low mental capability. Also local dialects an nuances have often caused much confusion. "get me that yoke there" easily understood in N. Ireland but not it seems in Manchester: -)

Guest guest37336
Its good people make assumptions because of your accent/occupation/appearance tone,because they have already disarmed themselves by assuming your thick.

So if you can string three words together they are that suprised their already on the back foot:wink:

Yeah, your probably right Pablo, AND.

I often find myself purposefully using cockney slang, and Cor Blimey Guv in the middle of sentences when I find someone looking down on me, a reckon it is a bit of reverse psychology myself, the missus gets really embarrassed.

I remember once on a beach in Spain (shorts, t shirt, having a roll up) I was talking to this young lad (about twelve) about what he wanted to do, etc, and he was really interested in Australia, so there I was giving him the old, 'Go for it mate', blah, blah, blah.

Up walks Mum, and within earshot she says, 'You don't want to end up like him, probably works in a factory and done nothing with his life'.:shocked::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Happy days.:laugh:

Cheers Tony:wink:

When I first came over to England to do teacher training about 13 years ago from Northern Ireland I had the same reaction, and still do at times. I found myself having to slow the way I speak to about half speed which sounded to me like I was talking to someone of a very low mental capability. Also local dialects an nuances have often caused much confusion. "get me that yoke there" easily understood in N. Ireland but not it seems in Manchester: -)

A yoke is the same as a "goosegog" or "joey" in lpool isnt it? i.e its anything you cba putting a word to?

Archived