Casual Racism?

christopher

Felt like I should be using the tradesmans entrance. I'm sure you know what I mean.

At least here everyone knows I'm English as soon as I speak (can't lose the accent altogether) but that's as far as it goes. People don't make you feel like a lower class.

Never felt like people thought I was lower class in England, but then I worked in Yorkshire not London.

Also on the second point, I've had far more people ask me what part of Ireland I'm from rather than what part of England I'm from.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've found "accentism", as it were, common in the UK but have not experienced it here.

I am from the West Country but for reasons unknown, have never picked up my local accent and am the only member of my family to speak with what my friends call a BBC accent. My accent has always been a talking point: in my home city people would ask me where I am from and would never believe me when I told them that not only was I from the same area they were from but had lived there most of my life! When talking to people from other parts of the UK they are surprised to find out where I am from so the phrase "But you don't have the accent!" was common to my life in the UK.

But I've only ever had it mocked when I was at senior school and that was thanks to one particularly class mate who remembered me from when we lived in the same street as little kids and was sure that I was faking a posh accent. I last saw him a few years ago and he still thought I was putting a posh accent on!

I have friends and acquaintances from all over and we all try to copy one anothers accents here and there and I don't think any of us are particularly good at it but we make ourselves laugh in the trying. I hope that this is all it is in your case, Christopher, but if it isn't I hope things change for the better and soon. :hug:

On the upside my accent had me down as "working class" in the UK which really held me back in some circles. I find out here that they know I'm English but my accent doesn't pigeon hole me like it did in the UK. I worked in IT in London for a while and had some people who made it quite plain that they felt they were lowering themselves to just speak to me, even on social functions. Felt like I should be using the tradesmans entrance. I'm sure you know what I mean.

At least here everyone knows I'm English as soon as I speak (can't lose the accent altogether) but that's as far as it goes. People don't make you feel like a lower class.

Some people talk that way to people from the IT department no matter where they are from or what position they hold in the company but I do know what you are getting at. Certain sorts seem to think they are better than West Country folk too and that sort of attitude is one thing that I haven't missed one bit. I'll never understand why people judge others on their accent.

Never felt like people thought I was lower class in England, but then I worked in Yorkshire not London.

Also on the second point, I've had far more people ask me what part of Ireland I'm from rather than what part of England I'm from.

Yes i never noticed any of that until I went to uni and met some people there who were pretty amazed that someone with my accent could be accepted into uni. Fine whilst working and living in the North of England too.

This is quite possibly true, I am starting to have some irrational dislikes of things just because I don't like the place.

However I still think repeating something that someone has just said to you in a mocking funny accent type way, when you don't know the person is just plain rude, whichever country you live in.

Political correctness (which I don't believe this is, its just common decency) or whatever you want to call isn't always a bad thing.

I agree with you that it's rude but what I'm saying is that it probably wouldn't bother you as much if you loved the place....

Guest Shane&Lynn
A yoke is the same as a "goosegog" or "joey" in lpool isnt it? i.e its anything you cba putting a word to?

hi Pablo,

Not sure about goosegg or joey. asked my missus who's originaly from aigburth but movd up to Manchester at 18, but she didn't know either word. Yes a "yoke" is the same thing. ie that which you can't put the correct name to.

I don't like the thick Manc or scouse accent but the scouse sense of humour and piss taking is thee best ever. So we should fit right in :biglaugh:

Guest Nathnanth

This is quite an interesting subject, I'm not a major fan of political correctness, however I am quite apprehensive about the aussie relax approach to "racial idioms"!

I'm black and both my children are mixed race, I just wondered whether it would be something they'd get teased for at school?

I totally understand that most racial terms are usually used in jest and not neccessarily meant derrogatively, however I do wonder .....! (I grew up in up in post apartheid Cape Town)

I did question a few aussie mates about the "race issue" and was told that I was likely to get ribbed about my "pommy" accent than about being black/mixed.

I wondered what everyone else thought?

This is quite an interesting subject, I'm not a major fan of political correctness, however I am quite apprehensive about the aussie relax approach to "racial idioms"!

I'm black and both my children are mixed race, I just wondered whether it would be something they'd get teased for at school?

I totally understand that most racial terms are usually used in jest and not neccessarily meant derrogatively, however I do wonder .....! (I grew up in up in post apartheid Cape Town)

I did question a few aussie mates about the "race issue" and was told that I was likely to get ribbed about my "pommy" accent than about being black/mixed.

I think it would depend on how you introduced yourself! Hi my names Bob and I'm from England or Hi my names Bob and I'm from Cape town!?

You wont be a black POM just a POM! If you are worried just move over when the ashes is on, that way people will take great delight in taking the piss out of where you come from rather than the colour of your skin.

As for your kids???? That's a tough one, I guess that comes down to where you move too and the age of your kids

You don't say where you plan to settle but there would be areas in Australia - particularly in Sydney and Melbourne - where they would be in the minority if they were of 100% white Caucasian descent!

There has been such an influx of migrants from all cultures over the last few decades that I doubt they will be a rarity wherever you settle.

I think they are right. You will get more hassle about your "pommy" accent. I'm sure your kids will be fine, they won't even have the pommy accent to contend with.

Well im from lpool,i have a fairly strong accent i suppose,i dont think the circumstances you describe are peculiar to just australia.

We've had people taking the p7ss/imitating our accent for donkeys years,water off a ducks tbh,the only annoying thing is they sound like brummies when they do it!!!

Most of the australians we met thought we were scots or irish tbh,they didnt think we were from england,we got asked to repeat certain words because (A) they didnt understand,and (B) because they also seemed to find the pronunciation amusing.

It didnt/doesnt bother me,i work in a job that is p7sstake from 8 a.m till 4p.m,so maybe im used to it?

I used to see an american girl in London for about 18 months,she had freinds from all over the world who we would drink with,if i got asked to say chicken once i must have been asked a thousand times,simply because i/we cant say it without it sounding like "chckckckn":rolleyes:,san fairy ann

AllrightderPablolid?!

Funny you say that (or said that a while ago now)...used to live in Toronto as well before Melbourne - chatting to some bird (is that PC?) in bar. She was an actress going for an audition in Blues Brothers and wanted lessons 'How to speak Scouse'. Tip One, here's how you carck it - say chi-cccckkkk-in easy. Don't why people struggle.

Other stuff, recall a few years back some POM getting very upset and trying some legal act for discrimination. Alleging, POM was bullying, derogatory etc. Suffice to say it never went anywhere, I think.

I'm scouse (or Woolyback to you, from over de water) and always get Irish. Just say 'Irelands second capital' and up pops lively discussion around emigration and geo-political trends.

Would agree the habit is challenging BUT really have get over it like. If not, move on / home. Everyone's got their points - mine was Asian culture. Lived in Singapore and locals starring at you and poor etiquette (eg. not moving out the way and you get off train, lift...) drove me insane. Much happier out of there.

On the plus side, look at the positives - we have drive-through bottle shops! Surely that's the zenith of civilisation?

Pablo - you still work & live in Mellers mate....?

Tragic Red meself so good to know some bretheren are in the area.

The Aussies do come across as racist. We have coloured friends in Brisbane and they are constantly shouted at from passing cars, things like black b*******. Their kids get stick at school and they have recently purchased a rental but dare not let the tenents see them incase they trash the place!!! God knows why they stay?

I worked in a car showroom in the Bayside area and was openly told by the manager that this is a good area because it is mainly a white supremacy area!!!

My daughter got the ' get back to your own country, we don't like immigrants here' at school, and we are white British!!!

Thank god we returned to England.

My daughter got the ' get back to your own country, we don't like immigrants here' at school,

My eldest got that too, but it wasn't just aimed at her, it was for all those who'd come from interstate as well. A group of none too bright girls at school shouting that 'We hate all the girls who've come from overseas and interstate and they should just **** of back to their own place' This was at one of Sydney's self touted "premier" schools. The parents seemed to hold similar views and the teachers wouldn't believe it was happening. Just goes to show that you can't buy class!

Having laws does not stamp out racism though it just goes underground and it does not stop the schoolyard stuff. Schools have always been a jungle, fat kids, spotty kids, race, any type of difference is fair game for the local bullying types.

What is the answer, inter marriage, blending and we will all be the same.

Its amazing that people say they are not racist until one of their children brings home someone from another race, so how would you handle it. This is not just from the white perspective, an indian lady I worked with told me that she did not want her sons or daughters marrying an Aus. You see we are all tribal and some people just take it a little too far.

I had a couple of Indian friends when I went to Uni in Birmingham. My car wouldn't start when leaving Uni one night and I had to get back to Derbyshire. One of my Indian friends said not to worry about it, jump on the bus and he would get it going and take it back to his house for the weekend.

Got back to Uni on Sunday night and gave him a ring. He said to go round the house and fetch it. When I got to the house he came to the door and made it pretty plain he didn't want me in or let anyone see who he was talking to. He also told me it was a dodgy area (i think it was Lozells) and to lock the doors and if anyone approached if I stopped at lights to drive off.

He later let me know that his parents and family didn't know he had white friends and he didn't want them to know either or he would have been in trouble.

Racism goes both ways. There was actually more trouble between the Indain, pakistani and Black communities than there was between whites and others. Although it wasn't safe for white people to be hanging around "their" areas, as my friend kindly pointed out.

agree with petals no more pc in this country please . 20 years on i am still called pommie but then most of my friends and aquaintences have nicknames and the mick taken of thier accent. wheter it be Uk based , kiwi , american - its the aussie way and without being rude the more precious you are about the more you will get it. You see becasue of the Political correctness people wont overtly take the mick if you have coloured skin but white you are fair game ! yes a double standard but hey somtehing has to compensate for living in Gods Country lol

Guest guest30038
I don't think it's political correctness. It just shows an ignorance, taking the mickey out of someone's accent, particularly when it goes on day after day. Just a bit boring and unintelligent.

Here we go again. So we measure someone's intelligence by the fact that they comment on your accent? :rolleyes:

kev

Here we go again. So we measure someone's intelligence by the fact that they comment on your accent? :rolleyes:

kev

No. Commenting is fine. It's just gets very boring when it goes on and on and does come across as a bit unintelligent; as if there's nothing about a person except the way they speak.

Perhaps 'smallminded' is a better description.

Guest guest30038
No. Commenting is fine. It's just gets very boring when it goes on and on and does come across as a bit unintelligent; as if there's nothing about a person except the way they speak.

Perhaps 'smallminded' is a better description.

As if there's nothing about a person except the fact that they take the mickey out of your accent ?

One act can bring judgement such as unintelligent, small minded etc?

I get it all the time. It doesn't bother me in the least, and I certainly don't past judgement on the "whole" person because of one act.

kev

I've lived in lots of places where people have quite strong accents and I've never judged them by the way they speak, neither do I feel the need to take the mickey out of them.

The only time it was a bit of a problem was when we first moved to Newcastle and I couldn't take bood results over the phone because I couldn't understand a word they were saying and someone else had to take them for two or three months until I'd got used to hearing the accent!

I'm glad it doesn't bother you, but some people do find it boring day after day.

Guest littlesarah

Teeheehee...

I'm from the West Midlands originally - where we talk fast, & the dialect changes every 3 or 4 miles! However 10 years in Norfolk, 7 of them living with an Aussie, totally mangled my accent. So now I get Aussies, Poms, everyone trying to figure out where I'm from! I love it! The only people who pick it straight off are other West Midlanders.

For the most part, I think Aussies are fascinated by the many different accents from the tiny land mass that is the UK. If someone wants to hear me say a word again, I take it as a compliment! On the third time, I'll go with a crap Aussie accent.

I've not had shop assistants do that though - I'd be really, really patronising if they started taking the piss out of me. Just for my own amusement...

You will notice the question mark at the end of the thread title as I'm not sure if this is the correct term for what I'm experiencing or not. Anyway, I come from the North of England and I have quite a strong Yorkshire accent, now what I'm finding interesting (I say interesting, I mean down right rude!) is that I will be having a conversation with people (Australians that is) and they will often repeat words I have just said in an 'amusing' copy of my my accent and then laugh, now I can take a joke and can laugh at myself and my accent but, this is happening quite often and with all sorts of people, work colleagues(even the boss), clients,shop assistants, bank tellers. Is this casual racism? whatever it's getting a little tiresome to be honest, and it's something that I wouldn't dream of doing to someone else just because they had a 'funny' accent. Has anyone else come across this kind of behavior?

Im from Northern Ireland and get a lot as well, people at work will get used to you and dont mean any harm. My wife gets it from her manager, she finds some of the words hilarious and goes home and repeats them to her husband.

Being from NI I get a bit of stick about the paramilitaries, I once got asked if I had blown up any houses today. I quickly replied with no but better check you letter box when you get home. Soon put a stop to that. But there are very few boundaries or political correctness (a football coach can call an opposition player a rapist and get away with it, in England he would never work again).

Coming from NI where you had to be careful what you said to everyone its a breath of fresh air for me. I dont go around making fun of people but I could get into a light harted debate with my pakistani work mate at the time about who was the biggest terrorist in front of the HR manager and my manager! Wouldn't happen in the UK.

I remember we had a Australian girl working with us in NI and we done the same with her repeating her words and sayings and telling her to go have a surf when she got stressed! I hope we can keep these things are they are. I spent to long in a hostile environment were everything was taking seriously.

Guest guest30038
I spent to long in a hostile environment were everything was taking seriously.

That's just it Danny. There's no hostility to it, unless someone takes umbrance and considers it rude...........that's when it appears hostile and it's the recipient only, who is to blame for the hostility, IMHO.

kev

Archived