Casual Racism?

christopher

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ah yes I see what you have done there, you took 2 separate comments and joined them together.

Let's get this straight - I didn't take any 2 separate comments and join them together.

Your statement was:

"I must admit I don't personally know any Aussies that are actively researching their heritage but I'm sure some are. I put the attitude down to insecurity, they want to be a major player in the world and are forever trying to get one over bigger more 'important' countries"

I accept the first statement but the following reasoning is quite bizarre.

LOL.

Perhaps that explains why the USA, the UK's other main "offspring," has gone out and created a seriously successful country and Aus has, by comparison, failed to thrive.

I'm sure there'd be some historians and economists who'd love to debate that with you at the moment.

Guest guest32776

From an audience with Al Murray the pub landlord...

'is anyone in the audience from Australia?'

(girl raises hand)

'welcome home lav' you've done yer time'

A stereotype yet amusing...

Guest guest32776
I'm sure there'd be some historians and economists who'd love to debate that with you at the moment.

It's hard to go wrong when a country's wealth is based on rock under the ground ( unless there is a shortage of dumper truck drivers or high viz shirts)

Guest guest30038
LOL.

Perhaps that explains why the USA, the UK's other main "offspring," has gone out and created a seriously successful country and Aus has, by comparison, failed to thrive.

Nah, the real reason is that the yankee colonials dumped all our tea in boston harbour and turned to coffee but the idiot Aussies stuck to drinking tea..............tannin can have serious consequences in large doses...............as shown by their propensity to go shoeless and wear their jim jams to Coles :goofy: :biglaugh:

kev

Guest burgledad
Nah, the real reason is that the yankee colonials dumped all our tea in boston harbour and turned to coffee but the idiot Aussies stuck to drinking tea..............tannin can have serious consequences in large doses...............as shown by their propensity to go shoeless and wear their jim jams to Coles :goofy: :biglaugh:

kev

Ever shopped at WalMart in the USA?

Funny Pictures at WalMart Top Rated

Think again.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
LMAO! :biglaugh:

2292.jpg

You are a sick man kev, what are you doing laying on the floor and taking a upskirt shot of this poor woman.................. have you anymore pics, e-mail me them if you have.

Guest guest30038
You are a sick man kev, what are you doing laying on the floor and taking a upskirt shot of this poor woman.................. have you anymore pics, e-mail me them if you have.

I slipped whilst I was testing a digital camera Jim. Got a shot of you whilst I was at it :biglaugh:

2210.jpg

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I slipped whilst I was testing a digital camera Jim. Got a shot of you whilst I was at it :biglaugh:

2210.jpg

Its all the rage wearing your pants down like this at one time it was just the black guys, but now its all the young guys, we used to laugh at em years ago, but then again ALL us whiteys in the UK are racist, don't you know.

Guest chris955

So you chose not to read Post 246 ? Fair enough.

Let's get this straight - I didn't take any 2 separate comments and join them together.

Your statement was:

"I must admit I don't personally know any Aussies that are actively researching their heritage but I'm sure some are. I put the attitude down to insecurity, they want to be a major player in the world and are forever trying to get one over bigger more 'important' countries"

I accept the first statement but the following reasoning is quite bizarre.

Guest guest32776

Looks like one of Townsville's local lovelies.....If you like them big Stockland has the babes for you!!

You will notice the question mark at the end of the thread title as I'm not sure if this is the correct term for what I'm experiencing or not. Anyway, I come from the North of England and I have quite a strong Yorkshire accent, now what I'm finding interesting (I say interesting, I mean down right rude!) is that I will be having a conversation with people (Australians that is) and they will often repeat words I have just said in an 'amusing' copy of my my accent and then laugh, now I can take a joke and can laugh at myself and my accent but, this is happening quite often and with all sorts of people, work colleagues(even the boss), clients,shop assistants, bank tellers. Is this casual racism? whatever it's getting a little tiresome to be honest, and it's something that I wouldn't dream of doing to someone else just because they had a 'funny' accent. Has anyone else come across this kind of behavior?

Wow, I can't believe the length of this thread. I haven't the opportunity nor the patience to read all the responses.

Christopher, I am an aussie. I think what you are mistaking is people are in awe of your exotic-ness. Look how popular 'Parkie' is down here, do you reckon it's because he is a good entertainer? It's because he's exotic with that accent.

Anyway right now all you have to say in response to anything you're not sure of right now is something like "How you going in the cricket?" :wink:

The Yorkshire accent is a wonderful one indeed and many would just love to try it. I am sure you are being a little oversensitive and misunderstanding people's intentions.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Some people aren't happy where ever they are living and want to pick fault with things, me i am a really positive person, who thinks the uk is a great place to live if you are lucky to have great jobs, like we have and i think Australia will be even better. There........ half glass full................. permanently

How about this, not casual racism, overt racism and in big letters in Sydneys biggest paper, not tongue in cheek either. My wife coped it years ago when the bodyline program was shown, she got the blame for it. (google it for detail)

Giles Coren's shower of spite from a land where bathing is optional | The Daily Telegraph

note the headline 'the land where bathing is optional' this is still the prevelent attitide in Australia. I could counter every issue in this article but what it ultimately points to is that Austalians are the worlds most agressive and worst losers. end of.

Guest Guest31881

This article is in response to another article attacking Australia, you can see the post in question here

An ode to the end of Aussie macho | The Daily Telegraph

Now this was posted on PIO yesterday as a funny item, perhaps because it attacked Australia, now I see the reply is classed a racist because it attacks UK.Just wondering what the difference is, when is it funny and when is it racist.

I am not sure why I am responding to the post by Steve99 except to say I find your attitude aggressive and discriminatory.

I am proudly Australian though I was born here whilst my family were passing through, and I have spent some years living overseas. However when growing up in Sydney I was called many things, and even in recent years referred to regularly by someone as peter-the-wog. I am incidently of northern European/English extraction. You see it is my name that gives me away. Being Australian I do not see this as an insult nor a barb to my heritage. What is Australia after all but a bunch of people from many different countries most of whom arrived here in the past 100 years, but many of English decent. What makes us Australian is our ability to embrace a wonderful culture we all have a part in.

To say we are racist is to imply we have common heritage which we do not. I would suggest you just have an overtly heightened sense of being English.

Australian cricket have just taken a thrashing by the English cricket side. I have heard nothing but good reports in the media about the superior preparation of the English team, no mention of bad luck, or "we wuz robbed", nor words of retribution at the next test. There has been no sour grapes and nothing but admiration of a far superior side. Hardly poor losers. You could learn from that.

I do not see you ever embracing our culture, I think steve99 that you are just a bit too English. :wink:

This article is in response to another article attacking Australia, you can see the post in question here

Now this was posted on PIO yesterday as a funny item, perhaps because it attacked Australia, now I see the reply is classed a racist because it attacks UK.Just wondering what the difference is, when is it funny and when is it racist.

Thankyou for showing the link between the two posts, Colin: it was something I had missed.

The difference? It's something I've suspected for a while but this has confirmed it - when it's Poms slanging Australia it's funny, when it's Aussies slanging the Poms it's racist.

How about this, not casual racism, overt racism and in big letters in Sydneys biggest paper, not tongue in cheek either. My wife coped it years ago when the bodyline program was shown, she got the blame for it. (google it for detail)

Giles Coren's shower of spite from a land where bathing is optional | The Daily Telegraph

note the headline 'the land where bathing is optional' this is still the prevelent attitide in Australia. I could counter every issue in this article but what it ultimately points to is that Austalians are the worlds most agressive and worst losers. end of.

I think it is a ****ty response to a terrible article...shows both countries have idiots...either country claiming moral superiority is ridiculous IMO. Most people keep it fun....the ones that don't in both countries are the dumb ones. :wink: We should just feel sorry for Giles and Ben rather than adding ourselves to the list of fools.

Guest guest12791

Well i have problems where i work at Jimmys hospital in leeds because i have a Barnsley Accent (born and bred barnsley lass) they always say pardon and i get sick of repeating myself!!! When we were in Brisbane i continually got told i had a lovely scottish accent and i guess that was an improvement for me. I also got a lovely lady saying i was a lovely pommie nurse but it was said in a nice way so i was ok with it. Also a guy who made fun of everyone and everything kept callin me pom and asked me if i knew what pom stood for, i quickly answered Punch On Mouth and he laughed so much he cried!! funny he called me annemarie every time after that, best advice ive ever been given is to give as much as you get and think banter happens all over the world. Its when the banter turns to bullying and people get upset, depressed and hurt, then action has to be taken life is too short

Annemarie

Guest guest32776

The first article is very close to the edge but is funny- it would be hard not to find some of the analogies amusing - eg, jaws like a shopping trolley. The response is badly written technically, not amusing, sad and bitter. Nothing to do with a 'racist' issue- just the ability to write well and make readers smile...

The first article is very close to the edge but is funny... Nothing to do with a 'racist' issue- just the ability to write well and make readers smile...

There are 2 things funny about it:

(1) the sheer ignorance, demonstrated supremely by his comment " "blackfellas" - as they once so charmingly called Aborigines".

Sorry mate, but "blackfellas" is what aborigines chose to call themselves, and those of my acquaintance still proudly do

(2) the stereotyping, and pre 1980s stereotyping at that.

He's obviously found a cosy corner in his colonial Empire time warp so may he R.I.P.

Guest guest32776
There are 2 things funny about it:

(1) the sheer ignorance, demonstrated supremely by his comment " "blackfellas" - as they once so charmingly called Aborigines".

Sorry mate, but "blackfellas" is what aborigines chose to call themselves, and those of my acquaintance still proudly do

(2) the stereotyping, and pre 1980s stereotyping at that.

He's obviously found a cosy corner in his colonial Empire time warp so may he R.I.P.

Each to their own. My husband and I had quite a snigger reading it out. Regarding 'blackfellas' is the author so wrong? The word is surely pidgin derived from the original white Australians calling them 'black fellows' ?

Archived