Onshore Partner Visa Application time frame

Guest skiingbadger

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest RobynAtPresentInLondon
Hi,

Not sure if this is the place for posting timelines for onshore partner visa applications but here goes:

20/10/2010 - Visa submitted by hand to Sydney CBD office.

21/10/2010 - Email received with bridging visa

22/10/2010 - Email recieved saying 820 Granted!

Two days whoo!! :biggrin:

Simon

What visa were you/partner on before?

Guest tierneyballs
Hi,

Not sure if this is the place for posting timelines for onshore partner visa applications but here goes:

20/10/2010 - Visa submitted by hand to Sydney CBD office.

21/10/2010 - Email received with bridging visa

22/10/2010 - Email recieved saying 820 Granted!

Two days whoo!! :biggrin:

Simon

To be honest, I think this is pretty unfair on those of us who applied back in June/July and are still waiting for a case officer to be assigned. Immigration should either put everyone in the same queue, or else be granting all the 820 visas as soon as all the information has been received. I don't think it's fair that it's one rule for some people, and a different rules for others. I'm meant to be going home for Christmas, and the way things are going it doesn't look liike I'll even have received a case officer by then, despite handing in my application in to the Sydney CBD office at the beginning of July. This will obviously cause problems as you're not allowed to travel on a Bridging Visa A, etc.

However, this is a problem that I have with Immigration, not those of us who are patiently waiting, so a hearty congratulations to you Simon :)

That's great news Simon, genuiinely happy you don't have to wait like alot of us but this really p's me off. I applied in June, fully front loaded, in person, in Melbourne, still no case officer, no contact at all, I am going to have to pay them to apply to go home for Christmas, i am probably going to have to leave my job...it is so very frustrating

Guest tierneyballs

I sent an email through asking whether I had been assigned a case officer, as at the time that I applied I was told I would be assigned one within three months, which is now up. This is the reponse that I received :

The time taken for Partner visa applications to be processed and for a decision to be made varies. Our average processing time for a Partner visa is currently 6 to 9 months, however this should be treated as a guide only. When applications are more complex, or where relevant documents are not provided in a timely manner, applications may take longer to finalise. In order to ensure a fair and equitable outcome for all our clients we now process applications in chronological order, that is, in the order in which they are received. Your Application was lodged on 15/07/2010. When applications lodged on this date are allocated for processing, you will be notified of any further requirements or of a decision by the case officer who will be assigned to process your application.

If there are particular circumstances of a compelling and compassionate nature which you consider warrant the finalisation of your application ahead of others in the queue, please bring these to our attention, and we will consider the need to bring the processing of your application forward.

NSW Family Residence

DIAC Sydney CBD Office

This is obviously not true, which makes it all the more frustrating.

Honest to god I would love to know how they organise things in immigration. How can they even try and claim they process visas in chronological order? I really believe that all our claims are sitting in a room somewhere and some lazy-arse case officer may or may not pick it up. They may or may not open it and they may or may not chuck it back in the pile or replace it with one with a nicer cover or one their mate the migration agent sent them in return for a beer.

Seriously all they need to do with my claim is open and stamp granted on it. It’s that easy! It has EVERYTHING in there. How can it take 9 months to do this ?? 9 months !! How ? How ?How ?

I’ve been married for 5 years. 5 years! Do they really think five years ago I started planning how to gain access in to their country by foul means??

Again this is no reflection on you Simon you’re a lucky b***ard !

Hi everyone,

Congrats to SimonK, I am very envious of your timeline!

I submitted my application by express post on 7th October to the Sydney office and my BVA was granted on 12th October, the day before my WHV expired, phew!

I agree that it seems crazy that the partner visa processing takes so long but if that's the way it is, I can wait my turn. What I simply cannot get my head around is the No Travel restriction on the BVA. I just cannot understand why you are not permitted to visit family/friends overseas or even just go on a foreign holiday, all because you applied for a visa! It feels like I am being punished for something!!

I've just got used to the fact I won't be able to go to Europe for the festive season this year, but one of my closest friends is getting married in June 2011 and I cannot accept that the DIAC may not allow me to go (and return of course), I so hope they grant me a BVB, or even better my visa!

Rant over! Does anyone know how far in advance you can apply for a BVB? Is it feasible to apply for one now to travel next June and be able to book my tickets safe in the knowledge I will definitely be able to travel?

LucL, my employer mentioned that they could apply for an extension to the 6 months work limitation when/if the time came, could be worth looking into....?

Good luck everyone.

Guest aussie06

LucL, my employer mentioned that they could apply for an extension to the 6 months work limitation when/if the time came, could be worth looking into....?

Hi Cappuccino,

thanks for this precision!

do you have some more info on this as I was not aware the company could do it? were you in this case too? or have you found any legal workaround?

any answer on this would help me as this is my biggest worry actually as when we applied for a WHV we knew this limitation, but WHV was the only option to be reactive on the job proposition that was made to us as we could not wait offshore for accepting the job proposal...

Hi aussie06,

I'm sorry but I don't know any more about this - my boss just mentioned that the employer could apply for an extension, but not how to go about it.

I've worked for my employer for the last 3 months of my WHV, and now I understand I have another 6 months on my Bridging Visa A so I might need an extension or a new job in a few months time...

Hope it all works out for you.

My work sponsored me for a 457 visa to tide me over until I can apply for the partner visa, application went in 4 weeks before my 6months was up on the WHV. Didn't become an issue because the visa was granted a week later, but the agent said they could get an extension to the work restriction if necessary.

Sorry I don't know how to apply for it, but it is definitely possible...

Guest nicola c
Hi aussie06,

I'm sorry but I don't know any more about this - my boss just mentioned that the employer could apply for an extension, but not how to go about it.

I've worked for my employer for the last 3 months of my WHV, and now I understand I have another 6 months on my Bridging Visa A so I might need an extension or a new job in a few months time...

Hope it all works out for you.

bva should last untill a decision has been made regarding the visa you have applied for, you can travel on this visa but need to fill in a form and explain your exceptional circumstances to them.

i applied for an extension to the 6 month work rule on my whv as i was waiting to hear about my partner visa and phoned a week after i'd sent the extension request in and was informed my partner visa had been granted! i dont know whether me sending in the extension request made them have a look at my visa application, but it was coincidental. if you are applying for the whv extension its all pretty simple, just a form and your employers details.

Hello,

I just looked on the Vevo page on the immi website and I have been granted my 820. I am over the moon as it's been about 4 months since we applied and I hadn't heard from my case officer.

Infact Tiernyballs, I got a very similar response to you by email from Melbourne telling me basically to sit tight and expect it to take 6-9 months. I hope your case is coming along now as I think you applied around the same time I did.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread as it's helped me feel that I am not alone and given me plenty to read during the wait.

To those who are still waiting - Good Luck!

Clare

bva should last untill a decision has been made regarding the visa you have applied for, you can travel on this visa but need to fill in a form and explain your exceptional circumstances to them.

i applied for an extension to the 6 month work rule on my whv as i was waiting to hear about my partner visa and phoned a week after i'd sent the extension request in and was informed my partner visa had been granted! i dont know whether me sending in the extension request made them have a look at my visa application, but it was coincidental. if you are applying for the whv extension its all pretty simple, just a form and your employers details.

Nicola - I am on a WHV at the moment and applied for an 820 spouse (de facto) on 22nd September. I applied last week for an extension to the 6 month work rule while I wait to hear about the partner visa. How long had you had your visa application in before it was approved?

Thanks!

Morgan

Guest aussie06
Nicola - I am on a WHV at the moment and applied for an 820 spouse (de facto) on 22nd September. I applied last week for an extension to the 6 month work rule while I wait to hear about the partner visa. How long had you had your visa application in before it was approved?

Thanks!

Morgan

hello Morgan,

when will you reach the 6 months period with your current employer?

please also let us know when this extension will be approved for you.

hello Morgan,

when will you reach the 6 months period with your current employer?

please also let us know when this extension will be approved for you.

I will reach the 6 months with my current employer on Christmas!

I hope to hear about the extension next week sometime, fingers crossed!

Guest aussie06
I will reach the 6 months with my current employer on Christmas!

I hope to hear about the extension next week sometime, fingers crossed!

I am sure you ll have the answer before that date, and hopefully it will be positive :-)

and when is your WHV ending (i.e. how long after your arrival in WHV have you applied for the defacto ;-) )

I am sure you ll have the answer before that date, and hopefully it will be positive :-)

and when is your WHV ending (i.e. how long after your arrival in WHV have you applied for the defacto ;-) )

My WHV is up in June, so fingers crossed they make a decision before then! We applied for the defacto 3 months after I arrived here. It took just about that long to get everything together and sort out the medical and the police check!!

My main focus at the moment is finding out whether I can stay in my job until they do make a decision on my visa! My letter said to expect a 6 - 8 month wait for a decision!!

Guest tierneyballs
Hello,

I just looked on the Vevo page on the immi website and I have been granted my 820. I am over the moon as it's been about 4 months since we applied and I hadn't heard from my case officer.

Infact Tiernyballs, I got a very similar response to you by email from Melbourne telling me basically to sit tight and expect it to take 6-9 months. I hope your case is coming along now as I think you applied around the same time I did.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread as it's helped me feel that I am not alone and given me plenty to read during the wait.

To those who are still waiting - Good Luck!

Clare

Clare, that's great news! Congratulations, you must be delighted.

I think I applied about two weeks after you did, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed that I also get some good news in a fortnight or so... :smile:

It seems like the offshore de facto visas are currently being approved after about four months, so hopefully it's the same with the onshore ones.

Guest aussie06
My WHV is up in June, so fingers crossed they make a decision before then! We applied for the defacto 3 months after I arrived here. It took just about that long to get everything together and sort out the medical and the police check!!

My main focus at the moment is finding out whether I can stay in my job until they do make a decision on my visa! My letter said to expect a 6 - 8 month wait for a decision!!

Great Morgan! We will be exactly in the same situation as yours in a few weeks , so let's finger cross for your application (and others PIOs to ;-) ) and we are waiting for your feedback the soonest ...

Have a good day, all

Guest svanicek

Just wanted to update you that my visa was granted today!!!

Applied on 16th September, so it took exactly 7 weeks.

I'm not sure why it was so fast for me, but I guess the advice I can give is to try to arrange your application in a way that would make it easier for your CO to read. I wrote a cover letter for the application and a certified letter for each section to explain how all the evidence linked together.

Good luck to the rest of you and I hope you all get your visas soon.

Our visa was granted on November 1st - so just over four months! We'll be getting married on Jan 21 next year :wink:

Great News! We waited just over 4 months too and it came through 1st November. Congratulations and Good Luck with the wedding plans.

Rexi

Archived