Onshore Partner Visa Application time frame

Guest skiingbadger

Guest neiljbm

OOps that link doesn't work

Stat Decs are easily obtained Google "Statutory declaration commonwealth Australia". PDF and Word formats are available

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Antphoto
Hi raptoruts,

To be honest I have no idea when your visa would be granted because it depends on DIAC (Department of Immigration and Citizenship) workload, your individual circumstances and the state of your application.

When you submit your application (I handed mine in to ensure it didn't get lost) the immigration department will issue you with a Bridging 'A' visa that activates should your WHV expire before they approve your partner visa..... you'll be able to remain in the country with the same restrictions and allowances as your WHV, but with the difference that you can't leave Australia without permission. If you wish to leave OZ (and then come back) you have to apply and pay for a Bridging visa B which can be granted for a maximum of 3 months in 12 and with a valid reason (Our friend stated visiting family as a reason and was approved - they apparently get a bit twitchy if you ask for multiple 'B' visas).

There are lots of points and tips that I came across during the six months it took us to pull the application together.

1) I think that the most important point is to make sure you apply for the right visa and that your are eligible for the visa (A friend of a friend recently applied for the 820 defacto visa but are gay and hadn't lived together for 12 months to it was denied - A friend had told them it was fine so they applied but he was wrong!).

2) Another important point as I read elsewhere that you're Italian is that you'll need two Police Check certificates from Italy (apparently a lot of Italians miss this - including another friend of ours) You'll need a Certificato Generale del Casellario Giudiziale and Certificato dei Carichi Pendenti della Procura. Take a look at the PDF on the DIAC website for more information. This is the last link I have: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/character-requirements/character-penal.pdf

3) Again, because you are Italian you'll need documents you're submitting in Italian translated by a registered translator here in Australia - again details on the DIAC website.

4) If you know someone who's been through the same visa process it'd be a good idea to get them to check over the application and give you tips.

5) Make sure you submit enough evidence to prove your relationship is genuine to the person reviewing your application - remember that they haven't met you and they get a lot of applications. Submit everything you have that supports your relationship: joint bank account statements showing use, joint utility bills, photographs, a sample of emails to each other if any, telephone bills, rental agreements,

6) Although the application checklist asks for 2 statutory declarations from supporting witnesses, our migration advisor told us to get 5, It's good for them to be Aussies too. it's good also to have your supporting photographs to include your witnesses with the two of you.

7) In addition to stat decs from others it's a good idea to submit other items sent from your friends/family to the both of you, Christmas cards, wedding cards, party invitations....

8) If you have travelled together then submit copies of travel tickets, pictures of the two of you there with a landmark in the background or something. mention your travels in your personal statutory declarations.

9) Just to tie off the photographs subject as I have mentioned it a couple of times, we submitted about 10 - both showing the two of us in foreign countries and also of us with our stat dec witnesses. To submit the photos in a tidy format we scanned them and printed them onto a statutory declaration that contained, who was in the photo, when and where it was taken etc. I have attached the file for you.

10) Our migration advisor told us that the applicants and sponsors personal stat decs are very important. We were told to write them chronologically starting when and how we met and then onto how the relationship developed. We were told to write them separately at first to ensure that our stat decs didn't sound copied. If you can also include holidays together in your stat dec and it's also good to mention your witnesses (providing the 888 stat decs) too if you all went to an event together or something. As a guide we were told not to write a book here but to be as detailed as possible - I know this isn't helpful really... mine was about 2,500 words in length.

11) Although apparently you don't have to, I submitted my application with my medicals - they cost about $350. If you dont submit them then DIAC ask for them later I think.

12) Everything you submit should be a copy with the exception of the application forms themselves, the medicals and your police checks which should be the originals. Read the section of the DIAC website about getting copies authenticated by a justice of the peace.

13) Lastly, we were told to include a detailed table of contents and to section our application as follows:

Cover Letter

Table of Contents

Applicant evidence and forms inc stat dec

Sponsor evidence and forms in stat dec

Joint evidence

Statutory Declarations from supporting witnesses

Photographs

were were also advised to hole punch everything and to put it into a folder with fasteners for easy reading - I have attached a picture of what I mean.

In your cover letter just state who you are, what you are applying for and some contact numbers and email if they wish to get in contact with you.

I hope this helps - sorry it's so long! :biggrin:

Simon

Simon,

I would like to say thank you for all the information you supplied - it has been of tremendous help to us. One thing now for us to get answered. We got together in May 2010 in UK (had known of each other for 3 years but weren't together), moved in together at my mother's house in August 2010 after getting engaged. We are now married (Dec 2010) and about to submit our partner visa application. Will it be OK that we have not known each other a year as we are married? We do have the required evidence - joint bank accounts, lease, car insurance etc. Any help would be a godsend.

Thanks,

Ant

Hi everyone,

We are wanting to know if anyone knows the waiting times, or if anyone who applied for the partner visa (temp resident- married) in June has had a co assigned- or even has been approved. We are dying here waiting in limbo, its really horrible not knowing what is around the corner. We applied 28 june 2010 and havent heard anything- we called up diac and they said we havent had a co assigned yet, but current waiting times are now 9-12 months- which makes it march 28 minimum before we get approved- but we havent even had a co yet?!! if anyone has heard anything and applied the same-ish time as us, it would be most appreciated- we are onshore partner visa too.

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest brocks

Hi I posted my application for 820 on 25th January 2011, and recieved a letter of acknowlegement and payment taken on 27th January. Since then i havnt heard anthing but included in my letter it stated it can take up to 6 months depending on how much info you supply and when you get a case worker. Hope this helps.

Guest foreverwaiting

My partner and I went into the Sydney office and lodged her fully loaded application on 9 August 2010. The waiting time then was:

"6-8 months, but there is a backlog so probably more like 8-10 months".

After 3.5 months we hadn't heard from a case officer so we enquired via email. We received a response on 29 November 2010 and was told:

"Thank you for your enquiry. Your application will be allocated accordingly and we aim to process the oldest cases as a matter of priority. For further enquiry please contact the Family Residence Administration Team (F.R.A.T.) on nsw.family.residence@immi.gov.au"

It's now been 7 months and we sent a further enquiry via email on 5 March 2011. We received this response today:

"Thank you for your enquiry regarding your partner visa application, which was lodged on 09/08/2010.Your case is currently in a queue and will be assigned to a case officer in due course. Once allocated, the case officer will only contact you if further information is required or if he or she makes a decision on the case.

We are currently assessing applications lodged at the beginning of April 2010 due to large number of applications received. We are aiming to assess and finalise cases in chronological order. In addition, please be advised our counter services on Level 2, 26 Lee St Sydney has ceased from Tuesday 1 March 2011.

For application lodgement and enquiries, please go to Client Services on Ground Floor, 26 Lee St Sydney. Alternatively, you can contact us on 131 881 or partner.temporary.nsw@immi.gov.au"

So there you have it... still waiting. I'm now concerned that we will have to get the police checks and the medical check done again as they are only valid for 12 months. We got them done in June 2010.

Not happy.

Guest jaymi

i spoke with them today and they advised each month they work a month of material-This month is July 2010 being worked so work it out from there...I put mine in Nov 2010 & was advised July 2011 Earliest for a case officer

i spoke with them today and they advised each month they work a month of material-This month is July 2010 being worked so work it out from there...I put mine in Nov 2010 & was advised July 2011 Earliest for a case officer

For which processing centre?

Lodged 820/801 application in the ACTRO in Canberra 14th December 2010, Case Officer assigned and contacted me on 8th Feb 2011 requesting AFP NPC, Meds and further Evidence of relationship, posted last bits off on Monday 7th March 2011 after receiving email from CO on Friday 4th March confirming only outstanding requirement was AFP NPC. He will approve as soon as he has sighted the original AFP NPC.

Guest neiljbm

Hi All,

820/801 Submitted 27th Sept 2010 (Fully loaded so I thought),

Contacted Dept of Im January to request I be considered for 801 only as have been married over 3 years and in Oz for 5 years.

Feb 25th letter from CO requesting AFP check (cant believe I forgot to do that initially)

801 granted 7th March 2011.

Would have been exactly 5 months had I done my AFP checks at submission,

What a nice feeling it is

Keep the faith everyone, your time is coming :notworthy:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tierneyballs

Spoke with Immigration today (Sydney CBD office), and was advised that they are currently working on processing applications received in late April 2010/early May 2010. I put my application in on 15th July 2010, so guess I still have another couple of months to wait...

Guest lcmahtani

Hi everyone,

We're lodging our de facto visa on 27th August this year. Currently debating whether to do this onshore or offshore. Seems like offshore is much quicker but I am concerned about not having the bridging visa as a just in case. I've been offered a permanent job which I will be starting on September 5th on the working holiday visa and so need the visa within the six month with one employer timeframe. I've looked on here and the processing times seem to vary wildly.

No real question here: guess I just wanted to share my woes with somebody... !

Hi everyone,

We're lodging our de facto visa on 27th August this year. Currently debating whether to do this onshore or offshore. Seems like offshore is much quicker but I am concerned about not having the bridging visa as a just in case. I've been offered a permanent job which I will be starting on September 5th on the working holiday visa and so need the visa within the six month with one employer timeframe. I've looked on here and the processing times seem to vary wildly.

No real question here: guess I just wanted to share my woes with somebody... !

To answer the question you didn't know you asked... If you apply onshore, and your six months with the one employer is coming to an end, you can apply to have that restriction lifted for the remainder of your WHV and bridging visa, on the basis that you would be able to continue working full time once the visa comes through. I'm not sure exactly how to do this, I just know that it's possible.

Another alternative if you don't want to go the bridging visa route, would be to look into whether you'd be able to get an employer sponsored 457 visa to tide you over (has the advantage of being able to get in and out of the country while your partner visa is being processed)

Guest lcmahtani

Thanks so much for the advice, fingers crossed it will all work out. I think you can drive yourself with it, so looking forward to getting it all handed in. Good luck everyone.

Guys I am planning to lodge my wife's partner visa 820/201.But just read this post that they have transfered the location for the partner visa??

So as we are in Adelaide, we have to post the documents to Perth?

Hi Sammi4U,

I'm pretty sure you can still go hand in your application in person at the Adelaide office, it'll just get uploaded into the system/sent across for the Perth office to process, and your CO will be Perth based once one gets allocated. Might want to ring the immi helpline just to double check.

Thanks Rock DR.Yeah my wife would be going to Adelaide office to confirm this.So a Bridging Visa will be granted as soon as they get the documents?

I got my application letter and bridging visa on the spot when I handed in my documents at the Adelaide office. This was a couple of weeks before the latest change in processing offices, but I'm pretty sure the same applies now.

Thanks RockDr.We went to DIAC Adelaide and they told us post the documents to Perth office.We have just posted our documents to Perth office.firstly I waited for my PR for 2.7 years, lets see how long is this queue:biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

We submitted the documents to the Perth office on 30th of March and received letter of acceptance and Bridging Visa grantation letter on 3rd of April.Strangely they did not e mailed the Letter but posted it.Time period stated to be in waiting is 9 months :cry:

So another wait begins.

Archived