Onshore Partner Visa Application time frame

Guest skiingbadger

Great News! We waited just over 4 months too and it came through 1st November. Congratulations and Good Luck with the wedding plans.

Rexi

Hi rexi how did u go about getting workers rights when you entered on a visitor visa?

I have applied offshore and am in Oz in a visitor visa but have to wait till Feb till me visa will be granted...

Thanks

Thamby:biggrin:

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Melbourne Chicky

Hi Everyone, this is my first post but I hvae used PIO A LOT in compliling my VISA.

Our situation:

Me: UK Citizen came to OZ on a WHV in Dec 09.

Partner: Aus Citizen

Met in Dec, fell in love and got married in Oct 10.

We have just lodged our partner VISA in Melbourne 4th Nov fully front loaded and very organised, thanks mainly to the help here and the 'Partner Migration Booklet'

To our suprise our marriage certificate was returned to us yesterday, in the post, with no note but the envelope wa stamped from immigration. I was excited and thought by some stroke of luck they were ALREADY onto my application.. I called them today to enquire and as it turns out, they have a new system of a seperate team scanning / loading docs into a soft copy and having applications as complete as possible BEFORE you get a CO.

I aksed out of interest where they were at in terms of their backlog and she said that in the Mel office they are currently working through applications from MAY and that I should sit tight and I will hear from a CO soon.

I too have had to fill out a form to request that I can continue to work with my employer for longer than the allocated 6 months. I was told to hand this in WITH the spouse VISA and to bring it to the attention of the recipient when lodging - which I did.

I am now OVER my 6 months with no official papers to say that I can still work there but a "note" has been placed in the 'system' that I lodged the form. My company are happy enough that I am on BVA and have given me another 6 month contract until the Temp Partner VISA comes through. I am not sure if should be working there but monetarily I cannot just stop working so I am just hoping that it will all be ok?!

Anyway I just thought I would drop in with the latest from the Melbourne office, I will keep you updated! Good luck everyone.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Antphoto

Hello All,

Can you no longer apply for the partner visa in Brisbane in person? If not, does it make any difference if you apply in person at Melbourne or is the processing time the same if you send through the post?

Thanks,

Ant

I was just wondering if anyone had submitted an application recently and what timeframe they were quoted, as heard a rumor they're now saying 6-12months, and I'd really like that to not be the case as I'm applying next year... If processing times keep increasing at this rate I'll be eligible for the permanent one by the time they bother to grant the provisional one!

I was just wondering if anyone had submitted an application recently and what timeframe they were quoted, as heard a rumor they're now saying 6-12months, and I'd really like that to not be the case as I'm applying next year... If processing times keep increasing at this rate I'll be eligible for the permanent one by the time they bother to grant the provisional one!

Hi,

We were told that too but I submitted mine in November and got approval in just over 24 hours! Apparently if your application is case-ready (everything is there and valid, you have firm evidence etc) then there is a chance that your visa gets approved immediately.

A friend of ours submitted theirs last February and heared nothing at all. When I got mine so quickly, they called to chase the visa and were told that they had evidence missing - no one at the visa office told them and weren't planning to until next January which is 11 months after submission!

It seems to be partially luck and the details of your case - good luck!

Simon

Hello All,

Can you no longer apply for the partner visa in Brisbane in person? If not, does it make any difference if you apply in person at Melbourne or is the processing time the same if you send through the post?

Thanks,

Ant

Give the Brisbane office a call and ask. I handed mine in at the Sydney office 6 weeks ago, it's true that you can't get an appointment anymore to process the visa there and then but I felt better being sure that they had my application and wasn't relying on Aussie Post!

Simon

Hi,

We were told that too but I submitted mine in November and got approval in just over 24 hours! Apparently if your application is case-ready (everything is there and valid, you have firm evidence etc) then there is a chance that your visa gets approved immediately.

A friend of ours submitted theirs last February and heared nothing at all. When I got mine so quickly, they called to chase the visa and were told that they had evidence missing - no one at the visa office told them and weren't planning to until next January which is 11 months after submission!

It seems to be partially luck and the details of your case - good luck!

Simon

Can I just ask, did you submit form 80 with your application?

Guest pup3ydarren

anyone else got their application approved by Sydney office. The lady over the phone told me it could take from 6-12 months now. She insist that it is through chronological order and i just said okay. Quite sad that some ppl are waiting for some long with their life on hold.

Guest raptoruts

Hi SimonK,

I am going to get married next month and to apply for a partner visa straight away in Sydney.

I am on a WHV expiring november next year. I know it's a silly question, but do you think the visa will be granted in time before my WH expires? You had it in 24h! That's amazing! Any advice?

Thanks alot,

cheers

Hi SimonK,

I am going to get married next month and to apply for a partner visa straight away in Sydney.

I am on a WHV expiring November next year. I know it's a silly question, but do you think the visa will be granted in time before my WH expires? You had it in 24h! That's amazing! Any advice?

Thanks alot,

cheers

Hi raptoruts,

To be honest I have no idea when your visa would be granted because it depends on DIAC (Department of Immigration and Citizenship) workload, your individual circumstances and the state of your application.

When you submit your application (I handed mine in to ensure it didn't get lost) the immigration department will issue you with a Bridging 'A' visa that activates should your WHV expire before they approve your partner visa..... you'll be able to remain in the country with the same restrictions and allowances as your WHV, but with the difference that you can't leave Australia without permission. If you wish to leave OZ (and then come back) you have to apply and pay for a Bridging visa B which can be granted for a maximum of 3 months in 12 and with a valid reason (Our friend stated visiting family as a reason and was approved - they apparently get a bit twitchy if you ask for multiple 'B' visas).

There are lots of points and tips that I came across during the six months it took us to pull the application together.

1) I think that the most important point is to make sure you apply for the right visa and that your are eligible for the visa (A friend of a friend recently applied for the 820 defacto visa but are gay and hadn't lived together for 12 months to it was denied - A friend had told them it was fine so they applied but he was wrong!).

2) Another important point as I read elsewhere that you're Italian is that you'll need two Police Check certificates from Italy (apparently a lot of Italians miss this - including another friend of ours) You'll need a Certificato Generale del Casellario Giudiziale and Certificato dei Carichi Pendenti della Procura. Take a look at the PDF on the DIAC website for more information. This is the last link I have: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/character-requirements/character-penal.pdf

3) Again, because you are Italian you'll need documents you're submitting in Italian translated by a registered translator here in Australia - again details on the DIAC website.

4) If you know someone who's been through the same visa process it'd be a good idea to get them to check over the application and give you tips.

5) Make sure you submit enough evidence to prove your relationship is genuine to the person reviewing your application - remember that they haven't met you and they get a lot of applications. Submit everything you have that supports your relationship: joint bank account statements showing use, joint utility bills, photographs, a sample of emails to each other if any, telephone bills, rental agreements,

6) Although the application checklist asks for 2 statutory declarations from supporting witnesses, our migration advisor told us to get 5, It's good for them to be Aussies too. it's good also to have your supporting photographs to include your witnesses with the two of you.

7) In addition to stat decs from others it's a good idea to submit other items sent from your friends/family to the both of you, Christmas cards, wedding cards, party invitations....

8) If you have travelled together then submit copies of travel tickets, pictures of the two of you there with a landmark in the background or something. mention your travels in your personal statutory declarations.

9) Just to tie off the photographs subject as I have mentioned it a couple of times, we submitted about 10 - both showing the two of us in foreign countries and also of us with our stat dec witnesses. To submit the photos in a tidy format we scanned them and printed them onto a statutory declaration that contained, who was in the photo, when and where it was taken etc. I have attached the file for you.

10) Our migration advisor told us that the applicants and sponsors personal stat decs are very important. We were told to write them chronologically starting when and how we met and then onto how the relationship developed. We were told to write them separately at first to ensure that our stat decs didn't sound copied. If you can also include holidays together in your stat dec and it's also good to mention your witnesses (providing the 888 stat decs) too if you all went to an event together or something. As a guide we were told not to write a book here but to be as detailed as possible - I know this isn't helpful really... mine was about 2,500 words in length.

11) Although apparently you don't have to, I submitted my application with my medicals - they cost about $350. If you dont submit them then DIAC ask for them later I think.

12) Everything you submit should be a copy with the exception of the application forms themselves, the medicals and your police checks which should be the originals. Read the section of the DIAC website about getting copies authenticated by a justice of the peace.

13) Lastly, we were told to include a detailed table of contents and to section our application as follows:

Cover Letter

Table of Contents

Applicant evidence and forms inc stat dec

Sponsor evidence and forms in stat dec

Joint evidence

Statutory Declarations from supporting witnesses

Photographs

were were also advised to hole punch everything and to put it into a folder with fasteners for easy reading - I have attached a picture of what I mean.

In your cover letter just state who you are, what you are applying for and some contact numbers and email if they wish to get in contact with you.

I hope this helps - sorry it's so long! :biggrin:

Simon

Guest peterpan89
Hi raptoruts,

To be honest I have no idea when your visa would be granted because it depends on DIAC (Department of Immigration and Citizenship) workload, your individual circumstances and the state of your application.

When you submit your application (I handed mine in to ensure it didn't get lost) the immigration department will issue you with a Bridging 'A' visa that activates should your WHV expire before they approve your partner visa..... you'll be able to remain in the country with the same restrictions and allowances as your WHV, but with the difference that you can't leave Australia without permission. If you wish to leave OZ (and then come back) you have to apply and pay for a Bridging visa B which can be granted for a maximum of 3 months in 12 and with a valid reason (Our friend stated visiting family as a reason and was approved - they apparently get a bit twitchy if you ask for multiple 'B' visas).

There are lots of points and tips that I came across during the six months it took us to pull the application together.

1) I think that the most important point is to make sure you apply for the right visa and that your are eligible for the visa (A friend of a friend recently applied for the 820 defacto visa but are gay and hadn't lived together for 12 months to it was denied - A friend had told them it was fine so they applied but he was wrong!).

2) Another important point as I read elsewhere that you're Italian is that you'll need two Police Check certificates from Italy (apparently a lot of Italians miss this - including another friend of ours) You'll need a Certificato Generale del Casellario Giudiziale and Certificato dei Carichi Pendenti della Procura. Take a look at the PDF on the DIAC website for more information. This is the last link I have: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/character-requirements/character-penal.pdf

3) Again, because you are Italian you'll need documents you're submitting in Italian translated by a registered translator here in Australia - again details on the DIAC website.

4) If you know someone who's been through the same visa process it'd be a good idea to get them to check over the application and give you tips.

5) Make sure you submit enough evidence to prove your relationship is genuine to the person reviewing your application - remember that they haven't met you and they get a lot of applications. Submit everything you have that supports your relationship: joint bank account statements showing use, joint utility bills, photographs, a sample of emails to each other if any, telephone bills, rental agreements,

6) Although the application checklist asks for 2 statutory declarations from supporting witnesses, our migration advisor told us to get 5, It's good for them to be Aussies too. it's good also to have your supporting photographs to include your witnesses with the two of you.

7) In addition to stat decs from others it's a good idea to submit other items sent from your friends/family to the both of you, Christmas cards, wedding cards, party invitations....

8) If you have travelled together then submit copies of travel tickets, pictures of the two of you there with a landmark in the background or something. mention your travels in your personal statutory declarations.

9) Just to tie off the photographs subject as I have mentioned it a couple of times, we submitted about 10 - both showing the two of us in foreign countries and also of us with our stat dec witnesses. To submit the photos in a tidy format we scanned them and printed them onto a statutory declaration that contained, who was in the photo, when and where it was taken etc. I have attached the file for you.

10) Our migration advisor told us that the applicants and sponsors personal stat decs are very important. We were told to write them chronologically starting when and how we met and then onto how the relationship developed. We were told to write them separately at first to ensure that our stat decs didn't sound copied. If you can also include holidays together in your stat dec and it's also good to mention your witnesses (providing the 888 stat decs) too if you all went to an event together or something. As a guide we were told not to write a book here but to be as detailed as possible - I know this isn't helpful really... mine was about 2,500 words in length.

11) Although apparently you don't have to, I submitted my application with my medicals - they cost about $350. If you dont submit them then DIAC ask for them later I think.

12) Everything you submit should be a copy with the exception of the application forms themselves, the medicals and your police checks which should be the originals. Read the section of the DIAC website about getting copies authenticated by a justice of the peace.

13) Lastly, we were told to include a detailed table of contents and to section our application as follows:

Cover Letter

Table of Contents

Applicant evidence and forms inc stat dec

Sponsor evidence and forms in stat dec

Joint evidence

Statutory Declarations from supporting witnesses

Photographs

were were also advised to hole punch everything and to put it into a folder with fasteners for easy reading - I have attached a picture of what I mean.

In your cover letter just state who you are, what you are applying for and some contact numbers and email if they wish to get in contact with you.

I hope this helps - sorry it's so long! :biggrin:

Simon

Thank you Simon for all your advice.

We are in the last few steps of bringing our application together, ready to go in January - and your posts have been so useful!

Btw, does anyone know where I can find the Brisbane office telephone number to book an appointment to hand my application in?

Guest raptoruts

Thank you so much SimonK, you have been so proactive and helpful.

Thank you really, I'll print down your advices and follow them...

cheers

Thank you Simon for all your advice.

We are in the last few steps of bringing our application together, ready to go in January - and your posts have been so useful!

Btw, does anyone know where I can find the Brisbane office telephone number to book an appointment to hand my application in?

Hey,

Just call the national general enquiries number they put me through last time, although I didn't get an appointment as such, I just handed it in, paid and got a receipt.

National Telephone Numbers

Cheers

Si

• 3 weeks later...
Hello,

it seems that since october this year, we can not frontload the application but have to send it to the Melbourne office only? you can confirm?

did some of you lodged their application in person in sydney's office over those past 2 months?

source

http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/visa-enquiries/_pdf/factsheet-partner-perm.pdf

I submitted mine at the end of October in Sydney..

I think the PDF you are referring to is for the second stage of the visa (if you already have an 820) however you can give them a call to check...

read this..

Partner Visa: Onshore Temporary and Permanent (subclasses 820 and 801)

Thanks

Simon

Guest aussie06
I submitted mine at the end of October in Sydney..

I think the PDF you are referring to is for the second stage of the visa (if you already have an 820) however you can give them a call to check...

read this..

Partner Visa: Onshore Temporary and Permanent (subclasses 820 and 801)

Thanks

Simon

yes but , as we have a 12 years relationship, we will apply to the 801 directly I guess.

thanks again for your help :wubclub:

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

it seems that since october this year, we can not frontload the application but have to send it to the Melbourne office only? you can confirm?

did some of you lodged their application in person in sydney's office over those past 2 months?

source

http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/visa-enquiries/_pdf/factsheet-partner-perm.pdf

Hi Aussie06

The source states on permanent partner visas. So depending on which either temporary (first visa) or permanent (after 2 additional years together) visa you are applying for. The permanent visa needs to be processed by Melboure, as I understand it all others can be done either Sydney or Brisbane etc depending on which state you live in.

Cheers and good luck :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi finally finally got my PR - submitted it Perth office in person front loaded with EVERYTHING in August and got it six months to the day. I spoke to them in November as i had to leave the country urgently and they said my PR had been processed and granted but they were unable to give it to me as Goverment legalisation or something was trying to bring the waits in line with the rest of the country -so when they said 6-9 months they meant it! Had nothing to do with how complicated it was or how busy they were etc .Totally out of their control. Got told this by really useful person working there unlike my case officer who did not contact me once from the day i submitted my aplication. If i had not gone down and luckily met this person would not have even had an email / call etc in six months. Is annoying as seen lots of people on here get it faster then that even after what i was told but thought would just pass on what i was told

good luck everyone!

Guest neiljbm

Congrats Fidget,

Submitted mine fully loaded in September so hopefully not long now.

I called the dept a few weeks ago and was told they no longer notify applicants that they have a case officer and contact would only be made if further doc's / info was required once your application had been assessed. I'm thinking no news is good news.

How were you notified that you have your PR visa?

Cheers

Guest tierneyballs

I submitted my application in Sydney in July, and have not heard anything yet. I rang Immigration about two weeks ago, just when it had been six months since handing in my application, and was told that the waiting time now was 6-12 months, rather than the 3-6 months first quoted. It's a bit disappointing that the waiting time for applying onshore is so long, while if you apply offshore they grant them within 4-6 months.

Congratulations fidget, it's great to hear that there is at least some movement with our visas :)

Hi Neiljbm,

My entire portfolio was sitting in my letter box this morning with letter saying it had been granted.

literaly the first i had heard from them in six months

Until i went down in person in November all my emails / phone calls were compleatly ignored not one reply except an automatic emails response promising a reply in max two days! Its a pretty mad way for a goverment body to operate!

Hello Everyone

This is my first post and first of all I would like to thank everyone as all this has been very very helpful!!!!

Maybe quickly to my story:I'm German,my partner Australian.I was in Australia for 2 years on a work&holiday visa.It was in this second year I met my partner (nov2009).So we just fulfill the 12 months requirement.My whv expired June 2010 and I had to return to Germany.My partner followed me 2 months later and we travelled around Europe for a while.Now we're both back in oz (I'm on a tourist visa) and I'm just about to lodge my partner visa application.I'm doing it without an agent as I can simply not affort it at all after paying the 3k and living of my savings as I can't work since I'm back in oz.

I have to say I'm pretty scared,it sounds like it's manly luck what it depends on considering most of all your application have been very well prepared and you all met the requirements.

I have one question you can maybe help me with.

Where can I find a statutory declaration form for the history of relationship or state that certain documents are true etc?I can only find form 888 which was for our friends to witness our relationship.

Thanks for every help in advance

Guest siamsusie
Hello Everyone

This is my first post and first of all I would like to thank everyone as all this has been very very helpful!!!!

Maybe quickly to my story:I'm German,my partner Australian.I was in Australia for 2 years on a work&holiday visa.It was in this second year I met my partner (nov2009).So we just fulfill the 12 months requirement.My whv expired June 2010 and I had to return to Germany.My partner followed me 2 months later and we travelled around Europe for a while.Now we're both back in oz (I'm on a tourist visa) and I'm just about to lodge my partner visa application.I'm doing it without an agent as I can simply not affort it at all after paying the 3k and living of my savings as I can't work since I'm back in oz.

I have to say I'm pretty scared,it sounds like it's manly luck what it depends on considering most of all your application have been very well prepared and you all met the requirements.

I have one question you can maybe help me with.

Where can I find a statutory declaration form for the history of relationship or state that certain documents are true etc?I can only find form 888 which was for our friends to witness our relationship.

Thanks for every help in advance

Welcome to PIO Mic:wubclub:.

You obviously have downloaded both 40 and 47 sp.

Page 24 of 47sp right hand side you will see "written statements from you and your partner"

You will enclose your separate statements outlining your relationships together.

It does appear quite nerve racking at first, but if you follow all the guide lines it generally falls into place.. Ask as many questions as you want on PIO!

There are many people from all over this world as members on PIO, many of us have been through this procedure and there is much help available.

Very best wishes Mic Susie x

Guest neiljbm

Hi Mic,

It can seem daunting but Its actually very straight forward, print off the 801/820 document checklist, start at the begining and work your way through it. Any problems PIO is your salvation almost everything gets an answer within 24hrs.

Stat Decs are easily obtained Google it. here's a PDF you can also download in Word format from many sites http://www.ag.gov.au/www/agd/rwpattach.nsf/vap/(cfd7369fcae9b8f32f341dbe097801ff)~statutorydeclaration200602.pdf/$file/statutorydeclaration200602.pdf

Good luck

Archived