Onshore Partner Visa Application time frame

Guest skiingbadger

Guest Venessa

Hi,

Another question on my head now. I am currently in a tourist visa in Australia. Been here since Dec 2008 by extending my visa so that i can live with my partner to satisfy the partner visa requirements. Now that i am applying for my partner visa while on a tourist visa. Would that affect the application? I dont see any other ways how i could live together with my partner. I am not allowed to be in a working holiday visa since i came from Singapore. Pls advice me. I am just little worried if my partner visa application could be affected in any way and seriously, its a lot of money.

Thank you

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi,

Another question on my head now. I am currently in a tourist visa in Australia. Been here since Dec 2008 by extending my visa so that i can live with my partner to satisfy the partner visa requirements. Now that i am applying for my partner visa while on a tourist visa. Would that affect the application? I dont see any other ways how i could live together with my partner. I am not allowed to be in a working holiday visa since i came from Singapore. Pls advice me. I am just little worried if my partner visa application could be affected in any way and seriously, its a lot of money.

Thank you

You are able to make an onshore application for the Partner Visa, so long as you are currently on a substantive visa in Australia, which a tourist visa is. I don't think DIAC cares what kind of visa you're currently on. The only thing I'd be concerned about is whether your tourist visa has a 'no further stay' condition attached - if it does, you're not allowed to make an onshore application and will have to file your application outside Australia. If there isn't such a condition, just lodge the Partner Visa application as soon as you satisfy the 12 month cohabitation requirement (though give it a few more days' 'buffer' if you can - they have been known to reject people who apply on the 365th day), and before your tourist visa expires.

Guest siamsusie
Hi,

Thank you

If you have been given a bridging visa Venessa and you satisfy the the "time limitations" then hopefully you should be able to lodge your "on shore" application if you are satisfied with the requirements. Yes if you are not able to work it is an expensive exercise but a Defacto Visa is the least expensive. Completely off the cuff without knowing your personal circumstances , do you think on application of an 802 visa (on shore) they might grant you a bridging visa as well as full working rights? Just a thought... maybe someone qualified could answer this one for you.:wubclub:

Hi everyone!

Been busy lately...can't even remember when my last post was.

Anyway, about the 820 visa, I lodged my application in Melbourne personally and it was granted in just 2 weeks. I guess it all depends on the case officers. Lucky if you get an efficient CO, unlucky if you don't.

I hope and pray that you all get your visas soon! or sooner.

If you have questions, I'm happy to help.

Cheers!

Guest welshn
Hi everyone!

Been busy lately...can't even remember when my last post was.

Anyway, about the 820 visa, I lodged my application in Melbourne personally and it was granted in just 2 weeks. I guess it all depends on the case officers. Lucky if you get an efficient CO, unlucky if you don't.

I hope and pray that you all get your visas soon! or sooner.

If you have questions, I'm happy to help.

Cheers!

Wow that is a quick one. I finally got my police certs and medicals to the case officers assistant in Sydney last week. I called her up directly on Friday and she said now that everything has been received she will pass it onto a CO and we should hear from them next. I hope this comes through real soon now. We lodged the file 5 weeks ago but the police checks for the UK and Australia took about that long to get back to us! The rest is all there and the case officers assistant said they don't need anymore info from me. Fingers Crossed!!!!

Will keep everyone posted :biggrin:

Guest welshn
Hi,

Thank you

Hi Venessa,

I would also follow the advice from Siamsusie too and see if you can get a bridging visa and get the work limitations lifted therefore you can keep earning whilst waiting. It can be done as my friend did it last year!

Guest Venessa
You are able to make an onshore application for the Partner Visa, so long as you are currently on a substantive visa in Australia, which a tourist visa is. I don't think DIAC cares what kind of visa you're currently on. The only thing I'd be concerned about is whether your tourist visa has a 'no further stay' condition attached - if it does, you're not allowed to make an onshore application and will have to file your application outside Australia. If there isn't such a condition, just lodge the Partner Visa application as soon as you satisfy the 12 month cohabitation requirement (though give it a few more days' 'buffer' if you can - they have been known to reject people who apply on the 365th day), and before your tourist visa expires.

Hi Qflyer,

My subclass 676 tourist visa was granted last year and expired on 9 Feb 2010. I went back to Singapore and came back on another ETA issued to me which allow me to stay for 3 months. In fact when i came back this time, i was advised by the customs officers to apply for a partner visa for the future. So far, there 'no further stay' condition in my previous or current visa.

Guest Venessa
If you have been given a bridging visa Venessa and you satisfy the the "time limitations" then hopefully you should be able to lodge your "on shore" application if you are satisfied with the requirements. Yes if you are not able to work it is an expensive exercise but a Defacto Visa is the least expensive. Completely off the cuff without knowing your personal circumstances , do you think on application of an 802 visa (on shore) they might grant you a bridging visa as well as full working rights? Just a thought... maybe someone qualified could answer this one for you.:wubclub:

Thanks siamsusie,

i have a valid tourist visa which will be expiring end of next month. So i am preparing my partner visa application and want to send it by end of this week but only my medicals and police clearances from australia and singapore are still pending. I have sent both my police clearance applications yesterday and waiting for their reply. I have also fixed an appt for medicals for this week followed by another one the week after. Hopefully all goes well.

Hi Qflyer,

My subclass 676 tourist visa was granted last year and expired on 9 Feb 2010. I went back to Singapore and came back on another ETA issued to me which allow me to stay for 3 months. In fact when i came back this time, i was advised by the customs officers to apply for a partner visa for the future. So far, there 'no further stay' condition in my previous or current visa.

Then you should be right with an onshore application so long as you lodge your application prior to the expiry of your ETA. Once you get your bridging visa, I would follow siamsusie's advice and apply to DIAC for a waiver that allows you full working rights whilst you wait for your 820 to be granted, citing financial hardship.

Guest Venessa
Wow that is a quick one. I finally got my police certs and medicals to the case officers assistant in Sydney last week. I called her up directly on Friday and she said now that everything has been received she will pass it onto a CO and we should hear from them next. I hope this comes through real soon now. We lodged the file 5 weeks ago but the police checks for the UK and Australia took about that long to get back to us! The rest is all there and the case officers assistant said they don't need anymore info from me. Fingers Crossed!!!!

Will keep everyone posted :biggrin:

Hi welshn,

I am going to submit my partner visa application by this week but without the medicals and police clearances. I understand from your post that you did an application without the medicals and police clearances. As for the police clearances from Singapore and Australia, i have sent my application to them and waiting for them to get back to me. I have fixed my medical appt for this week for the entire tests and another on in the week after to see doctor. My tourist visa will be expiring end of next month. i assume its going to take at least next 3 weeks for police clearances and medicals but my application to them going in this week. Any advise from you rgding this. Many thanks in advance.

Hi welshn,

I am going to submit my partner visa application by this week but without the medicals and police clearances. I understand from your post that you did an application without the medicals and police clearances. As for the police clearances from Singapore and Australia, i have sent my application to them and waiting for them to get back to me. I have fixed my medical appt for this week for the entire tests and another on in the week after to see doctor. My tourist visa will be expiring end of next month. i assume its going to take at least next 3 weeks for police clearances and medicals but my application to them going in this week. Any advise from you rgding this. Many thanks in advance.

Whilst people often lodge their application fully front loaded with meds and police clearances to speed up processing, I believe it is perfectly possible to lodge a valid application without meds and/or police clearances. Once you have lodged your application, a bridging visa will be granted to enable you to remain in Australia legally and this will be activated from the moment your tourist visa expires. Then submit the police clearance certificates and/or med results (I think Medibank sends your meds directly to DIAC if you already have an application in the system but don't quote me on that one) as soon as you receive them. They might require evidence of your medical appointment - so I would include the appointment receipt with your application to show that you have made arrangements to get your meds done.

Guest Venessa

Thanks Qflyer,

Your advise is really useful and gives some boost to the confidence in applying for this visa. Really appreciate ur sharings.

Guest welshn
Hi welshn,

Yeah that's fine. I submitted my file with a note at the front stating that I had applied for my police checks and I also included a receipt for my medical assessment which was done a week later. The results were sent to me and also sent directly to the DIAC. I received notification from the DIAC after a week of lodging my file which said I would need to send the police checks and then my file will go to a case officer for processing. In that interim period you are given a number of a CO assistant who you send the meds and police checks to directly. I actually called my assistant at the DIAC today and she told me that my file has all the mandatory documents now and will be presented to a case officer to process.

I was informed that processing times are 6 months in the Sydney office but she indicated that it will be sooner as they are going through a lot at the moment but ours is an open and close case really :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest skiingbadger

Hello all,

Well having started this thread a couple of months ago I am pleased to say that my 820 onshore partner visa was granted last Friday.

It took just over 11 (what felt like very) weeks from lodgement. I was asked submit a form 80 character assessment by the case officer last week so I quickly ran down to the Melbourne office that afternoon and handed it in. It was surprisingly very quiet in there.

Thanks for the advice and comments over the last few months and good luck to all those applying. Just looking through the threads and seeing the words 'defacto' 'partner' and 'visa' mean there must be loads of us out there.

Now to find some work and start paying back the money I owe to my girlfriend for keeping me in drink these past few weeks.

Salut!

Guest Dannie
Congrats skiingbadger! :jiggy:

lSkiingbadger, just seen you time frame, how quick was that. Taking forever at the london office

Guest Venessa

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the long silence. I would like to update all of you on my partner visa. After gathering a lot of documentations with the help of all your valuable inputs, i have submitted my partner visa on 30/04/2010. Now, keeping fingers crossed. I went to submit my partner visa (Subclass 820 and 801) in person at DIAC, Adelaide. They gave me a queue number and a person attended to me. I paid the fees and she printed a letter saying that i have been granted Bridging Visa A.

Thanks to everyone who answered my queries. I would certainly like to help anyone who has a question on applying a partner visa just like i did. I will be happy to share my inputs. Will keep you posted on the outcome. Good luck to all of you.

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the long silence. I would like to update all of you on my partner visa. After gathering a lot of documentations with the help of all your valuable inputs, i have submitted my partner visa on 30/04/2010. Now, keeping fingers crossed. I went to submit my partner visa (Subclass 820 and 801) in person at DIAC, Adelaide. They gave me a queue number and a person attended to me. I paid the fees and she printed a letter saying that i have been granted Bridging Visa A.

Thanks to everyone who answered my queries. I would certainly like to help anyone who has a question on applying a partner visa just like i did. I will be happy to share my inputs. Will keep you posted on the outcome. Good luck to all of you.

All the very best! :hug:

Guest Venessa

Hi all, just received a mail from Dept saying that i have only provided a very small amount of acceptable evidence to date and my further evidence should cover the whole period from the date my spousal relationship began to the present. I have given them photos and description since relationship bagan, current tenancy list stating both our names, stat dec from two of our Australian friends who knew about our genuine relationship, a joint bank account, greeting cards and emails addressed to both our names and personal statements. I do not share any bills or expenses with my partner yet because i am not working. My partner s looking after all my expenses. Now, i dont know what else i can provide. I cant think of anything else for now. Pls advise me if i can provide something which i have not thought about. Many thanks in advance.

Hi all, just received a mail from Dept saying that i have only provided a very small amount of acceptable evidence to date and my further evidence should cover the whole period from the date my spousal relationship began to the present. I have given them photos and description since relationship bagan, current tenancy list stating both our names, stat dec from two of our Australian friends who knew about our genuine relationship, a joint bank account, greeting cards and emails addressed to both our names and personal statements. I do not share any bills or expenses with my partner yet because i am not working. My partner s looking after all my expenses. Now, i dont know what else i can provide. I cant think of anything else for now. Pls advise me if i can provide something which i have not thought about. Many thanks in advance.

I have not been in this situation so can't offer much advice except to wish you the very best of luck and hopefully someone will chime in soon.

Some thoughts:

Try to ensure a fair amount of your evidence cover the entire duration of the time you've been together, in particular the last 12 months? For instance the lease with both your names on it should cover the entire 12 months, or the bank account statement etc. If not, try sending in letters addressed to either or both of you at the same address that cover the 12 months.

Re your lack of shared expenses: I'd explain this in a stat dec - preferably one written by your partner declaring that he supports you financially as you aren't working. Presumably you help around the house - shop for groceries, household chores, collect dry cleaning, gardening etc - so maybe also include a Household Chores Statement signed by both of you illustrating your contribution, as this amounts to evidence of how you support each other physically as well as to balance up the fact that you do not share expenses due to your financial circumstances.

I hope that helps! :hug:

Guest svanicek

Hi Vanessa,

Could I possibly ask you to list all the evidence you sent with your application? I, too, am a Singapore Citizen applying for the onshore defacto visa. I am currently on a student visa though, and in July 2010 I would have lived with my partner for 12 months (since July 2009), although we've been together since July 2008. Perhaps if I see what you've listed, I can figure out what I might be missing as well... Thanks!

Guest Venessa

Hi svanicek, I will definitely share with you once i am done. I have submitted my application but Dept is requiring more evidences. I am again going ard to collect them now. Once i'm done, i'll give you a detailed outline.

Archived